Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

As long as you stay within spec, they are reliable as hell. Push them past that, and they tend to give up quickly.

Some bad news, the Volvo intercooler will not fit between the motor and the frame, sop we'll have to seek another solution, for now the turbo will hook directly to the intake and we'll look at a better intercooling solution later.

Test fit the radiator:

Gotta trim the throttle cable, and start wiring.

Seems like an air-water intercooler solution is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Seems like an air-water intercooler solution is in order.

I was thinking the exact same thing, and with the spark plugs being so low, it would certainly make sense.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Does that manifold have the same issues as the ones on the AAN where cranking up the boost too much might cause the valves on cylinders 1 and 5 to burn up?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fuel lines are in and hooked up, gotta get some grommets to hold the lines.

Gotta get some things to keep the lines held to prevent cracking, but otherwise we're down to wiring and adding intake piping.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Having trouble acclimating to the heat, Commie? :banjo:

Today actually felt like summer for the first time this year. (Seriously though I hope you haven't died of heat stroke)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Having trouble acclimating to the heat, Commie? :banjo:

Today actually felt like summer for the first time this year. (Seriously though I hope you haven't died of heat stroke)

I am actually deployed to Qatar right now.

120 degrees daily.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I am actually deployed to Qatar right now.

120 degrees daily.

I just got back from Bahrain! What's up, middle east buddy?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

I just got back from Bahrain! What's up, middle east buddy?

Just returned Monday! So we should have some updates soon.

In the meantime, cheap tool box!

And, while I was deployed, my local machine shop shorted and drilled my 5 window distributor rotor for me so I can use it in the Audi 4k Quattro without the need to replace the ignition system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Brief update and to keep this thread active:

We're moving into our new house on the 18th, and I'm going to purchase two Audi 5000 Quattro 10v Turbo's for parts for a move in gift for myself.

Expect more activity later this month!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Brief update and to keep this thread active:

We're moving into our new house on the 18th, and I'm going to purchase two Audi 5000 Quattro 10v Turbo's for parts for a move in gift for myself.

Expect more activity later this month!

Glad to hear you're back, commie, and congrats on the new house! Are you staying NorthOTP?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Glad to hear you're back, commie, and congrats on the new house! Are you staying NorthOTP?

We'll be staying in the Lawrenceville/Dacula area. Within 5 miles of work and 20 miles of school, cheap house with no HOA and decent sized garage, it was too good to pass up.

So I can stack up parts cars and nobody can say poo poo except the city, but since I won't be stripping cars outside of the garage and will have any in process cars covered, I doubt they will say anything. :smugdog:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 9, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I found a thing....a rusted thing, but a thing none the less:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/4776502355.html

Guy claims its a rusty 1983 Audi Coupe Ur Quattro.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want those wheels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I want those wheels.

If it is actually what he claims it to be, the wheels are the least of the concern....

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Coupe Quattro isn't rare. However the Sport Quattro is a rare spectacle indeed. This is not a Sport Quattro.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

The Coupe Quattro isn't rare. However the Sport Quattro is a rare spectacle indeed. This is not a Sport Quattro.

In the US, its fairly rare.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

In the US, its fairly rare.

Not enough to care about that rolling rust trap, unless it's $50.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hey I found a vw fox wagon, can I come play?

No. 6 posted:

You don't pay much attention to the new england crew do ya. They weld together hoopties that were milled out by the 100 million.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

Meh, if its cheap, it'll still be worth it for the drivetrain. I want to find another 1980's Audi Coupe, that is what brought this up.

cursedshitbox posted:

Hey I found a vw fox wagon, can I come play?

Yes, you can!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I seem to remember TDIs fit perfectly. and a 20valver with a little cutting.

and awd with a lot more cutting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I seem to remember TDIs fit perfectly. and a 20valver with a little cutting.

and awd with a lot more cutting.

Yes, maybe not the 20v 5 cylinder..

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

We'll be staying in the Lawrenceville/Dacula area. Within 5 miles of work and 20 miles of school, cheap house with no HOA and decent sized garage, it was too good to pass up.

So I can stack up parts cars and nobody can say poo poo except the city, but since I won't be stripping cars outside of the garage and will have any in process cars covered, I doubt they will say anything. :smugdog:

No poo poo? I live in the Loganville/Snellville area! We should totally meet HP for some beers, and I would be glad to come and help you out if you ever need an extra set of hands. I don't know THAT much but I know enough to be semi-useful around a car :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

No poo poo? I live in the Loganville/Snellville area! We should totally meet HP for some beers, and I would be glad to come and help you out if you ever need an extra set of hands. I don't know THAT much but I know enough to be semi-useful around a car :D

Joiiiiinnnn usssss.

Moving day for the Audi! First time its left that garage in months:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is it fairly easy to drop a 5000 turbo motor into a 4000? seems like a fairly easy way to make power.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I'm also in the Atlanta-area (Fayetteville) and since I'm newly single, I have time on my hands. If you need an extra set of hands or anything, hit me up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Is it fairly easy to drop a 5000 turbo motor into a 4000? seems like a fairly easy way to make power.

Yes. Some manuevering of the CIS distributor is neccessary as the 5000 has a wider engine bay, but its a straight drop in.

You mean the 10v turbo, right?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. Some manuevering of the CIS distributor is neccessary as the 5000 has a wider engine bay, but its a straight drop in.

You mean the 10v turbo, right?

yeah, I'm assuming they both use CIS-E.

If I swapped a 16v into my 8v Scirocco would that be a good comparison in terms of difficulty?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

yeah, I'm assuming they both use CIS-E.

If I swapped a 16v into my 8v Scirocco would that be a good comparison in terms of difficulty?

Same idea, and the bolt pattern should be the same as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Merry Holidays, or something.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How do Swedes and Ze Germans feel being parked next to each other?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They don't really like being so close together, but they don't have the ability to move until someone replaces their transmissions accordingly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

On the plus side, 2/3 have 5 cylinders.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

On the plus side, 2/3 have 5 cylinders.

Still can't wait to see that car fly with the bigger motor.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can I post some scirocco goodness in here? I haven't done a lot of stuff to it lately but in the past its been your typical 80s VAG car shitshow. The previous owner cobbled it back together from about 8 different cars after buying it from a junkyard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Can I post some scirocco goodness in here? I haven't done a lot of stuff to it lately but in the past its been your typical 80s VAG car shitshow. The previous owner cobbled it back together from about 8 different cars after buying it from a junkyard.

By all means, I love a good Scirocco, been trying to pick one up.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Still can't wait to see that car fly with the bigger motor.

Oh, same, same. Trying to get the boxes out of the garage right now to make space for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Instead of buying the 5k Quattro, a better offer appeared:

I'm in deep doo doo

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 3, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh hey, is that pearl white, the 80s/90s Audi colour that is completely impossible to match on the cheap?

I don't see an S badge so you should just slap a mismatched fender on it and sell it to a university student who wants a posh German car for his parents to spend money on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh hey, is that pearl white, the 80s/90s Audi colour that is completely impossible to match on the cheap?

Yes it is.

1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v NA

$1,800.

Heated seats, locking rear diff, cat removed and straight piped to muffler.

I don't see an S badge so you should just slap a mismatched fender on it and sell it to a university student who wants a posh German car for his parents to spend money on.

This is going to be my fun DD while I take the TDI into the garage to send the turbo off for a rebuild/renew.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good deal, IMHO. I think you're becoming "that guy" for 5cyl Audis, soon you'll have people offering them to you instead of having to seek them out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Good deal, IMHO. I think you're becoming "that guy" for 5cyl Audis, soon you'll have people offering them to you instead of having to seek them out!

The other possibility is this: Return the 4k to stock and put the 3B into the 90, which is a drop in fit.

But for now, it will stay stock. Already got replacement passenger side light and turn signal lined up.

Send me your German orphans :retrogames:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 3, 2015

• Locked thread