Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
It's a goddamn shame Gandolfini isn't around anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Opopanax posted:

I think Dean Norris is a pretty safe bet, he's super high profile right now with Breaking Bad ending, but not high profile enough to be really expensive. He's a bit short but he has the look down otherwise

I loved Norris on Breaking Bad, but after seeing him on Under the Dome, I'm second guessing his talent as an actor. I think he may only have been as good as he was on Breaking Bad because of the other actors around him... He's pretty horrible on Under the Dome. In fact, he may be the worst actor on that show (and he's got some competition there). Though, I admit I've never seen him in anything else except that Hank Schrader Funny or Die or Colluge Humor skit (I forget which it was, and it was not funny).

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Huh, I saw him on Under the Dome when channel surfing a couple weeks ago, and he seemed to be a class above the kid playing... his son? I think? It was embarrassing, this poor young guy trying to emote when he looks like the most he's been asked to do before is smoulder for a catalogue picture, and Norris running rings around him. It was like seeing two different shows cut together.

Not to derail, but that kid actually ended up playing one of the creepiest characters on TV in recent memory. That whole show has problems and is generally really bad, but I was really disappointed with Norris especially. Probably because I held him in such high regard from BB.

Either way, Norris isn't a terrible choice for Kingpin, especially physically. I'm just uneasy of him overall.

Marvel has had a lot of luck with relative unknowns (I had never heard of Hiddleston, Atwell, Sebastian Stan) as well as reviving otherwise dead careers (RDJ, Mickey Rourke).

Since Gandolfini's dead, I hope they go with an unknown. But that's just me. Kingpin was never one of my favorites in the comics, in fact I've never really liked the character.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I like many of Rogan's films, but if the Green Hornet is any indication on his level of dedication to the source material, I'll save myself the trouble of getting hyped over this.

Preacher is pretty much my all time favorite. It came around at a special time in my life, and I still go back and read it from time to time. It, along with Stormwatch/The Authority - has long been my dream scenario for a Television adaptation... But I'm incredibly skeptical. Especially considering the direction AMC went with the Walking Dead.

I think it could be great, but it's going to depend heavily on casting, and what they decide to cut out. Oh, and whether or not they decide to shoot it as a period piece (I don't foresee any way it could work without setting it in the 90's).

I'm nothing but cautious.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I think Preacher is one of the few cases where a direct page-to-screen adaptation could work.

I'm not saying it has to be that way. Part of adaptation is making it work in a different medium, and there's a lot of content in those books that won't work on AMC at 9 o'clock. I'm just hoping they don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

I'm not talking about objectionable content. I just really, really don't want to see another 'port' of something. If you're going to hire people with a style who are known for a particular type of thing, don't hire them to adapt exactly.

I get that... But outside of Watchmen, who else has really ever done it? Not to mention it worked really well for that film. (Watchmen's shortcomings all stem from trying to do a genre-deconstructing story in a medium that didn't have enough content to truly warrant it).

If you adapted Preacher twice, one as a direct page to screen work, and once as a reimagining, one will clearly work better than the other. I don't think it matters what kind of auteur or showrunner you get, it won't capture the voice of the original story (pun intended).

Again, I'm not saying it won't work done in a new way, but for years, Preacher has been the story nerds and spergs have asked for as a direct translation. Because its one of the only stories that can be adapted so easily.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Green Hornet had a pretty messed up production so I'm not sure you can lay all the blame for it being lackluster on Rogen.

He and Goldberg wrote the script, where most of the problems reside.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

But... They don't own the TV rights to Spider-Man, I thought?

So confused...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Circutron posted:

I'm wondering if I came off with the wrong impression on Arrow, because from the six or so episodes I saw of season one, it just looked like it was trying really hard to be Batman Who Kills People: The Series, and that turned me off on it. There's just so many of Wayne's B-listers that you can throw into a show not set in Gotham before it starts feeling weird to me.

I know that they took care of him going for the kill shot in most of his episodes in season two, and I appreciate that. (And I also appreciate that they aren't calling him the Hood anymore, which... Oh hell, I don't know why they did that. That's a lot more ridiculous than just going with Green Arrow off the bat.) It takes care of the try-hard edgy feeling he had while I was watching.

I gave up about halfway through the first season, then, on recommendations from this thread and TVIV, I gave it another shot... I got like one more episode in. I can't decide if it's just not my cup of tea, or if I should just skip the first season, because it is DULL.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Urdnot Fire posted:

There's a one-hour recap called Arrow: Year One if you'd rather just skip to Season 2.

Thank you for this. I may finally get to start enjoying this show now. I've been trudging through the last few episodes of season 1 for almost a year now. I really, really can't get into it, but the spoilers I keep hearing about season 2 make me sad that I can't get there.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Well, I just watched that season 1 recap video, and I feel comfortable jumping into season 2. I desperately want to get into this show, but the middle of season 1 was just unbearable.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Do they have the rights to the robot Human Torch? Can they say the words "Human Torch"? Also, if anything should have been a Netflix series, its Agent Carter.

They show him in Captain America at the Stark Expo.

So, I'm gonna guess they can use him.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Fake or real, they've already dropped the ball on this one. GCPD should have been a ready for television pitch. Dialing the clock back on the characters twenty years doesn't do anything except confuse your audience while you try and reboot these characters on the big screen (not to mention develop another TV continuity on Arrow). Then, they go a step further and make it a show about Gordon and young Master Bruce's relationship...

I don't understand DC or the WB's long game, here. But then again, I'm that guy that doesn't like Arrow, so whatever.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

On-set pictures of Mckenzie as Gordon:

No mustache? :ohdear:

Seriously though, there is literally nothing to gleam about the show from that picture... Other than, he's obviously made Detective by now, since he's not in blues, and no mustache...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I've been poo-pooing Gotham since it was announced how radically different it would be from GCPD proper... But I really liked that trailer.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So... Hannibal can eat people on Friday nights, but John Constantine can't smoke?

Fwiw, a friend of mine who adores the Keanu film was flabbergasted to find out he wouldnt be smoking in the show. She didnt even know it was based on a comic, but still said "isn't that like a really big part of his character?"

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Last I head was that Goyer was working with NBC on the smoking issue.

This was the last I heard as well (probably in this thread). Though I can't help but imagine theyll just kill the issue with a throwaway "oh, no thanks, I quit."

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

God forbid they leave any mysteries open to explore in the next season... :lost:

The alien will likely be explored after Guardians of the Galaxy in AoS' next season tie in with the movie. If the show is going to bridge the movies, little things like that are perfect for introducing early, letting fester, and then exploring later.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

And the fact that the alien blood injection apparently leaves the person with some innate cosmic knowledge is proof positive that they'll be revisiting it as a plot point in the future.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I don't want to further derail the thread, but Waterhaul, I legitimately don't know what you're upset about, after a dozen posts or so... It's a serial. Serials leave threads and hooks for later plots and arcs. Of all the things to be mad at a show about, I feel like this is a bit unfair. It's one hanging plot thread, and it seems to be a major jumping point for the next season.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I think you guys are being a little overly critical.

The AoS threads might also carry over into the Netflix series or the Agent Carter prequel or even the movies. The show had a rocky start, but they've proven, I think, that they're willing to carry threads through multiple mediums. AoS basically ignored Thor 2 with a dew minor references and a small crossocer, but was much more reactionary to TWS. I think now that they've dipped their toes further in, we're going to see a lot more synergy between the properties.

Marvel & Disney clearly know what they're doing. At least from my perspective.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

All you guys talk about is loving AoS.

Anyway, Greg Berlanti tweeted that Ollie is going to be part of that Flash sneak peak after the Arrow finale so I guess Ollie is going to be a part of the Flash pilot/premiere.

We can talk about how boring and inaccessible Arrow is, if you'd prefer. Or how Arrow and Flash desperately want to live in a shared universe, but won't likely cross over with MoS or Gotham...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

They're saving Kord for the DCU films, for sure...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

We got about ten minutes into the leaked Constantine pilot and shut it off. She's too attached to the Keanu version, I think, and the overacting just made it unwatchable for me.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that it will some thing like the Observer in Fringe. It will be there, but only the focus in certain episodes.

My first inclination is that it will be fairly overt and HEY LOOK AT ME I MIGHT BE THE JOKER each week.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So after years of talking trash on Arrow, including two attempts to get into it which never panned out, I finally was able to binge through the first season.

I dig this show. But the first 19 episodes were nothing but an uphill climb. I hope season 2 is as good as the last few episodes of the first season.

To everyone in this thread who kept telling me I was an idiot for not watching this show: thanks for the coffee advice, and the sex.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Season two is up on Netflix on September 14 :)

I have it, on the first episode right now.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Madkal posted:

Arrow took a while to find its feet, but I figure things really turned around during the Huntress arc. This is not to say it was spinning its wheels like Agents of Shield, but it felt too much like villain of the week stuff beforehand, but once the Huntress arc hit things became a lot tighter. Season 2 was awesome as well. I'm really looking forward to season 3, as well as Flash.

The first time I watched it, I got to the one where the "other Archer" showed up. My second time through, I got to the one with Baltar in it. Then I tried watching the season 1 recap before season 2 started. None of it hooked me. So I watched the first half of season one three times (including my recent binge I just finished) before I was able to get to the second half of the season.

I'm not going to compare it to Agents of SHIELD, because that's been done to death.

I'm hoping season 2 is better, but as much as I really like Arrow now, the first season was overall pretty atrocious, but it found its feet in the very end. I genuinely enjoyed the last 4-5 episodes, looking forward to new stuff.

Oh hey, River Tam just showed up.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, I tried to go into season 2 after watching the "recap" and was completely lost and didn't care. The first 20 episodes are a slog, but you need them to see the relationships between certain characters build. It makes the final arc worthwhile.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The latter portion of Arrow's first season helped me appreciate and like what came before it more. Whereas with SHIELD, I was hooked despite how awful it was for the first 2/3 of the season, Arrow was just super boring and never hooked me, but in retrospect, the relationships it created became more important and interesting. Like Oliver & Felicity, Felicity & Step Dad Guy, Merlin & Father, etc. I didn't appreciate the worldbuilding they did for those characters together until I saw the end result. Like pointillism.

Arrow is an action/drama series, SHIELD is an adventure series. They both had rocky starts but found their footing. That's my take away.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I lamented in here or the TVIV couch thread both times I tried to get into Arrow, and prior to season 2 when I watched the recap. I don't know why I never latched onto it like I did with SHIELD. Maybe because of the MCU tie in, and my desire for more of that, or maybe because initially I was really turned off by all the changes between the comic and the show (Green Arrow was one of my favorites as a kid, and was really butthurt when he died, etc) - I'm not sure.

I'm sure my tastes won't always jive with others, I'm just telling you about my experience. I had to really work to get into Arrow, but I'm very happy that I did.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So, I'm 12 episodes into season two of Arrow, and it's about a thousand times better than season one. I'm really on a high with it. Had to share this moment, finally got to see Ollie & Roy face to face for the first time in costume only to look up and see my original Hester art from vol 3, issue 20, page 10 with Ollie and Roy on the road (with a Gorilla Grod tease). It's not the Green Arrow show I WANTED, but it's still really, really good when it wants to be.

The page on the left is the one I mentioned. The page on the right is the flashback from issue 22, vol 3, where Ollie remembers being on the island and convincing himself that a rat is going to taste "just like cheeseburger."

Now that I've written this post, I'm kind of regretting it, but it was a cool moment as a longtime fan of the comics - to see two characters I've been reading since the late 80's finally meet on screen for the first time without a mask in between them. Gave me the warm tinglies.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Kickstarter Nightwing series has it's first episode out. Enjoy
"Deathstroke"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o297A1wmys0

It was meh. Definitely had that "fan-made" quality level - but the guy they got playing Dick looks pretty spot-on. The four minute fight scene with DS fighting the same two stunt doubles over and over was a little much. I know they probably used original art for that opening, but yikes. All in all... No thanks.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

It's free you big moaner

There are a lot of things that are free that aren't good. It's clear they worked very hard on it, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Rocksicles posted:

People choose to be negative. How about applauding the effort, it takes balls to put something like this together for no profit.

I applaud their effort, but even for a fan film, it was just meh. :colbert:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Also, why are all of the Catering Company's waiters skilled martial artists willing to die for some Senator who's up for reelection? I mean, voting for an incumbent is hard enough to sell, but dying for him? Jeez. The dude had a machine gun and a sword, just run?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Like most fan films, the major failure here is they shot what "looked cool" over what created an interesting and cohesive plot.

If I had kickstarted that, I'd be hoping to get my money back.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone know if they reshot enough of the Constantine pilot to make it watchable? We got 15 minutes into the leaked version over the summer and had to shut it off.

She loves Supernatural and the Constantine movie, I liked the movie, and have a passing knowledge of the comic books (I read some old Lucifer and Hellblazer collections when I was a teenager), so by all means it should be right up our alley, but she immediately latched onto his lack of smoking, and that first exorcism scene was too hammy for either of us...

Edit: fixing autocorrected words.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 24, 2014

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Gotham, here is Ben McKenzie's costume at Heidi Klum's Halloween party.

This guy gets it.

I don't care how "bad" Gotham is. I still really like it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Wait they've had both Gravity and Graviton already?

No, he meant Graviton.

drat, Gravity would make a kickass Spider-Man replacement in the MCU. I hope we see him eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't blame NBC. I blame Warner for selling the show to NBC in the first place. What did they think was going to happen? Hopefully a deal can be reached elsewhere. It would be nice if someone new picked it up, like Amazon or Yahoo. Alternatively, Time Warner loving owns HBO goddamnit so this is the one time that "it should have been an HBO series" makes perfect sense.

If HBO picked up Constantine, I'd give it another shot.

Got 15 minutes into the leaked pilot and shut it off. Never looked back.