Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A constant gently caress-up, neurotic and petty loser with immense powers sounds way more interesting to me as a villain for Agents of SHIELD than Magneto 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

When you reduce every other idea down to a bumbling, Mr. Magoo style cartoon, I imagine turning every villain into Magneto does seem quite deep and compelling.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's a pretty big difference between people knowing about Tony Stark's crazy suit shenanigans and the Hulk having been seen and the wider public knowing just how deep the rabbit hole goes and that a whole slew of superheroes and alternate, alien worlds exist.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's not really a laser gun, but there's a piece of the Dark Elves' 'arsenal' that fits the bill for what they could do really easily and would make the most sense with that synopsis.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I wonder how much of the marketing for The Boys was handled by Ennis, et. al. I remember there were these really tacky full page spreads of like, the Female or Frenchie ripping off Wonder Woman's face and making some gross quip. Did he write those?

If it actually ends up being Rogen and Goldberg doing Preacher, I really hope they do their own thing with it. I didn't love This is The End or anything, but I think a straight-faced adaption of Preacher ala Snyder's Watchmen would be really terrible.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not talking about objectionable content. I just really, really don't want to see another 'port' of something. If you're going to hire people with a style who are known for a particular type of thing, don't hire them to adapt exactly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I get that... But outside of Watchmen, who else has really ever done it? Not to mention it worked really well for that film. (Watchmen's shortcomings all stem from trying to do a genre-deconstructing story in a medium that didn't have enough content to truly warrant it).

If you adapted Preacher twice, one as a direct page to screen work, and once as a reimagining, one will clearly work better than the other. I don't think it matters what kind of auteur or showrunner you get, it won't capture the voice of the original story (pun intended).

Again, I'm not saying it won't work done in a new way, but for years, Preacher has been the story nerds and spergs have asked for as a direct translation. Because its one of the only stories that can be adapted so easily.

I'll be honest, I don't think either of your assertions are that true. People have been demanding Preacher as a direct translation because people demand every comic book series be adapted as a direct 'HBO miniseries' translation forever.

And the best parts of Watchmen (2009) are easily the parts where it steps outside of the bland comic book criticism to address the history of superheroes in film.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The entirety of the Arrow advertisements before it first aired here in Australia was literally just a two second shot of him on an island followed by about thirty seconds of him working his way up the weights rack.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

No one could.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ufarn posted:

Is there a tally somewhere of all the directors Marvel have replaced?

They're at about five or so, right, if you count directors they drove away?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It'd be like doing Tony Stark and not touching on his alcoholism and other self destructive behaviour.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Keanu just felt a bit too clean cut for me.

It's the clean-shaven-ness and the mostly immaculate suit. Keanu had a face like a knife back then as well. He just looks really young and spotless. Aside from that, it's a really, really good film, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I bet DC really stomped down hard when they requested Richard Dragon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Look at the goddamn Constantine pilot and you can say the exact same thing. Plus you forget that when Constantine initially showed up in Swamp Thing he was clean-shaven and wearing immaculate suits. It wasn't until Hellblazer was well underway that the whole "gutterpunk" look for Constantine became the norm.

Guess which comic incarnation of the character is considered the most popular, most consistent and well known, friend. Hence why Waterhaul would feel that the movie's presentation of Constantine would feel at odds with the character, buddy!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Don't patronize me here, especially because again you can point the whole "HE LOOKS TOO CLEAN :goonsay:" argument right back at the pilot that just leaked.

What are you talking about, bro? I haven't even seen the pilot, chum. I was only responding to Waterhaul's one, very specific comment about Keanu Reeves' portrayal, mate.

greatn posted:

Neither, cause no one even knows the movie was based on a comic.

Again, talking to a guy who moderates a comic book forum about why a movie's portrayal of a character he's seen in the comics doesn't sit right with him, on the comic book forum. Context. Uh, comrade.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Okay, well, thanks for chiming in, I guess.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I also don't like the Judas thing because over the years I've come to believe that Judas gets too vilified for his actions.

People really give him a hard time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Is there any hope at all that those two roles in the middle will be culled before that show makes it to air.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

zoux posted:

Hmmm so it's almost like the show developed and improved over time and maybe the endless bitching and whining about it were premature.

The bitching and whining about the show being bad when it was bad was...premature?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

zoux posted:

People expect shows to be incredible from day one and don't give writers and actors time to develop. I guess premature was the wrong word, but the level of vitriol directed at the show and the way SHIELD bashing would infect any topic remotely related to comic book shows was way out of proportion.

Maybe it was out of proportion, I don't really know, but it's not like SHIELD had a rough first two or three episodes and then got into the groove. The vast majority of the first season was dire. People gave it a lot of chances.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

Lazarus pits. Nasty business that. The say that what go in... ain't the same as what come out.

So that show might improve, is what you're saying?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Thankfully, you don't have to watch it before or after.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone want to go catch some roller derby?

Oh, no, wait, that's The Atom.

RetardCop

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Inhumans were introduced in the 60s.

Pertinent.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The first half of Agents of SHIELD was loving hot garbage.

To be fair, so was the first half of Arrow.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think it should be applauded for the brilliance of lazily treading water with terrible episodes while it waited for it's cross-marketing promotion to become apparent.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

But it's ok because SHIELD is gone forever, right?

Oh wow, two creepy retards hung up on me. Boy am I flattered.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Someone sure is salty that people remember hilariously stupid things they say.

The wi-fi must be excellent in the train museum for you to respond to me that quickly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FlQuQfDso

Please stop obsessing over me. There's so many other things for you to catalogue and define your life around.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That suit looks exceptionally lovely.

Just stick with the thrown together look.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

I'm loving that people in this thread are calling the Daredevil costume poo poo after seeing roughly 20% of it under heavy shadow.

It's marketing material, if marketing material looks like poo poo it's doing a bad job.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I thought the fight scenes in the first episode were a real letdown for the most part. Everything else was pretty good, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

redbackground posted:

How often, if ever, do we see things from Matt's perspective?

In the first episode you don't, but I've heard it happens later.

For the most part, he just does a 'listen really intently' thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

No loving clue what Noel Murray was talking about when he said there's no humour or levity. (ep2)WE ARE FILLED WITH MIGHTY EEL STRENGTH!

I don't really get it either. The first episode is filled with all that fairly typical Marvel-style dialogue and quips and the second episode even opens up with the excellent gag where Rosario Dawson tries to get a response out of Matt by shining a light in his eyes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks, I didn't realize that was medical procedure.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope they go balls to the walls mystic kung fu with it and have Iron Fist take on swarms of ninjas and a dragon and otherworldly fighters.

As dumb as my pre-occupation with this idea is, I think if Danny Rand doesn't at least one-inch punch a rushing locomotive to pieces, I'll be disappointed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'd still like Michael Jai White.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

So then why don't we make Shang-Chi white?

You seem really smart and like you've got this all figured out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Asians: Only one included. Use sparingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's good and cool.