Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They don't have to do it in the same style, just because it all takes place in the same universe.

Asides from the occasional crossover, the different Marvel storylines rarely interfere with each other, simply because they take place on such different levels. That goes even double for the MCU. Cap is a government agent, same goes for Shield, Thor mostly handles problems in the nine worlds and Tony Stark fights international arms dealers, so none of them really operates on a street level.

If you have a world were superpowers become much more common as time goes on, like the MCU, then eventually they will bleed into street crime, simply because they have become an every day occurrence. That also explain why Shield or the Avengers don't take care of them, because the level for their intervention raises over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

irlZaphod posted:

The thing I don't get is why does Agents of SHIELD need 2 "comic relief scientist with exotic accent" characters?

One for the men, one for the women. Seriously, Aos has one of the most focus-grouped castings I have ever seen. Some executives got together in a room and tried to assemble a group with was maximum demographic appeal.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is the series were Jesus descendants are a bunch of inbreed retards, no way they are leaving that in.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Green Hornet had a similar problem to the Lone Ranger, you really had the feeling that they were somewhat embarrassed by their source material.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

greatn posted:

How could they possibly be embarrassed by the source material? It's loving awesome. You got this newspaper publisher exposing city wide corruption by day and posing as a criminal to gently caress up their schemes by night. He's a suave motherfucker with a bodyguard on retainer, and his butler is a mechanical genius who also knows karate.

You don't have to tell me, I like pulp heroes as much as the next guy, but just compare the Green Hornet to the 90' Shadow movie. The later had an immortal Gengis Khan and it still took itself more serious than the Green Hornet, that was pretty much winking so hard at the camera you feared Seth Rogens eyes would fall out.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Timeless Appeal posted:

This isn't really happened either. What happened was that Spectacular aired at the tail end of Kids WB's life. After its first season, it was left without a home. By the time that it started airing on Disney XD it was pretty much shutdown, but not cancelled which was never a good sign. Basically, the whole production would have to rebooted and would have been if it was successful on XD. I mean, yes, the rights stuff is true, but the show was dead before season 2 aired.

I thought it was that, and that Loeb is of the opinion that arc shows are somehow really bad and confuse people and that stand alone is much better.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Morand posted:

That said, tossing wonder woman into the superman movie just seems odd. So in the enxt movie you have to introduce lex, wonder woman, the new batman, and whatever else. It's going to be convoluted as gently caress and really not a superman movie.

At this point, DC and WB are probably pretty desperate. They see Marvel/Disney getting one hit after another while they get mediocre result at nest, unless its Batman. You can bet that originally, MoS 2 had neither Batman nor any other Superhero in its story, but since the movie wasn't Ironman, they, yet again, don't have a basis to launch their own shared universe.

Seriously, the universe idea was a pretty big gamble by Marvel, but since it worked out, it's absolutely genius, because it basically let's them introduce any property without to much trouble, because the foundation is already there. At the same time, the different movies stand well enough on their own that you don't have to see them all to understand them. Kind of reminds me of the "Do you want to know more" system from Starship Trooper. "Do you want to know more about these nordic gods that left a powerful artifact for the Nazis? Watch Thor". Thinking about it, that might be the problem of AoS.

WB on the other hand has nothing and they don't have the successful movie to attach the less well know heroes to ( I doubt that Thor would have had the same success if it wasn't attached to the Avenger idea. I like the movie, but without the Superhero tie-in, it's basically just another "epic" fantasy movie they keep pumping out every year since LotR). They gave the director of their biggest success free hand and in return, he made his hero as unsuited for a broader heroic universe as possible. Nolan's Batman would work better in an Expendables sequel than a Justice League movie.

Bottom line, they're kind of out of option. Marvel will continue to churn out superhero movies for every property they own, until the market is saturated and the interested declines, while WB struggles to get people to watch a movie that doesn't include the two biggest superheroes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
While I wouldn't necessarily agree whit you on the dullness, I guess you can definitely say that season two upped the ante and streamlined the story, meaning that it became a lot less soap opera like and a lot more superhero show. They move at an incredible pace and generally resolve plot points two episodes after they been introduced to move along with the story.

Seriously, if you don't mind spoiler, just watch the mid season final that just aired.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Lurdiak posted:

What? Is this a thing?

I don't live in the US, so all its conventions and practices are kind of alien to me, but everybody else called it that and I needed a term for "last episode before holiday season break". No idea if it is an actual concept people use, but several series that wont air between now and the new year had some kind of mini climax in its story arc, or at least a pretty major cliffhanger.

And yeah, Arrow in its second season basically decided to go full comic book.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The conservative hero who normally oppose him in terms of political views is Hawk Man, though I have no idea which version, but I think it's the alien police officer. And even he is generally portrait as simply a political hardliner with old school rightwing opinions.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Pretty sure that were Green Lantern and Green Arrow during the Bronze Age.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, you can skip the first season just fine. Yes, it's pretty good but if your interest lies with the second season, you are not going to miss much.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

jscolon2.0 posted:

This is awful advice. A lot of things in the second season are payoffs to things in the first. And while the pace has accelerated, even the worst parts of season 1 are over pretty quickly.

Bullshit, if a guy says that he doesn't much like season 1 and feels that he got the important stuff from the recap, there is no reason to say he has to watch it. That is bad advice, because you basically say he has to watch something he clearly doesn't enjoy. You can the second season just fine without knowing the ins and outs of the first.

Nobody says you shouldn't watch the first season, or that the first season isn't good, but it is definitely possible to just start with the second season.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 21, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, after SHIELD I should be cautious, but this actually sounds really cool. Since the MCU isn't using a much of Marvel's WWII stuff, maybe that means they are at greater liberty to actually use the already established lore instead of making up their, less interesting version.

Give me Agent Carter, leading the Howling Commandos and the Invaders.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Lurdiak posted:

It's so hard to believe a superhero/sci fi show would actually go to the trouble of making something cool and inhuman look cool and inhuman. There's so many examples in the last 15 years of people putting an attractive 20-something in a black form-fitting athletic suit and saying they're a robot, alien or superhero.

It's all marketing, all the time.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I always considered the Flash's costume to be by far the hardest to adept to a movie/series, mostly because it would always look to close to a scuba suit to actually work, so consider my deeply impressed. drat!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Especially with all the smoke around him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Argue posted:

I want a show which is about Bruce running Wayne Enterprises, making dealings with LexCorp and Queen Consolidated, helping Gotham back to its feet, dealing with politics and corruption, etc. The existence of Batman and supervillains would be acknowledged but the show would make no effort to imply that Bruce has a double life as Batman at all. The closest he'll come to fighting supervillains would be fighting against the League of Assassins' attempts to destroy Gotham through their new weapon, "economics".

No joke, this sounds absolutely amazing.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but when (episode-wise) does Captain America 2 fit in to Agents of Shield? Haven't seen either yet, and I'd prefer to avoid spoilers.

This week is basically a lead in into the events of TWS (i.e. a character gets reassigned to a location where he will be in the movie) and next week's episode is going to deal with the aftermath of the events of TWS, and it will probably be a hell of a lot better than the Thor 2 episode.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dacap posted:

I disagree. That faceplate is kind of the defining physical characteristic of the character, it just doesn't seem right without it.

Oh come on, let's not pretend Deathlok is some high profile character, fans longed for years to see in live action. The preview pictures were disappointing because they looked cheap, not because they didn't adhere to the comic book look.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

LorneReams posted:

As someone who only has a passing familiarity with the comics, is all this leading to the civil war stuff, or is this going in another direction?

Nah, Shield didn't really play a big role in Civil War, asides from Iron Man being the director at that time. Shield is generally not really a big factor in the comics, asides from being a pain in the rear end for the heroes and a convenient explanation for the day-to-day administration stuff.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly Dark Reign was a pretty great idea, but pretty much like all Marvel events, it was pretty lackluster in its execution. Well, at least we got a pretty great Ares mini out of it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Well, all the different strike teams and rogue agents are probably still around, so maybe we spend the rest of the season hunting those down. A continuous threat instead of a nebulous organization without clear agenda or the occasional teasing about a super villain would make for a pretty tense episodes.

Not to mention there are still the other factions of Hydra. Seriously, if we are lucky they actually do what they should have done in the first place and pit them against one of the large evil organizations of the MU.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 6, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah not convinced they're cutting bait with Ward since he never uttered a "Hail Hydra," shooting a couple innocent people in the head can be explained away by mind control and the like but you really can't bring a character back from uttering a Nazi salute.

Ok, again for dummies. If he said something like Hail Hydra, it would imply that he was one of the sleeper agent they had in the Shield, so on their side all along. He didn't so it could be that he just switched side in that moment, out of loyalty or something like that. And since he might just switched site in that moment, he maybe is just trying to set up some deep cover mission, either on his own or due to some secret orders by Hand.

I thought it was TVIV who didn't undertand basic plot points.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If you seriously consider that the tv series might not use the character due to the negative connotation in the comics, you vastly overestimate how many people read and care about comics nowadays. Not saying the character will be in the show, but if he isn't, it wont because of a decade old storyline.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Plus, since they tie into the MCU, you can bet they promote the hell out of it.

edit: I mean, promoting it in the light that it is also part of the shared experience.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 9, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah that looks like a surprisingly decent Supernatural meets Elementary, which is probably the exact right tone to take.

I wonder how much of the original satire will be updated for 2016 Obama's America such as Goldman Sachs demons with baby skin lampshades?

Absolutely none at all?

Seriously,I am pretty surprised by the positive reaction, I thought it looked bland as hell, alright for a 2010 fantasy tv series, but pretty bad for a Constantine adaption. I think what we will get will be nothing like the comic, just the couple of nods here and there to stuff that appeared, but the tone seems to be completely different.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BrianWilly posted:

There's more than one pronunciation of Constantine? :confused: It's a normal human name, kind of uncommon, but not some made up fantasy word.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BrianWilly posted:

The one thing I am concerned about -- and this is seriously just the one thing because I liked everything else -- is the whole Iris relationship. It just seems ripe for a retread of the whole wangsty CWness that plagued Arrow's first season. Like, did they seriously put her with Barry's potential nemesis? Really? And the whole "promise you won't tell Iris your secret" thing with her dad? Holy poo poo, I know this is a comic book story and god bless it for that, but let's not go overboard with these overdone beats.

Let's hope the take a page out of Arrows playbook and finish that storyline by episode three or so.

Also, I am pretty sure we go with post-crisis Zoom here, simply because it maked for a better storyline than used 'is a dick' as motivation.

e X fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 27, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

muscles like this? posted:

Also it was just announced that they lost the smoking battle and John will not be smoking on air.

By now, this policy really has lost all its basis and rationality.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

404GoonNotFound posted:

Does anyone actually like this character?
Honest question, I have no drat idea why DC decides to trot them out once a decade or so.

I am a sucker for the Outsiders, so yes. But int his case, I guess we see so many Martial Arts heroes and villains because they are just a whole lot cheaper to put on screen.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

Oh boy here's how they are going to do the Joker on Gotham

As a lover of endless and baseless pan-internet speculation, I am obviously hype as gently caress for this.

Wow, that is the first legitimately clever idea they came up with. It's actually kind of brilliant.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

feedmyleg posted:

I would kill for a live action Spider-Man show that played up how hard everyday life would be to be a teenaged superhero and toned down the over-the-top cinematic web slinging.

You mean like the Lois and Clark show, where we jsut ever only saw him leaving the frame in a blur?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

feedmyleg posted:

:(

e: I did specify well written...

Plus, unlike Superman, Spiderman-man is basically designed for this kind of low action approach.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder if they refilmed any of the pilot to give the former female lead's story some closure.

Former female lead?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have the feeling we have someone with this reaction every couple of pages. It's true though, the show definitively improves once they decided to deal back the sitcom crap. It still has some slipups down the road, mostly with stuff dealing with Thea.

And yes, season two is a ride, back to front. One of the greatest things about the show is that they don't really dwell on things. If a plot point gets introduced and you don't like it, you can count on it being resolved within the next to episodes.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 2, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Plus, Shield needed a major movie tie-in to be interesting.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
As öong as they have Captain Bumerang and paly him completly straight I am happy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

She's got the same kind of far apart alien eyes that the girl they got playing Selina Kyle in Gotham has.

BTW this is NOT a picture of D'Onfrio as Kingpin this is just him at an event.

Holy poo poo, they don't have to change anything, that looks already like the Kingpin attending some social event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
With all the TWS backstory, doesn't that mean that Zola also has to show up?