Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's one thing I'm curious about; what do the Viltrumites do with a conquered planet? We see what they do to a planet where the population resists, but what happens if the population surrenders? I would assume resource extraction, because that's the main thing you do with colonies. But that kind of economics hasn't been a part of this show ever. I assume they have to do something bad to even compliant planets, because they're bad guys, but the show hasn't said.

The Viltrumites are clearly a riff on Saiyans, with a single member of the species sent to a planet to soften it up for takeover. But Saiyans did it at the behest of Freiza, who was a galactic real estate developer who sold the newly vacant planets. With the Viltrumites there's no clear stated end goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think they might be like 40K Orkz and set up an empire just so people have an excuse to fight back because they really like fighting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the last season of Doom Patrol and it really is a small miracle that this show got more than one season.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Gripweed posted:

There's one thing I'm curious about; what do the Viltrumites do with a conquered planet? We see what they do to a planet where the population resists, but what happens if the population surrenders? I would assume resource extraction, because that's the main thing you do with colonies. But that kind of economics hasn't been a part of this show ever. I assume they have to do something bad to even compliant planets, because they're bad guys, but the show hasn't said.

The Viltrumites are clearly a riff on Saiyans, with a single member of the species sent to a planet to soften it up for takeover. But Saiyans did it at the behest of Freiza, who was a galactic real estate developer who sold the newly vacant planets. With the Viltrumites there's no clear stated end goal.

They end up explaining it, though you can kinda guess what they are looking for with some close attention.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Peacemaker s2 is filming this summer but apparently it is going to be a soft reboot with S1 being not canon to Gunn's new DCU and s2 taking place after Superman.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I hope it's still good.

Gotta love that comic book media is becoming the same kind of continuity clusterfuck as the comics they're based on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what about peacemaker s1 even needs to be rebooted

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Momoa and Miller showed up in the finale so that's one thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Who cares just ignore it lol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm surprised Danielle Brooks hasn't been bugged about it more during her Oscars press tour, or maybe that's just reflective of how much people care about DC.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just delete the first season and make this new season the first season

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gripweed posted:

Just delete the first season and make this new season the first season

If Season 1 didn't happen, there's no reason not to bring Annie Chang back. She was great.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Peacemakerpoint, he goes into the past for some dumb reason and resets the entire DCU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Peacemakerpoint, he goes into the past for some dumb reason and resets the entire DCU

Cut to Peacemaker, standing over Nora Allen's body while young Barry looks on: "ah, gently caress..."

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The Peacemaker club could be vaguely aware the universe has been reset, maybe they learn it from Batmite.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Cut to Peacemaker, standing over Nora Allen's body while young Barry looks on: "ah, gently caress..."

"Why the gently caress did you make me wear a yellow shirt to kill her? My suit is red white and blue for a reason!"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Cross-posted from the animation thread: the X-Men '97 showrunner has been fired by Marvel and will no longer be involved in future seasons, or in any promotion for S1 (including attending the premiere). Something pretty significant must have gone down behind the scenes for this to happen just before the show premieres; wonder what.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1767622288101576948

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

He pulled off a mask and revealed he was Jonathan Majors

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlimGoodbody posted:

He pulled off a mask and revealed he was Jonathan Majors

Better than Rogeran Minors.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Either that or he said the word Palestine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

someone high up found out he didn't make Rogue as thicc as the original

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trying to finish off Doom Patrol S4 finally and man episode 3 is hard hill to climb. Feels like there's too much people getting separated in hallways and talking about their feelings even for this show. I'll try to push through

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

X-Men '97 is good.

Most of the voices range from decent to pretty good.

Not sure where this Rogue/Magneto thing is going.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figure when Rogue was a bad guy she and Magneto went to the bone zone. Probably MAGNETISM lets him touch her without it hurting him.

Its rad as gently caress. I'm really curious where things are going. They introduced at least 3 Claremont plots in those episodes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Rogue and Magneto sorta hooked up while stuck in the Savage Land together and in the Age of Apocalypse dimension got married and had a kid, and yeah, it's because somehow his magnet powers stop her from absorbing his powers/life essence.

loving Magnets.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Air Skwirl posted:

loving Magnets.

Literally

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I think I'll give '97 a shot, but I'm also wondering if I should go back and skin through the original run to refresh myself on what the hell even happened in this show I watched 30 years ago.

Also I still think if they were gonna reboot and old X-Men show, it shoulda been Wolverine & the X-Men instead.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

I think I'll give '97 a shot, but I'm also wondering if I should go back and skin through the original run to refresh myself on what the hell even happened in this show I watched 30 years ago.

Also I still think if they were gonna reboot and old X-Men show, it shoulda been Wolverine & the X-Men instead.

no reason to refresh on 92, let your half remembered childhood recollections guide your way

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

no reason to refresh on 92, let your half remembered childhood recollections guide your way

Yeah, a friend re-watched the series and it's best to pretend as the last season with an animation budget rivaled only by the change in your couch cushions did not exist.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The official recap suggests the two-part pilot and the series finale with maybe two or three other episodes sprinkled in. Even that was overkill.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

First X-Men episode was a lot better than I expected after I saw the previews. Feels a little hollow or rushed though, like show some cool moves and then go go go. And Cyclops' use of the beams didn't make much sense unless he has the strongest neck in the world but whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Rogue and Magneto sorta hooked up while stuck in the Savage Land together and in the Age of Apocalypse dimension got married and had a kid, and yeah, it's because somehow his magnet powers stop her from absorbing his powers/life essence.

loving Magnets.

Nothing they can't do including deaging you

E: ^^^ someone needs to repost the PUNCH DIMENSION explained again

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

First X-Men episode was a lot better than I expected after I saw the previews. Feels a little hollow or rushed though, like show some cool moves and then go go go. And Cyclops' use of the beams didn't make much sense unless he has the strongest neck in the world but whatever.

Scott's blasts shouldn't move him but they already are breaking the laws of physics so whatever. It looked cool so Rule of Cool stands

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

Yeah that’s exactly how the original worked.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lobok posted:

It's Cyclops. The rod up his rear end goes all the way to the top of his head.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that’s exactly how the original worked.

I'm almost positive he saved himself during a fall by blasting at least once during Claremont's run at least once.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The force just goes back into the force dimension not his head anyways.

I think they're trying to do What if the X-men cartoon had an actual budget, nothing more.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm almost positive he saved himself during a fall by blasting at least once during Claremont's run at least once.

Uncanny X-Men #53

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott's blasts shouldn't move him but they already are breaking the laws of physics so whatever. It looked cool so Rule of Cool stands

Yeah it's a cartoon and I said "whatever". Was never much of an X-Men reader but it seems from you folks like Cyclops using his beams in that way is dumb but in a "haha yes, exactly like the comics!" kind of dumb that I can appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yeah it's a cartoon and I said "whatever". Was never much of an X-Men reader but it seems from you folks like Cyclops using his beams in that way is dumb but in a "haha yes, exactly like the comics!" kind of dumb that I can appreciate.

His optic blasts are literally a portal to the punch dimension. It's dumb as poo poo and I loving love it. I hate when people make them a heat vision.