Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Teek posted:

So who's the current fan dream casting wish for Kingpin? Chiklis?

WELLLLLLLLLL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hey. I knew what you were talking about. :hfive:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

greatn posted:

Gordon Ramsey for Kingpin

Amy Bouzaglo of Amy's Baking Company as Typhoid Mary.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

twistedmentat posted:

That's a really common thing in stuff now. They don't tell actors that are going to die in Walking Dead that they are going to die until just before shooting. I think Game of Thrones is like that too, trying to keep the actors from spilling the beans over their and other characters deaths.

Even when they were filming Casablanca, Ingrid Berman had no idea who she was supposed to end up with for over half of the movie's filming and was merely told to "play it in the middle."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SaintFu posted:

(Secret Warriors #4)

Roman Reigns is both the Spear and the Shield.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know how this happened but SHIELD has had like, 3 or 4 actually good episodes in a row. How did this happen?

Captain America and the Winter Soldier valiantly led Agents of SHIELD to the fireworks factory.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Now that Thanos is an ultimate big bad, does anyone ever go, "hey, didn't you used to fly around in a big dumb helicopter?"

Not really. That story isn't part of regular canon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

As much as I'd love to see some photographic reflexes on the show they don't have anything in common except for a rough childhood and holding pretty low values of human life. On the plus side they could recast him with a stuntman in a skull mask.

I actually suggested Ward as Taskmaster in the TV subforum, but I think after The MSJ saw someone come up with it.

I don't think they'll do it, but it could totally fit. He's obviously going to do some kind of redeemable last minute action, mind-wiping is already an important part of the plot and Taskmaster is a former SHIELD agent in the comics. If they want to keep him around as some kind of anti-hero without having to worry about all the terrible poo poo he did, he could die heroically, get brought back like Coulson, have his mind wiped completely, escape and go around as this amnesiac mercenary with awesome fighting skills who doesn't want to know who he is because he can feel that he did something completely unforgivable.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

jng2058 posted:

I can't get excited about them doing the uninteresting stuff before the character gets cool.

That's why I've never watched a minute of Smallville.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm loving how Agents of SHIELD has become an exercise of hinting that they're going to go with the blatant redemption arc for Ward, only to smack it out of your hand and go, "NOPE!"

"Look, Garrett told Ward to kill his dog years ago and he instead scared the dog away with a warning shot! He's not such a bad guy after-- haha, just kidding. He shot the dog after that. He's a loving rear end in a top hat."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

achillesforever6 posted:

He has to kill things from far away where he can't feel as bad

It made strangling Patton Oswalt to death really difficult.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I heard there was going to be a Constantine TV series and I was so excited until realizing that it isn't about Kermit the Frog's evil, mole-sporting double.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Swamp Thing should show up on Constantine while they play his old cartoon theme every time he walks into a scene.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

muscles like this? posted:

That whole fight scene cemented, to me at least, the idea that they aren't going to try and redeem Ward. The way Ward actively tried to kill/severely injure May and the way she hurt him to end the fight was straight up villain territory. Also, for the final bit in chains Ward looked pretty pissed off.

He's in an interesting place because he is what the main characters on the show feared they were: Agents of Nothing. He was a longtime agent of SHIELD, but not really because he was really an agent of Hydra, but not really because he was only really working for Garrett. He was really Grant Ward: Agent of Garrett. There's a really telling moment when Garrett is reacting to the treatment and shows that he no longer needs Ward, wanting to reward him with what Ward wants and Ward freezes up. All Ward's ever cared about are Skye (that ship has sailed) and doing Garrett's bidding. Without Garrett needing him to be his little soldier, he doesn't know what he's all about.

He didn't believe in SHIELD*, he didn't believe in Hydra and by the end he didn't even believe in Garrett. Now he's got absolutely nothing to live for except maybe revenge. That scene of him standing there while being talked down at by Coulson was great because he lost everything and now he has to live with it.

*Roman Reigns would be so ashamed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The MSJ posted:

Even Skye in AoS have been upgraded to "hacker who karates and shoot people". Maybe even more than that if it ever turns out she has super powers. Unless her superpower is hacking with her brain.

Speaking of which, Skye offhand mentioned having a hacker acquaintance named Micro who is really into crime scene photos. That made me grin.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

mikeraskol posted:

She's also cold as poo poo now. I think I've said "drat Skye!" at least 3-4 times this season.

The best was when Ward was showing all the different ways he tried to commit suicide with the last one being running headfirst into the wall.

"You should have run faster."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

notthegoatseguy posted:

No. Does anybody actually like those things?

The second episode of the Clerks cartoon was pretty great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I'd rather Brooklyn Nine-Nine be left alone given that it's a great show but Crews is like Downey Jr as Iron Man levels of perfect casting.

Odor-Blocking Power Man.

Luke Cage: You smell like springtime freshness.

Jessica Jones: And you smell like powe--

Luke Cage: I KNOW!

*Jessica rolls her eyes*

*Cage flexes his pecs*

*Jessica shakes her head in disgust*

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

notthegoatseguy posted:

AOS first episode of the year was pretty drat good. They're really going to make the Inhumans (no, not the royal family) part of this show but I don't know enough about most of them to know if they're actually based on comic characters or if they're original creations.

The eyeless guy (Reader) and Raina's new form are in the current Inhuman series. So basically they were created for the show and I guess Charles Soule was asked to incorporate them into his series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool posted:

I'm not sure which Soule creation you think Raina is either. She's not really like any of the new one, or at least any of the prominent ones that I can think of. I thought before this episode she might be Naja but probably not now.

Yeah, I was probably wrong about that. She just looked a lot like that weird girl in the comic who bragged about eating a mouse.

I could have sworn Soule confirmed on Twitter that the dude on Shield is Reader though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't count,and even if it did, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

RoboCop once fought a crazy vigilante dressed as a superhero who was played by Roddy Piper. So there.

I'm only two episodes into Daredevil, but holy poo poo, that hallway fight.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So in comics, whenever they introduce a serum or potion of some kind, they never even start explaining what's in it because it's comic book super science and only very specific fictional geniuses are supposed to even know how it works. Makes sense.

On tonight's SHIELD, they explained what Mr. Hyde's formula is made of. Gorilla testosterone, crystal meth and a dash of peppermint, with the powers kicking in after taking electric paddles to the chest and an adrenaline injection. That... sounds like a party :stare:

Meanwhile, Hyde is my favorite MCU villain. He's like a Batman '66 villain in a modern Marvel setting and it's so loving absurd and amazing.

Tonight also gave us the most badass line from Mack.

*Gordon the teleporter appears with Mack sitting across from him, holding an axe*
"It's Gordon, right?"
"Yes. And you are?"
"I'm the guy who kills Gordon."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's something subtle about Jessica Jones that, if intentional, was incredibly brilliant. It's the mass interview montage segment.

As the viewer, we're given an advantage over everyone else in that world which can affect our judgment. One of the criticisms I've seen about the show is that Kilgrave shouldn't be hard to believe in because it's a world with the Avengers and whatnot. It's brought up in-show too. We know that Kilgrave is real, so we can't really identify with the MCU public.

Then there's that scene. When that douche guy talks about a "limey" stealing his blazer, we know he's telling the truth and we, much like Jessica, take him seriously. But there are others whose stories don't match up with what we know. One of the most prominent characters in this montage is a stoner who blames an Asian guy for mind-controlling him into robbing a convenience store. We laugh at him because Kilgrave isn't Asian. This guy is obviously just making this stuff up to explain away his criminal actions. An Asian guy with mind control. How silly! We all have a good laugh.

But later in the season, we see the videos of Kilgrave's childhood origin. It's revealed that there were other test subjects out there and the very first one we see is from an Asian country. Did he gain the same powers? Did he end up in the States somehow? Is this the very person the stoner guy claimed ordered him around? Who's to say? What's important is that it's possible that that guy was telling the truth and we, as well as Jessica, dismissed him in the same way the public would dismiss Hope for her crazy explanation.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I lost a bet so I have to watch Agents of Shield from the beginning.

The pilot is so loving horrible.

Reminder: most of the first season is really bad and flavorless, but it does get very good once Bill Paxton shows up and you do get some decent world-building out of the experience for future use.

And chin up. You have SO MUCH amazing Kyle MacLaughlin to look forward to.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

So everyone who said "Agents of SHIELD gets really good one they get past the Winter Soldier embargo" are a bunch of loving liars.

I'll turn you into me. I'll turn you into me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Skye is still insufferable though.

After the first season, I gave Skye a pass because of the diner scene where she completely bitched out Ward. That was the best.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Oh come on, I have to go to wild extremes on these shows.

Too high or too low, there ain't no in-betweens.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

David Wise wrote the Battletoads pilot and people still loving love Gargoyles.

I could kill Elec Man with a deep cut like that. Good going.

mikeraskol posted:

First (very) minor plot stuff as well. Could be going full on Batman Begins with it.

Iron Fist's origin story from his original run is basically Batman Begins already, only take all the genius/detective/etc stats that Bruce Wayne gained and replace it with maxing out his fighting stats. I'm glad they're going in this direction because it means we might get the scene where Iron Fist finally tracks down his father's killer, which is probably the best "vengeance is hollow" moment in comics.

Rhyno posted:

So spent the day binging AoS. Lots of alien text carving, Fitz going all Flowers for Algernon. Skye's dad is indeed a ton of fun, Rhaina (sp?) is the loving worst. And now Skye's been terigenesized and Tripp is dead. Are we supposed to be super sad about Tripp dying? Everyone is all twisted up and I just don't remember him being very close to anyone but whatever.

I should let you know that there's a character coming up named Lincoln. As the optimism to oppose your pessimism, I just want to warn you that he loving sucks. Everyone is more or less in agreement that Lincoln loving sucks and you're going to have to deal. Just a heads up.

But Hunter's really fun, so there's that!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS was quite alright tonight. Is the sentient death juice alien an original character?

Someone in the TVIV thread suggested he's Hive from Secret Warriors and that makes a ton of sense.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Mark Dacascos! Okay Agents of SHIELD, you're alright in my book.

The secret ingredient is fish oil.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I want a white Iron Fist.

I want a descript white Iron Fist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

In addition to these swanky robes we also get these boss torches.

Man, it's really a good thing I'm done with 4thletter...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Just as long as they can get the rights to his badass Marvel vs. Capcom 3 theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5CE_soMdlg

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Remember that by "group" it's "two people." One was a gigantic douche already and the other was visibly frustrated that talking through their problems was completely worthless. The others stayed out of it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Die Laughing posted:

That's pretty much what I wanted to write about. Something makes me think that they won't talk about how Fox News has hated Captain America for years since Brubaker lampooned the tea party, and Joe Quesada gave his shield to Stephen Colbert. Hopefully they cover the Secret Empire.

Hopefully they cover the old creepy CGI Captain America images we'd see on this forum ten years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Cryptkeeper discovers that he's been a puppet all along.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

To hype up tonight's Agents of SHIELD, I've written about all of Ghost Rider's non-comics appearances.

Especially how goddamn awesome it was that time he took down Galactus on the Fantastic Four cartoon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't know cars.

The redneck one is Mater and the main character is McQueen, but that's all I know.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wasn't there a Ghost Rider on a flaming camel in the Jason Aaron run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Oh come on man, it's just like when you drive a plane.

Skwirl posted:

I know you're being sarcastic and are on my side about this, but reading the words "drive a plane" makes me so loving angry for reasons I can't explain.

Isn't that what taxiing is?