Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Well to reiterate, his greatest weakness is that he's a lovely person always focused on the wrong goal. In the mini series he's focused on trying to become a crime boss. In the above issue he's trying to embarrass the WCA and, I poo poo you not, set up a floating island where he can keep Tigra as a sex slave. Again, this is a dude who controls GRAVITY. When he brags all the time about having god like powers, he's not making GBS threads you. He really is that powerful. He just can't control himself, so he's a joke.

The best Graviton Moments, like the best moments for many characters, is in Thunderbolts. Evil Psychologist Moonstone is basically pressganged into being Graviton's shrink, and finally after simmering as a subplot for a couple issues while the Thunderbolts are off being excellently written elsewhere, Moonstone finally has a breakthrough with Graviton about how petty he is.

The next issue is Moonstone and the Thunderbolts finding out that Graviton decided to turn part of California into a floating island with his face on it and give the power of flight to basically a group of mallrats. The man is just built pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yes, exactly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You're right, if only there was a supervillain who was more than just a dumbfuck in a costume. Oh woe, where is a villain with actual depth in the Marvel Universe.

Graviton isn't a moron. He's small minded. He's petty. He doesn't always think things through and he constantly underestimates his potential. He's what a regular dude would be with superpowers. If anything, Marvel suffers from having a glut of super villains who stand as A Superhero But Over The Line.

Graviton is a tragedy, because he is among the strongest people on the planet but is so self defeating he commits only base ego-powered supervillainy. It's not him going adoyhadoydoy time to get my face punched, it's every human being alive who could be something but is weighted down by their own issues. Calling him a moron is honestly an insult to the character.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 16, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
poo poo, I got the order backwards.

Anyway, everyone should read Thunderbolts because the length and quality are mind blowing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Pretty sure in Geoff Johns JSA that was a thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It could work. Like, there's no reason for him not to be Asian American.

It'd be better if Daredevil was though. Russo swerve!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TwoPair posted:

Emeril Lagasse as Bullseye. BAM

Guy Fieri as Stilt-Man

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
When you realize that the films were written and directed to be a pisstake on the franchise you gain some appreciation for the writing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ripping off Kirkman would be one way of ending a season, yeah.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Except Superman. For some reason Ennis just digs Superman.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I don't see how, that monologue is about the same thing. While you're a child (snow crash points out that all men below the age of 25 or so want to be the baddest motherfucker) the capacity for instant and excessive violence is the dream. Then you grow up and realize violence gets you nothing in and of itself.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think a lot of conversations that Raven has later in the book give pay to the idea that being the biggest badass is at the end of the day useless in and of itself, but it really doesn't have much to do with Preacher on TV so I'll drop it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The last season when the budget ran dry was dire, but I agree. The 90's X-men was worth it for the musical stings alone.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
To be fair, it wouldn't be the first time DC said a bald-faced lie in order to show how different they are from Marvel.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Would have been if Green Lantern didn't crater in theaters.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Hulk was better than fans deserved.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Make Gordan The Grey Ghost, let's go coconuts with it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They will also constantly mispronounce his name and it will drive me bugshit insane for no good reason.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There's like two Batman villains in Arrow, everybody else is in the GA wheelhouse.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'd give Firefly to Bats, but most of the baddies are generic DC dudes with ties to Green Arrow.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Strangely enough turning Elixir into two characters just makes two terrible characters instead of one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Not to mention more Kord Industries!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm still hoping for Booster to be a Kord Industries sponsored publicity stunt turned actual hero.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The old Flash TV show was pretty trend-setting for the effects use, and if it had come out 5 years later it probably would have gone another two seasons. The show was popular but the computer effects killed their budget.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Basically the first Deadshot episode is where the show finally finds its stride, partially because it shows just how comicbook Arrow is willing to go and partially because Ollie's supporting cast starts becoming solid.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah, he brings her Deadshot's laptop to get the memory off it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wonder what Diggle's callsign is, if he gets one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm secretly hoping for Arsenal because all of Ollie's sidekicks need names Roy Harper used to use.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Thea's Speedy, dude.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Redheads. Nightwing's greatest weekend is redheads.

I don't know if that's a typo or not.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
MazingerLok.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Really, they should just say gently caress it and turn Agents into Joss Whedon's Marvel Sentai. The Helicarrier can turn into a guy in a rubber suit and box Fin Fang Foom.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bring Red Ronin into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, that's what I say.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If Ron Perlman spent 6 hours a day in 1989 to be a lion in a soap opera you would think making a dude look like a robot for the foundation of the TV branch of a multi-billion dollar franchise in the year of our lord 2014 wouldn't be out of the question.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Dark Avengers talking about how loving hard it is to hero all the time and wondering if they get vacation days is one of the greatest moments in comics, but there's no way to transfer that to AoS.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That's not sentai, that's Pokemon.

It looks like the better kind of ridiculous, too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

boom boom boom posted:

I will never understand how the Tv show that's a faithful adaptation of a very popular best-selling book series spawned a fandom so psychotic about avoiding spoilers

I see you haven't tried reading one of the books.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Teen. I'm man enough to admit that it bugged the poo poo out of me when the film first came out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I really hope that, like in the 90's Flash show, Barry needs to constantly stuff his face to make up for the calorie burn of moving so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Medullah posted:

Now, if you mean Jack Huston, let's just slap a target on Richard Harrow's head!

Harrow was already basically Bullseye Noir.