Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I wonder if there will be some kind of discount for people who have HBO the old fashioned way. Obviously this is more than just HBO, but it would kinda suck for some people who are happy with OG HBO to have to choose between having the package on their TV and having the new service. It also mentions Crunchyroll, so I wonder if it actually has full access to that library or if it is just select items. I currently have a CR sub, so dropping it for HBO Max wouldn't be the worst, but my family already has HBO for their TVs, which let's me use the GO app, so paying for HBO twice would suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I like the layer of the comedy where you realize that Watchmen exists because Alan Moore was told he couldn't use the Charleston characters, which was the original plan for the story. That quote should be framed and put in art museums around the world.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I meant Charlton. No idea on their lettering techniques. All I know is that they were bought out by DC, which is why Blue Beetle, The Question and Captain Atom are DC characters. The characters from that company were going to be used by Moore, since no one was really doing anything with them at the time I suppose, but DC decided they'd rather roll them into DC proper and I guess they figured his story would make that too difficult.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

As someone who has never read The Boys, what specifically was it that rubbed so many of you guys the wrong way? Like what are you hoping not to see in the show, without spoiling?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

uhh lets see, rampant homophobia, misogyny, ableism, rape, terrible poop jokes, basically every ennis-ism you can think of

Yikes. Guess I will skip the books and just check out the show then.

HIJK posted:

Ennis was good for Punisher because he had editorial restraints from Marvel but its like everything else he does is just super self indulgent and goes in circles. Comic book creators always have to do that it seems, they take all the poo poo they like and then run that poo poo into the ground.

It's probably a problem with any kind of creator. Restraint is a skill and most people simply don't see it that way because society keeps throwing the message out there that artists should never be restrained, which is not a completely true statement. Most of the successful art that one will find was usually made under some kind of constraint. Sure, there are going to be the edge cases that flourish when unbound, but most people just plain old need to be given boundaries, regardless of how talented they are.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exo-Man

70's TV movie.. long story short: professor develops some kinda fiber that moves or something when electric current passes through it, gets paralyzed, builds cheap plastic armor that gives him limited super strength, bulletproof, uses it to beat up Jose Ferrer or something. It also tends to run out of power at inopportune moments, just like Iron Man's. Can't fly or shoot repulsors, looks like it was made with a bucket and rubberized long johns.

It's intensely painful to watch, but if you want late 70's melodrama mixed with lovely sci-fi, here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7cDY_CsezM

Marvel would sue the gently caress out of anyone trying to make something like this now; back in 1977, no one gave a poo poo.

Isn't that nearly the exact story for M.A.N.T.I.S. (TV movie and then series) from the 90s? Paralyzed professor uses high tech suit to punch people.

Alaois posted:

he isn't, i think Jim Valentino just hosed up and assumed he was.

his true backstory is that he was a normal human born with a photographic reflexes, and later volunteered for a Hydra version of the Super Soldier Serum that gave him the ability to instantly memorize motor skills at the cost of his actual memory.

Is Taskmaster Origins not considered canon? I thought in that one it was revealed that he was actually a SHIELD agent with severe memory loss who was infiltrating Hydra. And that the serum was actually from SHIELD.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 30, 2019

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

I thought he's wanted to retire from the character for a while? Something about doing the voice being too hard

I remember him saying that since around the time Arkham Knight was being made. Hasn't he played the Joker since then? He did in Killing Joke. Probably at least one other thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arist posted:

I don't understand the point of putting more Marvel TV stuff on Disney+ if it inevitably is going to be sectioned off from the Marvel Studios stuff. That's just going to make everything even more incredibly confusing than it already is.

Because a huge chunk of the Marvel TV audience was still expecting or hoping for cameos of their favorite characters in the last two Avenger's movies. Nothing short of them coming out and saying the MCU and TVU are completely separate and will probably never cross over ever, which for obvious reasons they probably don't want to do, would work in that regard, so they might as well stick them on the same service. If people haven't gotten that they aren't connected by now then they might as well make some extra bucks off of them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

He is the head of Marvel TV, isn't he?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ms. Marvel is an Inhuman right? Does this mean that Marvel Studios will officially be tackling Inhumans within the MCU, or do we think they will actually go so far as to make her a mutant or something else entirely just to avoid having to associate the MCU brand with the mess that Marvel TV made?

Endless Mike posted:

I'm really annoyed the Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ package is ad-supported Hulu.

Wait, is there nothing for people who are Hulu Live subs already?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I guess Universal's Hulk rights was the one weird exception where the deal didn't include spin off characters or like, the Hulk name/brand? Or was there some new development between the two companies that I hadn't noticed?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If it was a TV loophole, you'd figure a Disney+ Hulk series would have been probably the first thing they would have announced, as opposed to say, Wanda/Vision. But maybe this She Hulk show will have plenty of Bruce in it, who knows?

Also, rumor has it Sony and Marvel are working on a new deal for more Spidey MCU stuff after the shitstorm that erupted and part of that new deal is Sony getting live action TV rights for "Spider-verse" projects.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I thought the mental illness thing was mostly recent-ish? Or at least played up a bit more in the past decade or whatever. I have no idea what the current status quo is for the character now though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Another confusing thing about the Hulk rights is how apparently the Universal deal was unique in that it didn't have a non-transferable clause in it apparently? Because I am fairly certain Comcast purchased Universal not that long ago (it was after Hulu was already a thing at least, IIRC.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah but with both Fox and Sony, the rights those companies had were non-transferable, which means if they had been sold to anyone, they would lose their Marvel characters. So it's weird that apparently Universal was exempt from that seeing as they have changed hands.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Personally I thought the weird shockwave suit was a gimmick the movie didn't need and feels like an investor getting worried there are no superpowers in the superhero movie.

Plus by MCU standards the CG was overall pretty bad.

Apparently, the CG artists were super rushed for Black Panther. They had an insane number of shots that they did in some relatively short time frame, before having to basically immediately move onto Infinity. And also many of them went on to work on the next 2 Avengers films, proving they could do better (weird floating Ruffalo in Infinity was apparently another last minute rushed shot.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

havent seen a hollywood reporter/vanity fair "official" type announcement yet but

https://twitter.com/moredisneyplus/status/1166368909840322560

Marvel or Marvel Studios though? That tweet just says "Marvel".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There was the 90s Swamp Thing show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I could have sworn she actually used the name, or at least, explicitly showed that she might. IIRC wasn't it like one season before they actually added Lois? It's pretty much where the rumor came from. It wasn't some dumb fan speculation, I thought they specifically made it a plot point that they quickly dropped.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Can we get Smallville Canary for Maximum Canaries?

Edit: Imagine a scene where every Canary does their scream at the same time to the big bad. It writes itself!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Assuming they don't do a reverse of the famous Crisis cover and kill off Tiny Clark, I hope they use the crossover to give him the red underoos. Routh's suit has them and he's got them back in the comics now.

I've been expecting the reverse of the famous cover since the first time Clark showed up on Supergirl but was clearly not going to be a regular character.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah it was far from the worst thing ever. Mediocre for sure. It definitely felt rushed as well, and yeah, that suit was ugly, even more so when it was hanging in the case. But the show looks like it has about as much potential as any other Arrowverse show. As long as it doesn't end up worse than Legends season 1, it will be watchable for me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

After the massive success of IW and Endgame, I could see him having the clout to ask that a character be reserved for the MCU even if Marvel TV had plans. Especially after the Inhumans debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. The most likely scenario is a little of both. They probably had big (but maybe solvable) issues, but Feige probably stepped in and pitched something to Disney, who decided to say gently caress it, considering they will likely make the money they spent already back and still pull a huge profit on whatever Feige comes up with anyway.