Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Do you know though, I think that nice lady might not be entirely trustworthy :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hey. I knew what you were talking about. :hfive:

Ironf
Jul 29, 2004
Visit Homegame Industries www.homegame.org
Would it be asking too much to get Luke Cage/Iron Fist similar in tone to Black Dynamite?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ironf posted:

Would it be asking too much to get Luke Cage/Iron Fist similar in tone to Black Dynamite?

I suggested that in CD once and I was told I was being racist. Thing is, heroes for hire comes out of the Blacksploitation and Kung Fu crazes of the 70s.

Michael Jae White is pretty much Luke Cage already when you think about it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I suggested that in CD once and I was told I was being racist. Thing is, heroes for hire comes out of the Blacksploitation and Kung Fu crazes of the 70s.

Michael Jae White is pretty much Luke Cage already when you think about it.

I wanted a Terry Crews/ Jason Statham Cage/ Fist movie. Set in the 70's.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't see why we can't have them all in the 70s - the Luke Cage series being blaxploitation, the Iron Fist series be a Shaw Brothers homage, the Daredevil series be akin to Carnahan's Death Wish-esque take, and Jessica Jones being, uh, Rockford Files? Dirty Harry? I'm not very familiar.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

feedmyleg posted:

I don't see why we can't have them all in the 70s - the Luke Cage series being blaxploitation, the Iron Fist series be a Shaw Brothers homage, the Daredevil series be akin to Carnahan's Death Wish-esque take, and Jessica Jones being, uh, Rockford Files? Dirty Harry? I'm not very familiar.

The Jessica Jone's show would be a film noir but with superheroes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

feedmyleg posted:

Mostly because they want to integrate the characters with the movies and that means operating in the present.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah but as much as I love early Power Man, Marvel got away with that poo poo because it was the 70s. Anyone doing that kind of thing today would basically be committing suicide.

Black Dynamite worked because it was a comedy directed by a black man. Without that strong satirical element and a black project lead (who doesn't have to answer to a white guy in a suit), all a kung fu blaxploitation show would communicate is that you think 1970s views on race relations are really cool and you wish you could go back to that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but as much as I love early Power Man, Marvel got away with that poo poo because it was the 70s. Anyone doing that kind of thing today would basically be committing suicide.

Black Dynamite worked because it was a comedy directed by a black man. Without that strong satirical element and a black project lead (who doesn't have to answer to a white guy in a suit), all a kung fu blaxploitation show would communicate is that you think 1970s views on race relations are really cool and you wish you could go back to that.

I'm glad I own Black Dynamite because I'm intersted if it'll hold up in 20 years. Have any of you tried to watch I'm Gonna Get You Sucka lately? It's horrible, outside of specific scenes that I may be viewing through nostalgia vision.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if they went the opposite direction with Kingpin and made her a woman. Melissa McCarthy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

What if they went the opposite direction with Kingpin and made her a woman. Melissa McCarthy.

I actually think McCarthy could probably work in a bruiser type role, but at the very least her current screen persona's too coarse for the Kingpin, and I doubt Marvel Studios or Netflix are going to be casting too far out of anyone's comfort zone at this stage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In that case I'd say Woody Harrelson. He can be an intimidating dude, has a fat head already, and could probably bulk up pretty huge.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Harrelson would be better as Hammerhead I think. I actually like the idea of Melissa McCarthy as Kingpin. Comedians tend to play good villains. (Comedy option: Dan Fogel or Seth Rogan...though Rogan would actually probably do a good job come to think of it.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm glad people took my suggestion at face value and didn't think I was just making a fat joke. A woman kingpin would rock, and McCarthy has a ton of untapped potential in dramatic roles.

Really though I'm sure they'll knock casting out of the park whichever direction they go in. I assume it will just be a big white guy which will also be just fine.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
It's a goddamn shame Gandolfini isn't around anymore.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think Dean Norris is a pretty safe bet, he's super high profile right now with Breaking Bad ending, but not high profile enough to be really expensive. He's a bit short but he has the look down otherwise

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Opopanax posted:

I think Dean Norris is a pretty safe bet, he's super high profile right now with Breaking Bad ending, but not high profile enough to be really expensive. He's a bit short but he has the look down otherwise

I loved Norris on Breaking Bad, but after seeing him on Under the Dome, I'm second guessing his talent as an actor. I think he may only have been as good as he was on Breaking Bad because of the other actors around him... He's pretty horrible on Under the Dome. In fact, he may be the worst actor on that show (and he's got some competition there). Though, I admit I've never seen him in anything else except that Hank Schrader Funny or Die or Colluge Humor skit (I forget which it was, and it was not funny).

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Kingpin can have some depth, but I wouldn't call it a subtle role.
I haven't seen Under the Dome tho.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I saw him on Under the Dome when channel surfing a couple weeks ago, and he seemed to be a class above the kid playing... his son? I think? It was embarrassing, this poor young guy trying to emote when he looks like the most he's been asked to do before is smoulder for a catalogue picture, and Norris running rings around him. It was like seeing two different shows cut together.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Huh, I saw him on Under the Dome when channel surfing a couple weeks ago, and he seemed to be a class above the kid playing... his son? I think? It was embarrassing, this poor young guy trying to emote when he looks like the most he's been asked to do before is smoulder for a catalogue picture, and Norris running rings around him. It was like seeing two different shows cut together.

Not to derail, but that kid actually ended up playing one of the creepiest characters on TV in recent memory. That whole show has problems and is generally really bad, but I was really disappointed with Norris especially. Probably because I held him in such high regard from BB.

Either way, Norris isn't a terrible choice for Kingpin, especially physically. I'm just uneasy of him overall.

Marvel has had a lot of luck with relative unknowns (I had never heard of Hiddleston, Atwell, Sebastian Stan) as well as reviving otherwise dead careers (RDJ, Mickey Rourke).

Since Gandolfini's dead, I hope they go with an unknown. But that's just me. Kingpin was never one of my favorites in the comics, in fact I've never really liked the character.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

greatn posted:

I'm glad people took my suggestion at face value and didn't think I was just making a fat joke. A woman kingpin would rock, and McCarthy has a ton of untapped potential in dramatic roles.

Is Melissa McCarthy the one that played alongside Bullock in The Heat? Because, yeah, if she could do serious (I haven't seen her in anything but that and Identity Theft) I can definitely see her as Kingpin.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I thought the Kingpin in the Daredevil movie was the only good part of that movie, I hope they do something like that again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Error 404 posted:

I thought the Kingpin in the Daredevil movie was the only good part of that movie, I hope they do something like that again.
Its a drat shame MCD is dead, I would have loved if he returned to do the role :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

I'm glad I own Black Dynamite because I'm intersted if it'll hold up in 20 years. Have any of you tried to watch I'm Gonna Get You Sucka lately? It's horrible, outside of specific scenes that I may be viewing through nostalgia vision.

The dude with the goldfish in his shoes never fails. But yea, the rest of it feels way to 1992.

It's funny, I always associate Kingpin with Spiderman, mostly because the first place I ever saw him was in a Spiderman comic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

The dude with the goldfish in his shoes never fails. But yea, the rest of it feels way to 1992.

It's funny, I always associate Kingpin with Spiderman, mostly because the first place I ever saw him was in a Spiderman comic.

A lot of people know him mainly from the 90s cartoon. It' slime how a lot of people think John is the only Green Lantern

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah thanks to Spider-man in the nineties I still see kingpin, hammerhead, silvermane all as Spider man villains.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well.... they all started out as Spider-man villains. Daredevil just keeps stealing Spidey's rogues because his own are garbage, Bullseye excluded.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh hell Daredevil stole Mysterio too didn't he?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

greatn posted:

Oh hell Daredevil stole Mysterio too didn't he?

Mysterio has been in a total of...what, 7 or 8 issues of Daredevil total? And since then, he's been in several dozen Spider-Man issues. He's still very much a Spider-Man villain.

Hammerhead and Silvermane, while initially introduced in Spider-Man, aren't really Spider-Man specific villains and are just guys you use when you need a mob story. Hell, they aren't really Daredevil villains either.

Kingpin is the only one who really is a villain that started as Spidey but became a Daredevil villain. But nowadays even that is changing.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Well.... they all started out as Spider-man villains. Daredevil just keeps stealing Spidey's rogues because his own are garbage, Bullseye excluded.
You're just asking to incur Stilt-Man's wrath.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just realized Woody only popped to my mind for Kingpin because he starred in Kingpin.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Cabin In The Woods's writer/director Drew Goddard is in talks to write the Daredevil show for netflix.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yannick_B posted:

Cabin In The Woods's writer/director Drew Goddard is in talks to write the Daredevil show for netflix.

I remember him saying at one point he was a huge Daredevil fan. I'll assume he will jump at the chance.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yannick_B posted:

:negative:

Keep Whedon people far away from it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

They most certainly will not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waterhaul posted:

If Drew Goddard writes it then it will probably end up just being a straight adaptation of Born Again. I remember him doing an interview with someone last year where he was talking about having the posters for that on his wall and quoting several lines from it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's a really good way of doing a half-reboot or whatever this is going to be. It's not like he needs a huge introduction, his origin can be gone over in about 10 minutes a la Incredible Hulk

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Deadpool posted:

If Drew Goddard writes it then it will probably end up just being a straight adaptation of Born Again. I remember him doing an interview with someone last year where he was talking about having the posters for that on his wall and quoting several lines from it.

I really hope they don't. Born Again is probably my favourite comic but it'd make a terrible tv show. 80% of it would be Matt muttering craziness to himself and it would really lose the impact of the story of destroying Matts life when nobody cares about it yet. The only good thing would be it wouldn't go for the "Elektra dies" storyline again.

Also if they are adapting a comic arc not doing Bendis' run when you're already having Luke and Jessica hanging around is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well with 13 episodes to play with, I think he could get a lot of mileage out of Born Again if he's smart enough to show Daredevil at his peak for the first half season or so, then do the fall and resurrection for the second half of the season. Born Again worked in the comics because DD had been around for years and people had gotten used to his status quo. If you don't establish that for new viewers first (and no, the Affleck movie doesn't count) the story doesn't have the proper impact when you wreck his poo poo.

Ideally you'd set up DD for the whole first season then do the fall and rise again in the second season, but who knows if there will even be a second season of Daredevil after The Defenders and anyway the whole "Matt Murdock against the World" thing doesn't work as well if he's got teammates to help bail him out. So if you're going to do it, I guess you've got to do it in one go and the best way to do that, it seems to me, would be to do it over a season with the first half being general DD stuff (including loving over the Kingpin a couple of times to build up the hate) then it all crashes down around episode 7 or 8 then concludes with Matt's redemption by the end of the season.