Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I really loving hope that anyone involved with Agents of Shield is not involved whatsoever with these Netflix series. Also, LUKE CAGE!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Ok, I am really on the fence now when it comes to AoS, I had really high hopes for this series but so far I have been nothing but bored. I am starting to feel like my disappointment is catching up with my excitement for what this series could have been.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Kinda amazes me that Marvel is still pretending Hell's Kitchen is a crime-ridden ghetto and not a thoroughly gentrified neighborhood full of gays, yuppies, and gay yuppies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hooray and all, but those are precisely the heroes that ought to be showing up on Agents of SHIELD if they want anyone to actually watch that show ever.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

CapnAndy posted:

Hooray and all, but those are precisely the heroes that ought to be showing up on Agents of SHIELD if they want anyone to actually watch that show ever.

I think they'll have a better tone and production value on Netflix than on ABC. I much prefer this to having them on AOS

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'll give Marvel credit for making a huge Tv initiative when they haven't had much luck for Agents of SHIELD

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If I don't see Doctor Strange, it's not the Defenders :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Solaris Knight posted:

I'll give Marvel credit for making a huge Tv initiative when they haven't had much luck for Agents of SHIELD

What do you mean? The show is getting really good ratings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

None of those heroes belong on Agents of SHIELD from what we've seen of it tone wise. Agents of SHIELD is a souped-up police procedural not a superhero show.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
A shorter Netflix series should encourage the shows to have longer and more complicated storylines. The big problem with Shield is that it is purely episodic threat of the week poo poo right now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you mean? The show is getting really good ratings.

Agents of SHIELD is rocketing up the charts in ratings, yeah. Comic goons may or may not like it, but there are a lot of eyeballs on it, and that's what matters for Marvel and its partners.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm excited as hell for the new shows and being on Netflix they can say poo poo or show blood once in awhile.

AoS is also good, but let's be real, it's a network show aimed at the kids who like the movies and comics, it is entirely "safe" and with that in mind it's also good, I get the feeling that people are bitching about it because of what it could never be.

Also, Terry Crews for Luke Cage, make it happen Marvel.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Agents of SHIELD is rocketing up the charts in ratings, yeah. Comic goons may or may not like it, but there are a lot of eyeballs on it, and that's what matters for Marvel and its partners.
Oh, last I heard it was bleeding viewers. Complaint rescinded, then.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I wonder if they'd do an Immortal Iron Fist adaptation or if they're keeping it street level. I just want a live action Fat Cobra

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, last I heard it was bleeding viewers. Complaint rescinded, then.

I think a lot of that was 'The sky is falling' after it dropped from the first week or two. Which is always, always going to happen and doubly so with a pilot pushed as an 'event' like SHIELD's was.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Dacap posted:

I wonder if they'd do an Immortal Iron Fist adaptation or if they're keeping it street level. I just want a live action Fat Cobra

I'm betting just street level for budget reasons.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I'm curious if Punisher is going to show up in this

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CapnAndy posted:

Eh, I assumed that Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist were being reserved for other projects, and I'm not sure how well Jessica Jones would fit.

Now, some of their villains... that could be more of an issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Eh, I assumed that Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist were being reserved for other projects, and I'm not sure how well Jessica Jones would fit.

Now, some of their villains... that could be more of an issue.

I assume we will be getting Kingpin and Purple Man at least.
I also assume that the Punisher will be saved for season 2.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

I think a lot of that was 'The sky is falling' after it dropped from the first week or two. Which is always, always going to happen and doubly so with a pilot pushed as an 'event' like SHIELD's was.

Overall 18-49 same-day ratings have continued to drop gradually, though. It's a ways off from being consigned to a single season, but it hasn't quite found its level yet.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Error 404 posted:

AoS is also good, but let's be real, it's a network show aimed at the kids who like the movies and comics, it is entirely "safe"

Define 'safe'. In five episodes we've already had women prancing around in their underwear, Ward beating the poo poo out of people, corpses in just about every episode, a woman being immolated, fairly liberal use of firearms, and a bomb going off in someone's head. The "show is aimed at kids" argument doesn't really hold up if you actually watch the show.

It sure sounds great to say, though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

Define 'safe'. In five episodes we've already had women prancing around in their underwear, Ward beating the poo poo out of people, corpses in just about every episode, a woman being immolated, fairly liberal use of firearms, and a bomb going off in someone's head. The "show is aimed at kids" argument doesn't really hold up if you actually watch the show.

It sure sounds great to say, though.

When compared to a lot of things in the same timeslot, yeah it is safe, and it's the kind of stuff that shows up in exciting actiony shows that kids watch, the only example of yours that actually holds water is the lady getting immolated in terms of graphic poo poo shown on screen.

Everything else is either implication, or it's the same poo poo seen everywhere else.

But hey, it sure is nice to feel smug that a children's show isn't "complex" enough for you.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume we will be getting Kingpin and Purple Man at least.
I also assume that the Punisher will be saved for season 2.

If they're not putting in Strange Kingpin makes the most sense, he can be the big bad behind everything in the solo series, then they all team up to take him out in Defenders. I guess they're just calling it Defenders because that sounds better than Marvel Knights

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Error 404 posted:

When compared to a lot of things in the same timeslot, yeah it is safe, and it's the kind of stuff that shows up in exciting actiony shows that kids watch, the only example of yours that actually holds water is the lady getting immolated in terms of graphic poo poo shown on screen.

Everything else is either implication, or it's the same poo poo seen everywhere else.

But hey, it sure is nice to feel smug that a children's show isn't "complex" enough for you.

You realize that kids can actually enjoy shows that aren't targeted at them, right? AoS is clearly targeting the 18-35 group, just like every Whedon show ever created, but it has appeal outside of that age bracket. Just because kids can watch and enjoy something, doesn't mean that something is clearly targeted at them.

EDIT: Also, in general, shows can be 'safe' and still not targeted at kids. Although 'safe' is a really terrible and subjective metric to judge a show by, since it could mean entirely different things to different people. AoS is clearly 'safe' if you are comparing it to Law and Order: SVU, but not if you actually compare it to the source material.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 7, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

If they're not putting in Strange Kingpin makes the most sense, he can be the big bad behind everything in the solo series, then they all team up to take him out in Defenders. I guess they're just calling it Defenders because that sounds better than Marvel Knights

There is also the fact that they do not have the rights to Silver Surfer. I also think that Strange is getting a movie.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Strange was on the Ultimate Knights so he could still fit in with Kingpin as the big bad if they go with that version of him.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

You realize that kids can actually enjoy shows that aren't targeted at them, right?

They sure can! But you're sidestepping the fact that this show, and the movies they come from are targetted at kids, they're PG-13 at most, and refusing to engage them as such is ridiculous.

Comic fans these days are largely adults, but comic fans are not actually who these shows/movies have been aimed at. These are aimed at the kid who will buy the captain america backpack and lunchbox because merch money is more lucrative by orders of magnitude than catering to The Comic Book Guy. Any edginess that leaks beyond that is going to be in little nods and winks to the grown ups that most kids media has been doing for years.

Complaining about simplistic characters and plots in media designed for people who haven't been immersed in similar characters and plots for decades, is smug and moronic.

Fake edit: you want edgy, go watch Punisher: War Journal or something

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Error 404 posted:

They sure can! But you're sidestepping the fact that this show, and the movies they come from are targetted at kids, they're PG-13 at most, and refusing to engage them as such is ridiculous.

I don't agree that the movies and AoS are written for and targeted at kids. However, they are very accessible to kids, which in turn allows Marvel/Disney/Fox/whoever is producing super hero movies to use those franchises to specifically target kids in the toy market.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

I don't agree that the movies and AoS are written for and targeted at kids. However, they are very accessible to kids, which in turn allows Marvel/Disney/Fox/whoever is producing super hero movies to use those franchises to specifically target kids in the toy market.

My argument essentially is this: A show that is accessible to kids is very much more likely to have simplified themes and situations that are unsatisfying for adults who have seen those same themes done with much more subtlety elsewhere and seen them repeated so much more often, but that taking the show to task on that level is akin to yelling at a teacher for not teaching Shakespeare or Algebra to first graders. That poo poo takes time.

I'm entirely in agreement that the characters are flat and the plots are simple, my disagreement is in that being a bad thing for AoS, or Marvel/Disney.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is really cool. All of these heroes make way more sense on TV than they do on the big screen, so I'm glad they're not trying to force an Iron Fist movie or something when it probably would never be a huge success. Netflix is a really interesting partner, too.

Agents of SHIELD is heavily flawed, but there's so much potential in this space and it's really exciting that they're getting behind it in such a big way.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I'm mostly excited for Iron Fist, because my TV shows have been severely lacking in awesome balls-to-the-wall kung-fu fights.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I've wanted them to make an Iron Fist / Power Man 70s style kung fu movie for a few years now, but this could be a good alternative.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

And the DC train keeps on churning and Rob Thomas is working on an iZombie show for the CW (despite the series being cancelled last year).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fred is on posted:

I'm mostly excited for Iron Fist, because my TV shows have been severely lacking in awesome balls-to-the-wall kung-fu fights.

Have you not been watching Arrow?

Waterhaul posted:

And the DC train keeps on churning and Rob Thomas is working on an iZombie show for the CW (despite the series being cancelled last year).

I really like I, Zombie, up until the end when they got cancelled and had to cram a bunch of plot in to the last couple issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Have you not been watching Arrow?

I really like I, Zombie, up until the end when they got cancelled and had to cram a bunch of plot in to the last couple issues.

Yeah the ending was bad as it seemed that they had to bring characters from c-z in order to get the ending that they wanted. Also if they are going to do any Allred series I would rather them do Madman.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah the ending was bad as it seemed that they had to bring characters from c-z in order to get the ending that they wanted. Also if they are going to do any Allred series I would rather them do Madman.

X-Statix.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

Vertigo doesn't let creators keep their work? Roberson was booted off a DC book for voicing his opinions on Before Watchmen, so I could see this being awkward. It'll probably be a neat show, tho. It has a good episodic formula with a good pool of supernatural bullshit to bring in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Vertigo doesn't let creators keep their work? Roberson was booted off a DC book for voicing his opinions on Before Watchmen, so I could see this being awkward. It'll probably be a neat show, tho. It has a good episodic formula with a good pool of supernatural bullshit to bring in.

Nope unless its a special case then DC owns the characters.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Are these tying in to the MCU or are they stand alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope unless its a special case then DC owns the characters.

If that's true I don't really see any reason to like Vertigo anymore. That news really depresses me.