Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

There's a pretty big difference between people knowing about Tony Stark's crazy suit shenanigans and the Hulk having been seen and the wider public knowing just how deep the rabbit hole goes and that a whole slew of superheroes and alternate, alien worlds exist.

Skye even says that SHIELD covered up the events of The Avengers film and swept it under the rug. She didn't say exactly what the public story is. But it clearly isn't "aliens and gods hosed a bunch of poo poo up and almost took over Earth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Did anyone recognize the guy from the post-credits scene? Is he someone from some Extremis story that I've never heard of before or an original show creation?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an off-hand reference to Wakanda or Latveria. I'm really hoping we eventually get an Excalibur episode but that's just a pipe dream I think, I may as well hope for a New Mutants TV series.

Apparently Wakanda can be seen on a map in Iron Man 2.

I highly doubt they'd actually use Latveria since they don't have the rights to Doom.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I think they theoretically could, since movie rights and TV rights are separate, hence why they can still make cartoons with Doom in them. They probably wouldn't want to break any type of movie continuity, though.

My initial understanding was that it was animated rights only. But some articles indicate it is ALL television rights. But you're right. I don't see how SHIELD, which exists within MCU, would use something that couldn't also be in the movies.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Some kind of modified Dark Reign storyline would actually work well in a show format

I really don't know if there's enough major league bad guys for this to happen. And the whole other aspect besides "bad guys take over" is "good guys are driven underground/not trusted".

I'd be fine if the show took some time to develop Hand for a season or two and then let the movie people decide if they wanna advance her plot any more. We really don't know a lot about her before her death other than she was a low level SHIELD accountant and was probably a lesbian.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

greatn posted:

Oh hell Daredevil stole Mysterio too didn't he?

Mysterio has been in a total of...what, 7 or 8 issues of Daredevil total? And since then, he's been in several dozen Spider-Man issues. He's still very much a Spider-Man villain.

Hammerhead and Silvermane, while initially introduced in Spider-Man, aren't really Spider-Man specific villains and are just guys you use when you need a mob story. Hell, they aren't really Daredevil villains either.

Kingpin is the only one who really is a villain that started as Spidey but became a Daredevil villain. But nowadays even that is changing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hand in the comics was, pre-Osborn, a low ranking SHIELD accountant or something like that. She got transferred to Bumblefuck Kansas or wherever because she thought SHIELD's policies weren't authoritarian enough.

I think we're dealing with a different SHIELD in this series.

I'm fine with AOS not drawing a ton on the comics for now, but eventually, they're going to have to give viewers a reason to continue tuning in rather than watching any of the other freak/monster-of-the-week shows out there. And hey, we're probably gonna get Gravitron.

I'm guessing the reason they aren't using HYDRA is because of future use in Cap or Avengers films. AIM isn't exactly a criminal organization at this time, if I remember Iron Man 3 correctly. They're just a group of smart scientists.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

They've also given us enough episode focused moments to give Ward, FitzSimmons, and Skye a good amount of backstory. May is still kind of lacking in that department though.

But I also don't think they're trying for anything too epic like LOST. This is your standard freak-of-the-week thing with the MCU as the backdrop. And for better or for worse, that probably means we won't be getting HYDRA or AIM or any major villains because there's no doubt in my mind Marvel/Disney handed a huge list of stuff that is off-limits for the AOS people.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jonathan Frakes will be on tonight's AOS episode

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

So what was the exact reasoning for cancelling Earth's Mightiest Heroes? I remember them doing a format change between seasons because of the "kids don't follow story arcs!" nonsense, but it really felt like they rushed through the last season and then murdered it for the garbage we have now.

They also wanted all the shows to be in the same continuity to cram in guest appearances and whatnot.

I understand animation, especially targeted at kids, doesn't lend itself to a long running epic series and whatnot. But I wish Marvel would let Weismann or someone produce some quality direct-to-DVD stuff rather than the complete garbage they've put out.

The only good one I've ever watched was Wolverine vs Hulk, and even that was paired with a lovely Hulk vs Thor thing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Opopanax posted:

I remember in the 90s when Spider-Man and the X-Men had a crossover and they ran it in Primetime because it was such a big deal

Yeah, most of the Marvel 90s shows have aged horribly but they at least had a decent shared universe and, for the most part, good voice actors.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Some writers actually get credits in the movies. Chris Yost got a screenwriting credit for Thor 2, for example.

But I imagine some credit beyond "executive producer" or "inspired by" is fairly rare.

And hell, even if they're involved, it doesn't always prevent it from sucking. USM cartoon loving sucks and Bendis himself works on it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone spoil the AoS twist for me? I stopped watching a few weeks ago.

The bad guys kidnapped Coulson and want to know how he came back from the dead.

Episode then ended.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

So is it a time limit then? I almost feel like they should have let the movie rights lapse and said gently caress it to the TV rights, which they have proceeded to do nothing but make an incredibly mediocre at best children's cartoon with. I highly doubt it makes them more money than rolling Spidey into the MCU would have.

While the movies may have clearly established Iron Man, Thor, and Cap as big names for people to go see in the films, I don't know if that has easily translated into television or animation so Spider-Man and X-Men may be more necessary to carry animation franchises.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

The Chitauri stuff was just because they wanted generic minions for Thanos. They can use Skrulls if they want but there isn't really a place for them so far.

More specifically, they can use Skrulls, but not the character Super Skrull

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

How am I not surprised that Loeb has a figure of Rulk on his desk?

https://www.facebook.com/AgentsofShield/posts/10102862089252003?stream_ref=1

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Any thoughts on that weird body Could on saw? My first thought was it could be Coulson's body, implying he is a clone or LMD.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

You saw a giant jacked blue dude with his butt missing and the first thing you thought of was Coulson?

Not that I've re-watched Avengers recently, but I figured the blue thing sticking through the middle of the body was Loki's sphere that stabbed Coulson. Obviously I'm wrong.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah but they made a big loving deal of freezing bullets different than regular bullets. They also showed how Victoria was specifically bleeding out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

I wonder when we'll get a new X-Men cartoon, it's been a while since WATXM ended. I think there's been some rumors of Marvel having a Guardians of the Galaxy series for 2015.

Have any X characters appeared in USM or Avengers Assemble?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know how this happened but SHIELD has had like, 3 or 4 actually good episodes in a row. How did this happen?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

One of the new supporting cast members reveals he's the grandson of a Howling Commando.

They've also been doing a lot more name checking in the show. Kree, various Asguardian mythological things, Yakuza, and others have all been referenced. Admittedly in small ways but referenced nonetheless.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

XboxPants posted:

When were the Yakuza referenced and how would that be a marvel name drop?

When Coulsob on is on his manhunt in Muncie, his partner says their suspect's family has ties to Yakuza.

Yakuza have, at times, played roles in Marvel crime and Daredevil stories. Also Wolverine, but obviously those rights are with Fox.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SIF already confirmed the Kree exist in her AOS episode.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There was a Marvel One Shot on the...Blu Ray of the first Cap movie that shows what Carter is up to after the movie. She gets put on some desk jockey job in what I assume to be the FBI or CIA or something like that. By the end of the film short, Howard Stark calls her up and asks if she'd like to help him form SHIELD.

I'd really like to see more of the Howard Stark from the Cap movie. He was great.

So I'm guessing this is basically going to be the early days of SHIELD.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah the IM2 Howard Stark shot a video of Stark Industries stuff that had Tony in the background of it so that'd probably be like, late 60s or earl 70s or so. This Howard will be 20 years younger than that, hopefully the same guy who played him in Cap 1.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The worst portrayal of any Marvel character is always going to be Black Panther and anyone who guest starred in it. That show sucked so loving hard.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I thought it was really interesting that the first time Peter unmasked, she had a really mature conversation about how she used to feel about him with Luke Cage, and then when Peter mind-wiped his secret ID from the world and unmasked right in front of her, she blurted out that she loved him, pissing Luke off, and Peter was like "Oh yeah, coma girl!" and poo poo was suuuper awkward between the three for a while.

The strange thing is I'm pretty sure Bendis wrote both issues of those issues, though I think the mature sounding one was a backup in an Annual or a milestone issue number or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Defenders have been the team that's kind of formed and is not really a team because they are all bros and friends and work together. But they're a team of necessity and then they go their separate ways until otherwise needed. But hey, its MCU so it doesn't have to line up with the comics.

Not that the Avengers also haven't done that. Hell, I think Bendis even had other characters refer to New Avengers as "The Defenders" at some point in his run.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Clay Quartermain?

Wasn't he HYDRA in TWS or am I getting him mixed up with some other SHIELD agent?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, very strange that the Marvel TV panel is over and we didn't hear about Dominic Cooper or Neal McDonough returning, and nothing about the Netflix shows. I guess they'll save any big Netflix stuff for the Hall H presentation.

Would Cooper really be needed in every episode of Agent Carter? He seems more like a Fury like character in AOS, someone who comes in every few episodes, maybe yells at people or gives some intel, and then vanishes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Daredevil actually had a Director's Cut that, while it still doesn't make the Seesaw poo poo and similar scenes go away, adds some more depth to the character of Matt Murdock. They cast Coolio as the innocent victim that Matt is representing and cut his entire sub-plot out of the film.

I also thought the villains were extremely strong.

But I haven't watched the film in years so who knows how well it has aged.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It seems they're putting in some actual effort into Agent Carter. Hopefully it won't languish for half a season like AOS did.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The one thing that Kingpin's original appearances that really clashes with his more modern depiction is that he's much more of a cartoony villain. He is so massive and Spider-Man, someone with super strength, often struggles in hand to hand combat. He has a walking cane that shoots lasers. But in more recent comic appearances, Kingpin tries to attack Spider-Man and Spider-Man just loving crushes him without even really trying and Daredevil has a good chance against him as well.

So I really don't mind if a TV or movie adaptation of Kingpin doesn't have him be ridiculously huge. He should be tall and intimidating, but he doesn't need to be huge.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Compared to Batman? Not at all. It's probably the best of the nineties Marvel cartoons, but that's damning with faint praise.

Second season of Iron Man was actually really good. Some say the same thing about the second season of FF but I never watched it myself.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Arguably the episode with the Thor co-stars or whatever was decent and from then on is the tie ins to Winter Soldier.

I was not seeing the Fitz' reveal at all. Strange that Simmons left since she seemed to be in a lot of the promotional material while Fitz wasn't.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I mean Centipede and whatever else, there was a reason we were all rolling our eyes and say "Why not just call them Hydra?". I think Coulson even made a reference to the Hydra logo of cut off one, two more take the place at some point before TWS. But changing the names of the evil orgs or calling people D-list super hero/villain names wasn't going to improve the show. I think the fault is that, rather than spend the first 12 episodes doing character development, they decided to make it a paranormal procedural show that they've since almost completely abandoned.

I wouldn't call it a bad show but I have no real desire to go back and watch most of the first round of episodes other than the pilot and maybe the Graviton episode, which I thought was pretty good.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

It's DOCTOR Voodoo now. He finished his PHD sometime during Dark Reign.

And we know at least where her choice in clothes comes from, like that dress she wore to Trivia Night in Central.

The Dark Reign Voodoo mini seemed to have him running a medical practice. Unfortunately that mini was the only real use of Voodoo as Sorceror Supreme

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Did AoS ever do a recap episode to catch people up?

No. Does anybody actually like those things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Has Gotham gotten any better? I kinda stopped watching a while back.