Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

DFu4ever posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy could go either way, though. Honestly, it's the most ambitious thing Marvel's done so far, it has a fantastic cast, and if marketed correctly I don't see how it could fail. I can't wait for them to get out a trailer.

That said, I am really curious to see how Thor 2 does. Iron Man 3 did way better than I expected it to, so I'm curious to see if Thor 2 manages to cross the $500 or $600 million mark.

Does Thor 2 have much compitetion in it's opening weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Madkal posted:

Does Thor 2 have much compitetion in it's opening weekend?

Nothing really, although Ender's Game comes out the week before.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Thor is all alone its opening weekend and next week, and then two weeks later Hunger Games opens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So like Avengers apparently Thor 2 is going to have 2 post-credit scenes. One in the middle of the credits and one after they've all run.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The first Thor did pretty okay, and this one is going to have more attention because of Avengers. I'd say it does pretty well, maybe not as huge as Iron Man 3 but better than the first.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
I'm looking forward to Thor 2 more than any other Marvel movie since The Avengers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I honestly think Thor is the most fun out of all the Marvel films. I am really, really hoping Thor 2 is as fun.

More Sif being awesome will certainly help.

Marvel Cliques has the thor 2 guys released, and you can see Malekith and Kurze in crummy cliques quality.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always thought Thor was the weakest of the Marvel films (well maybe second weakest after Iron Man 2). I am glad that they got a different director as I found Kenneth's shots to be distracting (dutch angles) and the plot to be somewhat non-existant.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I kinda want to watch Thor again, because I don't really remember too much about it. I remember enjoying it ok, but the most lasting impression I had was that Portman had looked utterly disinterested.

Also, I think The Dark World is coming out here a week or two before North America. Marvel keep doing that for some reason. I'm not sure if it's going to prevent it from clashing with other sci-fi-y films, Ender's Game is still out around the same time, and Gravity will be out soon (I saw it while I was over in the US though). Even if the latter isn't really sci-fi, it'll still attract a similar crowd, although probably a more mainstream one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I say give it a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uJMDNNF_o

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
What the poo poo, I missed Loki in Korea. I will just replay this until I convince myself I was there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Action Missile Eye posted:

What the poo poo, I missed Loki in Korea. I will just replay this until I convince myself I was there.
There's also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKGRevjzHZo

Guy's a PR monster.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
He really is... but as much as I admire his taste and moves, he has yet to interrupt my dream wedding with Jason Segel.

Sorry, brah.

On topic: I was really surprised by the announcement that Supes/Bats was already filming.

Given, I imagine that it's something that isn't seriously dire, but I'm a little taken back. Has the script been solidified? Is everything ready to go? What exactly is the state of things currently?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The state of things is that Avengers 2 comes out in 2015 and Warner would rather rush to catch up then focus on story

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Action Missile Eye posted:

He really is... but as much as I admire his taste and moves, he has yet to interrupt my dream wedding with Jason Segel.

Sorry, brah.

On topic: I was really surprised by the announcement that Supes/Bats was already filming.

Given, I imagine that it's something that isn't seriously dire, but I'm a little taken back. Has the script been solidified? Is everything ready to go? What exactly is the state of things currently?

Hahahah, look at this guy, expecting Legendary to finish a script before they start filming.

Additionally: You could probably adlib your way through a David Goyer script.
'Ohh, $villain_name, you're such a bad guy.'
"Sub-Whedon wordplay!"
'lovely political commentary.'
"gently caress the poor."
'A huge explosion! Hopefully this will dazzle people into not realising this made no loving sense.!'

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sion posted:

Hahahah, look at this guy, expecting Legendary to finish a script before they start filming.
One, I don't like all of Legendary's output, but what a weird production company to bash and for an ill-supported reason.

Two, Legendary is out. They're going to Universal next year and have no involvement in Batman/Superman.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Supes/Bat no doubt has a script, probably not complete and are just doing the crowd shots and stuff like that as they still haven't announced full cast yet.

It's weird to point out that film as having no script given that arguably Marvel's best film had no script.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Iron Man can ad-lib. Superman and Batman cannot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

StumblyWumbly posted:

Iron Man can ad-lib. Superman and Batman cannot.

Superman just needs to smile and wink and Batman just needs to say "I am the night" or monologue about his city and how much he loves her :colbert:.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just lift the script from World's Finest (from Superman TAS) verbatim and you have your Batman vs Superman script.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Superman just needs to smile and wink and Batman just needs to say "I am the night" or monologue about his city and how much he loves her :colbert:.
Will there be time for a "This ends now!"?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

redbackground posted:

Will there be time for a "This ends now!"?

This is why I'm slightly worried about Thor 2 - Not only does the trailer have a "THIS ENDS NOW!", but it has a lovely 3 point landing in it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Medullah posted:

This is why I'm slightly worried about Thor 2 - Not only does the trailer have a "THIS ENDS NOW!", but it has a lovely 3 point landing in it.

Hasn't Thor done that in like every film now though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Every superhero film ever made has a 3 point landing in it.

I actually have high hopes for Thor 2. I feel like the further they go in the direction of epic fantasy, the better. I gather there's still a lot of Earth stuff in the movie, but the presence of dark elf spaceships should make up for that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
3 point landing seems like another thing that 99% of people wouldn't think of until TV Trops or whoever whined about it, which automatically makes some percentage of nerds whine about it who wouldn't otherwise. See also the Abrams lens flare and "emo pixie chick" or whatever phrase people love to use when talking about Whedon movies.

During the recent comic-con or whatever it was, someone read a line to hype Batman v Superman that was something like "Clark I'm the only one who has ever beaten you" and people in the know seemed mildly excited by that, what comic/cartoon/source is that quote referring to? One particular story with those two that is considered a classic?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Electromax posted:

3 point landing seems like another thing that 99% of people wouldn't think of until TV Trops or whoever whined about it, which automatically makes some percentage of nerds whine about it who wouldn't otherwise. See also the Abrams lens flare and "emo pixie chick" or whatever phrase people love to use when talking about Whedon movies.

During the recent comic-con or whatever it was, someone read a line to hype Batman v Superman that was something like "Clark I'm the only one who has ever beaten you" and people in the know seemed mildly excited by that, what comic/cartoon/source is that quote referring to? One particular story with those two that is considered a classic?

The announcement had a quote from the Superman vs Batman fight from The Dark Knight Returns.

EDIT: If you haven't read it I would suggest you rectify that as soon as possible.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 21, 2013

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

The announcement had a quote from the Superman vs Batman fight from The Dark Knight Returns.

EDIT: If you haven't read it I would suggest you rectify that as soon as possible.

Thanks, I actually got that TPB a couple weeks ago but haven't read yet. Just getting into comics at age 25 and catching up on peoples' favorites, I really liked Year One, Kingdom Come and Last Son of Krypton which I also picked up, will probably start TDKR soon.

Also got Dark Victory and Long Halloween. Haven't figured out a good point to get into the regular comics though... got first 3 issues of Superman Unchained, thought it was enjoyable enough. I'm way behind on Superman (never loved the character or generally the movies) and only know Batman slightly better. Year One was great.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Electromax posted:

Thanks, I actually got that TPB a couple weeks ago but haven't read yet. Just getting into comics at age 25 and catching up on peoples' favorites, I really liked Year One, Kingdom Come and Last Son of Krypton which I also picked up, will probably start TDKR soon.

Also got Dark Victory and Long Halloween. Haven't figured out a good point to get into the regular comics though... got first 3 issues of Superman Unchained, thought it was enjoyable enough. I'm way behind on Superman (never loved the character or generally the movies) and only know Batman slightly better. Year One was great.

You should check out the recommendations thread if you haven't already!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3395087
They'll let you know what a good place to start is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Electromax posted:

Manic Pixie Dreamgirl, which was bandied about by film critics before TV Tropes was even a thing.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

A three-point landing lasts for like literally two seconds on screen. It's hardly worth spergin' about.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wait, people dislike three-point landings? But they look cool. Why do people dislike cool looking things?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Madkal posted:

Just lift the script from World's Finest (from Superman TAS) verbatim and you have your Batman vs Superman script.
Yeah forget Bryan Cranston just have Clancy Brown be Luthor in live action as well, the guy has the look.

mr.capps posted:

Wait, people dislike three-point landings? But they look cool. Why do people dislike cool looking things?
I don't really know, realism?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mr.capps posted:

It looked cool the first 5 times, now it is just uncreative.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

StumblyWumbly posted:

There's at best like five ways to land from way up and look badass the "Three point" (Which I assume is the land on one knee and touch the ground with you hand thing) is probably the best looking of them.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

StumblyWumbly posted:

I thought it was pretty cool when a giant robot did a sliding variant of it in Pacific Rim.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SirDan3k posted:

There's at best like five ways to land from way up and look badass the "Three point" (Which I assume is the land on one knee and touch the ground with you hand thing) is probably the best looking of them.

Landing standing up with your arms crossed, Super Wizard style.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

StumblyWumbly posted:

I believe the same thing about characters smiling at each other. It was great the first ten thousand times it happened, now it's just played out. They should make other faces at each other, regardless of context.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Landing standing up with your arms crossed, Super Wizard style.

But at 100 mph like Thor and Iron Man tend to do. They'd look like human lawn darts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just THOOMPH and when the dust settles there's Superman standing there like an angry dad.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Maltose posted:

Just THOOMPH and when the dust settles there's Superman standing there like an angry dad.

But with his legs embedded about two feet into the ground. And he's wobbling from side to side just a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think we're doing best case worst case here.

• Locked thread