Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How much pressure can you put on a stock block before you start blowing poo poo apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
300 hp in a fairly light car, that thing is going to fly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah.... 300 HP is going to really be a kick in the rear end.

There is a huge line between a 250HP car and a 300HP car, for some reason, when you hit that mark, things become way better.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats the cutest timing belt.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Your intake is cute. 3/2 is just amusing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not much in the way of content, but I still love the thread and I can't wait to see this thing fly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Aren't the old KKKs decently reliable with in spec?

I know the 944 guys don't have much trouble with the turbos themselves... Its all the other poo poo. But god drat, when the boost builds that thing is going to FLY.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How do Swedes and Ze Germans feel being parked next to each other?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

On the plus side, 2/3 have 5 cylinders.

Still can't wait to see that car fly with the bigger motor.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Blade servers everywhere!

Between reading your thread and talking to trouserchili... I want a v8 quattro.

I hate you guys :argh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Is your ride home yet???

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Awesome! Now you just need a rover to add to the pile!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

It will be diesel converted. I told her that was the condition

I have been wanting one with the 5 cylinder diesel. Its a tractor engine but reliable.

But seriously. After getting stuck driving the future wife's sonata in the snow and then getting back in to the Rover there's no contest.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Superiorgermanbuildquality.txt

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm lagging here... All proper AI garages have at least 1 engine block hanging around.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Oh poo poo. I didn't even see the one on the stand! So 3 blocks?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

:black101: Soon, I will have more. I'm basically picking up every 5 cylinder Audi/VW motor that pops up on Craigslist, just because they are only getting more and more uncommon.

I have seen a couple of of the big V6 (305) engines from a couple of GMC's floating about. They are pretty rare, but they make some pretty decent power for their size. But the parts are starting to become a bitch to get.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm still in for a quattro when you get one printed!

Maybe you could do a inline 5 too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Trouserchilli owned a V8 Quattro, it might be worth talking to him about the car pros cons etc.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
In regards to megasquirt. I know it can't (or crudely) drive sequential fuel injection, but how would batch fire work on a 5 cylinder? I know with a 4, 6, or 8 it would just fire injectors evenly... but wouldn't one cylinder get more fuel than the rest?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

We're basically doing a V6 setup with an injector missing, driving 3 off one driver and 2 off the other.

In reality, we're basically doing a Ghetto eCIS system.

Ah, makes complete sense now. I was thinking how I would drive it with a even cylinder engine. I assume that you're running split manifolds in order to fool the 02 sensors in the computer into thinking every thing is kosher?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I'm not sure how we'll solve that yet, you bring up a good point.

How are Audi manifolds set up? I know if your in Georgia land maybe you can make a trip south to America's Wang and see if uf can weld up a split manifold.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thinking a little bit about it, a single 02 sensor should work. Are you using Megasquirt to drive the coil as well, or is that going to be its own system? I know BMW's of that vintage used Motronic to run the coils, Mercedes used a black box system, but I have no idea what Audi was doing then.

Id be interested, I know I plan to eventually run MS on the JJJJAAAAGGG, but just doing the simple TBI injection. I thought about driving the ignition with it, but it has an MSD system on it, so I may just run that by itself.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mafoose posted:

The 5 window you installed on the dizzy will drive an ms for fuel and spark without the crank trigger (batch fuel, single coil + distributor spark).
You can also run just the 60-2 as a v10 in wasted spark mode and get rid of the dizzy altogether.

Just wondering how you would get an engine to run wasted spark with only 5 plugs? Not trying to sound like an rear end, I am genuinely interested.

Or you could go full on coil near plug. Steal some coils off a GM LS motor and bam! Instant coil near plug.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy crap, nice lot of old motorcycles in that college. Plus the tricycle makes this thread that much better.

I have really been piecing together how to fuel inject a motorcycle, I have an idea on how to mount the injector, and other bits... Its the amperage that I'm running into. I don't think a bike alternator is going to put out enough juice to support every thing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

The bikes are my wife's, and as much as I think they are cool, I'm terrified of motorcycles and they are stealing floor space I desperately need.

Her trike is pretty cool, she wanted a bike but wanted one she could carry stuff in. Its got a 10 speed gearbox too.

E: :doh: I just realized you were talking about my son's little tricycle, not my wife's tricycle.

Hahaha, well, you could show pictures of your wifes tricycle too. At least your wife is into oily stuff, that's always cool.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am glad to hear your conversion is working out well.

I am planning on doing my Range Rover Classic AC with R152a, but my system doesn't have a low side cut off, just a TXV valve. I assume this will do all the poo poo that a low side cut off will, but I need to pick motronics brain a little more.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How do the bores check out? Assuming it functions just like any other compressor, they might be wore out.

But I don't know that much about it.... Also that's cool you took all that apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's awesome! (Sorry I have nothing else to contribute)

• Locked thread