Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The only time I've enjoyed them not being punch dimension beams is from one of the Secret Wars tie-ins where Emma figures out she can use Scott like a TV remote. Otherwise it is the only 100% acceptable thing to pedantic about in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Saw the first episode, very fun action scenes and so many references in the background I had trouble keeping track.

The animation mostly works, but there are sharp contrasts between the parts they want to look really good and the parts they just need to exist. It almost looks like two different styles in one show. Either way I'm definitely on board.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, second X-Men episode went real hard. That was awesome.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
The animation mostly works, as long as you don't look too closely at their mouths or hair, then it the 3D models become really obvious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, are they doing the faux-2D-with-3D-models that Arc System Works used for Dragon Ball FighterZ and such?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, are they doing the faux-2D-with-3D-models that Arc System Works used for Dragon Ball FighterZ and such?

It switches back and forth. There's definitely parts that are real 2D.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It not Gambit, it you

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Folks at the brewery are talking real loud about gambit being gay in x men 97.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

They even put Magneto in his good guy outfit

Seems kinda silly to put a power-cancelling collar on the mutant who cancels out mutant powers. But Leech also had telekinesis in the cartoon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

StumblyWumbly posted:

https://twitter.com/DataDaveTV/status/1770798644930740615?t=S9Yl2EKTeiZPP4Lm004uKA&s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

StumblyWumbly posted:

Just because of a crop top?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’d say he’s more crop bottom. Or vers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a different note, do we know why Jen Hale is playing Jean now but the original VA is playing Val Cooper?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

He's a gayjun?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lobok posted:

Just because of a crop top?

The crop top featured heavily in the conversations, yes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gambit is Gambit

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, it's nice to have the voice actors for Rogue, Storm, and Wolverine back but they sound distractingly older than their characters look.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Man, it's nice to have the voice actors for Rogue, Storm, and Wolverine back but they sound distractingly older than their characters look.

Storm and Logan mostly get away with it, as does Beast but Lenore Zann is pretty noticeable yeah.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the voice actor for Beast was fine. Rogue was the worst for me for sure.

Whoever they got for Cyclops is on point though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

I thought the voice actor for Beast was fine. Rogue was the worst for me for sure.

Whoever they got for Cyclops is on point though.

Beast is also the original guy, which is why I mentioned it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Beast is also the original guy, which is why I mentioned it

Oh yeah I know. I just didn't mention him originally because I thought he was still fine. The other three just didn't quite work for me.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Joe Fisto posted:

It not Gambit, it you

I see they made up for Rogues missing booty by making Gambit's casual look the hottest thing I've ever seen animated.

Have to say though hearing Storm(the greatest of X-Men) referred to as Omega level and then her wiping out a junkyard's worth of sentinels on her own put me on quite the high before breaking my loving heart (why her?)

That plot better go somewhere good....

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I see they made up for Rogues missing booty by making Gambit's casual look the hottest thing I've ever seen animated.

Have to say though hearing Storm(the greatest of X-Men) referred to as Omega level and then her wiping out a junkyard's worth of sentinels on her own put me on quite the high before breaking my loving heart (why her?)

They're doing Lifedeath which was loving amazing in the comics and also hopefully we get knife Storm now.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 22, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm guessing you're not that familiar with the 80's comics.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Storm using lightning strikes to turn sand dunes into glass in order to create glass-tornadoes was very, very slick.

And fear not, that plot point is a sign that the show is probably going to tackle one of Storm's iconic stories.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

StumblyWumbly posted:

The crop top featured heavily in the conversations, yes

Would they prefer he go shirtless and wear his slutty little cutoffs or speedo like he did in the original run?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't think Rogue's VA was the original. Really thought it was Ms. Minutes from Loki.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I only watched the first episode but it's funny that Certain Parts of the Internet are worried about the possibility of gambit being gay when it was obvious morph is

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I never read the original Lifedeath, I jumped on board maybe a half dozen issues after it so I knew Storm loses her powers (for what seems like ages but was only a couple of years) but never why, other than Forge was involved and eventually restores them when they are trapped by the Adversary.

Powerless Storm is awesome though, that whole sequence where she fucks up those super powered codgers then Wolvie shows up and is like "you need help with this boss"/"nah, I'm good" owns.

Storm powerless yet more dangerous than ever, Scott having a complete mental breakdown over in X-Factor, Angel topping himself, Juggs getting upset when he thought he'd killed Dazzler, Alex and Lorna having their chill 'staying out of this poo poo' life destroyed by Malice and Sinister...ah, those were the days.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lobok posted:

I didn't think Rogue's VA was the original. Really thought it was Ms. Minutes from Loki.

You won't see Tara Strong in anything Marvel related, she got cancelled.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

site posted:

I only watched the first episode but it's funny that Certain Parts of the Internet are worried about the possibility of gambit being gay when it was obvious morph is

the only posts Facebook and Instagram tried to suggest to me about this show for weeks was sunglasses dashcam guys melting down about Morph being nonbinary and Rogue's butt not being big enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

On a different note, do we know why Jen Hale is playing Jean now but the original VA is playing Val Cooper?

This article a while back went into it: https://ew.com/x-men-97-trailer-legacy-costumes-casting-confirmed-theo-james-8580432

Jubilee was recast to have a Chinese-American VA. Most others seem to be because their voices aren't there anymore. The original cast was just a bunch of random, cheap Canadians and it looks like they mostly didn't continue voice acting so not everyone can pull it off now I guess?

For Jean though, apparently it's because Val delivers some key dialogue and DeMayo really wanted that spoken by Catherine Disher.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

You won't see Tara Strong in anything Marvel related, she got cancelled.

Even before she went off about Palestine she had cracks in the façade. Tara loved herself some PETA.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It will be jarring if ahsoka ever appears in something animated again and she's voiced by Rosario

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQghiGQi6Lo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks cool! He was a bright spot in the movie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

It will be jarring if ahsoka ever appears in something animated again and she's voiced by Rosario

It's already happened, Eckstein voiced Ahsoka in a few Tales of the Jedi shorts. Though those were flashback stories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh you're right Ashley does Ahsoka, I got them mixed up. Nm

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Looks cool! He was a bright spot in the movie.

Yeah I'm super excited for it. I really enjoy The Batman movie and hope this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I feel like Storm in the context of this show is just so powerful that she can solve most of the threats. I think the original show just dealt with that by just not having her go on missions a lot or be like "ohyeah, she was over there off screen, busy"