Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I can't wait for this intentionally janky animation style to take a crack at Forge's stupid invisible house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

I can't wait for this intentionally janky animation style to take a crack at Forge's stupid invisible house.

I mean, do they have to draw anything for it?

Here's all my artistic talent brought to bear on it:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I mean, do they have to draw anything for it?

Here's all my artistic talent brought to bear on it:

The focused totality of your artistic powers?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I haven't read that in decades but I feel like there was a whole issue with multiple floors and still visible furniture. All Trixie Slaughteraxe looking.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AngryBooch posted:

Storm using lightning strikes to turn sand dunes into glass in order to create glass-tornadoes was very, very slick.

And fear not, that plot point is a sign that the show is probably going to tackle one of Storm's iconic stories.

The one she gets turned into a vampire or the one she fights the Native Americna devil?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

The focused totality of your artistic powers?

And what I do... ain't pretty.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I'm guessing you're not that familiar with the 80's comics.

No not really, I guess I assumed that if Storm had an iconic story where she lost her powers I would have heard about but I guess not. I'm so used to my favorite characters getting sidelined in stuff because they're OP or the sacrificial minority or whatever. Knee jerk reaction.

I was kinda poor when I got into comics in the early 90s so I didn't really start reading until New X-Men (:filez:) everything else is secondhand tertiary knowledge from magazines or trading cards or poo poo like that.

Having 1 or 2 random issues from different years didn't help me keep up with plot lines.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You may still have seen subsequent stories where Storm is dressed in leather and carries a knife? That's from the story it looks like they're doing here.

The quirk of the X-Men cartoon was it used the aethetics and line up of the Jim Lee run but largely pulled from much earlier Claremont-era stories.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 23, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah don't worry about Storm losing her powers. That just means she's gonna knife you instead.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Knife Storm is awesome, if you're best friend with her throwing knives is a secret handshake.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Knife Storm is Coolest Storm. It is known.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Azubah posted:

Knife Storm is awesome, if you're best friend with her throwing knives is a secret handshake.

Sentinel Red posted:

Knife Storm is Coolest Storm. It is known.

Always will be one of my favorite panels.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the flip side, that sequence of her in the desert in episode 1 is maybe the first time she's been portrayed on the level she is in the comics, on screen. The score, the imagery, the implication that the other 7 basically didn't really need to even be there.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Beast making the sentinel into a puppet made me :lol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cyclops decided to risk all their lives and a whole plane when Storm could have just headed over. Keep everyone on their toes. That's what a leader does.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Drawing so much of this reboot from such a relatively obscure period of X-Men stories is an interesting choice, and a good one I think. It means that they get to showcase plots that are largely unknown to most audiences -- the trial of Magneto, Lifedeath, Madelyne Pryor -- instead of the ones that have been adapted two or three times by now in whatever format.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How is Inferno obscure?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Considering how long X-Men has been around for multimedia stuff it hasn't really been mined in any wide sense for story content to any great extent.

We've seen a few takes on Dark Phoenix, a few on Days of Future Past, and a few (mostly in cartoons) on different vectors of Genosha.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Considering how long X-Men has been around for multimedia stuff it hasn't really been mined in any wide sense for story content to any great extent.

We've seen a few takes on Dark Phoenix, a few on Days of Future Past, and a few (mostly in cartoons) on different vectors of Genosha.

Yeah, it'd be fun to see a cartoon of the Utopia era, or Schism, or Remender's Uncanny X-Force,or New Mutants (they did introduce Bobby Decosta, maybe a spin off?)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it'd be fun to see a cartoon of the Utopia era, or Schism, or Remender's Uncanny X-Force,or New Mutants (they did introduce Bobby Decosta, maybe a spin off?)

Are they going to adapt stuff done since the '90s? There should probably be enough material to keep the show pre-Willennium.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Cartridgeblowers posted:

How is Inferno obscure?
According to the amount of reactions I've seen towards that second episode cliffhanger with people going OMIGOD HWO IS THIS?? I fully believe that 99% of the people watching this have no idea what Inferno is whatsoever :sweatdrop:

poo poo, I've seen a lot of people who don't even know that the baby is Cable! If it ain't in the movies, they just don't know!

Which isn't bad or anything; now's their chance to learn! :eng101:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Drawing so much of this reboot from such a relatively obscure period of X-Men stories is an interesting choice, and a good one I think. It means that they get to showcase plots that are largely unknown to most audiences -- the trial of Magneto, Lifedeath, Madelyne Pryor -- instead of the ones that have been adapted two or three times by now in whatever format.

It helps that the original show already did play a lot of those hits. Since 97 is a sequel it kind of necessitates them to use more stuff

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I know it riffed on the Dark Phoenix saga and I'm guessing they did a Days of Future Past too but what else did the original run adapt? Did they do the Mutant Massacre (I'm guessing not), the Brood, the M'kraan Crystal (the Phoenix never gets enough respect for literally holding the universe/reality together in the face of imminent collapse imo), Apocalypse attacking New York, Cyclops vs the X-Men?

Also I love the idea of newbies being amazed at a Jean clone and knowing absolutely nothing about Maddie, Cable, etc. Oh boy are they in for a wild ride, even in this stripped down version.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

According to the amount of reactions I've seen towards that second episode cliffhanger with people going OMIGOD HWO IS THIS?? I fully believe that 99% of the people watching this have no idea what Inferno is whatsoever :sweatdrop:

poo poo, I've seen a lot of people who don't even know that the baby is Cable! If it ain't in the movies, they just don't know!

Or more probably in the cartoon itself they don't know, which is fine. Like all they're running off of is '92.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, when Cable was introduced in the cartoon no one at Marvel knew his back story because it hadn't been invented yet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Wild Man of Borneo

See you around

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder how boobariffic Maddy's Goblin Queen costume is going to be. Probably not as sexy as Gambit's tank top.

Yea, that was a weird aspect of the original series, where they had a Jim Lee line up but adapting Claremont stories. I expect to see that again, though I feel like they might have more freedom with having new characters out there. I'd love to see New Mutants be formed in the show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder how boobariffic Maddy's Goblin Queen costume is going to be. Probably not as sexy as Gambit's tank top.

Yea, that was a weird aspect of the original series, where they had a Jim Lee line up but adapting Claremont stories. I expect to see that again, though I feel like they might have more freedom with having new characters out there. I'd love to see New Mutants be formed in the show.

I guess people already knew this was happening because there is a Goblin Queen toy that you could order. I'm glad I didn't see that before the episode. So you can see what her costume is gonna be.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I love the og new mutant line up, but I'd almost like to see it with a mix of newer x-kids if they go that route.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cartridgeblowers posted:

How is Inferno obscure?

Every comic book story ever written is obscure unless its been a movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cartridgeblowers posted:

How is Inferno obscure?

i for one am interested in seeing how the bring moira attempting to destroy krakoa to the cartoon

site fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 24, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sentinel Red posted:

I know it riffed on the Dark Phoenix saga and I'm guessing they did a Days of Future Past too but what else did the original run adapt? Did they do the Mutant Massacre (I'm guessing not), the Brood, the M'kraan Crystal (the Phoenix never gets enough respect for literally holding the universe/reality together in the face of imminent collapse imo), Apocalypse attacking New York, Cyclops vs the X-Men?

Also I love the idea of newbies being amazed at a Jean clone and knowing absolutely nothing about Maddie, Cable, etc. Oh boy are they in for a wild ride, even in this stripped down version.

I know the Brood showed up, and they adapted some of the Genosha stuff, Age of Apocolypse got some heavy rotation in the last season too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know the Brood showed up, and they adapted some of the Genosha stuff, Age of Apocolypse got some heavy rotation in the last season too.

Also the Phalanx. Cameron Hodge got to skip being a weird mecha-scorpion running Genosha.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah for a long time I was under the impression that Cable was Scott and Jean's kid and had never heard of Madeline Pryor.
I think I'm just now finding out that she had powers and was also the Goblin Queen, who I only recognize from those villain spreads. I think I always thought she was Jean Grey as Black Queen of the Hell Fire Club.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

I guess people already knew this was happening because there is a Goblin Queen toy that you could order. I'm glad I didn't see that before the episode. So you can see what her costume is gonna be.

Ah I didn't see that. Doesn't have the glorious underboob that she normally has, but it does come with baby Cable.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

site posted:

i for one am interested in seeing how the bring moira attempting to destroy krakoa to the cartoon

Wrong Inferno but hopefully the show runs long enough that they have to adapt the new one too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah for a long time I was under the impression that Cable was Scott and Jean's kid and had never heard of Madeline Pryor.
I think I'm just now finding out that she had powers and was also the Goblin Queen, who I only recognize from those villain spreads. I think I always thought she was Jean Grey as Black Queen of the Hell Fire Club.

I mean, I think Maddie was the Black Queen at some point, so not strictly wrong of you to guess that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, when Cable was introduced in the cartoon no one at Marvel knew his back story because it hadn't been invented yet.

I don't think that's right. X-cutioner's Song was where the whole thing was written plain after a few months of teasing. That vent started a month before the show did.

Maybe when they started production on the Genosha episode they were keeping who Cable was under wraps?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cable shows up the first time in episode 7. Animation production times would have put that well before the comic.

He's just a merc in his first appearances.

In the second season he's now a time traveler with a cybernetic arm and the change isn't addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man Cable was an exciting time for young Medullah. All the rumors of who he was and what he was doing there. No internet to discuss so you'd sit in the comic shop eyeing that New Mutants 87 and talking with people there what they'd heard. I don't know how the rumor started that he was future Scott's kid but it was well before it was officially revealed.

And then there's Ultimate Cable who's future Wolverine