Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
How tight are they torqued?
I wouldn't trust the HF ones, as the ball always snaps off.

At work I use these:
http://www.bondhus.com/products/l-wrenches/body32.htm

We put a cheater bar on the small end sometimes and put a lot of torque on the ball end and have yet to see one fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You could run low compression and boost it +30 psi ;)

Could you just have the head or block skimmed and run a thinner head gasket?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Do you really want piston oil squirters?
If so, could you tap the block and install them? We do this quite a bit in the Volvo world.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Is that the stock turbo setup?
Looks sweet and you're getting close!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

So stock is externally gated?
That's awesome!
My BMW is the same way. Germans sure like to over engineer things. Looks like yours would be easy to mod for more boost.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Be careful with those old KKK turbos. Porsche forums and the BMW turbo guys keep talking about how easy it is to damage one by over revving it.

This is what I have to deal with:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/300947474416

I need to either adapt the tial guts I have, or adapt the tiny tial MVS as that is the only thing that will fit between the manifold and strut tower. You've got it easy ;)

Are you running megasquirt on this?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

You're a terrible person. I'm going to go see a manual 91 Audi 200 turbo in a few hours.

I hope you're happy!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

The only thing that matters: 10v or 20v? I'm guessing 10v CIS right off.

20v!

Overheats but doesn't smoke supposedly. Definitely needs the expansion tank.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

gently caress Craigslist.

"Bro I'm at school until 3, let's meet at 3:30."

Go to bank, pull out cash.

Get a call at 3:30, "bro I just sold it."
:fuckoff:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Trouserchilli owned a V8 Quattro, it might be worth talking to him about the car pros cons etc.

I think he sold it after it's first autocross, as it started running on 4 cylinders.

Also UFO brakes.

No thanks!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Just purchased a 60-2 trigger wheel for the crank.
Nice. Make sure to check for run out if they're universal from diyautotune, I bought a few of these about 5 years ago and I had to chuck them up on the lathe and skim the OD because the run out was so bad.

CommieGIR posted:

No, the ignition will remain largely intact and a separate system. Megasquirt will just drive the EFI
Whyyyy???

The 5 window you installed on the dizzy will drive an ms for fuel and spark without the crank trigger (batch fuel, single coil + distributor spark).
You can also run just the 60-2 as a v10 in wasted spark mode and get rid of the dizzy altogether.
If you use the 60-2 wheel on the crank, you can make the dizzy trigger into a one window for cam sync and have sequential spark and even do coil on plug. Add 3 injector drivers and go full sequential.

You leave so much on the table when you don't do spark control.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

You don't, you tell ms that it's a v10 running on wasted spark. It's an old trick that I heard works.

E: see this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=42292

mafoose fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 17, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Wait, WHAT?!

It WILL?! How? Holy poo poo, if it can, I'd rather just do that! I already ordered the crank trigger, but if I don't even need it to get it running, gently caress it, it can wait.

Do you have a simplified wiring diagram that I can get to show how that would run with just the distributor hall?
The distributor looks a lot like the bosch unit in my old Volvo. Basically it has a +12v, ground, and signal out. If it's the same as the Volvo one, you build the MS box for a 5v pullup on the ignition input, and that's where you wire the dizzy hall signal into tach input. You then use either the built in bip373 to drive the single coil, or do a million other ways (HEI module, maybe stock power transistor, etc), to fire the coil. This is a basic batch fire setup with a single coil and dizzy. You run this with "basic trigger" or "distributor mode" (they call it one of the two now, I haven't used it in a while).

Once you get it to start, you adjust the trigger angle until both the MS timing and actual timing match up. I usually leave the dizzy in the middle of it's adjustment, start with a trigger angle of 60, then add or subtract in 10* increments until the car starts (MS spark output locked at 10*). Once it starts, I get out the timing gun, match the timing marks with what MS says by changing the trigger angle, then don't forget to tell MS to unlock the timing and use the table.

What kind of wiring diagram are you looking for?

CommieGIR posted:

Holy crap! This simplifies a lot!

You'd go with a AAN Plug and Coil setup a'la this:

On the firewall and just drive it that way.
If you've got the coils already, I suggest you do either full sequential with cam sync or the "v10" hack.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 17, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Are you making your own harness from scratch or starting with one that has the db37 pre terminated?

The injector drivers can handle up to 8 high-z injectors each. Since it's going to be batch fired anyways, you can just put all 5 on one, and save the other for staged injection in the future. Or split them up, either way you'll be injecting in "simultaneous" mode not "alternating."

mafoose fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 18, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

???

One side of the injector goes to switched +12v, the other goes through a resistor if low-z, otherwise directly to the ms box. They're grounded through the ms to fire. 1 resistor per injector (if needed). What gauge did you use for the harness? Specifically for the injector banks?

Technically the resistor is in series with the injector, but the resitor/injector pairs are parallel to each other.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Depending on how long I'm at work tonight and how much I can sleep, I might have a simplified wiring diagram for you tomorrow.

Lucky for you I just made one for a Volvo guy, so most of the hard work is done.

What are you doing for power distribution? I usually mount a second fuse block for everything efi related (ms box, injectors, ignition, wideband, etc. I power the fuse box using 14ga wire fused at the battery that is switched on by a 50amp relay.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

8ender posted:

If you fix this the automatic is going to grenade itself next

While doing 65 on the freeway...

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Unless your compressor has its own oil supply, you're going to have to change it.

R12 systems use mineral oil, which is not soluble in r152a, meaning it's likely accumulating someplace until your compressor goes dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Mafoose, I ended up charging the system with a can of Ester oil, checked compatibility and that seems to be the best match for R152A. Seems to be making it a little happier.

Esther oil works good on retrofits, that's what I'm running in mine.

• Locked thread