Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Plus even though Wright left, it sounds like they used a lot of his script and kept the general story.

The rumor was that he left because they wanted to really downplay Scott being a criminal and Edgar thought it was necessary and then they ended up doing reshoots actually adding more stuff about him being a criminal. But who knows for sure if that was the real reason? I don't think Wright's story had the Michael Pena gags or the Falcon fight either, which were some of the best parts of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also apparently Wasp was virtually nonexistent in Wright's version, which I find hilarious since Evangeline Lilly's character is arguably the best one in the movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Also apparently Wasp was virtually nonexistent in Wright's version, which I find hilarious since Evangeline Lilly's character is arguably the best one in the movie.

I read that Hope was always in Wright's script but Janet was never in there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hope was in it, but she had a much much smaller role.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Toxxupation posted:

I thought Michael Douglas was pretty great as Hank Pym

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ant-Man's a weird movie, I really like Paul Rudd and all of the supporting cast were loving great, with an awesome actor playing a fun antagonist, but it all coalesced into a "pleasantly enjoyable if totally forgettable" film. In contrast, Guardians is my favorite Marvel film ever and on regular rotation.

Ant-Man was just missing something. Dunno what.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

a) the best non-superhero comic book adaptations;

b) the best superhero films not adapted from either Marvel or DC; and

c) the best superhero films not adapted from anything?

a) History of Violence

b) Hellboy

c) Darkman, obvs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I change my c) to Darkman as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, Darkman is the best c)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

A) A History of Violence & Akira

B) A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

C) Robocop (seriously how the hell am I the first to say Robocop?)

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 3, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

(seriously how the hell am I the first to say Robocop?)

:ssh: you're not

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Michael Douglas was pretty great as Hank Pym

He stole the whole drat movie for me. My kingdom for a Hank Pym cameo in Infinity War where he punches Captain America and Tony Stark in the face.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Does Orgazmo count? Because it should.

Seriously though

A) Probably a History of Violence. Does Kingsmen count? Because it was good and had no right to be since it was a Mark Millar book.
B) The Rocketeer edges out the The Crow
C) Maybe Robocop or Toxic Avenger. Does the first Matrix count? No? Then I'm going back to Orgazmo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

a) I'm going to go with The Crow, or maybe Heavy Metal. I love both and neither are really superhero

b) Hellboy or Dredd

c) The Incredibles, hands down

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Does Orgazmo count? Because it should.

Yes, yes it counts. gently caress how could I forget about that movie? I'm still sad they didn't make a sequel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Howards Bellend posted:

Presenting a different Superman would sit with people better..

It sat with me just fine. I thought it was really good.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

a. I was gonna say "Road to Perdition" too but I'm gonna go with "American Splendor" I think.

b. Robocop

c. Darkman

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 3, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Robocop can't be b), he was never anything before he was a film.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

Robocop can't be b), he was never anything before he was a film.

Oh. I see. You fuckers.

I was also beaten on Darkman. I use Robocop for C then and...um...I don't know what the gently caress to put down for B.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I have fond memories of Chris Sim's comic movie articles, which were done in blocks (stuff like "All Superman movies" or "All Punisher movies"). The Independent Comic film block was the one most packed with garbage: Tank Girl, Barb Wire, the Stallone Judge Dredd...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I have a soft spot for Barb Wire only because someone decided the best way to adapt that comic and make a Pam Anderson vehicle was to make a post-apocalyptic version of Casablanca.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

Ant-Man's a weird movie, I really like Paul Rudd and all of the supporting cast were loving great, with an awesome actor playing a fun antagonist, but it all coalesced into a "pleasantly enjoyable if totally forgettable" film. In contrast, Guardians is my favorite Marvel film ever and on regular rotation.

Ant-Man was just missing something. Dunno what.

I am weird in that I remember loving Guardians and hold it up as one of Marvel's absolute bests, but I have still only watched it from start to finish once. When I went and saw it in the theater. However I have seen Incredible Hulk more than once which is a real life shame.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Timeless Appeal posted:

a) Persepolis

b) Dredd

c) The Incredibles, but Unbreakable is still good

Correct.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Be careful when you say 'TMNT' cause that was the mid-2000s CG animated movie, and I'm sure nobody meant that!

e: Anyway,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J64QS4tE6ic

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 3, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-M & M's. I mean, come on, it's right there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the consensus on Hancock as a superhero movie?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like the first 2 acts where he's a drunk rear end in a top hat, and then where he's a drunk rear end in a top hat trying to be a real hero.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hancock should have ended with hancock as the villain being defeated by charlize theron as the hero. that would have been way more interesting, but they had will smith and his contract lawyers to contend with

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

hancock should have ended with hancock as the villain being defeated by charlize theron as the hero. that would have been way more interesting, but they had will smith and his contract lawyers to contend with

Oh poo poo. What's that one "found footage" movie about the three kids who get superpowers and one goes bonkers? That's a good one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Chronicle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but the biggest differences in the Wright Script vs. the final script were:

- Hope had a much smaller role and was involved in a romance subplot. Marvel / Reed gave her a bigger role and cut about 90% of the romance angle.
- No Luiz flashbacks
- No Falcon / Avengers base scene
- No 1980's Hank Pym flashback scene.
- More screen time for Cross.
- Scott was more of an actual criminal and not a white collar Edward Snowden type criminal (I think he outright robbed a bank instead of doing his office space-style algorithm)
- Janet was never mentioned.
- Hank Pym dies from his gunshot wound.
- There is no Wasp costume reveal at the end.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Edgar Wright's version of Ant-Man sounds really bad and his incessant whining about being creatively restricted by Marvel comes across as sour grapes, especially in retrospect.

Basically the only change on that list that sounds even remotely good is "more Cross", and that's because Corey Stoll is an awesome actor and more screentime of Corey Stoll is always welcome. But it's not exactly like the movie we got was Cross-bereft. There was a lot of Corey Stoll in that movie.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 3, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He literally was using sacrificial lambs. His response to being questioned about it was meh what's the difference.

Ant-Man was such a good movie.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Yeah I hate to say it but most of those points sound like a positive for executive meddling.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Be careful when you say 'TMNT' cause that was the mid-2000s CG animated movie, and I'm sure nobody meant that!

That movie was fine, it's better than the 2014 one or the third one really. Middle of the road on the TMNT film scale.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think that one of the best and most clever things that Ant-Man did was having Scott/Hope's romance happen almost entirely offscreen. It, paradoxically, makes it feel real without diminishing Hope's character by making her into a lovesick fool, aka the Black Widow treatment. The fact that it's all kept offscreen with the audience only seeing hints of it - Hope checking Scott out and the end-of-movie kiss - sells their whole relationship as something that just happened that we don't need to see because it's not relevant to either character, especially the former. It was a really smart move.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toxxupation posted:

I think that one of the best and most clever things that Ant-Man did was having Scott/Hope's romance happen almost entirely offscreen. It, paradoxically, makes it feel real without diminishing Hope's character by making her into a lovesick fool, aka the Black Widow treatment. The fact that it's all kept offscreen with the audience only seeing hints of it - Hope checking Scott out and the end-of-movie kiss - sells their whole relationship as something that just happened that we don't need to see because it's not relevant to either character, especially the former. It was a really smart move.

Also while I wasn't a fan of how it started out.(Seriously lady he just got out of jail, and got fired from a job he is obviously trying to do right, you don't need to harp about child support so much. Let him at least have time with his daughter on her birthday.).By the end It's cool seeing a divorced/seperated family pairing actually work itself out well without the two parents just ending up back together.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 3, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

Also while I wasn't a fan of how it started out.(Seriously lady he just got out of jail, and got fired from a job he is obviously trying to do right, you don't need to harp about child support so much. Let him at least have time with his daughter on her birthday.).

I felt like this was a hold over from the old script where Scott is much more of a criminal type than robin hood type.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I hold on to the absurd hope that the actress who plays Cassie Lang will continue to progress in her career, eventually to reprise her role in 2025's Young Avengers as Stature.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Hell, even the kiss comes off more as a means to reset the comedic relationship between Scott and the Pyms, I'm fairly sure Hank's line about Scott being full of poo poo was the biggest laugh when I saw it in the cinema.

Similarly (Civil War mild spoiler) Bucky and Sam's reaction to Cap making out with Sharon was the single biggest laugh when I saw the movie in a packed house. Most other gags got scattered giggles, that one got belly laughs from the entire room. Excellent timing on the cut, and great reactions from Stan and Mackie.

I actually saw Civil War again tonight (double-billed it with Zootopia/Zootropolis (depending on where you live), which was pretty drat good also.), and, much bigger spoiler this time: I'm very impressed with how well put-together the fight at the climax is. It works as an action scene, as a catharsis for what the characters have learned AND as a fakeout for the comics nerds who think we know everything. The fight never leans on the last point, but it does subtly build to a fake-out when Cap busts the ARC reactor. It could so easily have been the unibeam going off and killing Cap and leading to Bucky carrying the shield, but they zag instead of zigging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every time i see someone whine about the lost Wright verison of Ant-Man, all I can think of is they're not mourning the loss of the actual film, its just they're thinking about how good Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and At Worlds End. Which is good, but don't let your love of other films make you hate on one he passed on.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I hold on to the absurd hope that the actress who plays Cassie Lang will continue to progress in her career, eventually to reprise her role in 2025's Young Avengers as Stature.

I don't want to wait that long to see Kate Bishop. Or Teddy and Billy.

• Locked thread