Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Lucy Lawless is joining AoS but no word on who she's playing yet

She's good in everything she's in, so that's awesome. I'm expecting her to be this season's Bill Paxton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opopanax posted:

I desperately want an Avengers musical in my lifetime

There is this. I don't think it has singing, but it does have motorcross bikes which is even better.

http://www.marveluniverselive.com

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They debunked it already, but I would be totally down with him as Strange.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

lomzus posted:

I was more thinking about the update from TV Line.

Hence why I said they debunked it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't read Powers, but that's a super interesting cast. Not really what I expected out of some weird PSN-exclusive thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If that's a troll it's not a very good one since she's a terrible actress.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People talk up that Tick live action show, and I like Warburton, but I never thought it was very good. Much rather have a cartoon. That said, cool for people who liked it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

It's free you big moaner

Guess no one can criticize any fan project ever made then.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If it's not good it's not good, they don't get some sort of quality pass just 'cause it's independent. You can still applaud the effort and intent behind it even though the end result isn't great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iron Man is a regular human wearing a suit :colbert:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, good thing SHIELD is pretty cool now guys

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I haven't read Powers, but I don't really get anything interesting out of that trailer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Summary of the panel, tons of info: http://screenrant.com/daredevil-netflix-nycc-panel-footage-preview/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought that pilot was garbage too, and they're evidently retooling some stuff, but I wouldn't expect it to change massively. It is just a pilot though, so the show could improve, but as is it just seems like a way shittier version of Supernatural.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

SHIELD, it's still the same show they just kill off characters now and reference bigger D list people. The terrible actors are still terrible, it's just people have gotten used to their characters.

TNG had the bonus of ending so Worf could go to DS9.

Nah, it's a good show. It's fun, the characters have come into their own, the overarching storyline is going places, Kyle McLachlan is great, and it doesn't feel like they're hamstrung by the movies anymore. But you're right, people who like it are just used to it, awesome conclusion.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Geez, a show moving in a different direction with a new season, that's not like that happens in every single serialized show ever made.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Good shows do it organically and through character development. They aren't waiting for other people to tell them it's okay to make the show interesting.

The show is interesting, though :wink:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VDay posted:

If you're going to play the "which cherry-picked stories/arcs/episodes didn't bring anything interesting to the table" game then AoS is going to lose pretty hard. Hey remember the genius military strategist general guy that AoS spent like 3-4 episodes introducing/developing/unceremoniously killing off? Yeah that was a great use of screentime what an interesting and entertaining story that was.

Talbot was not killed off and he's no doubt going to be a factor again this season.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

I thought we were talking about season 2. Everyone concedes that most of AoS season 1 was poor and just treading water until Cap 2. Arrow is much better than most of season 1.

Yeah, the steak guy is not in season 2, and no one is defending the first season here. Even after the Cap switch I didn't think it was massively improved. Season 2 has been very good, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress, this week's SHIELD was amazing. Every single plot point of this season just converged like a motherfucker and I can't remember the last time I watched any episode of a TV show that moved at such a rapid pace without ever losing steam. Every scene was on loving point, except for maybe the one with Bobbi/Hunter. Also Ward is seriously incredible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It doesn't matter who ripped off who first when Constantine is in fact closer in tone and pace to Supernatural than the actual comics. I don't think the show has much of its own identity at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Krysten Ritter was good in Breaking Bad, but she's definitely not even close to what I had in mind casting-wise. Who knows, though! I mean she got the part for a reason, Marvel has consistently been great at casting so I have little reason to doubt them here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Naw, it's just a really good show.

True. They really stepped up their game. Ward and Skye are actually really cool characters now! It's not the best show of the year, but I do legit look forward to every episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can probably count the number of great/necessary prequels in film and television on one hand though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Agent Carter was pretty fun, if very clichéd. I had no real interest beforehand, but it looks and sounds much better than I was expecting. All things considered it does seem pretty inconsequential, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Was Taters posted:

Inconsequential to a shared universe is the BEST thing a show can be.

Nah, not really. It's not like the main conflict is at all interesting, at least yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Considering the debut is merely four months away, it is kind of weird that we haven't had any footage.

TV is kind of a different beast. There is no real trailer for the new season of Game of Thrones either and that's also out in April.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like most Netflix shows are like that, apart from maybe House of Cards and Arrested Development since they were hyped up a lot beforehand. I never knew Orange is the New Black, Hemlock Grove, Bojack Horseman or Marco Polo existed until the day they premiered. Granted this is a Marvel show so you'd think there'd be more marketability there, but I don't know. I'm sure we'll see a trailer real soon though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When was Hayley Atwell an A-actress? Not being sarcastic, I thought she primarily did TV outside of the Marvel films, of which she wasn't a huge part anyway. The first thing I saw her in was Pillars of the Earth.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Haha, what? Vinnie Jones is in Arrow now? I know technically he's been acting as long as he played football but it never stops weirding me out whenever he pops up in something. From the man who crushed Gazza's balls in his hand to primetime US television. :psyduck:

He's the Juggernaut, BITCH

(remember that loving thing?)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like David Tennant a lot because I enjoy Doctor Who but even outside of that people say he's amazing in Broadchurch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

I've never read Jessica Jones, and I've never seen anything with Krysten Ritter that I know of, so it's perfect casting.

I will say I don't think she's got the look, but she's a fine actress and will probably do a good job. I don't know the guy playing Luke Cage, but as far as I'm concerned Marvel haven't made a single bad casting announcement for these Netflix shows yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have had zero exposure to Hellcat outside of Spidey Super Stories and like the new She-Hulk, what else has she been good in?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Guess who.

Allegedly the Joker in Gotham

Are they really bringing in Kid Joker as if that's at all an interesting concept

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nice cosplay

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think it's at all a stretch to say that nothing that ever happens on AoS will have any relevance on the films. Yeah, Coulson could show up again, but even that I wouldn't take as a given since his role in the film universe is kinda over. The show's position in the greater MCU scheme is to serve as a marketing tool, it will always be second rate. I think it's a good show, but it's just not realistic to expect it to have any influence at all.

ToastyPotato posted:

At this point, so many people tied directly to the Avengers know (or may know, since we don't know if the TAHITI project was in the SHIELD files Natasha dumped) that it would be reaaaaally strange for that plot thread to go unresolved in the next film.

Not really. They are going to be way too busy with Ultron to give a poo poo about Coulson. Outside of Nick Fury showing up I don't think there's any reason to believe SHIELD will even be mentioned in the film.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wasn't quite feeling the first episode, but that loving fight in episode 2 :aaaaa:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

I'm also gonna chime in and say that D'onofrio makes an excellent Fisk. Even without being quite as massive as comics Fisk he still seems to project a larger than life stature. He also possesses the kind of quietly menacing presence that makes him feel like an extremely dangerous individual. He actually reminds me of Gus in Breaking Bad a little bit, minus the kindly restauranteur act.

I unambiguously love him in the role, but it is a totally different take on the character than I was expecting, because I don't really find him menacing at all, even after *that* scene. He's really goony and openly insecure, it never feels like he's in any kind of control whatsoever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

It is always when someone else does stuff, not when Matt fights another pack of thugs or tortures a guy - with him it suddenly becomes clean and fancy.

loving what? Did you miss all the broken bones and the part where he loving stabs a guy in the eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can get behind the opinion that Matt is kind of the weakest character on the show, mostly because his motivations are constantly stated rather than shown. I don't get the sense he really believes his own convictions, but maybe that's the point? They also do not do much with his lawyer persona, at least so far, I still have like 4 episodes to go.