Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Waterhaul posted:

So this weeks episode of Arrow had Ollie fighting China White and Bronze Tiger, while trying to deal with Brother Blood causing an uprising in the city AND then got Roy Harper taking up the Red Arrow mantle and still hasn't dealt with Black Canary around.

Basically it's the anti-Agents of SHIELD.

It's also in it's second season, how many C-listers had arrow introduced by it's 4th episode?

I don't even understand the compulsion to compare the two shows, Arrow's never going to be able to do fun gags with X-Ray specs or wonky gravity adventures and SHIELD isn't trying to be the Dark Knight the tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ToastyPotato posted:

The problem people are having is that there is not really any valid explanation for why the comic material SHOULD be sparse and that the show so far seems to be going out of its way to avoid comic material, such as refusing to just admit that the secret big bad guys this season are either AIM, Hydra, or both. We've been introduced to both organizations in the movies already, so it is kind of stupid that they are avoiding using them so far, while dangling this "where is this mysterious supertech coming from, who could possibly be behind this?!" plot thread in front of the viewers in almost every episode aside from the Graviton one (which quickly defused AIM speculation by introducing a character who does not seem to be affiliated with AIM or Hydra as the source for THAT episode's super science funding group.)

Hydra are literally Nazis it'd be a bit hard to justify a main character being recruited from an organization whose public face is effectively a Hitler's scientists fan club.

I like Arrow fine, but I don't really get the point of naming a character Tommy Merlin or Speedy when they have nothing in common with comic character of that name.

I think Arrow is in far more danger of overreaching if it tries to introduce more fantastical comic book elements into it's mythos, when Flash and the superpowers start showing up it's going to really mess with the tone of the show.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Also this show is based on Marvel Comics, and in Marvel comics citizens aren't constantly wandering around freaked out by all the aliens and demigods running around blowing up the city every couple of days it's just a convention of the genre that society reverts to a semblance of relatable normality no matter what kind of crazy poo poo happened last week.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Whoever Danny Rand is you can rest assured the show is going to be chock full of mysterious old Asian martial arts masters.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

zoux posted:

I dunno what the Marvel explanation is for guys like Quicksilver, but there are a bunch more speedsters in DC I think anyway.

Also do they still do the thing where the speedsters have to constantly eat all the time?

Well A) Quicksilver doesn't run as ridiculously fast as Flash, B) he's a mutant, mutant adaptations usually have the catch-all effect that they both grant you the power and adapt your body so that using your power doesn't kill you (see: why Cyclops doesn't snap his neck every time he fires a Sentinel destroying eye beam).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Opopanax posted:

The worst thing about it is that they already have a perfectly good series in Gotham Central, they just decided to this instead

I would love a Gotham Central show, but you know ever week people (including this thread) would just be whining "Where's Batman!"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Easily the best episode of SHIELD to date and lovely as Voltron-chest Deathlok looked initially, X-Ray Deathlok might be the best realized comic book character to date (for half a second of screen time).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Civil War could have been great if most any of the authors were capable of maintaining a little moral ambiguity, vigilantism should be illegal after all, but going from "you can't run around trying to arrest people without any legitimated authority" to "If you have powers and you don't willingly join our fascist hierarchy we will send you to torture prison in another dimension (also murderous clone robots)"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of funny how much AoS didn't care if people hadn't seen Winter Soldier yet.

Spoiler alert guys, Hydra does not successfully take over the world in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

They really didn't spoil much you couldn't see from watching the movie trailers that aired during the show months ago.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah not convinced they're cutting bait with Ward since he never uttered a "Hail Hydra," shooting a couple innocent people in the head can be explained away by mind control and the like but you really can't bring a character back from uttering a Nazi salute.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I don't know why TV episodes have covers now, but at least they're not half-assing it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

So they're definitely never going to make Ward good again seeing as he murdered Patton Oswalt's character.

That's his sixth on screen kill, I think we're a ways past speculating that everyone is just walking around with squib packs taped to their heads.

Maybe they'd try and rehabilitate him through a mind control excuse or something but it seems unlikely, we already know more of evil Ward's back story than we ever found out about the boy scout version, also he's a vastly better character.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 23, 2014

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

A character suddenly announcing they've known the hero's secret identity all along is a pretty safe indicator they're about to take a dirt nap.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Not on Arrow, since there's a new one of those every week.

There's a difference between a character finding out the hero's secret identity (which opens up new storytelling avenues for that character) and a character saying they've known the whole time (or for a long time at least), it means the writers are done with the character, if they thought that character finding out the secret identity would open up new storytelling avenues it wouldn't have happened off screen.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Solid episode of SHIELD again this week, the season may actually average out okay at this rate.

"Huh" was by far the best way to wrap up the Coulson mystery (now let us never speak of it again).

Skye seemed genuinely competent and I loved that she went for the Nazi card right out of the gate.

Ward's particular flavour of delusional manchild evil where he thinks he's just playing spy games is great but I hope they don't try and steam role a quick redemption arc in the last two episodes (unless it's for Deathlok).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

This is a Whedon show, Ward is getting his redemption eventually to become the snarky anti-hero. I mean Buffy had murderer and attempted rapist Spike become the sacrificial hero, even Ward hasn't sunk to that level yet.

They underlined that he was working for a Nazi organization and this episode he murdered a dog (and ostensibly left the two meekest cast members to suffocate at the bottom of the ocean). This show can't afford to keep Bill Paxton on the payroll forever, it's more likely Ward is being set up as the next season's big bad, he sure isn't coming back from all that baggage in one 44 minute episode.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

That ep really stuck the landing in every way it needed to.

achillesforever6 posted:

The Agents of Shield finale really did redeem a lot of the stupid bullshit in the first half and make sitting through all of it worth it.

I don't know if I'd go that far, you could definitely set up a viewing guide for the first season that excised whole episodes with zero narrative loss.

Hopefully with the later time slot next year and it's new found love of nailguns and curb stomping things get a little darker and a lot more serialized.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

The only problem with the running plot threads on SHIELD was there wasn't nearly enough of them in the early going when they were trying to be CSI:Super Power Division. It's a comic book show, serialized fiction is kind of the idea.

Dexo posted:

Counterpoint: The AV Club reviewer literally didn't pick up on the fact that the "Incentives program" was the family members that they were holding hostage in a facility. When it was all but stated.

Yeah, I really have to question whether that guy was even watching the whole episode it wasn't exactly subtle, the climax hinges on Skye figuring it out.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Seriously, I don't care if it's a trope, or lame, or bad writing, I loving love the whole "dude gets superpowers and is loving psyched about it" type of stories.

That's not a trope or even cliché, it's how anyone who got awesome super powers would act, give me that any day over moping around because I'm Superman.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Great trailer, but I'm pretty sure I just watched 90% of the Flash Pilot episode.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Spoiler: WB doesn't know either.

No loving way does Warner Brothers let it's super serious neck snapping Superman associate with a CW show.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't say they'd care about that, more no way does Warner want relatively unknown tv actor headlining a film.

Well D-list (Lifetime movie) actors are kind of part and parcel of the low rent production the CW puts forward. I'm not saying sometimes they don't do a lot with what little they have, as with Arrow, but it's got to be the red headed stepchild of the Warner Bros media empire.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Colour me a lot more skeptical on Flash, there might be enough there to build into a good show but the characters need A LOT of work, Barry in particular is a big fat zero right now with seemingly little room for character growth, really not looking forward to a whole season of his goony crush on his adoptive sister. Also the minute long Arrow cameo is by far the worst part of the pilot.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Constantine had a petty strong pilot, will be interested to see how it plays off week to week. I'm a bit hesitant about some of the DC Universe winks, since that was always downplayed in the good source material and I'm very hesitant about whatever they're doing with Chas.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I have a hard time picturing the Atom working on show like Arrow, especially without a huge CGI budget.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

That is dreamcasting 101.

(and the worst possible picture of Scott Glenn)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

hi liter posted:

Obviously this would be a huge achievement for these many different companies and such to pull off and I'm not holding my breath. Is there precedent for cross-network crossover? I'm pretty sure late era Buffy on UPN still had stuff to do with Angel on WB.

Angel had the same showrunner and an expectation of established continuity from years of being a spinoff on the same network, I bet it was still a huge hassle to negotiate any crossover.

A CBS show is not going to deign to crossover with a CW show if for no other reason than elitism.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with network fiat, it's a conscious choice to do something different than what Marvel does with their stuff, which I think is a good thing.

It has everything to do with network fiat, I'm not sure aside from winking Richard Belzer type joke cameos and the legacy Buffyverse cameos that any two networks have ever allowed a cross over like that and I really doubt CBS has.

Also not really sure how it's a conscious choice to be different than Marvel when Arrow and Flash already have done a crossover, Marvel has yet to do a crossover on it's TV shows (largely because there's only one on the air at the moment) and we don't know if the Netflix shows will be allowed to directly interact with the ABC ones (though that would be a lot easier pill for ABC to swallow).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Shield was pretty good this week, I like Mockingbird a lot. It seems pretty naive of Coulsen to let Ward out of his cell though, but maybe it's all part of the plan (although probably not with the Shield agents dying and all).
Those weren't Shield agents they were regular military (presumably Talbot's mooks) and they didn't specifically show Ward kill any of them.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I'm all aboard for the Inhumans but Skye not hesitating to put 3 bullets in Ward the second he freed her was the best thing all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

To be more accurate, "so that his sister would not have the death of a man who is a mass murderer, drugged her and made her murder an old family friend, ex-lover and current ally of her brother on her head. Also this man was marked for death by the League and was going to be killed by their hand, not hers, so her giving him up did nothing but expedite his sentence and had he been turned over to the police he would have been sentenced to death there too probably (or at least anywhere that had a death penalty would have)."

There's still a Federal death penalty and you'd very much get it for building an earthquake machine that destroyed half a city.