Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Hose guy screwed me, so I said screw it and finished the AC rebuild with the stock hoses. Had to lose the intake piping and filter for now, but added a 90 degree elbow to redirect turbo inlet to the hood so it'll avoid pulling in road debris. Still a tight fight with the suction hose, but it'll do until I can get the hose modified.

Added the high side adapter for my AC manifold.

Compressor suction side hose. You can see how close it cuts to the turbo outlet hose

I had to cut off the rear adjuster to clear the oil return line. No big deal, there is both a adjuster bolt and adjuster on the front to help keep tension.

You can see the suction line running alongside the turbo piping.

AC does work and is cold, but only on the center vent. I'll have to diagnose further later. Audi has a weird way of running the evaporator into the cabin: There is a hood over the cabin fan with a vacuum actuated door that closes. The Evaporator is mounted in the cabin with a hole into the hood, so that when the door closes, it's pulling cabin air through the evaporator into the cabin fan. So instead of having the evaporator mounted in front of the fan outlet, its pulling cabin air over it. Odd. But it works.

IIRC, that's standard. My Rabbit would only blow "cold" (read 2 degrees below ambient) air from the center vent due to the way the ducting is plumbed, as you said. From what I remember this was even in the owners manual and is a design "feature". Volkswagen. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

My buddy and I did a class project on his Forester XT using the windshield washer bottle and pump and just plumbed it into spray nozzles directly above the intercooler. Because we're nerds and it was an engineering class, we used an Atmega PLC to monitor air intake temperature and some other parameters to turn it on automagically. He said it made a really big difference in around town driving ie killing heat soak at traffic lights and such.

• Locked thread