Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They have 12 episodes, so they could do 4 or 5 building him up and going after Kingpin, then a run of Born Again episodes, and the last one where he rallys and decides to put together the Marvel Knights Defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Opopanax posted:

That's a really good way of doing a half-reboot or whatever this is going to be. It's not like he needs a huge introduction, his origin can be gone over in about 10 minutes a la Incredible Hulk

They can skip it completely and do it in the opening credit crawl. Bust out some minimalist flat red and black art to set up a radar sense feel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I assume they will adapt Man without fear as its perfect for TV or film.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I was hoping to see him punching The Spot and kissin' mob daughters.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

omg chael crash posted:

I was hoping to see him punching The Spot and kissin' mob daughters.

This. We don't need Waid's DD for the whole thing, but the show shouldn't end with sad sack Murdock.
I need one shot of him wearing an "I'm Not Daredevil" shirt. Bonus points for an Asst DA trying to prove he isn't blind.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

StumblyWumbly posted:

This. We don't need Waid's DD for the whole thing, but the show shouldn't end with sad sack Murdock.
I need one shot of him wearing an "I'm Not Daredevil" shirt. Bonus points for an Asst DA trying to prove he isn't blind.

For all it's gloominess Born Again actually finishes Daredevil and gives him the happiest ending he'd ever want. It's the perfect :unsmith:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

For all it's gloominess Born Again actually finishes Daredevil and gives him the happiest ending he'd ever want. It's the perfect :unsmith:

It's been a while since I read it, but I remember it being too dark. I could see a lot of it working, tho.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but I remember it being too dark. I could see a lot of it working, tho.

The darkest part is the Karen Page poo poo and seeing Matt Murdock going nuts due to the Kingpin, but it ends with him as happy as he can be.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Goddard did some of the better episodes of "Angel," so if he wound up involved with the Daredevil show I expect it would be fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

Goddard did some of the better episodes of "Angel," so if he wound up involved with the Daredevil show I expect it would be fun.

And Cabin in the Woods is just so good.

Thing about Spiderman and Daredevil sharing Villains, they're both street level heroes, so It makes sense their villains would cross over. I mean, how much crime can there be in Hell's Kitchen?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gordon Ramsey for Kingpin

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Give it all to Ben Edlund, I say.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The constant "Coulson's an LMD" references are getting a bit much. I'm half expecting them to play an ominous tone every time like Arrested Development

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

The constant "Coulson's an LMD" references are getting a bit much. I'm half expecting them to play an ominous tone every time like Arrested Development

Payoff should be RDJ doing a cameo to reveal that it's totally the real Coulson, he just lied to Hill and Fury.

"What, a robot that's indistinguishable from a real person? What is this, Star Trek? Too many liquid lunches there, Nicky, but if you bought that, I got a bridge in San Fran?"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would be totally okay with them screwing with us.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

greatn posted:

Gordon Ramsey for Kingpin

Amy Bouzaglo of Amy's Baking Company as Typhoid Mary.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Emeril Lagasse as Bullseye. BAM

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gavok posted:

Sucks Deadpool is stuck with Fox because that Kelly story involving him, Mary, and Daredevil was pretty good.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

Emeril Lagasse as Bullseye. BAM

Guy Fieri as Stilt-Man

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

In more show runner news Melissa Rosenberg is circling the Jessica Jones series. She uh wrote the Twilight films and did a bunch of Dexter. She was also going to be the showrunner for aka Jessica Jones when it was being batted around a few years ago.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Twilight? fuuuuuuuuuck. Give me more Whedon alums.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The problem with Whedon alums is their track rate. His brother Jed's on "Agents of SHIELD," Jane Espenson's got some web show, Marti Noxon is hopefully not coming anywhere near this, and David Greenwalt and Tim Minear have modest reputations as Show Killers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Wanderer posted:

The problem with Whedon alums is their track rate. His brother Jed's on "Agents of SHIELD," Jane Espenson's got some web show, Marti Noxon is hopefully not coming anywhere near this, and David Greenwalt and Tim Minear have modest reputations as Show Killers.

Minear is doing alright with American Horror Story for the last few years.

With Goddard I don't really care that he's a Whedon alum but I just really hated Cabin in the Woods.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The thing I don't get is why does Agents of SHIELD need 2 "comic relief scientist with exotic accent" characters?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
How much TV do you guys watch? I haven't had TV on my TV for around eight years or so. I have netflix and my bluray player, so I don't actually watch many TV shows.

I ask because so many of the complaints I've seen directed towards SHIELD sound like some of the complaints I've made about comics when someone new to the hobby has asked "Why is this comic so hated."

I enjoy SHIELD so much. It's a weekly dose of live action Marvel. I think Ward is a little stiff, but I love Coulson, May, Fitz & Simmons and even don't find Skye annoying. Is this just a by product of me only watching three or four tv shows?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soonmot posted:

How much TV do you guys watch? I haven't had TV on my TV for around eight years or so. I have netflix and my bluray player, so I don't actually watch many TV shows.

I ask because so many of the complaints I've seen directed towards SHIELD sound like some of the complaints I've made about comics when someone new to the hobby has asked "Why is this comic so hated."

I enjoy SHIELD so much. It's a weekly dose of live action Marvel. I think Ward is a little stiff, but I love Coulson, May, Fitz & Simmons and even don't find Skye annoying. Is this just a by product of me only watching three or four tv shows?

I mean, as someone who watches a lot of TV shows, SHIELD ranks pretty low. The acting isn't great, the plotting feels almost irrelevant, the quippy dialogue grates sometimes. I don't think it's a bad show by any means, but it feels very early 2000s in tone and style, before networks realized that they didn't have to settle for cheap-looking monster of the week shows.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I'm wondering what people see in May. I like Ming-Na, and I keep waiting for her to do something, but she just stands around looking sullen and talking about how her past is dark and mysterious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

The thing I don't get is why does Agents of SHIELD need 2 "comic relief scientist with exotic accent" characters?

Since one is going to die midseason or end up being a spy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I actually appreciate that they have to have two scientists specializing in two different, though still unreasonably vast, fields instead of the usual single nerdy omni-scientist.

[edit] Half a thought later it might be about keeping the future marvel TV/movie super scientists who are omni-disciplined in a league of their own.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 13, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Since one is going to die midseason or end up being a spy.

Nah, it's the England/Scotland thing. It's the same idea as having one be a preppy New Englander, and one from a small town in the South. They shouldn't get along, but they DO! Isn't that wacky?!

Waterhaul posted:

In more show runner news Melissa Rosenberg is circling the Jessica Jones series. She uh wrote the Twilight films and did a bunch of Dexter. She was also going to be the showrunner for aka Jessica Jones when it was being batted around a few years ago.

Makes sense, they probably used her pilot script to help sell the concept to Netflix. I can't imagine they're that lax that they'd greenlight a project without at least seeing one script.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wanderer posted:

Greenwalt has Grimm right now and seems to be doing pretty good :swoon: Monroe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Espenson was also a producer on BSG, and currently is one for Once Upon A Time. She also wrote one of the best episodes of Game Of Thrones' first season. It's not like she's been a total failure since Buffy ended.

Minear's working on American Horror Story, which doesn't seem to be bombing either.

Claiming they're all poison is being VERY selective in how you look at their career path after Whedon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Jed also was a writer for Spartacus.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also I've found Agents of SHIELD to be perfectly reasonable entertainment thus far and, in particular, I've thought the last three episodes have been showing an uptick in quality as the writers get used to the characters and start revealing more about them. Simmons and Fitz in particular got more spotlight time in the last two episodes, which was quite nice.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Soonmot posted:

Twilight? fuuuuuuuuuck.
Dexter? fuuuuuuuuuck.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

CapnAndy posted:

Dexter? fuuuuuuuuuck.

She left after season 4, which is a bit reassuring

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Twilight? fuuuuuuuuuck. Give me more Whedon alums.

Have you read a single page of those books? They were masterfully adapted.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Yannick_B posted:

Have you read a single page of those books? They were masterfully adapted.

The Hulk seems to have a certain amount of appreciation for the first movie, at least.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When you realize that the films were written and directed to be a pisstake on the franchise you gain some appreciation for the writing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
With the DareDevil show I really hope they don't do Born Again as the first series, and instead adapt something like Bendis's run with him being outed. That to me would be more interesting.

I'm pretty stoked thought the only "bad" Netflix show so far is probably Hemlock Grove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope that they used AoS as the jumping off point for the Netflix shows, even if its "Wow Luke Cage and Iron Fist, that was really handy how to beat up those Maggia thugs, I can't want to see what adventures you'll be having in the future!" type thing.