Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I forgot about the Wonder Twins being on Smallville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

He was barely ever in the DCAU to be fair. But even the DCAU fell victim to the Bat Embargo, didn't it? JLU basically had Batman and no one else from his books for a while, because apparently that would confuse people who watched Batman Begins.

Aphrodite posted:

Green Lantern, actually.

"What the gently caress Hollywood? Why did they make him white?!"

Granted JLU was cancelled by then, but it was running on plenty of channels.

Green Lantern was a special case, because there has pretty much not been one GL character since the Golden Age version. Additionally, the cartoon went with a lesser known GL and introduced a lot of people to the GL in general through him and kind of proved that you didn't need to be put older versions of the character on a pedestal to make it successful, so suddenly seeing Ryan Reynolds play the older, white version of the character was kind of a slap in the face to a lot of newer fans.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dr. Fate did not look so good in motion. And Hawkman's wings often felt way too small when they were on screen.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Invaders?

Do they have the rights to the robot Human Torch? Can they say the words "Human Torch"? Also, if anything should have been a Netflix series, its Agent Carter.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

Needs More Namor

Sadly, he is a mutant, even though I feel like he should fall under the same category that Wanda and Pietro fall under. :colbert:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Universal has the Namor rights explicitly.

Namor apparently has some other weird rights stuff too, because the devs of Marvel Heroes said they don't have access to him.

How is Universal allowed to squat on the rights to Namor? Everyone else has to release X number of films or whatever within a period of time or forfeit the rights.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

^^^ Fox has those, so Universal getting Namor is even more peculiar.

Aphrodite posted:

They just got them in 2006.

That's still 8 years ago. Fox and Sony both have to put out stuff every few years or something like that. I think the longest they can go is 10? I mean, Fox did that early 90's FF movie just to keep the rights refreshed and then never released it, didn't they?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Makes sense given she has worked for Disney on the TV show Kyle XY (which was never completed. :argh:) I mean, yeah Thor too, but I have seen her more on TV then movies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Last Fantastic Four was 2007, so the term is up there.

I thought Fox allowed Daredevil to go back to Disney for an extension on Fantastic Four?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

It wasn't an extension on F4. Marvel offered to extend DareDevil's rights for Fox if Fox gave them back the rights to just Silver Surfer and Galactus. Fox declined and let the DD rights lapse.

Oh goddammit you know Marvel was gearing for some Infinity Gaunlet poo poo and Fox just cockblocked everyone. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Oh so they have decided against recasting Agent Carter. That's nice of them. When the series was first announced like a year ago, before AoS debuted, there was a rumor that Hayley Atwell wasn't going to be in it, which was weird because she had just done the short film and it didn't seem like she would be too busy to get her own primetime television series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

They better not recast Dum Dum either, Neil Mcdonough was perfect for that role

He's currently on Mob City, but there is no telling if that show will still exist by the time they actually start filming AC.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Actually Disney purposely sold extension rights to Sony for Spider-Man in exchange for some TV animation rights when Spider-Man 4 wasn't going to happen. Spider-Man doesn't have an "as long as you're making films deal". :flashfact:

So is it a time limit then? I almost feel like they should have let the movie rights lapse and said gently caress it to the TV rights, which they have proceeded to do nothing but make an incredibly mediocre at best children's cartoon with. I highly doubt it makes them more money than rolling Spidey into the MCU would have.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am a little more than halfway through the first season of Arrow and it is almost disgusting how much it has outclassed every aspect of Agents of Shield so far. The writing is so much tighter that its gross. It manages to have mysteries that are gradually and continuously explored through each episode, as opposed to simply being referenced so that the show can hurry up and go no where with a mostly filler plot. It's new characters seem far more interesting than AoS ones, and it has already made liberal use of more actual comic characters than SHIELD has in as many episodes, even if some of them have been wasted. From what I hear though, there is no shortage of them in upcoming episodes for me.

It really kind of throws most of the defenses of AoS out the window. AoS is just a badly managed show. There really isn't anything to it. I hope they shake up the writing staff for season two. AoS did take a turn for the better in the last couple of eps, and maybe the "back nine" will be a huge improvement. We'll see.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm guessing representations of Slade that we have seen in stuff like Arkham Origins and Injustice and in the comics and cartoons in general, I guess, are anatomically impossible? Well the head gear, I mean. Well I suppose normally it would be a mask and those never look the same in real life, but in Arkham origins, its actually a helmet looking thing. Here it looks a bit over sized, but I am wondering if that is because when video games give him a helmet, they essentially shrink his head so the helmet doesn't look big.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 25, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

The entirety of the Arrow advertisements before it first aired here in Australia was literally just a two second shot of him on an island followed by about thirty seconds of him working his way up the weights rack.

Every single poster for Arrow before it premiered was him without his shirt on just standing there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arrow is, so far, significantly better than Heroes. Though I am including everything that Heroes was, not just the first season which was pretty decent. Arrow is also better than any superhero show I can think of right now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Medullah posted:

TV Exec - "No, no, no, that sounds terrible. Let's get that British kid who played 'Spike' on Buffy!"

You laugh but you realize this is a possibility right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

How many episodes is this season supposed to be? Wikipedia is very slowly adding more episodes as time goes on. A few weeks ago it topped off at 15, but now it goes a bit further.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's good news.

Quick Arrow question:

They retconned an entire human being off of the Queen's boat, correct? Because I feel like I remember there being another dude on the boat that the dad shot first, before killing himself. But after the first few episodes, that person is never mentioned again, nor the fact that his dad straight up murdered a guy to save his son.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I thought he had something to do with security for some reason. I only bring it up because they specifically say at some point that it was only Ollie and dad on the raft and I thought it was funny that they basically erased him from existence.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

A lot of these shows get ahead of themselves in plotting sometimes which is fine when they live long enough to pay off, but they very rarely do. It seems like most shows that last long are the ones that don't really plan that far ahead.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well for better or for worse, Heroes Reborn is only 13 episodes and is being billed as a miniseries. So it is either going to be plotted decently and be watchable, or it is going to fail spectacularly. I wonder if they pitched the idea to be more like the original concept. Each "season" would be with different characters on their own arcs. Would be pretty easy to do if you kept the seasons really short.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Weren't Hannibal and Under The Dome initially billed as miniseries? This will only end in tears and more undiscovered Pitrellis.

e: Not calling Hannibal poo poo, just pointing out the precedent.

"Miniseries" is the official new code word for "we have no faith in this show and it will probably not get another season". I guess it looks better to shareholders who don't know anything about what they are investing in when they see a miniseries come and go in 10 episodes as opposed to something being billed a big development sinking in the same amount of time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

An annoying thing about the show was how they had multiple times where Sylar got redeemed but every single time they just turned him evil again.

StumblyWumbly posted:

TV in general, and superhero shows in particular, should be more willing to end stories and write off characters who's arc is done.

Comics has that problem too, but it tends to get spread out over multiple series, not coming up year after year in the same series.

Yeah basically the issue was they were treating him like a comic book character who had been around for two decades when in reality he was only around for 4 years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I saw all of Smallville and Heroes. I barely remember anything about Heroes. Perhaps for the best. I started thinking about it again and things are flooding back.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you remember West?

Nnnnngh. He was friends with Claire? Is that the same kid that could fly? Played by the kid who played John Connor on the Sarah Connor Chronicles?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Her flying boyfriend in season 2. You are mixing two characters up. One was not that bad and the kid who left the show for SCC. The other was loving West and one of the worst parts of season 2.

I still maintain that the worst part of season 2 was the South American siblings. That whole subplot was a huge waste of time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

^^^ Couldn't they have picked up the pieces later?

The old Heroes threads probably wouldn't survive today. Smallville I don't know. I can only base this on how much a few people whine very loudly about other people criticizing Agents of SHIELD in its thread. It's kind of a bummer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Heroes season 2 wasted Kristin Bell. Not sure how much more you can indict a show than that.

I forgot she was on the show dammit.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Fake or real, they've already dropped the ball on this one. GCPD should have been a ready for television pitch. Dialing the clock back on the characters twenty years doesn't do anything except confuse your audience while you try and reboot these characters on the big screen (not to mention develop another TV continuity on Arrow). Then, they go a step further and make it a show about Gordon and young Master Bruce's relationship...

I don't understand DC or the WB's long game, here. But then again, I'm that guy that doesn't like Arrow, so whatever.

There is no "real" long game at WB. They are more than happy to concede just about everything to Disney/Marvel at this point in terms of quality and branding so long as they can promise short term profits on their own franchises. When the time comes they will pull the plug on DC for the most part without much hesitation. Basically I am saying they probably figure superheroes is a bubble that will eventually pop, so they don't give any kind of a poo poo as to investing any real energy into developing the properties they own. Let Disney spend tons of money making three dozen movies and TV shows and cartoons, we'll release some Batman and Superman stuff occasionally, rake in the quick cash, and then fire everyone at DC when the bubble eventually bursts.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Edit:^^ He would have been growing up during a bad patch in HK history. But yeah, there isn't anything for him to do there anymore. Unless he wants to beat up the homeless that hang around Port Authority Bus Terminal.

CSI: NY was also largely not filmed in NYC, at least not at first, I never watched it long enough to see if they moved. How I Met Your Mother, which is all about NYC and how great it is, is filmed in LA.

The tax incentives thing kind of sucks. Disney can easily afford to just pay the bills. These incentives just end up losing money for the state.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Looks better than expected, but its also a nice photo. We'll have to wait and see what it looks like in CW cheap-o-vision.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Seeing as Flash's recent TV cartoon appearances have had him eating a lot (as Wally West at least) I would imagine that they do end up going with that for the show, even if it isn't comic accurate, mostly because it is a visual gag they are going to want to pull and gives him a "quirk" they can play with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

WarLocke posted:

"Cut! Someone get Grant another Whopper, we have to start from the top!"

It's not even the amount that is bad. From my experience it is the fact that the food itself is sitting there for quiet some time, constantly being reheated, or sometimes not reheated at all. I've seen multiple actors spit out food between takes if they still have it in their mouths when cut is called.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Medullah posted:

Quick, someone post the ultra-realistic salad eating gif from Dexter!

I've noticed alot more salad eating on TV shows. It's kind of a brilliant work around. Pretty much all of the food shown on Big Bang Theory is salad or Asian take out in food containers. Easy to replenish and not difficult for people to eat in a left overish way. I cringe when I see people eating french fries or burgers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think a lot of people were turned off by the advertising for the show and probably even the first episode. I practically had to make a presentation to get my friend to watch it because he had seen parts of the pilot and most of the ads and was convinced the show was absolute trash. Now he genuinely likes the show and binged all the way to catching up. I was basically the same way.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It had markings on his chest, anyone recognize? It's either going to be Thor related (the most boring possibility), or it is a Kree or an Inhuman. I really doubt it is a Skrull.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

With regards to Skye becoming Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel, one thing you should all be worried about is that Skye is absolutely not her real name, and that we do not know her real parents. Which means they could totally pull off a "My real name is Carol?!" type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cobblepot is pretty much the only one that makes sense since his family has history in Gotham.