Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

I am going to have to check out Arrow. I certainly enjoyed Smallville when it had wider DCU stuff in it. Now if it just was on Canadian netflix we'd be all set.

Unblock US is totally worth the $5/month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

But I can only use it on my computer and I have a nice big HD tv I'd want to watch it on. Or my kindle HD.

Set it up right on your router and it works for everything

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah we don't know what his powers will be like when he returns (other than presumably just being telekinesis) but the guy has regular dudes distract him while scientists come up with a plan that just might work written all over him. Personally I'm more interested in how they decide to render him given that I presume he won't be a full CGI character despite last weeks ending.

Probably t-1000 style; have him CGI for some quick, moving around shots, then he reforms as himself

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barry Convex posted:

that the general public wasn't aware of the existence of superhumans until Avengers, which makes little sense given events in Thor, Captain America, and (especially) The Incredible Hulk.

Thor and Hulk were gas explosions, most people figure Cap was just an actor. Pretty easy stuff for a top secret organization to disapear

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waterhaul posted:

I just don't get how you cover up the end of Avengers.

Multiple! giant dragon monster things flew around New York out of a multi-mile long portal in the sky and the film ended with media footage of people showing survivors and footage of wreckage.

They use sense and nerve gases to induce hallucinations!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

Nobody trusted Shield in any of the Marvel films so far either, so that is not really indicative of anything. An example of my point is the fact that outside of Coulson, who basically died via impalement on an alien spear, via a godlike being, no one seems to have any real issue or trauma with what happened in NYC. Again, think about how many people had their world turned upside down by 9/11, and now realize that no one on the team, most of whom were in Shield when this happened, seem to have any issue with the fact that we were invaded by aliens and a bunch of people died. They have literally returned to just globe trotting around looking up suspicious things and people, which is what they have been doing since the first Marvel film.

Even Skye, who is a normal person, is no where near as phased by any of this as she probably should be. She's apparently just as concerned with (spoilered because you are behind) finding out what happened to her parents as she is about "getting the truth out there" or whatever.

I dunno. The show isn't awful by any stretch. It's miles ahead of Smallville, but dammit if so far it doesn't feel like its wasting its potential.

Most of those people weren't anywhere near New York at the time, so they'd manage. Tony's PTSD was also a major bit of Iron Man 3 so it wouldn't exactly be new ground

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barry Convex posted:

Regarding episode 8 (the Thor:TDW aftermath one), as I said in the other thread: just please, make the nature of the tie-in more interesting than "bad guy threatens to get his hands on Svartalfheim laser gun MacGuffin" or the equivalent.

No such luck!

"In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces – one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team."

Makes sense really, they can't really do crossovers in quite the same way that comics do, everything has to be contained to it's own medium

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Some kind of modified Dark Reign storyline would actually work well in a show format

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume we will be getting Kingpin and Purple Man at least.
I also assume that the Punisher will be saved for season 2.

If they're not putting in Strange Kingpin makes the most sense, he can be the big bad behind everything in the solo series, then they all team up to take him out in Defenders. I guess they're just calling it Defenders because that sounds better than Marvel Knights

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Teek posted:

So who's the current fan dream casting wish for Kingpin? Chiklis?

Off the top of my head I'd say Paul Sorvino, but Chiklis is not a bad choice.

I wonder if they'll go with a white guy or not though. A lot of people are only going to know Michael Clarke Duncan in the role

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think Dean Norris is a pretty safe bet, he's super high profile right now with Breaking Bad ending, but not high profile enough to be really expensive. He's a bit short but he has the look down otherwise

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

The dude with the goldfish in his shoes never fails. But yea, the rest of it feels way to 1992.

It's funny, I always associate Kingpin with Spiderman, mostly because the first place I ever saw him was in a Spiderman comic.

A lot of people know him mainly from the 90s cartoon. It' slime how a lot of people think John is the only Green Lantern

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's a really good way of doing a half-reboot or whatever this is going to be. It's not like he needs a huge introduction, his origin can be gone over in about 10 minutes a la Incredible Hulk

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They have 12 episodes, so they could do 4 or 5 building him up and going after Kingpin, then a run of Born Again episodes, and the last one where he rallys and decides to put together the Marvel Knights Defenders.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The constant "Coulson's an LMD" references are getting a bit much. I'm half expecting them to play an ominous tone every time like Arrested Development

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would be totally okay with them screwing with us.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

That would be the smartest thing to do but I don't really have any faith in that happening. The fact that all of these characters are going to exist in a TV capacity, instead of a movie capacity, should absolutely mean that they appear on AOS proper, but I can see Disney loving it up and refusing to let different foods touch on their plate.

Because they have such a poor track record with cross overs so far...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He'll just get mortally wounded, but whoa hey what are all these wires? If they use anything else for the season finale I'll be surprised.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Flannery was who I had in my head when I read it, but he's probably too old for the part now.

Sam Elliot for Saint of Killers or bust

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

When I was a kid, i was always blown away when the Xmen had to contact the Avengers for help, or Iron Man had to deal with Doc Ock, but they seem to be afraid to do that with the newer shows.

I remember in the 90s when Spider-Man and the X-Men had a crossover and they ran it in Primetime because it was such a big deal

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ugh, just do Gotham Central already.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

quote:

Reilly confirmed that the series will be as much of an origins story for Batman as Gordon. The pilot, executive produced and written by The Mentalist showrunner Bruno Heller, is in the process of casting -- and Reilly supposed that they will be looking for a boy of about 12 years old to play the young Wayne.

Gordon becomes Batman, Wayne becomes Robin. Do it Warner, go nuts

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

sleepingbuddha posted:

Why couldn't they have just made this Gotham Central and only had brief cameos of Batman, typically in the shadows?

That'd be a great idea that makes a lot of money and Warner hates that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

NBC's getting a Constantine pilot

I could dig that, NBC does some good stuff and Constantine is definitely a property that could work as a weekly show

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone explain to me the reasoning for this as someone who did not watch Smallville?

Film and TV execs are fountains of bad, nonsensical ideas.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This came out the day after DC shelved Wonder Woman, I think Marvel is trolling them

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Give it to Tom Welling, he's not busy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

She's their current big mystery, there's no way she dies off.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fuller's still working on Hannibal for NBC, maybe this is a cross thing from that. If they get Fuller on board I'll gladly dive back in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waterhaul posted:

Really? I love Fuller but dude couldn't save the last time it had gone completely down the drain.

Best doctor in the world can't raise the dead. And there was still a marked improvement when he came back, it was just too deeply terrible at that point.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Make Sylar the main character and turn it into SuperDexter

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Didn't the eventually make it "One power at a time"? That made sense.

And as bad as Sylar's flip flopping was at least it would give us some cool scenes when he he'd inevitably go evil again and do some massacring. Mohinder's flip flopping was the worst and never made any sense with the plot

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I watched it right through to the end because I had some kind of stockholm syndrome and kept expecting it to get better, and didn't want to have to catch up when it did.

And I'll watch this new one, too :negative:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this? posted:

The Irish girlfriend left in the hell future was really weird because of how unnecessary the whole thing was.

A lot of season 2 got hosed up by the writers strike. It got cut short and a lot of stuff that was set up didn't get followed through on

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I remember correctly Kring took a lot of the blame for screwing up S2, then started to fix things when the writers strike went into effect. Then I guess they wanted to start fresh with S3 (which still wound up being mostly garbage). S4 was ok, mainly due to Robert Knepper.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well, yeah

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

I think a lot of people were turned off by the advertising for the show and probably even the first episode. I practically had to make a presentation to get my friend to watch it because he had seen parts of the pilot and most of the ads and was convinced the show was absolute trash. Now he genuinely likes the show and binged all the way to catching up. I was basically the same way.

I think a lot of people were turned off by 10 years of Smallville more than anything

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They could always turn her into the other other Captain Marvel, Spectrum or whatever her name was

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

No no, I mean the other other other one, Marh Vehl's daughter from GotG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

I'd say the gold standard for super speed on film is the Faora vs. soldiers fight in Man of Steel, but that may be a bit beyond a CW's show budget.

I was just going to post that. Definitely the best high speed fighting I've seen