Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Its the same head but it was $300 for it versus $400-600 other people wanted.

It is a real VW head though.

Hooooooooooooooooly poo poo. You can buy a whole goddamn engine for $300 here!

I bought a complete (disassembled) AEB 1.8T engine for £32 a while ago. The cylinder head alone is worth about 5 times that much to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

1.8T you might find for $300 here....the TDI motors, even busted ones, sell from $900-$2000.

For a TDI head? A new one runs $600-800 in the US. TDI motors come at a premium in the United States.

I need to start exporting diesel engines.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

AlternateAccount posted:

OK thank you. Now I just have to figure out if I want to be a cheapass and try to do the DSG service without vcds.

You'll find 99% of mechs just change the fluid and filter, no VCDS.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

AlternateAccount posted:

Whoa. That's kind of terrifying reading all the BIG SCARY WARNINGS. So just jack it up level, make sure the fluid is good and hot and try not to burn yourself while refilling? Or do they carefully measure what comes out and replace that much?

Jack it up, remove airbox/battery tray, remove the filter (unscrew the cap, let it drain, so it doesn't drip all over the gearbox), then drain the oil.

If it doesn't show any sign of leakage we measure the drained fluid (plus what has dripped off the filter) and replace that much, plus just a little bit more. (25-75ml usually) The whole fluid level measuring procedure is a pain in the rear end, and really only performed after gearbox replacement or rebuild. (Or with the Multitronic CVTs we follow the proper method for filling and checking level because they're finnicky shitboxes.)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

AlternateAccount posted:

What's your typical method of measuring the drained oil?

Precision guesswork.

We usually have an empty plastic oil bottle with a measuring scale up the side, nothing fancy.

• Locked thread