Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

If that's true I don't really see any reason to like Vertigo anymore. That news really depresses me.

How is that shocking? DC owns John Constantine, Swamp Thing, The Endless, and basically every other character. It also could be a case where the written under contract and therefore everything he did would be owned by DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bobkatt013 posted:

How is that shocking? DC owns John Constantine, Swamp Thing, The Endless, and basically every other character. It also could be a case where the written under contract and therefore everything he did would be owned by DC.

Well, technically those are bad examples because they were created pre-Vertigo. I think the contracts are a bit different, but ultimately I think the rights still fall to DC.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Vertigo is almost dead, anyways.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

omg chael crash posted:

Are these tying in to the MCU or are they stand alone?

That's my question as well.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Please no. Doop is already dangerously close to becoming as overexposed as Wolverine was in the 90s and Deadpool in the 00s, despite Jason Aaron's best intentions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Please no. Doop is already dangerously close to becoming as overexposed as Wolverine was in the 90s and Deadpool in the 00s, despite Jason Aaron's best intentions.

How so? He is in one book and he basically just cameos in that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Soonmot posted:

Vertigo is almost dead, anyways.

Especially with Fables and its related tie-ins closing up shop soon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Doop hasn't been a major character in a comic for nearly a decade now.

Anyway, I don't think X-Statix would really work? Maybe if you could get Adult Swim to throw in, but I can't see many venues for a profoundly misanthropic superhero series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

X-Statix is one of those books that works only as a comic. I'd never want to see someone try and adapt it.

omg chael crash posted:

Are these tying in to the MCU or are they stand alone?

I would hope that they stand alone and just don't contradict the films so people don't have to worry about things. Trying to do Alias in the style of the films or Agents of SHIELD would be awful.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They don't have to do it in the same style, just because it all takes place in the same universe.

Asides from the occasional crossover, the different Marvel storylines rarely interfere with each other, simply because they take place on such different levels. That goes even double for the MCU. Cap is a government agent, same goes for Shield, Thor mostly handles problems in the nine worlds and Tony Stark fights international arms dealers, so none of them really operates on a street level.

If you have a world were superpowers become much more common as time goes on, like the MCU, then eventually they will bleed into street crime, simply because they have become an every day occurrence. That also explain why Shield or the Avengers don't take care of them, because the level for their intervention raises over time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope unless its a special case then DC owns the characters.
This is to big of a generalization, but no, not all Vertigo titles are and were produced under strict work-for-hire contracts.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Considering the events of AoS have seemingly little to nothing to do with what we are going to see in the next phase of films, I would say that is pretty indicative of how little a show set in the MCU can be involved in its trappings.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
So I know nothing about Iron Fist. Is it weird that I want him to be Asian? I just know he has magic martial art powers and I would like more Asian leads in tv shows.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It could work. Like, there's no reason for him not to be Asian American.

It'd be better if Daredevil was though. Russo swerve!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

So I know nothing about Iron Fist. Is it weird that I want him to be Asian? I just know he has magic martial art powers and I would like more Asian leads in tv shows.

It's not integral to Danny Rand's character to be a white guy who became heir to an asian culture's super secret martial art, but I don't think we need more "asian=kung fu" stereotypes in popular culture.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It would be great if someone did something with the idea that Rand grew up as a minority and didn't come to America until he was pretty old. Maybe that was played up in the original Power Man and Iron Fist, but it was fairly absent from Fraction's work.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Lurdiak posted:

It's not integral to Danny Rand's character to be a white guy who became heir to an asian culture's super secret martial art, but I don't think we need more "asian=kung fu" stereotypes in popular culture.

I know that's not ideal but on the other hand there are really really few Asian male leads.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So who's the current fan dream casting wish for Kingpin? Chiklis?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Teek posted:

Not nearly big enough. I miss Michael Clark Duncan. :(

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Teek posted:

Off the top of my head I'd say Paul Sorvino, but Chiklis is not a bad choice.

I wonder if they'll go with a white guy or not though. A lot of people are only going to know Michael Clarke Duncan in the role

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dean Norris, if they're going with the 'built, not fat' concept.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The problem with Dean Norris and Chiklis is that they're both 5' 7''.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

Cast a really short guy as Daredevil?

Make them stand on a box?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah that's true, but we also don't need more white guy leads either, martial arts masters or not.

So hey they can make him black.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Soylentbits posted:

I know that's not ideal but on the other hand there are really really few Asian male leads.

I would be surprised if Shang-Chi doesn't have a major role in at least one of the Netflix series.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Actually I think Danny being a rich white dude raised in kung-fu paradise who's best friend Luke is a poor black guy out of Harlem who got his powers from a prison experiment actually is an important part of both characters. That's a big experience gulf to overcome to be casual friends much less friends who would lay down their lives for each other, the fact that they overcame that gulf says a lot about both of them.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 9, 2013

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Whoever Danny Rand is you can rest assured the show is going to be chock full of mysterious old Asian martial arts masters.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

Whoever Danny Rand is you can rest assured the show is going to be chock full of mysterious old Asian martial arts masters.
Including Stick, assuming he's included in the Daredevil show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Teek posted:

WELLLLLLLLLL!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gavok posted:

WELLLLLLLLLL!

That would be loving genius casting.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

It would be like casting 6' 1" John Rhys-Davies as a dwarf.

(No but really, I agree it would become pretty tiresome to have to rely on forced perspective and alternating shots just to have your big imposing villain character not look like a shrimp on television.)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gavok posted:

WELLLLLLLLLL!

It's just a shame that he's a giant so will be dead by the time the TV shows are being made.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

It's just a shame that he's a giant so will be dead by the time the TV shows are being made.

He's only got 5 more years until he's as old as Andre the Giant was when he died. :ohdear:

But he's also been acting in TV shows and movies since the 90s and he's stated that he's keen to do more acting so hopefully he lasts a bit longer.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Peter Dinklage for Kingpin. Seriously, just cast him and never address it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Happy Hippo posted:

Peter Dinklage for Kingpin. Seriously, just cast him and never address it.

This, but have a really big dude be his 2nd in command who we think is the real kingpin until a surprise reveal.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

He got surgery to halt the acromegaly in 1992, his health actually isn't an issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

He got surgery to halt the acromegaly in 1992, his health actually isn't an issue.

Well, he is overweight and also a wrestler, so his life expectancy still isn't that hot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

WELLLLLLLLLL!

The most disturbing thing about all of this is that this gif makes him look like a huge Kevin James.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That would be loving genius casting.

I like Big Show and all but I really can't imagine him pulling off the whole "acting" part of the gig for a cold, intellectual villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's only got 5 more years until he's as old as Andre the Giant was when he died. :ohdear:

But he's also been acting in TV shows and movies since the 90s and he's stated that he's keen to do more acting so hopefully he lasts a bit longer.

CapnAndy posted:

The promo is only a few months old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZxBH9mV6j4