Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fly McCool posted:

What's the general consensus on Straczynski's run on Thor? Worth checking out? Or should I start with God of Thunder?

Speaking of God of Thunder, what's the deal with Hardcover only? Really don't want to pay extra and I can't find a comic shop with #1.

I like his Thor run a lot. It has great art and a tight, coherent story that unfortunately doesn't have a good ending. God of Thunder is better, but you can start with either, since they both function as "reboots" of sorts. Story threads in JMS' run reach up all the way through every other Thor series that came out until God of Thunder. GoT just said gently caress it and essentially started anew with the most metal story in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm actually reading through Simonson's run now, and it's funny, because I'm not very familiar with that era of Marvel comics, so it's interesting to see how much things have changed, and yet you can tell that it's getting more and more modern. The thing that mainly sticks out is that each issue has like four concurrent storylines that switch almost at random.

It's good, though. Loved all the Beta Ray Bill stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

aroundtheback posted:

How has Aaron made both the villains so far just absolutely hate able? Its masterful just how much I want Thor to beat them, do all of Aaron's other works feature bad guys this evil?

These guys are nothing compared to the Hellfire kids in terms of hateability.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is it supposed to be a mystery? I thought Aaron said it was a new character.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah okay. Turns out it's Loki.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well the new issue is out, and it's a sort of dual-personality thing. The way I read it, it seems to strongly imply that this is at least not an Asgardian.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't know how I missed that, but yeah, that seems to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't like the writing in this issue very much. Roxxon story feels like it's getting long in the tooth already, and there was way too much dialogue with nothing important being said.

• Locked thread