Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dead Boy Detectives is now out on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's fun that for the X-Men 97 cartoon they're adapting a storyline that actually came out in 1997

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

New Wave Jose posted:

Cable is involved, it feels like a timeline shenanigans is coming.

Nah, I don't think they walk back what happened at Genosha. I think Maddie is gone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

It's fun that for the X-Men 97 cartoon they're adapting a storyline that actually came out in 1997

They occasionally did that on the original show too. Not a lot of space between the Gambit arc in the comics where he deals with the conflict between the Assassin Guild and the Teeves Guild and when the show had an episode about it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Morrison’s run with the attack on Genosha was 2001.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Morrison’s run with the attack on Genosha was 2001.

yeah but Bastion is here now so they're also doing Operation: Zero Tolerance

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, I don't think they walk back what happened at Genosha. I think Maddie is gone.

I don’t know, they’ve made a point of not finding her body.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I don’t know, they’ve made a point of not finding her body.

This week was to put a lid on it. They said they haven't found any survivors after a week, then made s big deal about finding a telepath and it was Emma. Then Scott broke down a little. I think that signifies he's accepted her death now.

Also Cable was sad.

So yeah, I think she's gone. If not for good at least for a season or two since nobody really ever stays dead. But likely she's gone and I hope Emma joins up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Dead Boy Detectives is now out on Netflix.

Watched the first episode and it was pretty fun, but the boy's ages is throwing me off a bit. I think in the comic they are about 10 or 12 but here they seem to be mid-teens which just adds a different dynamic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Air Skwirl posted:

They occasionally did that on the original show too. Not a lot of space between the Gambit arc in the comics where he deals with the conflict between the Assassin Guild and the Teeves Guild and when the show had an episode about it.

The Tithe!

Emma on the team isn't as fun without kitty being "when I think of evil, I think of you".

As was said earlier, it is weird how they've avoided Kitty the entire run. Like of the top 10 xmen of all time, I'd think she'd rate pretty high .

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Starting Dead Boy Detectives and it's really breaking my brain that they cast them and introduced them in Doom Patrol and then just did it all over again

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The Tithe!

Emma on the team isn't as fun without kitty being "when I think of evil, I think of you".

As was said earlier, it is weird how they've avoided Kitty the entire run. Like of the top 10 xmen of all time, I'd think she'd rate pretty high .

I think the problem with introducing Kitty is that unless you have her as an adult it kind of makes either her or Jubilee redundant as the teen character.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Medullah posted:

Starting Dead Boy Detectives and it's really breaking my brain that they cast them and introduced them in Doom Patrol and then just did it all over again

Didn’t Titans kind of do this as well with DP?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of, it was still the Cliff, Larry and Rita actors but with a different Caulder and no Cyborg. They did eventually reveal that Titans and Doom Patrol proper took place in separate universes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

Didn’t Titans kind of do this as well with DP?

Oh yeah that's right!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

twistedmentat posted:

The Tithe!

Being shunted off to Excalibur didn't help in the larger view of things. She missed out a bunch of huge X-Men moments while Excalibur pootled about doing their own weird thing. And even when she does appear in events, it's rarely a memorable, stand out moment, she's usually just a face in the crowd.

Thinking about it, she wouldn't make my top 10. Emma, Magik, and some form of Psylocke are in with a better shout these days, Kitty's more Top 20.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sentinel Red posted:

Being shunted off to Excalibur didn't help in the larger view of things. She missed out a bunch of huge X-Men moments while Excalibur pootled about doing their own weird thing. And even when she does appear in events, it's rarely a memorable, stand out moment, she's usually just a face in the crowd.

Thinking about it, she wouldn't make my top 10. Emma, Magik, and some form of Psylocke are in with a better shout these days, Kitty's more Top 20.

This is probably a generational thing because people who read xmen when she was on the team love Kitty. She's also extremely important to wolverine, being the first teen girl he mentors. He didn't teach her about saying racial slurs though.

My first exposure to xmen was new mutants and the classic xmen reprints, so yea she's probably well in my top 10.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Definitely generational. Kitty was the audience surrogate when she was introduced. Ditto for Jubilee, and because Jubilee was "newer" she was used as the audience surrogate in the cartoon. It also kind of blew my mind to learn (via Jay and Miles) that Kitty used to be a big deal and huge character favourite because I had never heard of her until probably Age of Apocalypse.
On whole it's kind of impressive how informative and influential the 90s X-Men cartoon was for me (and probably others). I was about 10 or so when it came out, never read an X-Men comic in my life (my brother was a DC guy) and all of a sudden my and my friends would be discussing who our fave X-Man was and how cool the X-Men are. My friend became a huge X-Men fan and got into the comics because of the show and would share the comics around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Madkal posted:

Definitely generational. Kitty was the audience surrogate when she was introduced. Ditto for Jubilee, and because Jubilee was "newer" she was used as the audience surrogate in the cartoon. It also kind of blew my mind to learn (via Jay and Miles) that Kitty used to be a big deal and huge character favourite because I had never heard of her until probably Age of Apocalypse.

To quote Wolverine regarding Kitty, *In Australian accent* "AWWWW SHE'S JUST A KID SHE'LL JUST GET IN THE WAY"

In other news I watched 4 episodes of Dead Boy Detectives. I'm going to finish it because I'm a Gaiman fanboy but the show is definitely not really for me. It seems like they cranked the YA up to 11, and the idea of a couple of ghost kids solving crimes kind of diminishes when they're closer to 20 than they are to 10. But I get why they made the change, can't have relationship drama if they're toddlers.

Or can you......

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Someone hasn’t heard of BOSS BABY 2: FAMILY BUSINESS

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

To quote Wolverine regarding Kitty, *In Australian accent* "AWWWW SHE'S JUST A KID SHE'LL JUST GET IN THE WAY"

In other news I watched 4 episodes of Dead Boy Detectives. I'm going to finish it because I'm a Gaiman fanboy but the show is definitely not really for me. It seems like they cranked the YA up to 11, and the idea of a couple of ghost kids solving crimes kind of diminishes when they're closer to 20 than they are to 10. But I get why they made the change, can't have relationship drama if they're toddlers.

Or can you......

They actually have a very good 'the youth investigate spooks, specters and ghosts' series on Netflix called Lockwood & Co. but it's not getting a second season due to not meeting whatever arbitrary hoodoo Netflix uses to continue series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

Or can you......

I assume the real issue is aging since they're, you know, ghosts and hiring real kids would just be a problem in a season 2.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I assume the real issue is aging since they're, you know, ghosts and hiring real kids would just be a problem in a season 2.

Clearly they should just commit to their roles and stay young forever.

Edit - Adding to my confusion of this show, Dead Boy Detectives were on Doom Patrol played by different actors, but Ruth Connel is playing Night Nurse, who she also played on Doom Patrol.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 28, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Madkal posted:

Yeah, she kinda skipped a generation depending when folks got into X-Men.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bruceski posted:

You can tell what show someone watched by who their faves are. I have a friend who's not really into comics, but does have her favourite X-Men characters namely Kitty and Wanda. As you can probably guess, she was the right age for Evo when that came out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

It's the thing where she was a big deal during Claremont's era, then there's the 90s... then in the 00s, a bunch of people who grew up reading Claremont (like Whedon and Bendis) start writing X-Men and because she was a big deal when they were teens, they bring her back to the fore.

It's the same thing as Johns bringing back Barry Allen and Hal Jordan.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

It's the thing where she was a big deal during Claremont's era, then there's the 90s... then in the 00s, a bunch of people who grew up reading Claremont (like Whedon and Bendis) start writing X-Men and because she was a big deal when they were teens, they bring her back to the fore.

It's the same thing as Johns bringing back Barry Allen and Hal Jordan.

except Kitty is way cooler than barry or hal, so it's good and cool she came back

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yes, and they finally let her be openly bisexual. As Claremont pretty obviously wrote her and illyana and Rachael were banging off panel.

Also d+ should do a Spider-Man and the xmen series. Get Holland back and Hollywood Elliott Kalen to showrun it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I watched the first episode of Dead Boy Detectives and I enjoyed it but when did she start going by just "Kirby" in credits?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

So I watched the first episode of Dead Boy Detectives and I enjoyed it but when did she start going by just "Kirby" in credits?

I don't really know her, but according to IMDB in 2024.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Also work hour limits on underage actors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

except Kitty is way cooler than barry or hal, so it's good and cool she came back

That racist?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hal and Barry are also racist, so it's not like that alone puts her at a disadvantage compared to them

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hal and Barry are also racist, so it's not like that alone puts her at a disadvantage compared to them

Admittedly I've read a lot more comics featuring Katherine Pryde than I have Barry Allen or Hal Jordan but I don't think I've read a single comic where they use the n word, but I've read two where she does.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a panel from Green Arrow/Green Lantern where a Black guy complains to Hal about he's more willing to stand up for the purple dude than the brown one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Jinkies, every time one of you muppets goes on a "KitTy Is A rAcIST!!!!" tear, I fear my eyes may snap tendons from rolling so hard. A writer 30 years ago tried to make a well meaning but very ham-handed point about dehumanising terms a couple of times. That's it. It's not like the character subsequently spent every issue since running around hurling insults at everyone she sees but y'all gotta run this poo poo into the ground because [goons].

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sentinel Red posted:

Jinkies, every time one of you muppets goes on a "KitTy Is A rAcIST!!!!" tear, I fear my eyes may snap tendons from rolling so hard. A writer 30 years ago tried to make a well meaning but very ham-handed point about dehumanising terms a couple of times. That's it. It's not like the character subsequently spent every issue since running around hurling insults at everyone she sees but y'all gotta run this poo poo into the ground because [goons].

She shouldn't have called that guy the n word.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sentinel Red posted:

Being shunted off to Excalibur didn't help in the larger view of things. She missed out a bunch of huge X-Men moments while Excalibur pootled about doing their own weird thing.

Literally, MEANWHILE

(This might be my favorite panel of all time)

IIRC Kate's dad dies in Genosha in the comics and they use that to pull her back in during Morrison's run so there was an opportunity here. Just treat it like she left before Jubes arrived and I think she'd slot in fine.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

She shouldn't have called that guy the n word.

That's not even the one I mean. The better one is when she gets up to do a eulogy at a hate crime victim's funeral and drops like 8 slurs in a row.

That's what Michael Richards did. Do you forgive Kramer? I don't.