Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Soonmot posted:

In response the SHIELD ep3 having created an original villain:

Hall is the Avenger villain Graviton. I don't know if his comic origin was the same, but he isn't original. I also enjoyed the show.

As the reigning West Coast Avengers expert in BSS or maybe anywhere, I'll chime in:

No, it's not.

That said, the ending of the episode ties in pretty close to the origin in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. In EMH, Hall has been kept in a permanent comatose state because he's too powerful to have conscious, but they can't kill him either. So he's hidden away and the proverbial key is thrown away, it's one of no doubt a million of Fury's dirty little secrets. When the poo poo keeping him under fails he wakes up and realizes he's lost the past 10 years of his life and he is loving PISSED. The end of the episode sets up a similar thing, but with Coulson hiding him instead of Fury.

The origin for Graviton in the comics is a little less dignified. Frank Hall is a lovely scientist who accidentally gets powers. However, given that he's such a lovely, petty person his immediate reaction is to use them to gently caress with people who he feels have slighted him. Graviton is arguably one of the most powerful beings on the planet, but because he's such an egotistic, small minded person he routinely gets foiled by the West Coast Avengers. The roster that stops him is Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Tigra, Wonder Man, and either Drunk Iron Man or Rhodey Iron Man.

Here's his origin as explained by him, West Coast Avengers #13

And this image sums up both Graviton and Tigra nicely:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Gaz-L posted:

The EMH premiere with him is still one of my favourite moments from that show. He increases gravity to the point where none of the Avengers can get off the ground, not even Thor.

Then Hulk starts to get up. So Graviton redoubles the force he's putting on them.

Then Hulk starts to get up.

It does raise the question in the SHIELD series of if he's too powerful to actually bring back, short of having Hemsworth or someone doing a sweeps week guest shot.

Well to reiterate, his greatest weakness is that he's a lovely person always focused on the wrong goal. In the mini series he's focused on trying to become a crime boss. In the above issue he's trying to embarrass the WCA and, I poo poo you not, set up a floating island where he can keep Tigra as a sex slave. Again, this is a dude who controls GRAVITY. When he brags all the time about having god like powers, he's not making GBS threads you. He really is that powerful. He just can't control himself, so he's a joke.

I can see in the show him coming out and being absurdly powerful, but because he's so focused on loving with Coulson and getting revenge he ultimately allows himself to get beat by the regular crew. It would fit with the character and also make the team look legitimate. Ordinary people taking on an extraordinary menace and finding a way to win.