Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

DynamicSloth posted:

Also this show is based on Marvel Comics, and in Marvel comics citizens aren't constantly wandering around freaked out by all the aliens and demigods running around blowing up the city every couple of days it's just a convention of the genre that society reverts to a semblance of relatable normality no matter what kind of crazy poo poo happened last week.

One of my favourite little bits in comics is in an issue of Blue Beetle, when Jaime has to explain why he's been missing for a year after Infintie Crisis, he just tells everyone how he was swallowed by a Fry Hole and ended up n the desert a year later (leaving out the superhero part) and everyone in town accepts it because that kind of stuff just happens, and in fact the same thing happened to some dude three towns over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Also this show is based on Marvel Comics, and in Marvel comics citizens aren't constantly wandering around freaked out by all the aliens and demigods running around blowing up the city every couple of days it's just a convention of the genre that society reverts to a semblance of relatable normality no matter what kind of crazy poo poo happened last week.

I mean, I honestly think this is how things would actually happen. Let's take 9/11 - people were lounging around in coffee shops not too far away from the towers later that day. I don't think it's a stretch. People gotta get on with their lives.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Just seen the most recent episode (5) and I thought it was much improved as it wasn't afraid to deal with more superhero/supervillain orientated material, whereas the previous episode pussyfooted around it, with only the alien hieroglyphs on the wall distinguishing it as being set in a comic book universe. Arc-wise, it did still feel a bit formulaic - "And this is the episode where a main character betrays everyone's trust and has to work to build it up again for the rest of the series". Still, at least Skye's backstory is being fleshed out.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

In continuing it's "throw in as much comic stuff as possible" Season 2 of Arrow is setting up Brother Blood to be a pretty interesting bad guy and has decided to throw in the League of Shadows and namedrop Ra's al Ghul to continue the Nolan film comparisons .

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

And I think someone in the other thread said the Russian dude was KGBeast!

Edit: Yup, it's him.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Waterhaul posted:

In continuing it's "throw in as much comic stuff as possible" Season 2 of Arrow is setting up Brother Blood to be a pretty interesting bad guy and has decided to throw in the League of Shadows and namedrop Ra's al Ghul to continue the Nolan film comparisons .

Next episode is called League of Assassins, so with a little luck the Arrow League of _ and Ra's will have nothing to do with the Nolan versions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So it looks like the next Agents of Shield is on the 19th and will have some connection to Thor 2, which no doubt will be a minor reference.

Phil what are you doing?
Oh I'm just reading my email from Thor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

twistedmentat posted:

So it looks like the next Agents of Shield is on the 19th and will have some connection to Thor 2, which no doubt will be a minor reference.

Phil what are you doing?
Oh I'm just reading my email from Thor.

Not quite. The next episode is next Tuesday, November 5th. However you are correct that the November 19th episode will directly connect to Thor: The Dark World in some way.

Given that troubles with SHIELD plays a big part of Captain America: The Winter Soldier I'm rather expecting a big Agents of SHIELD connection...maybe even the season finale...leading into the movie. I mean, hell, if they'll find a way to shoe-horn the Thor movie into AoS, how can they not do it even more so for a moive directly related to SHIELD itself?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

jng2058 posted:

Not quite. The next episode is next Tuesday, November 5th. However you are correct that the November 19th episode will directly connect to Thor: The Dark World in some way.

Given that troubles with SHIELD plays a big part of Captain America: The Winter Soldier I'm rather expecting a big Agents of SHIELD connection...maybe even the season finale...leading into the movie. I mean, hell, if they'll find a way to shoe-horn the Thor movie into AoS, how can they not do it even more so for a moive directly related to SHIELD itself?

Cap: TWS opens at least a month and a half or so before the season finale will air, so I wonder how it'll handle that chronologically. There have been rumors that upcoming episodes will have some foreshadowing of the SHIELD-related plot elements in the film, though, which would make sense.

Regarding episode 8 (the Thor:TDW aftermath one), as I said in the other thread: just please, make the nature of the tie-in more interesting than "bad guy threatens to get his hands on Svartalfheim laser gun MacGuffin" or the equivalent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barry Convex posted:

Regarding episode 8 (the Thor:TDW aftermath one), as I said in the other thread: just please, make the nature of the tie-in more interesting than "bad guy threatens to get his hands on Svartalfheim laser gun MacGuffin" or the equivalent.

No such luck!

"In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces – one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team."

Makes sense really, they can't really do crossovers in quite the same way that comics do, everything has to be contained to it's own medium

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's not really a laser gun, but there's a piece of the Dark Elves' 'arsenal' that fits the bill for what they could do really easily and would make the most sense with that synopsis.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Opopanax posted:

No such luck!

"In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces – one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team."

Makes sense really, they can't really do crossovers in quite the same way that comics do, everything has to be contained to it's own medium

Eh, that description is still vague enough that I'm willing to reserve judgment for now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The Appeal Masochism. If you hate yourself this is the show to watch because it is unbelievably garbage. It somehow manages to be worse than the comic and the comic was already an embarrassment to the medium of sequential art.

The comic got pretty crappy after a really strong first few arcs but I think you're being a wee bit hyperbolic.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Barry Convex posted:

Eh, that description is still vague enough that I'm willing to reserve judgment for now.

When I first heard about the Dark World connection, my first thought was that you could have a single Dark Elf remain on earth, and they'd be a huge threat to a street-level team like Coulson's SHIELD group because those things are on a physical par with an Asgardian, but where do you go with that?

I'm leaning towards one of the singularity grenades, or some Kurse juice, however.

My first thought when waiting for the movie was about to start was whether they'd address Thor 2 in the TV show. Firstly so I have an idea of the chronology, but then because it seems like an obvious marketing tool. "I'm watching Shield, and they are mentioning stuff from this new movie, I should go and see it!"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It'd be neat if it was the big ice monster that got left in London during the big fight, but I don't think they could do it on a TV budget.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I want them to befriend the ice monster and keep it as a pet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CW has announced another DC show in development, this time its Hourman but instead of the whole super drug addict thing they're apparently giving the character the power to see things one hour into the future. I have no clue whether or not Hourman has ever had that ability.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah the second Hourman started off using the same drugs as his dad, got addicted, then got cured of the addiction by a time travelling android who gave him a "Tachyon Hourglass" that let him see an hour into the future.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure in Geoff Johns JSA that was a thing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
He also had the bonus gift of exactly one hour to spend with his father in limbo immediately before he died, spent in chunks as long or as short as he wanted. Which, let's face it, is the ultimate gimmick for a season-long story arc.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I kind of love it, especially if they go into the legacy factor AND the addiction factor. Show flashbacks of Golden Age Rex Tyler getting addicted not only to Miraclo, but also the adrenaline rush, the physical power, and even the fame and fortune, contrasted against Rick Tyler trying desperately to live up to his father's legend while at the same time hoping to escape his shadow.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's Victoria Hand from Agents of SHIELD

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Huh, maybe this means we might actually see SWORD sooner or later?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Some kind of modified Dark Reign storyline would actually work well in a show format

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

404GoonNotFound posted:

Considering Marvel is opening up the door to space next year, I would bank on it happening in some form or another. If AoS were more popular, I could even see a spin off involving SWORD.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Some kind of modified Dark Reign storyline would actually work well in a show format

I really don't know if there's enough major league bad guys for this to happen. And the whole other aspect besides "bad guys take over" is "good guys are driven underground/not trusted".

I'd be fine if the show took some time to develop Hand for a season or two and then let the movie people decide if they wanna advance her plot any more. We really don't know a lot about her before her death other than she was a low level SHIELD accountant and was probably a lesbian.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

404GoonNotFound posted:

She was HAMMER not SWORD. Abigail Brand was SWORD.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dacap posted:

She was HAMMER not SWORD. Abigail Brand was SWORD.

Yeah, but they're working in more of the Bendis run and there's that ever-persistent rumor that they want to introduce Carol Danvers to the Cinematic Universe, so it's looking more and more likely.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist are heading on Netflix, culminating into The Defenders in 2015: http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
drat Marvel. They're going all out. So that's one 13 episode season guaranteed for each one, and then an eventual mini-series team up for them all? Wonder if that will be one each year, or if they'll be closer together. Otherwise seems odd to get Daredevil first, then wait several years before he shows back up in the team up series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Alright Marvel.

Now's the time to just recreate the whole period where Daredevil and Alias kept crossing over under Bendis and you can have Secret War be the "Defenders" blow off.

EDIT: Also I hope Terry Crews can fit in the time with Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 7, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teek posted:

drat Marvel. They're going all out. So that's one 13 episode season guaranteed for each one, and then an eventual mini-series team up for them all? Wonder if that will be one each year, or if they'll be closer together. Otherwise seems odd to get Daredevil first, then wait several years before he shows back up in the team up series.

There is a good chance that they will do things like have Jessica Jones be Matt's bodyguard or he hires her for a case. I assume that Alias might be the last or first one. It could introduce all the characters without focusing on them or have alll the character cameo to get ready for the Defenders.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Based on the news when this rumor was first reported last month, it was said to be a 60 episode order. So it looks like:

"Season" 1 - Daredevil: 13 episodes
"Season" 2 - Jessica Jones: 13 episodes
"Season" 3 - Iron Fist: 13 episodes
"Season" 4 - Luke Cage: 13 episodes
"Season" 5 - Defenders: 8 episodes

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 7, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo, Marvel's going all in. :woop:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
All I want from the Iron Fist series is for it to be like The Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction. I also hope we get Fat Cobra on our TVs. I also hope that the Daredevil show will be mostly The Man without Fear and end with some bullseye stuff. I do not think Elektra is needed unless she too will be joining the defenders.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

If it proves popular, seems like they could do a season "2" of them, like another solo Daredevil, a Heroes for Hire one with the other three. Then maybe add a new round with one for Punisher and one for someone like Moon Knight.

So what I'm saying is, Sticky Fingaz for Blade season 2. :downs:

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 7, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

For over a decade I have wished for a parallel television series to run with one of the comic book movies and develop the world alongside them, even act as a breeding ground for properties that probably couldn't support a film by themselves. It's so awesome that Marvel's not only doing that but taking the idea even further, meanwhile DC is floundering to get more than one successful movie or television property on the screen in the same year :bang:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

McSpanky posted:

It's so awesome that Marvel's not only doing that but taking the idea even further, meanwhile DC is floundering to get more than one successful movie or television property on the screen in the same year :bang:

Hey now, on TV they have Green Arrow and will eventually have Flash... and possibly Hourman... Everyone loves Hourman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

Based on the news when this rumor was first reported last month, it was said to be a 60 episode order. So it looks like:

Yesssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Teek posted:

So hyped right now.