Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hooray! I'm glad some permutation of this thread is back again.

How long until you get a 5-cylinder AAF Eurovan? Crappy head, amazing bottom end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The 5000 had its battery under the rear seat, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

Just make sure to get the special low-height battery so you don't end up like me shorting out a seat on the battery whenever you go over a bump.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
German apologists heading to a beer hall in mass groups amidst a nationalistic background and proceeding to heap abuse upon an easily-identified minority?

I see no problem with this. Good luck putsching your cars home.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh hey, is that pearl white, the 80s/90s Audi colour that is completely impossible to match on the cheap?

I don't see an S badge so you should just slap a mismatched fender on it and sell it to a university student who wants a posh German car for his parents to spend money on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good deal, IMHO. I think you're becoming "that guy" for 5cyl Audis, soon you'll have people offering them to you instead of having to seek them out!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

This thread made me go look for audis on my local craigslist and I found one:

http://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/4806818607.html

So that's where they all went.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sounds good, dude. You should get a better microphone or something so you can record it!

Makes me really miss messing around with 5-cylinder Audis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

A chilling discovery: Thermostat must be stuck open or removed. Engine never warms up

Could also just be a lovely parts-store thermostat with no jiggle pin, worn out wax, or a fragile spring.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, I thought my parts room was obsessive-compulsive, but you've got a lot more stuff going on. Don't change!

Sweet air tools, don't forget to oil them if they haven't been used in a long time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

What's your typical method of measuring the drained oil? Big glass kitchen style measuring cup? I feel like there should be an obvious smart way, but it's not coming to me.

A lot of the time oil bottles come with a grade on the side so you can measure how much you just farted into your car.

I always pour my used engine oil into the oil container it came out of originally, though I admit this solution doesn't work great for you here unless you have an extra empty bottle lying around.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

It's difficult to measure how much got all over the floor.

Surface area, motherfucker. Someone should make an iPhone app with OpenCV called "what the gently caress did I just spill and how much?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Steam engines don't need trigger wheels, little buddy. What are you building in there with those brightly coloured plastic tools?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's crying out: jump me. Jump me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, that's a pretty sweet workbench, good job.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Thank god it wasn't CIS-E. I think the injectors for the 5000 cost $200+ a shot so we replaced the o rings and sent them away to be cleaned.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What'd they do, run it on urine? The right side of that combustion chamber looks terrifyingly clean.

What's the air filter look like?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

K&N garbage, hasn't been cleaned in ages.

Ah, a clodsucker filter. Couple years ago I looked at a used Impreza with a prominent K&N sticker.

Lifted the hood and found that they had chopped the air piping all the way back into an open fender (missing fender liner) and stuck on a K&N pod filter which had clogged up with dirt, collapsed and had an open airway directly to the MAF where the seam on the filter had torn.

Closed the hood.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty sweet. Did you not have to put oil in?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Super kickass. Rock on, you crazy bastard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That doesn't surprise me at all. There used to be a video from some crazy Finns where they strapped a D24 to a dilapidated 740, stuck a stack out the hood (complete with flapper valve) and thrashed it in a field to the sound of Jessica Simpson's rendition of Take My Breath Away.

I'm pretty sure at one point they put an Audi I5 diesel on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ-kZc0vlyg

Here's more of that same car making the poof poofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfNi6QXxva8

Later, it made more poof poofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpn3w0qigo

It goes without saying that I would daily drive this fine automobile.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 1, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Their fabrication was top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1fbjQPKdQ

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm going to be honest with you.

Yes.

It's water injection and not at all a clumsy hack to keep the engine working for long enough to survive an entire filming with that China Syndrome radiator leak.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Had issues with the black Audi where the parking lights and dash lights would not come on, turns out it was the switch.

Now I have to learn how to rebuild the light switch...

I saw this on the 5000. Turn signal switch will also buzz, then burn up and emit smoke once the internal copper grease gets ate up.

I would not be surprised if the headlight portion of the combination switch is the same way.

Get a spare on hand, also take it apart over a very powerful magnet inside a box because it will explode like nothing else as soon as you open it up.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 8, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Put a water meth kit on it. Dunno how you'd implement the failsafe though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whoa, painting parts. Someone's going to Pebble Beach.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

More just grinding off rust and sealing the parts so they don't rust into oblivion. Its rubberized undercarriage paint.

What kind are you using? I used Noxudol 900 for the first time a few weeks ago and it was like holy poo poo but also I can't get any more without making a phone call and waiting a few months.

So much better than the Canadian Tire brand asphalt undercoating.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey I have that on my Subaru. I wonder what it is.

I assumed I had a hogged out front control arm bushing or something. But I've been trying to figure it out for months.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

It's bugging me still, I keep wanting to mount a camera on the back to make sure I'm not crabbing, but it drives so well and straight that I'm reassuring myself that nothings wrong.

I've had this stupid car for like three years and it hasn't stopped doing it since. At least with two people working on it maybe we can figure it out.

I replaced the ball joints, steering rack bushings, front endlinks, all four struts, bump stops, all four strut tops. The tie rods shake-check-out fine and don't appear to be bent. Steering u-joint linkage is tight, with minimal play through the rack. Front wheel bearings don't fail the shake test.

The only thing I can see left is the steering rack itself, or the rear front control arm bushing is so pooched it lets the car change caster dynamically and scribe a weird line when I turn. But it feels a bit like it stops acting dicky when I lightly touch the brakes, too. If I stomp on the brakes from high speed I sometimes get a clunk that I can't reproduce on successive hard stops.

I know the front sway bar bushings are pooched but that shouldn't matter, it's not like they're in bind.

Since I know this is your standard repair protocol, making the car jealous by buying other cars also hasn't worked.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Can you just pull a PWM idle valve off a junkyard Mercedes or something? That seems to be the go-to fix in the Megasquirt community for incompatible/hard to find idle valves.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What's up with your TPS reporting negative?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Happy tractor! Figure out the TPS yet?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You can get some nice oem air to water setups with some clever junkyard work. I would lean towards that and use water-meth on top if you're still seeing heat problems under like sustained use.

The Subaru top mount doesn't have puller fans. In fact on the Gorester I'm pretty sure they're hurting heat soak. It has a hood scoop with some relatively simple internal ductwork, which is awesome until you stop for a light or like aerodynamics. Maybe a backward cowl induction hood scoop would help?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think some of the All-Trac Turbos (and GT-Fours) came with air-water intercoolers, as did some of the JDM-market Legacy turbos. That last one probably isn't junkyard achievable but I've seen them on offer.

You could probably build your own system if you really wanted to, but it's probably not worth it: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Building-a-waterair-intercooler&A=113105

FrozenBoost has some cheap pumps and stuff that have worked out OK in the K-car and DSM community. Haven't tried their kits.

As for air-air, the Krauts have had many interesting packaging choices over the years. I know that the super/turbo Minis and VWs also have small side-mount air-air intercoolers. Maybe a windshield washer sprayer would help there as well.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 13, 2016

• Locked thread