Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's General Thunderbolt Ross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It really can't be anybody other than Roz just because nobody else really seems to care about the Roxxon stuff.

(I'd have no problem with it being Jane though)

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I'm certain its Roz, but only because if it is Jane, my theory for what Fury told Odinson to make him unworthy doesn't hold up. My pet theory is that he said something along the lines of 'She would have beaten the cancer on her own.' the implication being that Thor went behind Jane's back to cure her cancer, hence her Ambassador to Asgard position.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Waterhaul posted:

I thought Jane had cancer and was dying or something. Or was that a "future story" issue or something.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Wade Wilson posted:

I thought Jane had cancer and was dying or something. Or was that a "future story" issue or something.

She was in this issue.

But her having cancer doesn't mean she can't pick up the hammer and become Thor while holding it, she was also given free reign of the bifrost to go wherever she pleases (if she did pick the hammer up from the Moon).

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Movie synergy says it's Jane because she the only character the theoretical movie drawn new readers can name.

One day it'll work just you wait.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Movie synergy says it's Jane because she the only character the theoretical movie drawn new readers can name.

It's obviously Darcy! She learned 'mew-mew's real name to throw people off the scent!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

It really can't be anybody other than Roz just because nobody else really seems to care about the Roxxon stuff.

Yeah. She's the only one who'd care and know Dario, she's the only female character with any significant role in Aaron's run, the internal dialogue doesn't fit someone who has already experienced superpowers (which actually includes Jane, since as the love interest in a comic book of course she has received powers several times) and I think she commented on how the hammer changed her hair color or something herself didn't she?

But unless Aaron thinks the readers are extremely stupid the pretty obvious hints in the issue really clash with them still selling it as a big mystery.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaz-L posted:

It's obviously Darcy! She learned 'mew-mew's real name to throw people off the scent!

Man, I would read the hell out of that book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Man, I would read the hell out of that book.

Real-talk, my favourite moment in both Thor movies is that part in number 2, where all the Earth crew are saying each other's names, Mjolnir zips past on it's way back to Thor and Kat Dennings just chirps "Mew-mew?!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaz-L posted:

Real-talk, my favourite moment in both Thor movies is that part in number 2, where all the Earth crew are saying each other's names, Mjolnir zips past on it's way back to Thor and Kat Dennings just chirps "Mew-mew?!"

Oh God dammit now I'm seeing that scene in my head and snickering for no good reason. I blame you for the odd looks my wife is giving me.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SirDan3k posted:

It's Ultron. 100 % movie synergy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dreqqus posted:

I'm certain its Roz, but only because if it is Jane, my theory for what Fury told Odinson to make him unworthy doesn't hold up. My pet theory is that he said something along the lines of 'She would have beaten the cancer on her own.' the implication being that Thor went behind Jane's back to cure her cancer, hence her Ambassador to Asgard position.

I'm convinced that whatever Fury said relates to all Asguardians and not just Odin son. Some collective sin that damns all of Asguard, that they've started every one of their wars.
That's why I am convinced that current Thor is a human. Possibly not Roz, but definitely a human.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Question IRL posted:

I'm convinced that whatever Fury said relates to all Asguardians and not just Odin son. Some collective sin that damns all of Asguard, that they've started every one of their wars.
That's why I am convinced that current Thor is a human. Possibly not Roz, but definitely a human.

I think her inner monologue has pretty much implied that she isn't Asguardian.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

That holds up with Loki holding the hammer as he is not Asgardians either.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That holds up with Loki holding the hammer as he is not Asgardians either.

I kinda want Loki to show up with the hammer and Odinson's all "I KNEW IT!" and then Loki reveals it's a fake hammer he had a dwarf make for him and laughs his rear end off.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I'm convinced that whatever Fury said relates to all Asguardians and not just Odin son.

"Your mead is non-alcoholic. You're all lightweights."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

C. Everett Koop posted:

"Your mead is non-alcoholic. You're all lightweights."

This weeks New Avengers made it clear that whatever it is, Thor was able to overcome it, and he is the best at races.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm still putting money on it being in Thor's head and only people he subconsciously judges worthy can lift it.

Because Mjolnir gaining sentience is dumb.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

This weeks New Avengers made it clear that whatever it is, Thor was able to overcome it, and he is the best at races.

I loved when he tried to lift Thorrs hammer and he couldn't and just smiled :-3 New Avengers was so awesome.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My guess is that it has to do with the whole Valhalla deal, like "If you can't die then there were 0 risks in all your fights" thus a human who is willing to risk her very life at every moment she wields the hammer becomes worthy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If I had to guess, I'd say that Fury told Thor that he is either afraid of a true death or losing the Earth, and that the mere mention of it made him afraid, thus making him unworthy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

I'm still putting money on it being in Thor's head and only people he subconsciously judges worthy can lift it.

Because Mjolnir gaining sentience is dumb.

Thor thinks the hammer is sentient, in any case.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
God dammit all, Jason Aaron. Just tell us and we can move. The gently caress. On.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm dropping the book, the identity bullshit has gone on so long it's made the switch feel like a hollow attention grab because we sure as poo poo didn't get an actual character out of the switch, we got a cardboard standee with a question mark over the face.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yes it makes sense to drop the book just prior to the identity reveal (that you already know), when the last number of issues have been full of character development and shown them adjusting to the monicker of Thor and how they're different to Odinson as well as building the book around other characters (dumb reaction) to there being a new Thor.

Everything has been building on Roz taking over, how Odinson and Asgrad reacts and continuing the Roxxon and Maleketh introduced in God of Thunder. It's not as if the book has been doing nothing and it's just changed things for nothing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't get the complaining at all. Everything has been great I thought, like pretty much the entirety of Aaron's run.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's a good book with good art. I like the new Thor and glad she will stick around for a while.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love that this is very much a super hero story. It was pretty much a fantasy book during Aaron's first volume. Next issue looks like the perfect cap on this arc.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Yes it makes sense to drop the book just prior to the identity reveal (that you already know), when the last number of issues have been full of character development and shown them adjusting to the monicker of Thor and how they're different to Odinson as well as building the book around other characters (dumb reaction) to there being a new Thor.

Everything has been building on Roz taking over, how Odinson and Asgrad reacts and continuing the Roxxon and Maleketh introduced in God of Thunder. It's not as if the book has been doing nothing and it's just changed things for nothing.

It's still not Roz and even if it was I don't care anymore. Two pages of character development and the rest is all about how the predominantly male cast is impacted by her. She's a plot device and I no longer have faith that Aaron will have her be anything else. Hopefully she'll be interesting under another writer.

But you are right I should have dropped it when it didn't grab me three issues in per my rule instead of sticking it out this long.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The books are maybe 10 % about "woe us men, who can the new Thor be?!". It's 70 % Thor kicking rear end and 20 % Roxxon/Malekith plotting. And even Odin/Thor trying to find out is mostly to give Thor another chance to kick Destroyer rear end. I don't get your complaint at all.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
I've been catching up with current marvel stuff, I hear the new thor is really great but the only panels ive seen are the absorbing ma and titiania fight, where the dialogue is super hamfisted and poorly done, is that kinda out of line for the rest of the comic or the normal quality of writing? i dont care that thor's a lady or anything it just seemed kinda dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They don't really do anything like that again, no.

You should read Thor: God of Thunder first though, because it's awesome and also because it directly leads into the current Thor. It's 25 issues, and they should all be on Marvel Unlimited by now.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah start on God of Thunder. It's the "proper" catch up point for current Thor and is a good book in it's own right and I think you won't feel a drop in quality when female Thor comes around.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

It's also metal as gently caress, so there's that. :black101:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ManiacClown posted:

It's also metal as gently caress, so there's that. :black101:

Final Days of Midgard is so :black101:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
So apparently this is the female Thor? (page from this weeks issue)

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 12, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There really only was like 2 options.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw that picture on my Facebook feed . (Along with some stuff about Terminator: Genysis which I really rather not have seen.)
Spoilers are all over the place these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Main thing that I'm now worried about is if the sales numbers for the next couple of issues plummet, it'll encourage more over-long 'mysteries' like this.

• Locked thread