Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
YAY! You are back! We missed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Good luck. We need more diesels running around.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Video is private?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Congrats! It runs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I am actually deployed to Qatar right now.

120 degrees daily.

I just got back from Bahrain! What's up, middle east buddy?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So, interested in 4x100 GTI Snowflakes? I'll have to see how many I have (it's at least 6, might be 8).

::EDIT::

\/\/\/ How many would you want, and you are out in CO, right? I'm in MA, so shipping won't be cheap. Most of them have tires mounted, but they are ancient. If needed, I can get the tires dismounted.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That loving blows.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Warming up for a diesel doesn't just mean temperature, you have to sit and let the engine get the oil moving around.

For instance: Detroit Diesels recommend a 5-10 minute warm up period before use in order to get everything lubricated before use or they will wear out prematurely.
Yeah, the Volvo I6 was just the Rabbit IDI motor with 2 more cylinders tacked on. Oil came up for the cam on Cyl 1, and didn't make it to Cyl 6 very well until it thinned out after being warmed up.

As for the DD, they also piss oil out of every orifice (and thru the block)... and everywhere else.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I found out why the 90 refused to idle properly with the AC on:

The Throttle Valve Closed switch was pushed back and could not get contact, so the ECU was assuming that the engine was always at partial-full throttle, causing the Idle Air Solenoid to open late.

Those microswitches are a pain. I had the full-throttle switch get gummed up once, and it caused all sorts of havoc. Sort of like a sticky secondary butterfly in a throttle body or Carb.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

That's what I was hunting. I was sure it was either an Idle Air Control Valve or O2 Sensor/Mass Air Flow Sensor issue, and found that.

A week later, and its working great.

Oh, are you still interested in VW Snowflakes? I think we chatted about it, and it got bypassed. I've got a bunch, and no VWs onto which to install them. I keep one set for the wife's Fit (wrong taper lugs instead of wheel bolts, yeah yeah yeah), but the rest can certainly go away.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I am, but I'd have to figure out shipping.

02559 is my zip. I can palletize and freight them, or ship courier (UPS/FedEx). I can probably get the tires taken off at some point if we're palletizing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Strut towers... That blows. Time to get out the grinder, POR15, and the gloves.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Do you have a proper CIS pressure test kit? I've got one that's just sitting here... probably needs new seals, but it was super useful when I had my 16v Rabbit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I do not. But I know the CIS is working normally, because if I do get the engine running smooth, it idles fine and revs easily. Also: If I try to get the distributor timed towards TDC, it starts to backfire and sputter. So cam timing is my likely suspect.

But I'd be interested in your test kit!

It looks like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151939082087
Same as: http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/544452-fuel-injection-tester-for-cis-k-jetronic-bosch-systems-2.html

All 6 adapters, 100PSI gauge, etc.

\/\/ Cool. $50 shipped work for you? PM me your address, and I'll ship it over. If it still works, then we can exchange funds.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Awesome! Yeah, I've been rebuilding the CIS stuff without a tester for a long time. Never had many issues.

I gotta get Platinum back to PM you.

username at gmail works too

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
CIS Pressure test kit is on it's way, should be there on Monday.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Better put a shield in front of the CV Boot... That'd be a real hot mess.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Nope, even with isolate ground its pulling down to -2 at idle, even with the butterfly flap cracked for idle air.

I may try using a ceramic capacitor to filter the signal to clean it up. I'm unsure if it will do anything, but worth a shot.

Got a scope capture? Post it, there's plenty of EE's here who might be able to diagnose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Exhaust welded up. Recommend me a turbo rebuilder.
NM, apparently Blaast has gone to poo poo. Too bad.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread