Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Error 404 posted:

I thought the Kingpin in the Daredevil movie was the only good part of that movie, I hope they do something like that again.
Its a drat shame MCD is dead, I would have loved if he returned to do the role :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gavok posted:

Amy Bouzaglo of Amy's Baking Company as Typhoid Mary.
Sucks Deadpool is stuck with Fox because that Kelly story involving him, Mary, and Daredevil was pretty good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, it's worth remembering that EMH had a 52 episode run which for a lot of people is the magic number for ending a children's cartoon. Batman Beyond, Justice League before its rebranding, X-men: Evolution, and a lot of other shows have followed that rule. Hell, if Spectacular Spider-Man had been allowed to continue, Weisman had no illusions of going past a fourth season. There are exceptions, both The Batman and Brave and the Bold went to 65, and then you run into something like Advenutre Time that'll probably go as long as there is money to milk. Hell, Samurai Jack famously lacked an actual ending because it assumed it might be allowed to live beyond 52.

Still, 52 is a healthy run. They had a new direction even if that new direction sucks. I don't think anyone considered they were committing some atrocity.
Isn't the 52 rule because by then the show starts getting too expensive to make a profit or some BS?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

The kids that apparently were not watching the cartoon or at least not buying the toys? Those are the kids they are going to spend millions on trying to court with the new show?
They gave it such a stupid timeslot, that show, Green Lantern TAS, and Symbiotic Titan seemed like they would have done much better if they were on at like 7-8 on a Monday. Then again Cartoon Network also decided to gently caress over Samurai Jack and Justice League Unlimited so not surprising.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Young Justice bit just feels very calculated to me, like they realized their cartoon wasn't selling toys, so... they create a show more marketable to teens and adults! But I don't see how they can make it work as a live action show, particularly with Superboy and Miss Martian, double particularly on the budget DC shows seem to get.
And really wasn't Young Justice doing better with the teen demo even with its Saturday Morning timeslot? Though it could have been CN being stubborn and going, "drat it this show is meant for kids and they aren't buying our lovely toys!!!"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I maintain that Sym-Bionic Titan deserved to fail for having a combining robot that was impossible to make a toy out of.
It had an episode that was a better adaptation of Enders Game than the actual Enders Game movie. Plus that show got brutal and horrifying as gently caress at times.

I mean one episode looked like it was out of a Croenberg movie! :stonk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

And the whole 'no tights, no flights' was the biggest anvil around Smallville's neck after like season 3. At some point, they needed to bite the bullet, and either the showrunners, Welling or a combination of the two, wouldn't take the leap.
Can someone explain to me the reasoning for this as someone who did not watch Smallville?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The Aquaman stuff was because they were planning a spin off and they actually made a pilot for it but it didn't get picked up.
And isn't that why he disappeared from DCAU, much like a lot of things because apparently audiences are stupid

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh so they have decided against recasting Agent Carter. That's nice of them. When the series was first announced like a year ago, before AoS debuted, there was a rumor that Hayley Atwell wasn't going to be in it, which was weird because she had just done the short film and it didn't seem like she would be too busy to get her own primetime television series.
They better not recast Dum Dum either, Neil Mcdonough was perfect for that role

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

redbackground posted:

If by "shortly", you mean four years later, then yes! :)

Also, Batman, Superman, and MM show up again at The Wake, which is always a fun aside.
At least MM eventually got that feeling that someone was portraying him. Or whatever that aside was.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Now he'll just have dreams of the actor playing himself going intangible and screaming and falling unconscious

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dacap posted:

Harlem in The Incredible Hulk was Toronto
Pittsburgh is also getting popular to film big movies here because of its relatively cheapiness.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

There had been various attempts at other acronyms throughout the years but SWORD was Whedon because hurrr SHIELD and SWORD and then from that came everybody else's attempts with HAMMER and ARMOR and then the more joke versions of HATE and GRAMPA.
Whenever I hear about Marvel's HAMMER I feel disappointed when it did not in fact have an overly expensive gigantic robot to fight monsters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

greatn posted:

So Shield was actually good with good plot moving along and a neat twist. Still a couple of incredibly dumb things(mainly that the villain could control men with voice, they knew this, and went in with zero countermeasures, and then didn't shoot her on sight).
And at the end they revealed that Loki is using the Asgardians to get former criminals in his army

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

This week's AoS had Deathlock again and while he looked like the picture in the thread they also showed him through backscatter X-rays where he looked like the comic version.
Was a good episode too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Comfortador posted:

Anyone have any screenshots?
From the Agent's of Shield thread

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

I don't know why TV episodes have covers now, but at least they're not half-assing it.

Trying to go for the BTAS episode title shots?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok, haven't seen it yet, but I am just imaging that he's Dum Dum Dugan's grandkid.
Nah Dum Dum Dugan's grandkid is just going to be Neil Mcdonough again and nothing will be different.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gavok posted:

I'm loving how Agents of SHIELD has become an exercise of hinting that they're going to go with the blatant redemption arc for Ward, only to smack it out of your hand and go, "NOPE!"

"Look, Garrett told Ward to kill his dog years ago and he instead scared the dog away with a warning shot! He's not such a bad guy after-- haha, just kidding. He shot the dog after that. He's a loving rear end in a top hat."
He has to kill things from far away where he can't feel as bad

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gavok posted:

It made strangling Patton Oswalt to death really difficult.
I know you are joking, but I meant more in people/things that he kind of cares about.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Timothy Hunter, Doctor Occult, Mr E, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Dr Fate ...

I'll be disappointed if Swamp Thing doesn't at least get namechecked, for old times sake. :colbert:
gently caress have Morpheus show up

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The Agents of Shield finale really did redeem a lot of the stupid bullshit in the first half and make sitting through all of it worth it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Teek posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this. Having Mr. Skye be all bloody/oozy certainly seems to point the writers having something in mind for him. It's hard to backtrack on that and try to say something else was going on there later. "He's totally character _____, he just had a REALLY bad nosebleed back in the season 1 finale, pay it no more mind."
I thought he was all bloody/oozy because he's eating a person

I think they didn't to get into the specifics of who the blue alien was until GOTG aired so when they go back into Season 2 the audience will understand what a Kree is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SaintFu posted:

TV Guide had a tiny thing about AoS:
I don't know Taskmaster? :downs:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Madkal posted:

Surround sound....of Nickelback?
Hey man they ain't Pol Pot!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

She'll fit right in with Agents of SHIELD then.
You know there were a lot of problems with the first season, but really most of the cast was okay to good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I dunno. I agree it took too long, but it woulda been better if say, a month of building the team and shield before everything goes to poo poo.
I think its a better show when you can binge through all that poo poo rather than wait week after week and break after break.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I could see him guest starring in a couple of episodes. Also going to have kind of a downer of an ending because you know no matter what they fail to stop Hydra infiltration of SHIELD.
I hope Dum Dum shows up in Agents of Shield because doesn't end up as a robot in the comics?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

With Teen Titans being its own thing and Dick being the leader, my fear is that the well for Arrow villains will dry up, assuming Warner sticks to its previous policies. That's why I kind of wanted them to be in the same universe, because then it wouldn't matter and there would not be much of a reason villains couldn't bounce back and forth if they were running low on usable characters. The alternative, as I mentioned before, is having multiple versions of the same characters, which we simply do not know if WB will allow yet, since nothing has actually happened and no one has been cast, etc.
Oh god the infamous Bat/Aquaman Embargo was the worst (though at least the DCAU guys were smart enough to make good tv with the restrictions)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Klungar posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but the wife and I just finished our marathon of JL/JLU, and are looking for our next animated superhero fix. What are some other good shows, DCAU or otherwise?
Superman TAS which was way more consistently good compared to Batman TAS.

Also Green Lantern TAS if you can get over the CGI style

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Apocalypse's dialog in that cartoon was pretty unrivaled. I still feel like his voice is the definitive Apocalypse voice for me. Everything else about that cartoon was hilariously bad though.
Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

redbackground posted:

Agents at least had the delightful Clark Gregg to numb the pain.
Also Patton Oswalt which means I can't totally hate the show. Though I actually liked the show for Season 1, it had a rough beginning, but I bet it is much easier to watch knowing what happens in the end + not waiting week or weeks for each episode.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Deep down I suspect every television executive wants all dramas to be episodic procedurals that viewers can drop in and out of at the drop of a hat and not feel like they have to catch up on a massive backstory in order to do so.
Which is what Jeph Loeb did with Marvel cartoons, but I doubt he was the only one behind that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Where's the hat :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Also Agents of Shield probably had their best episode yet, man Tuesdays are so great now that I can watch two good superhero shows.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The British guy is great because of the banter with Bobbi.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Never watched SHIELD before, tell me what episode I need to watch to "get" it.
Someone had a list of the episodes you should watch and skip Season 1; Season 2 has been really fun TV without a really boring episode.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Madkal posted:

Harvey "I am a hero" Dent will be on tonight's episode of Gotham. Let's have a drink for every time the words "two" and "face" come up in conversation.
They'll be in a museum where there will be a shot of Harvey and behind him is a facade of Janus

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't see what's so bad about the Fury Road trailer. None of the Mad Max films were masterpieces, so I am not sure why people are tearing the new one apart, unless they've always hated every Mad Max movie. I mean, yeah the inclusion and focus on "pretty women in peril" is kind of dumb but everything else looks pretty awesome as far as action movies go. Not really sure what it is being compared against.
The Mad Max movies are one of the reasons the Fallout games exist so they are good by default :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Lucifer is played by Ray Wise.
Nah we got to get David Bowie for this or a shapeshifter who pretends to be David Bowie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dacap posted:

Mark Guggenheim says that Deadshot was killed of because WB had told them he's of the table for them to use on Arrow with the Suicide Squad movie coming up. I imagine the same could happen for Deathstroke and Captain Boomerang soon too

I wonder how badly Flash will be impacted if they do stuff like this when that movie is gearing up considering they've run through so much of his rogues gallery in just the first season so far.
Good to see how little DC TV shows have changed since the days of screwing over JLU because they wanted to do something with Smallville or whatever. Because you see people are too stupid to understand that there are different continuities with shows and movies and cartoons.