Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I am a bit late to this but I just want to remind everyone that the last time we had a show where Batman only appeared (sort of) once and then the main characters were left to their own devices we got Birds of Prey.

Also, it doesn't sound like Warner is making these television decisions but rather Fox is. I am guessing Warner sold off their licensing rights for TV or whatever so Fox can do pretty much what they want to do. It will have nothing to do with the movie.
That being said, not getting a Gotham Central TV show makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how Darksied was actually defeated Clark flew through him and poof

You forgot to mention that Aquaman showed up for a few minutes out of the whole series. I remember him blowing up an oil rig, because that will totally stop the rape of the oceans and not spill billions of gallons of oil.

They did also have the 90s reboot verison of Starman, straight down to the piercings and grunge attire. And I honestly liked Daniel Jackson as Hawkman.

I was going through this list of heroes who appeared in Smallville, and I don't know what's worst = the costumes that look like the comicbook counterparts (which look so cheap and plastic) or the ones that don't look anything like the counterparts. Also I see that Black Canary had the painted on mask, something carried over to Arrow.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of appreciated the episode where they had the Royal Flush gang.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Slade's arc in Arrow actually makes Deathstroke an interesting character. I love how good the show has treated Slade and his reveal at the end was trully awesome.
Also I feel like there is going to be some epically awesome fight between Slade and Roy before this season is done.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

Roy's either going to be the cavalry, saving Ollie, or he's the sacrificial lamb, the superpowered dork who gets his rear end handed to him so that Oliver looks more awesome when he can win without powers. Probably the latter, I think.

Oh I think it will definitely be Olly who puts Slade down in the end, but I can see Roy going after Slade thinking he's ready and tough enough only to get a beatdown like no other.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chaos Hippy posted:

I'm always late to the party when it comes to TV shows, so I only just watched the first two episodes of Arrow tonight. I was a bit gun-shy, even after reading this thread, thanks to memories of Smallville. But goddamn that is a good show. Much better than I ever expected, especially in the dialogue and acting departments. The only (minor) complaint came from my wife: "are we going to have to watch him work out every episode?"

If anything there has been a sad lack of working out in the new season.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Throughout the latest episode of Arrow all I could think of is "they have introduced Vertigo, Deadshot, Waller, and Bronze Tiger, I wonder if they are building up to Suicide Squad" knowing that the Suicide Squad is one of my favourite comicbooks, and then Waller came and said the words. I clapped with glee.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Really? Outside of the very rare cameo and like two team-ups, he barely interacted with anyone in the larger DCU once he got his own book. Bringing in guest stars would already take away from what makes him work as a character.

I don't think its a bad idea really. Constantine as he stands now is a DC property, where he has titles linked to the bigger magical picture of the DCU (ie Justice League Dark). I doubt much of his tv show will be based on his Vertigo comics and it might be a way for the network to introduce DC magical characters through the backdoor like how Arrow has introduced a whole slew of DC characters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am pretty sure this season of Arrow's theme is "poo poo on Laurel's life", and I kind of like it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Not really surprising given the way comic book tv shows are going but Arrow is officially renewed for another season :toot:

Speaking of which has AoS still not been renewed?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't say Batman villain as more of a general villains. The Suicide Squad guys are general villains, ditto for Royal Flush Gang. The only two Batman "villains/characters" are Ras who hasn't appeared, and Huntress who operates in Gotham.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

At least he's a Brit (Welsh, not English).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

Trainwreck analogy.

Also explains why I tuned in every week for Under the Dome.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I live in Vancouver. Want to take a guess on how many American shows are filmed here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It might be a good show by any other name but it seems to miss the point by a wide margin.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

I remember reading it, and all I can remember is the Allred art. The series did have some good ideas, but they were not able to expand on them as it ended before it could flesh them out. The last trade reads like I was missing a couple of storylines as it had characters in places that did not follow from the last volume. For all you know some of the characters could still be there, but those characteristics will be revealed later.

I wasn't a fan of the story at all outside of Allred's art. However they are suggesting a supernatural procedure instead of hipster zombies.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Meanwhile in Arrow "holy poo poo that ending".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was also a bus with a Blue Devil movie ad on the side.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Ahhhhhh.

So much poo poo is going to go down next week. The show does the best closing stings.

I think its either next week or the week after is the introduction of the Suicide Squad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

So much glee there. From the Suicide Squad to Slade going full badass. Also looks like Roy is going to try take Slade on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm secretly hoping for Arsenal because all of Ollie's sidekicks need names Roy Harper used to use.

Clearly he's Speedy and Roy is Red Arrow.
There was an episode in season 1 where Diggle dressed up as Arrow and did some cool stuff so I called him DigArrow. I really wished DigArrow would appear again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This almost makes me want to watch AoS. Almost.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In non-AoS fan news Arrow last night seemed a bit uneven to me but it definitely sets the direction for the next several episodes. Manu Bennett absolutely killed it in this episode and the ending with him without the eye patch was messed up creepy. It was quite interesting that the episode was mostly confined to the Queen's house and the Amazo ship and that is what I found to be the most jarring of this episode. Also the actress playing Sara is.....not really that good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What did N.O.W.H.E.R.E stand for?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Full Flash costume reveal.

Awkward pose and photoshopping aside it looks like a Flash costume so good job TV people.

source

drat that looks good. Curious how they are going to make his powers look though. While running really really really fast in comics allows artists to be creative I just fear it might come off goofy in live action (and yes I know it will be CGI but still).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And in stark contrast with the Flash, webpage, logo and description for Gotham

http://www.fox.com/gotham/

This is gonna be such a trainwreck.

I was down with the first 2 paragraphs but then they went on about introducing the villains and it lost me. I don't mind a mention to Cobblepott here and there, but I worry that it might try jam goofy villains into a police procedural.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea. Hell I could even accept mention of the Red Hood and his gang if they played it up being a complete shlub under the hood everytime but Joker wouldn't work without Batman and I would hate for them to try make it some random serial killer who becomes the Joker later on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Here's the ~promo~ picture of Constantine.

No complaints.

(Though he really should be smoking)

It's amusing that when I see this Constantine pics I think "man he dresses up like Castiel from Supernatural" knowing full well that Castiel's look was based completely on Constantine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I'm sure there will be a million tweets about how Constantine is a total ripoff of Castiel after it premieres.

Screw that. A day after the pilot airs the internet will be flooded with millions (okay - hundreds.....dozens) of Castiel/Constantine slash fiction.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's almost as if they made the most passive aggressive gently caress you costume around. See fans. Here you go. You finally get a character based on a comicbook that you care about. There you go. Happy? Now? Tough.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Harvey looks pretty good. Gordon looks.....strange to me. Any word on the time period that they are setting it in?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Arrow last night was pretty wicked and I loved the way they show Deadshot's deathwish and love of his children (two traits out of the comicbooks). Also loved all the call-outs to the DCU. Stuff like Khandaq, Markovia, Harley Quinn's voice. Also props to calling the hotel suite the Ostrander suite.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Alfred

He looks kind of ominous for a good guy.

For a show that is supposed to be about Gordon there is a distinct amount of non-Gordon stuff g on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It would be hilarious if they show Gordon being instrumental to the creation of all the rogues and not Batman. In the end Batman has to come in and clean up Gordon's poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to Arrow tonight (that other comicbook based show that everyone isn't bitching about) I figured Moira was going to bite it but I thought they would save it to the end of the season. Seeing her die at the end was a huge blow and I am now looking forward to seeing Slade and Arrow really really go at it. Also I put money on the final person who has to die being one of the Lance sisters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DynamicSloth posted:

A character suddenly announcing they've known the hero's secret identity all along is a pretty safe indicator they're about to take a dirt nap.

Like I said, I figured the character was going to die, just not so soon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I thought after nothing happened at the press conference they were going to hold off on it for a while but whelp.

drat those last ten minutes or so were brutal but Slade basically signed his death warrent now so it's only a matter of time before Ollie or Ollie and Merlyn: The Arrow Bros. shut him up.

I figured that they were saving Merlyn for next season but I have seen it mentioned in a few places that now that Slade has killed the mother of his kid, and emotionally scarred his kid beyond repair Merlyn is ripe for a return.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I refuse to regret my decision to stop watching that show after the 3rd episode.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last night's Arrow pretty much said "things are hosed for Oliver" in a big loud voice, and it was a great episode in doing so. I love the idea of mini-Slades running around ready to cause poo poo like a bunch of drunken football hooligans and it was nice to see Oliver pushed to the brink before deciding to stay and fight, and still having his plans backfire. I usually hate it when the villain always seems to be two steps ahead of the hero the whole time, but in Arrow's case the show has really been showing how Slade is in a whole different league from Oliver, and everytime Oliver says that they have to fight smart, he gets his arse handed to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They missed their opportunity to have it take place in 1930's Chic....er....Gotham.