Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-Factor #68, the issue where Nathan Summers is sent into the future, was the first time I thought that Cable was Nathan. There's an insert photo of Cable on the last page next to Nathan that doesn't make much sense otherwise. It's a page with The Watcher talking about the future or something. It's been a long time since I read it. I surely read it after the fact, but before the reveal happened and just put the two together in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

X-Factor #68, the issue where Nathan Summers is sent into the future, was the first time I thought that Cable was Nathan. There's an insert photo of Cable on the last page next to Nathan that doesn't make much sense otherwise. It's a page with The Watcher talking about the future or something. It's been a long time since I read it. I surely read it after the fact, but before the reveal happened and just put the two together in my mind.

That was definitely where the fan speculation started. But I don't know if that was coincidence or if Marvel had already planned it out at that time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

That was definitely where the fan speculation started. But I don't know if that was coincidence or if Marvel had already planned it out at that time.

I don't think it was the idea on Rob's end. He just thought 'guy from the future was cool' because Terminator and vaguely figured they'd work it out in the end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think it was the idea on Rob's end. He just thought 'guy from the future was cool' because Terminator and vaguely figured they'd work it out in the end.

And eventually they figured out he has been sent back to protect Sam Guthrie. And then decided that was dumb and made him just a cool guy from the future again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gripweed posted:

And eventually they figured out he has been sent back to protect Sam Guthrie. And then decided that was dumb and made him just a cool guy from the future again.

Hah oh yeah there was that brief time Cannonball was an immortal.

90s were weird.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

Cable shows up the first time in episode 7. Animation production times would have put that well before the comic.

He's just a merc in his first appearances.

In the second season he's now a time traveler with a cybernetic arm and the change isn't addressed.

I wouldn't put too much stock in art changes. Cable had the cybernetic arm from his first appearance, and the animation studio was notorious for delivering the animation several weeks late and full of errors. Several episodes were delivered only a week or two before they were scheduled to air.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Episode 3 and we're already into confusing timelines. I approve.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Morph is the best character on the show so far

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

Morph is the best character on the show so far

The brief reversion to their weird heroin addicted Pete Davison look was heartbreaking

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like this one probably shoulda been two episodes 'cuz it felt like we were speedrunning the heck outta everything that happened. At the end Jean2 was like "Call me...~*Madelyne Pryor*~" and it was like...okay? I guess? But...why tho. What is that name. Why do you wanna be called that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like this one probably shoulda been two episodes 'cuz it felt like we were speedrunning the heck outta everything that happened. At the end Jean2 was like "Call me...~*Madelyne Pryor*~" and it was like...okay? I guess? But...why tho. What is that name. Why do you wanna be called that.

The actual reason is because Chris Claremont named her after the lead singer in Steeleye Span, a British folk rock group. The in-universe reason in the comics is possibly spoilery depending on what the cartoon pulls from the comics.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I loved the evil magical girl transformation

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

The actual reason is because Chris Claremont named her after the lead singer in Steeleye Span, a British folk rock group. The in-universe reason in the comics is possibly spoilery depending on what the cartoon pulls from the comics.

Having just finished it was just kinda out of nowhere

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Having just finished it was just kinda out of nowhere

It makes sense she'd use another name, might as well use the name from the comics. I don't remember enough about Jean's family to know what her equivalent of Ben Reilly would be, in terms of the cartoon it'd be easy to retcon that in as her grandma's name and her mother's maiden name.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 27, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She's the anti-Jean, her mother's maiden name was Later.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't they establish in the flashbacks that Jean's friend who died and triggered her powers in this universe was named Madelyn or did I mishear it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I feel like I watched an entire season of the show in one episode. That arc was way too rushed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know how many comics issues were compressed into that episode (I feel like I've heard of Inferno being a pretty big event, so several I'm guessing?) but I'm kinda into it. Feels like maybe an over-correction after things being drawn out in modern comics or streaming TV shows but I'd rather this than that.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Medullah posted:

I feel like I watched an entire season of the show in one episode. That arc was way too rushed

I agree that it felt rushed and I'd be disappointed if that was the entire season. Even a three-episode arc might take away from the stuff they could do in a single season.

I really enjoyed the episode though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The episode did feel rushed and the "Call me Goblin Queen" and "feel my inferno" felt so forced and shoehorned in. There was zero explanation about why they should call her Goblin Queen or where she came up with the name or what it even meant. Just felt extremely forced.
Besides that, it feels like the episodes are speed running major storylines in one and done episodes. Added to that the major storylines are pre-90's which is an interesting choice seeing how the original show followed the 90's comics pretty closely (sans a dark phoenix story arc which was done over multiple episodes).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
To be honest I read the Claremont run and I don't understand why Madelyn went by Goblin Queen in that either.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Air Skwirl posted:

To be honest I read the Claremont run and I don't understand why Madelyn went by Goblin Queen in that either.

She was shipping herself with David Bowie, as one would.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is exactly what comics were like in the 90s.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Sinister did it. Simple as.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Because she's a lady, if she'd called herself the Goblin King it would have been weird duh

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Medullah posted:

Because she's a lady, if she'd called herself the Goblin King it would have been weird duh

But she can't steal her own baby. :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
cross posting from the tviv thread:

Soonmot posted:

I made this this morning as I was hit with a wave of nostalgia and deja vu

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was the slight comedy of Bishop going "I know a guy who can build anything, he can cure little Nathan" and like 2 scenes later, Forge is in a Dallas dive bar with Storm. You have a jet, just fly and get him!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

cross posting from the tviv thread:

Disney really missed out by not having the episodes drop Saturday morning.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Disney really missed out by not having the episodes drop Saturday morning.

I mean I guess we could wait to watch until saturday, but yeah, 100% they hosed up

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

There is a flashback of the first time Jean met Professor Xavier. In that flashback Clone Jean and Astral Jean see a memory of a little girl chasing a ball into the street who is hit and killed by an inattentive driver. Clone Jean screams "Maddie!" Its told out of order, but its not impossible to understand.

One day Kid Jean is playing in her front yard when she witnesses a neighborhood friend die in an accident. She is traumatized by it and catches a terminal case of Baby Sad Brains because she can't stop thinking about it. Her parents call Prof. Xavier to help her. At the end of the episode as Clone Jean is leaving she mentions to Real Jean that's she been wanting to leave the X-Men and move on with her life. She wants to start the next part of her life under a new name in honor of her dead friend who never got to live hers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ah, the friend's name is "Annie," not Maddie. Subtitles confirm it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And it's more that her powers turned on and she felt her best friend dying and that would gently caress anyone up let alone someone who hasn't even hit puberty

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah she didn't just see the accident, but she was telepathically connected to Annie as she died.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

:lmao: at the Invincible show version of "Mark meets fave comic creator and it's self-criticism"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1774184625872515479?t=PWGEjHs5x4t9GXSvSkUv1g&s=19

drat... Guess Gen V season 2 is gonna have to take a turn. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have not much to say about XM97 except I enjoy it and it's fun!

I wonder where they are going to go long term there are a bunch of cool ideas they can go with.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
drat that sucks,he was really good,Gen V was better than it had any right to be.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MoreDisneyPlus/status/1775930062451208406

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Unexpected but very welcome!