Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

No mention of Walt Simonson's run? By gods, how shameful! It is as definitive run as they go, a perfect mix of mythological and sci-fi imagery and stories, building on the proud legacy of Jack Kirby and inspiring every single Thor author to this day. Hella :black101: and features an awesome cast to push away the lacking charisma of Thor himself, including fan-favorite space horse Beta-Ray Bill. Collected in a god-sized omnibus.

I would never recommend the run of Straczynski and Coipel to anyone, because it is a whole lot of issues with nothing happening, sad gods being sad and bullshit drama in a typical JMS fashion. Hunt down Matt Fraction's one-shots from that period instead.

I don't understand why people made a martyr of Thor the Mighty Avenger, romance comics became cool of a sudden? It was an alright departure from the norm, though, and the streamlined designs by Chris Samnee are very pretty.

Loki mini-series by Roberto Rodi (if I remember his name correctly) and Essad Ribic is closer to the mythological roots than the Kirby-fashioned Marvel Asgard, and plays on the cyclical nature of the original stories. Has gorgeous full-painted art.

If you want to jump into Kieron Gillen's stuff with Kid Loki (DO IT), don't miss his run on the main Thor title that had set the stage for Journey Into Mystery, especially the last story arc about Hela and Tyr. Collected in the Ultimate Collection TPB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread