Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, Arrow is a show about a superhero, where Agents of SHIELD is a procedural show that happens to take place in a world with superheroes. It's okay to be disappointed that it doesn't have more comic jazz in it, but the show is trying to do its own thing. It essentially has zero SHIELD agents from the comics outside of Fury and Hill cameos (Coulson has made the jump from movies to comics, but that's different), so I went in expecting the comics material would be sparse. It's really an apples / oranges comparison because they're coming at their comics material from entirely different angles.

The problem people are having is that there is not really any valid explanation for why the comic material SHOULD be sparse and that the show so far seems to be going out of its way to avoid comic material, such as refusing to just admit that the secret big bad guys this season are either AIM, Hydra, or both. We've been introduced to both organizations in the movies already, so it is kind of stupid that they are avoiding using them so far, while dangling this "where is this mysterious supertech coming from, who could possibly be behind this?!" plot thread in front of the viewers in almost every episode aside from the Graviton one (which quickly defused AIM speculation by introducing a character who does not seem to be affiliated with AIM or Hydra as the source for THAT episode's super science funding group.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cap would have been top secret. Thor would have been a bit harder to explain, but Hulk should be impossible since the attack on the campus had eyewitness reports on the news and was followed by two big monster men fighting through out Harlem, which for non-New Yorkers is a heavily populated area of northern Manhattan. Also Iron Man was a public figure before Avengers, and he had a huge robot war in Queens (Iron Man 2).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

I just don't get how you cover up the end of Avengers.

Multiple! giant dragon monster things flew around New York out of a multi-mile long portal in the sky and the film ended with media footage of people showing survivors and footage of wreckage.

Not only that, but there is a CNN clip of a congressman or senator talking about super powered vigilantes or some such thing during that montage, so that is official government acknowledgement of the event. If the show is really going to try to play off that everything has been covered up, that is some horrible bullshit.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The most disappointing thing about the show is the fact that the show isn't the slightest bit interested in portraying a post alien invasion world. Shield doesn't seem to be operating much different than it was prior to Avengers. The Marvel elements almost seem grafted onto the show after the fact, as if Whedon had some similar idea in his back pocket and adapted it into the Marvel universe after he got the job on Avengers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah but during the Avengers, Shield found itself under direct attack twice and basically got its rear end kicked twice. Considering the subplot in Avengers was Shield trying to arm itself with HYDRA tech, it's kind of boring that they decided to make a show about a rag tag group of misfit agents who go around and occasionally do a thing, with no real reference or establishment of the repercussions of an alien invasion that nearly destroyed half of Manhattan in broad day light. Iron Man 3 didn't really cover this as well, and it isn't looking like Thor 2 nor Cap. America 2 will focus too much on this either. Think about how much the world changed after 9/11. Now compare it to what happened in Avengers. Now look at what AoS has shown as far as repercussions of invasion.

The show could have been the perfect avenue to focus on Shield itself, with a secondary light put on regular people, of whom Skye could have been a great surrogate but instead its so far been content with being a some what generic, though entertaining, sci-fi super spy show with Marvel stuff pasted on it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, there's a short film on the Avengers DVD about a couple of petty thieves who managed to hold onto and reactivate a Chitauri gun and who are using it to rob banks.

I'm an episode behind, but I distinctly remember the motivation of several antagonists being something along the lines of "It's a new world now. We can't trust SHIELD." That's why the Peruvian lady backstabbed Coulson in the second episode.

Nobody trusted Shield in any of the Marvel films so far either, so that is not really indicative of anything. An example of my point is the fact that outside of Coulson, who basically died via impalement on an alien spear, via a godlike being, no one seems to have any real issue or trauma with what happened in NYC. Again, think about how many people had their world turned upside down by 9/11, and now realize that no one on the team, most of whom were in Shield when this happened, seem to have any issue with the fact that we were invaded by aliens and a bunch of people died. They have literally returned to just globe trotting around looking up suspicious things and people, which is what they have been doing since the first Marvel film.

Even Skye, who is a normal person, is no where near as phased by any of this as she probably should be. She's apparently just as concerned with (spoilered because you are behind) finding out what happened to her parents as she is about "getting the truth out there" or whatever.

I dunno. The show isn't awful by any stretch. It's miles ahead of Smallville, but dammit if so far it doesn't feel like its wasting its potential.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Huh, maybe this means we might actually see SWORD sooner or later?

Considering Marvel is opening up the door to space next year, I would bank on it happening in some form or another. If AoS were more popular, I could even see a spin off involving SWORD.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Considering the events of AoS have seemingly little to nothing to do with what we are going to see in the next phase of films, I would say that is pretty indicative of how little a show set in the MCU can be involved in its trappings.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I hope that they used AoS as the jumping off point for the Netflix shows, even if its "Wow Luke Cage and Iron Fist, that was really handy how to beat up those Maggia thugs, I can't want to see what adventures you'll be having in the future!" type thing.

That would be the smartest thing to do but I don't really have any faith in that happening. The fact that all of these characters are going to exist in a TV capacity, instead of a movie capacity, should absolutely mean that they appear on AOS proper, but I can see Disney loving it up and refusing to let different foods touch on their plate.

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean, as someone who watches a lot of TV shows, SHIELD ranks pretty low. The acting isn't great, the plotting feels almost irrelevant, the quippy dialogue grates sometimes. I don't think it's a bad show by any means, but it feels very early 2000s in tone and style, before networks realized that they didn't have to settle for cheap-looking monster of the week shows.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I'm wondering what people see in May. I like Ming-Na, and I keep waiting for her to do something, but she just stands around looking sullen and talking about how her past is dark and mysterious.

Agree about May. Right now she is the weakest by a million miles. She is so cliched that most of her screen time has gotten almost painful to watch. This reached a new peak with yesterday's episode (which was actually quite good!)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Because they have such a poor track record with cross overs so far...

Between the films and the TV series, yeah, so I can see them being a lot weaker on the TV front when it comes to coordinating these kinds of things. And I am not talking about getting the Avengers on TV, I'm talking in general. It's mostly been freak of the week plots and macguffins that have little to do with anything. They've also actively gone out of their way to avoid using AIM or Hydra, in two plots where they could have (though one is still unresolved so we'll see). Next week is looking like it will at least loosely tie in to the films in some way that may not be completely superficial.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The last episode featured a sonic weapon from 1960s SHIELD/HYDRA comics, Victoria Hand, a mention of the Triskelion and Agent Sitwell from the Thor and Avengers films.

That's why I said mostly and not completely? :( Extremis and a Chitauri helmet were also featured on the show... My point is that everything on the show has been very isolated from the films, going so far as to avoid referencing two major villain organizations during plotlines when they easily could have. They also spend practically no time addressing the massive alien invasion that led to a destructive battle across the bottom half of Manhattan.

That's why it is very possible for me that Disney could have a bunch of shows set in NYC that basically never overlap with AoS. Because AoS has so far only superficially overlapped the movies as it is, and those events were pretty significant.

Example, they have name dropped Widow and Hawkeye a few times, and playfully name dropped Captain America, but the fact remains that they are active duty agents and are literally the best agents they have. So why not develop on that? This isn't Shield's starting squad. They're C-listers. D-listers even. But the show is insisting to me that Ward and May are totally comparable to Widow and Hawkeye, without really explaining how that could be possible. We can't have them on the show, so don't draw such a favorable comparison. Only name dropping them when using them as a measuring stick is really lazy to me.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 14, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I will be shocked if this show doesn't have huge amounts of its more offensive materials heavily watered down.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sony is allegedly planning TWO more ASM related movies/sequels (not counting ASM2) so while they may be scaling back their normal film development, they are certainly expanding their Spider-Man movie brand.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But... They don't own the TV rights to Spider-Man, I thought?

So confused...

Marvel regained TV rights to all their characters, but they are basically only using them for cartoons, not counting anything that is specifically involved in the Movie Universe they have going. They cancelled the wonderful Spider-Man cartoon that they didn't create to put on the horrible one they have now. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That's not how it went down.

Why did they cancel Spectacular then? :( I was under the impression that Disney did not own that show fully, prompting its cancellation after Disney got the rights to make a Spider-Man show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So what was the exact reasoning for cancelling Earth's Mightiest Heroes? I remember them doing a format change between seasons because of the "kids don't follow story arcs!" nonsense, but it really felt like they rushed through the last season and then murdered it for the garbage we have now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, execs worrying about multi-episode story arcs when popular poo poo like Naruto and Bleach have arcs that last for dozens of episodes is amusing.

And Dragonball Z and Gundam before those. They basically ignored popular shows both domestic and international when they pulled that analysis out of their asses.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Its funny, cartoons made to sell toys ALWAYS had multi part stories in them. GI Joe for example had at least 4 of them.

I only just saw an episode of Avengers Assemble, and its weird, some stuff is movie like, but at the same time things are also comic like, like Hawkeye's outfit is his current comics one rather than his movie one. I didn't realize it was supposed to be in the same universe as Ultimate Spiderman.

They changed the Avengers cartoon to be part of a more shared universe and then proceeded to basically never cross the cartoons over ever! Before AA, USM had various Avengers on a bunch of times, and even did so this season. Number of times Spider-Man and co. have appeared on AA? Zero that I've seen, even though they have had a villain cross over (Dracula).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So you cancel the Young Justice cartoon because of "reasons" and then decide that a logistically more difficult live action version would be better for other "reasons". WB have no idea what to do with DC franchises and barring some unexpected home runs, I highly doubt DC as we know it will exist within the next 20 years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone know the corporate relationship between DC and CW? DC is under the WB film division, and I assume the film and TV would be separate.

DC Entertainment is under Warner Bros. in general. Hence DC Films, TV shows, and video games all having WB logos.

CW is part owned by Warner Bros.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Comics aren't even sold outside of dedicated shops in most of the world now, whereas 15 years ago I could pick up a Marvel comic in any convenience store. Print is loving dead any moment now and the sooner the Big Two realize that and capitalize on a digital revenue model and reorganize the way they view that market, the better off the industry will be. The fact that variant covers as a marketing strategy is a thing that exists in 2013 is nuts to me.

Digital comics are great and all, but they need to take it a step further and come to terms with the idea that the only people who buy 5-10 single issue comics every week for $3/4 a pop are insane nerds. Something cheap and easily accessible like Marvel Unlimited, but with actual new stuff on it, should be the norm.

I was more speaking to the existence of DC and Marvel as "brands" or distinct entities, as opposed to being publishing companies. With the way WB is handling DC, I can see DC basically completely dying as a brand entirely, with maybe only Batman and Superman surviving the fall out (and WB selling off lesser characters, while squatting on the rights of others like Wonder Woman or perhaps, Green Arrow, given the relative success of his show.)

As for actual comics. I think monthly issues are going to die sooner than later. It's a model that no one seems interested in anymore outside of dedicated fans who unfortunately only number in the thousands. Not exactly worth it for such big corporations. I can see a shift toward releasing bigger books once or twice a year instead, perhaps only breaking them down into monthly installments online, but even then, those would probably not be written as traditional "issues" the way we currently think of single issues. It would be more like releasing a novel one chapter at a time, instead of having a proper monthly book. This also means that there might even be gaps between stories where no book was released while creative teams worked on other projects.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Are you saying Warner Brothers could ruin a world-famous franchise? How would they do that?

Space Jam was fine and the current Looney Tunes show has been the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam. Loonatics Unleashed was the only real complete and utter failure that should never have left the drawing board.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not exactly Duck Amuck or Rabbit Season is all I'm saying. It was a fine movie, but it doesn't really hold up against the classic shorts. There are certainly worse Looney Tunes bits (the DePatie-Freleng Shorts, for example) but they're a bit harder to explain to people who haven't experienced them.

"... the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam." isn't a high bar to clear. Or hoop, whichever. (Actually, I heard Back In Action was alright, but I haven't seen it.)

Too late.

Well Space Jam was the best use of the characters since the 40's/possibly 50's. It was better than the later shorts by miles. The current Looney Tunes show is genuinely better than the later shorts as well. Back in Action was ok. It has its moments. Kind of like the Duck Dodgers show from a few years ago.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The kids that apparently were not watching the cartoon or at least not buying the toys? Those are the kids they are going to spend millions on trying to court with the new show?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CN absolutely screwed YJ over. As well as JLU and GL. And you know who runs/owns CN? Same people who own DC. Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with any of the things it owns. Looney Tunes, DC, they are just completely in over their heads.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah, I mean, outside of the Simpsons, have voice actors ever successfully fought for increased rates? I imagine VA contracts are way cheaper than actor contracts. Also, does syndication even make that much money these days? It probably might, if international syndication is a thing I guess, but I would imagine ratings for your run of the mill daily reruns are dropped through the floor considering that primetime ratings for new episodes have all but collapsed in the past 10 years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'd imagine piracy and DVD collections have made syndication a lot less profitable for everyone involved.

I'd say legit streaming, DVD collections, and the fact that there are like 10 different cable networks that show syndicated shows at any given time probably have done far more damage than piracy could possibly hope to.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-finds-wonder-woman-661991?mobile_redirect=false

So on the one hand, I guess this kills any chance of a Wonder Woman TV show, since she is going to be in the next Superman Movie, on the other hand, she doesn't seem very Amazonian at all... Is she going to Christian Bale herself into the role?

Also, I assume WB wouldn't continue interest in a TV show when a movie actress was already cast for the role in their next big film... But then again, they are creating an ever expanding TV universe within Arrow that already includes multiple other Justice Leaguers... Who knows what the hell they are thinking anymore?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hulk wasn't as smart a film as it clearly wanted to be.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Granted, Brubaker's take on Bucky Barnes was a complete retcon of the character. It turned out well, but it'll probably owe a lot more to the Brubaker take than Kirby and Simon's kid sidekick.

Pretty much the only thing that has remained of the original Bucky was his name.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

According to someone who works at CN, the relationship between all the Time Warner subsidiaries is basically like the Microsoft Org Chart:

That would explain all the "can't use DC movie characters in the DC tv shows" - they weren't from execs thinking of the brand and not confusing people with multiple versions, they were from inter-agency turf wars and naturally the movie studios always won out.

That's even worse than some idiot execs being incompetent. Isn't Warner publicly traded? Do the shareholders really have no problem seeing all this potential for profit being pissed away due to a lack of organization?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

It's not lack of organization it is self-competition and competition is always good even when it becomes in everyone's self-interest to sabotage the company's other projects. Allow me to present this oddly un-scaled chart about how much worse we would be doing without self-competition.

:ughh:

This isn't funny anymore. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

We are going to follow Bruce Wayne through all the boring stuff no one cares about and then end the show before it gets to the part people actually want to see. Yes, this is how we are trying to sell people on the show.

Also, how can Joker, Riddler, and Catwoman be on this show if all of them are basically the same age as Bruce? The Joker might be slightly older? I guess the Riddler might as well, but both of them did not become super villains until after Batman started his career.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Warner Bros general stance is that you cannot have a character be on both a TV show and a movie because it might confuse audiences, and Batman is going to be in the Superman movie. They know this is scientific fact because this has happened before with

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So, with Constantine going to NBC, did Warner Bros just sell the rights to a show that is going to essentially be a direct competitor to Supernatural, another show it owns on its semi-owned network?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Smallville stands as a testament to corporate mishandling and general creative bankruptcy. It pretty much does everything wrong that you could expect a comic show to do.

Darkseid was indeed the final main villain of the series. Before him, you had Zod and Doomsday and Braniac. You had the Justice League AND Justice Society on the show. Superboy Connor Kent was also on the show, as well as the Legion of Superheroes. Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle was also on the show. All of this, and Clark only became Superman in the last 5 minutes of the series.

Wonder Woman and Batman and all people associate with them were banned from the show by corporate. Green Arrow was a regular on the show for nearly the last HALF of the SERIES.

The writing/chemistry for Lana and Clark got so bad and the fans hated it so much that they eventually had to write in a Hancockesque thing where she can't be near him because she now had kryptonite blood or something.

They had Jimmy Olsen, who was about the same age as Clark, be a regular on the show for years, and then killed him off only to reveal that James was his middle name, and that his little brother was actually Jimmy Olsen.

They did an episode featuring Stride gum in which a tainted batch of gum gave Pete super powers. He ate the gum because they were hosting a rave at a Stride Gum factoryasdgjhiasghasdjgfaweuojrht

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 14, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

ToastyPotato I need you to write a book all about Smallville. I seriously had more fun reading that than I ever did during the three seasons I managed to sit through.

Soonmot posted:

No poo poo, please effort post ASAP, I can't believe that poo poo!

I'm afraid that my general knowledge of the early seasons has kind of bled together, possibly due to a hemorrhage of some sort. But one thing I do remember are the unusually high amount of (sometimes on campus) student DEATHS at Smallville High that were constantly forgotten about the very next episode. This happened more during the freak of the week days before they started inserted comic book characters at every chance.

Other noteworthy things I can recall before I turn in for the night:

Chloe was built up for years as a possible potential love interest for Clark. They went so far as to have her become interested in journalism while at high school, taking up the pen name LOIS LANE. About a year later they introduce actual Lois Lane, who is less Lois Lanish than Chloe for like the next season or two until she decides to become a journalist for some reason that I can't remember now.

Chloe fell for Fake Jimmy for a while, but then had a love triangle with Doomsday.

Chloe became The Oracle for some reason in all but name. She also became like a living computer or something. She also died and came back. I think that is how she became a computer?

Bruce Wayne was almost certainly added to the show and then they changed their mind and revealed him to be some guy named Adam Knight who was crazy and a bad guy I guess. Then they brought on Oliver Queen who was literally Batman/Bruce Wayne but totally not because he's actually the Green Arrow we swear.

Speedy may or may not have been a prostitute. A female prostitute, for clarification. Who was also an underground fight club participant.

Doomsday was an ambulance driver.

Amanda Waller, the Suicide Squad, and STAR Labs all made appearances.

Lex Luthor was a legitimately swell guy for half the series, but Clark Kent was basically a SuperDick to him the entire time and drove him into villainy.

His dad, Lionel Luthor, was super evil for 95% of the series but that didn't stop Mrs. Kent from kind of having feelings for him after Pa Kent died because Lionel Luthor practically killed him.

Jor El was a massive prick and even killed an innocent teen girl to teach Clark a lesson, and also made him think he still had a living relative by making the girl think she was Kara El. Then the real Kara El showed up anyway years later.

I am 75% sure that Lana Lang was raped by Bizarro pretending to be Clark over the course of several days.

A real scene from Smallville:
Clark: What are you?!
Bizarro: I'm you, just more BIZARRE.

Lana Lang got Clarks powers briefly and they had Earthquake sex. That might have been Bizarro though? I don't remember. I think they actually retconned Bizarro in. He appeared, was "defeated" but then a couple of episodes later it was revealed that it was Clark who was defeated, and Bizarro had taken his place. The sex happened in between.

There was an episode about illegal Mexican immigrants getting sucked into the ground.

One major season plot was Lex Luthor being possessed by General Zod, and Zod's pals coming to Smallville to break stuff. Years later, Zod himself actually came to Earth and nearly took over, but he was actually only a clone or something like that, so I guess Lex Zod was the real one?

Clark's dad visited Earth decades before via some kind of portal. This was an excuse to have Tom Welling and Kruek dress up in 50's clothing for a 50's themed episode. I am pretty sure that actually happened.

They literally did the tear drop resurrection thing as a serious dramatic moment.

Almost every episode ended in the Kent barn, even when they basically all moved out of Smallville and into Metropolis it seemed.

Aquaman, in his first episode, suggests to Clark that they form a JLA after they successfully team up to beat the bad guys. Clark asks what it stands for, and he answers, JUNIOR LIFEGUARD ASSOCIATION. This is because he is a lifeguard you see.

The Flash is a teenager and his name is Bart Allen. He has stolen IDs for the other Flashes so it is totally cool for him to be the first Flash in this universe. He is never referred to as the Flash however, even though he is wearing red. In his next appearance, he calls himself Impulse.

Martian Manhunter shows up half way through the series and then proceeds to vanish and never show up to help Clark through things that could have been easily solved by a man with his very specific set of superpowers. It can be assumed that Kara joined him in his adventures.

Kara basically Superwoman's it up long before Clark has the balls to even come up with any kind of name. THEN she vanishes. It was probably because he became the Red Blue Blur.

His costume was a red leather jacket and whatever he happened to be wearing at the time (which was a blue shirt and jeans, of course.) Except for the time when it was a black trench coat with a black t shirt.

Doomsday was basically a werewolf made of rocks.

I genuinely feel like there were at least three episodes in which Lana Lang was possessed by something in order for her to get super powers and also be the villain for an episode.

"It's ok, you weren't yourself." This was a slot on the Smallville bingo cards because that is how many times people got possessed on the show.

Lana suffered dozens of concussions over the course of the series because it was literally the only way the writers could have her be both the damsel in distress while at the same time not letting her see or remember Clark rescuing her.

I'm pretty sure Clark's dad died because of Lana as well. I think he was presented with a time travel choice and had to let his dad die for reasons that made everyone groan.

The writers literally had no clue what to do with the character of Tess Mercer. Which was basically the same problem they had with Lex or even Lionel. They couldn't commit them to a characterization. Probably why they ended up revealing they were secretly were all related (she was Lionel's illegitimate daughter.)

The show had no qualms about doing episodes themed around popular films of the time, including a car racing episode around the time Fast and the Furious became popular. I want to say that there was also a Matrix-ish episode as well. There were definitely others, but I cannot remember them.

Doomsday came to Earth on Clark's rocket in the form of some genetic material. He formed into a boy and watched as Clark was taken by the Kents from behind some bushes. Lionel Luthor's people find him there, because there turned out to be a huge prophecy about Clark's arrival all along, which means Lionel was being a DICK for years even though he firmly believed in a prophecy that would explain ALL of the weird poo poo happening in Smallville. Kidsday met little Lex once, but when Lionel realized he wasn't the right alien he decided to dump him off somewhere, where he lead a normal life for years and years as a foster kid.

Smallville was stated as being at least a 3 hour drive away from Metropolis. The show then shifted to Metropolis, but since sets are expensive, characters routinely made this drive for the most mundane reasons. Such as going to work.

Additionally, Smallville is in Kansas, and for this show, Metropolis is ALSO in Kansas. And for this show, a city located in Kansas can have a harbor.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 14, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's right... I forgot about the damned Tattoo subplot. And the Isis foundation which she founded secretly whilst pretending to run a small town cafe. Or Isis was a front for her super secret spy stuff. Something like that.

The guy from Supernatural's character turn was hilarious. It was like, holy poo poo this guy is getting popular and he is booked for another show, welp, better make him completely insane and then have part of a house collapse on him!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I totally forgot about that, Ackles character was also a bargain bin Luthor iirc. It always amused me than he was introduced like a old childhood friend to Luthor and once he died everyone forgot about him.

Death was a curse that made people forget you lived. RIP to those dozen or so teenagers who were murdered in the first few seasons. Also, RIP Clark's other girlfriend who was kind of brutally murdered to advance the plot along.

I think the worst offender was the one where some guy kidnapped multiple students and murdered them one by one in a replica of the school or something like that? I want to say this was a "Saw" like episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

A rave. A rave in a fully operational gum factory. WHY?

Oh Jesus. There was some injected advertising for Toyota wasn't there? Chloe's car was mentioned by name multiple times. Jesus Christ.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ah yes. Most of the music from the show is long gone from my head. I only remember a Jimmy Eat World song being used for a prison riot scene that Clark had gotten into.

On the topic of music, the people behind Smallville inserted music into almost every single second of the show. There are literally almost no moments of silence in the entire series. There is a cheap score blaring at every moment, unless there was some band Warner Bros. was pushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Jesus, is Tom Welling allergic to Superman costumes?

He probably viewed it as a potential jynx on his career. :v: