Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is it fairly easy to drop a 5000 turbo motor into a 4000? seems like a fairly easy way to make power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. Some manuevering of the CIS distributor is neccessary as the 5000 has a wider engine bay, but its a straight drop in.

You mean the 10v turbo, right?

yeah, I'm assuming they both use CIS-E.

If I swapped a 16v into my 8v Scirocco would that be a good comparison in terms of difficulty?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can I post some scirocco goodness in here? I haven't done a lot of stuff to it lately but in the past its been your typical 80s VAG car shitshow. The previous owner cobbled it back together from about 8 different cars after buying it from a junkyard.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

that intake manifold :fap:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I noticed something kinda funny: The air filter box for the 20v is a CIS box that they simply made a different cap for, so that the 10v CIS could use the same spot and air filter box.

As far as I remember (although could be very wrong) the exhaust manifold is on that same side which would make that a not so great spot if there is a turbo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Speaking of being in deep poo poo. Some Scirocco fun, did an overnight TSD rally recently.

All very good fun until the 8th regularity stage, which was adequately nicknamed "Horsepoop road", it was actually an ATV trail or something with some very deep tracks. This would be fine except I've put in some raceland coilovers as placeholders for suspension. For those that don't know raceland coilovers are $300 pieces of garbage that people use to slam their Rabbits, I've tried my best to raise it up as much as possible but there is a limit to that. As a result I heard a teeth shattering clunk about a third of a way through the stage as I passed over some frozen horse poop. Rest of the rally the handling was off and it sounded like I was running an open header.

Skid plate was completely wrapped around the K Bar, would've taken more pictures but to be honest I was pretty fed up. My dad thought I hit a tree stump, didn't have the heart to tell him it was horse poo poo. Ironically removing the skidplate fixed virtually everything, which is why I love this car. Oil pan is $40 and she takes a huge beating and just bounces right back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

:ohdear: I'm glad it didn't punch all the way through the pan, but that looks like you had fun!

Yeah, I wish I had set up my gopro if only for that biblical sound. I fully expected the oil pressure light to come on immediately after that. It was a complete blast but a 12 hour overnight rally in a Mk 1 VW is as brutal as it comes, high points include completely missing the road because it had a slight kink on it and flying into a ditch at about 40mph, nodding off at 4am only to realize at the last second we're pointed straight at a cliff straight into some trees and nailing the turn perfectly and much bitching from the subaru drivers that I'm weaving about the road in corners (must be fun having like twice the cornering speed I do sticking to normal road lanes).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pretty sure VW mechanic is code word for Meth head.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I must be an exception to the rule. But then again, I do have an unhealthy collection of computers

I'm just as bad, my parents used to get pissed because I loved taking poo poo apart as a kid and then lost interest when it came time to put it back together.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How difficult is changing an accessory belt on a 5000?

May have found a listing for a " 1987 5000S Quattro" even though the S was never a quattro :raise: but the ad is claiming alternator issues and its way out of town so this would likely rely on me getting it running and driving it back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

The 20v really does drive like a truck, all the power is in the upper half of the revs. Crazy feeling.

I got the same feeling when I did the 16v swap on my Scirocco. Engine didn't feel any different and probably marginally worse than my 8v in the low revs but as soon as you hit 4k rpm it just takes off.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It was so weird, I was almost disappointed driving around the neighborhood after picked it up, and then I got on the highway and got into the upper revs, completely different animal

Yeah when I first swapped the engine in I was going easy on it trying to see if there was any problems (Yup, detonation issues thanks to spark plug wires) and was extremely disappointed. I remember thinking what a waste of time it was and was concerned that I had bought a lemon engine. Once I got ignition sorted I was pretty happy, it requires a different sort of driving style that makes you look like a dick but its enjoyable.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Car runs and drives. What, you wanted COMFORT? Nein!

We gave you heated seats, plebe, that is ALL you need. No heater, that is for the ubermensch only!

Still have fond childhood memories of my dad somehow getting his beetle started in -30C weather and me practically getting frost bite in the back seat on any trip. It truly was a people's car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gopro's built in mic is awful. Got some footage of ice rallycross this weekend with a British guy yelling "power" on every straight. Thought I had gold. Went to edit it, you couldn't hear anything... :mad:

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 19, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If it's that cylindrical Bosch idle valve then good luck getting it to work. Those are completely miserable, I finally gave up and disconnected mine after trying a third one, the engine seems to idle better without it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If you're especially inclined to try a different one to see if the valve itself is the problem some late 90s/early 00s Kias and Hyundais used the exact same one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

Like putting a hextapus in a pickle jar!

At what point did VAG start chassis locking (?) their ECUs? I was warned off of swapping a likely-faulty W8 ECU for a new one because of this kinda thing.

Late 90s I think, maybe early 00s. It's just tied in with the engine I think but I'd have to ask my dad since he was the one that managed to get around it.

• Locked thread