Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so is Teddy Carol's hypothetical son in this story or what are we thinking here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the consensus on Hancock as a superhero movie?

I haven't seen Hancock in a while, but I remember really liking the movie until a point. There's some shift in the movie where I think it had absolutely no idea of how to end and things just went stupid. I think once he reforms and tries to be a good drunken rear end in a top hat the movie sorta ran out of ideas. They couldn't end with that though, so I understand how they had an issue.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Saw Civil War today. A good movie, up there with Winter Soldier but maybe a touch lower.

I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague so Ant-man's giant-man scene was a nice surprise. I thought Spider-man was okay. I'd take him over Garfield, although in the one scene with his new suit where they didn't bother to CGI it, it looked terrible. Overall a good entertaining story with cool fight scenes which is pretty much what you want from a superhero movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TFRazorsaw posted:

so is Teddy Carol's hypothetical son in this story or what are we thinking here

I cannot think of a way to introduce teddy and billy in a way that makes sense without Marvel heavily embracing both Cosmic Marvel and Magic Marvel in the MCU, like in a way that puts Doctor Strange to shame.

Teddy's whole backstory requires him to be half-skrull. So yeah, we're looking at Carol paired off with Super Skrull (which is good since Super Skrull you know...loving rules). Change Carol to having the kid and to protect his identity/safety keeps him with a human foster parent while she goes off to protect the universe or something. Maybe just make her a lovely mom in general, foisting her half-Skrull kid off onto somebody else, dunno.

But even then I dunno if it'd work because you'd have to explain both who the Kree and the Skrull are and why they hate each other (maybe dovetail it with the Kree/Skrull war so it gives her a reason to be away from her kid and why she'd hide him out on earth in the first place).

Even in comparison to that though Billy's a goddamn mess. You're basically looking at a Vision/Scarlet Witch solo movie to set up their romance and even then it doesn't adequately loving explain what the gently caress happened to them so Billy materializes. It'll be a goddamn nightmare to bring Wiccan into the MCU in any way that makes sense.

I mean, it's loving worth it since Kieron's Young Avengers rules so goddamn hard and would make a perfect movie virtually unchanged. Vision/Scarlet Witch solo movie, Captain Marvel setting up the romance with CM2 paying it off leading in to Kree/Skrull war, Hawkeye solo replicating Fraction's run so we get Bishop Hawkeye, Loki solo with his death so we get young Loki. America Chavez introduced as time traveller on a mission in a post-credits sequence. Marvel Boy can get hosed, guy sucks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually haven't gotten to Gillen's Young Avengers, but is the Billy/Wanda dynamic really that important? Could he not just be a kid that got his magic powers in a similar experiment? I mean, Civil War implies that Wanda's barely out of her teens.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I actually haven't gotten to Gillen's Young Avengers, but is the Billy/Wanda dynamic really that important? Could he not just be a kid that got his magic powers in a similar experiment? I mean, Civil War implies that Wanda's barely out of her teens.

Yes, nobody has to be tied to their comic origins. There's no reason Billy couldn't have a completely different origin. And it'd probably be a good change as well.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gaz-L posted:

It is fairly important but one could get to the essence of the character without needing that specificity. Frankly, MCU Wanda is so different that I don't think there's any real value to trying to shoehorn her into having her magic babies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Billy is a Kree experiment with unnamed shapeshifting race (assuming the Skrulls are Fox's) and Teddy is some rando kid with magic Strange finds about and keeps an eye on like Tony did to Peter, and there you got it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

It's more that the essence of Billy and Teddy's relationship is one of opposites. Teddy's the illegitimate son of an inconceivable romance between two races who've been eternally at war, orphaned on a planet populated by a race that's not his own. He's grown up believing that's he's part of that race, and the only mother he's ever known is murdered in front of him as he discovers his true origins. And then he realizes that he's gay.

In contrast, Billy's the son of a magic witch and a crazy powerful android, who's destined to become one of if not the most powerful superbeings in the universe, worshipped as a living god. He grows up as a human the son of loving and supportive parents who embrace his discovery of his sexuality. He's given every possible advantage and privilege as a young gay man, while Teddy gets every possible disadvantage. And they're in one of the best and most committed relationships in the MCU. The discrepancy, the conflict, is what makes their relationship work as well as it does.

But yeah you can totally change Billy's backstory. Teddy's is pretty rock-solid though, I mean it's all very obvious symbolism but yeah the fact that he's a hated freak half-breed despised by everyone in either race he belongs to, and he's gay, drives his own internal conflicts.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I actually saw Civil War again tonight (double-billed it with Zootopia/Zootropolis (depending on where you live), which was pretty drat good also.), and, much bigger spoiler this time: I'm very impressed with how well put-together the fight at the climax is. It works as an action scene, as a catharsis for what the characters have learned AND as a fakeout for the comics nerds who think we know everything. The fight never leans on the last point, but it does subtly build to a fake-out when Cap busts the ARC reactor. It could so easily have been the unibeam going off and killing Cap and leading to Bucky carrying the shield, but they zag instead of zigging.

That sounds like a really lame ending. Even worse than just copying the comic where Cap dies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That sounds like a really lame ending. Even worse than just copying the comic where Cap dies.

That doesn't happen in the Civil War comic. It happens in Captain America right afterward. In Civil War he just surrenders and that's the end of the series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm glad they didn't do that. Cap dying was lame as gently caress and I like the way the movie ends.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The ending to the Civil War comic was kind of bad. The ending of the film is a little better.

One thing which doesn't sit right with me in the film is Tony going to a literal child and asking him to fight other superhumans. It's kind of worse in the context of the original story, where the SRA was supposed to protect inexperienced heroes and all that. I know the focus of the Sokovia Accords in Cap 3 is different, but it still seems somewhat gross.

On the subject of the Sokovia Accords, I do feel like the film falls down a little bit because they're barely mentioned as A Thing in the 2nd half of the film, once the focus shifts to chasing Bucky. The ending kind of inexplicably wraps up a bit too neatly also. Like, Tony goes apeshit because Bucky killed his parents, has a big punching fight with Cap and Bucky, then at the end is all smiley reading Cap's note. I don't know, you'd just expect there to still be some hard feelings there, despite Cap apologising for keeping that secret.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe I missed it but I don't remember Tony smiling at that letter. In fact when he's talking to Widow he's very clearly still bitter about the whole thing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe I missed it but I don't remember Tony smiling at that letter. In fact when he's talking to Widow he's very clearly still bitter about the whole thing.
That's possible. I'll have to watch it again!

Another thing, I do like the callback to First Avenger when Cap gets up, is obviously not in very good condition, but quips "I could keep doing this all day." It comes across as almost defiant in that moment, too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

irlZaphod posted:

The ending to the Civil War comic was kind of bad. The ending of the film is a little better.

One thing which doesn't sit right with me in the film is Tony going to a literal child and asking him to fight other superhumans. It's kind of worse in the context of the original story, where the SRA was supposed to protect inexperienced heroes and all that. I know the focus of the Sokovia Accords in Cap 3 is different, but it still seems somewhat gross.

It felt gross to me too and I hope the filmmakers are aware of that. This felt like a noticeably young and inexperienced spiderman who had no real business being there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

The talk to Widow is quite a bit before the climax wasn't it? And I think he was smiling at the letter. At the very least he's happy enough to play a joke on Ross while reading it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It absolutely was a wrong and terrible thing to do, I'm not sure how anyone could think we are supposed to think otherwise. Pretty sure Tony belatedly has a moment of clarity about it too, hence the "you're done" moment. He's just the kind of instinctive/reactionary dope who doesn't really think through his actions until the terrible consequences are right up in his face.

In terms of shots off the page, the bit where Spidey gets the overhead exitway dumped on him made for a nice little homage to the classic 'Spider-Man deadlifting a metric fuckton of poo poo' panel. Bit of a dick move by Cap to leave him to it though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

From his reaction afterwards it's clear that Tony didn't think it would get anywhere near as real as it did. Him not thinking things through is kind of the driving force for him in that film.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That doesn't really mesh with the "Futurist Tony Stark" though.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really liked it. The movie does a lot to build up the conflict between Cap and Iron Man. When it comes to their final fight, it makes it seem beforehand that Iron Man and Cap are finally on the same side again and going to take down the baddy before it then reveals that Bucky as the Winter Soldier killed Tony's parents and Cap knew. This which completely flips everything away from the ending that it seemed like it was headed towards, where the good guys join together to take down the bad guys, and instead Iron Man goes apeshit and all that conflict that had seemed like it was behind them leaps to the fore. It's a good fight, both in terms of the narrative involved which gives it some weight and the fight itself which is entertaining.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

That doesn't really mesh with the "Futurist Tony Stark" though.

Tony gets stuck in the past the whole movie, his motivations are guilt for past mistakes and acting on them without caution while Cap actually thinks of what's ahead. It's a pretty cool flip in their dynamics.

Tony is pretty messed up by the end of this, not cartoon villain like in the comic but you'd be hardpressed to find someone take his side

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, you guys are killing me. Just one more day!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tony is pretty messed up by the end of this, not cartoon villain like in the comic
Yeah I'm kinda glad that in the film he was unsettled by the idea of imprisoning heroes in a horrible Ultra-Max Security prison, unlike the comic. :v:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I found Tony to be quite a tragic figure in it. At the end where he's fighting Cap, who's wailing on him just to wear him down and stop him from murdering Bucky, even as irrational as his state of mind is, he still isn't trying to hurt Cap. He's trading blows but it's obviously not working and it's only because Friday is basically screaming at him to stop trying to hand-to-hand Captain loving America that he finally goes all out and blasts the poo poo out of him with everything he's got to get him out of the way.

And pre-emptive lol at any BEEP-BOOP types who invariably complain over him trying to kill Bucky under the circumstances. I'd easily bet plenty of far more emotionally stable people in the same situation would similarly freak the gently caress out if they discovered a beloved family member had been murdered and their assassin was standing 5ft away. Rationality has been shown to go out of the window for crimes far less than that.

Tony's not a bad person necessarily, just a flawed, misguided gently caress up who wants to do the right thing but invariably knee jerks and picks the worst option again and again. Even though I mostly agreed with Cap in the main, Tony was who I felt the most sympathy for.

In short, #TeamT'Challa all the way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Definitely, I think I forgot to mention but I agree with whoever up above said that the final scene with T-Challa and Zemo was really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Tony's not a bad person necessarily, just a flawed, misguided gently caress up who wants to do the right thing but invariably knee jerks and picks the worst option again and again. Even though I mostly agreed with Cap in the main, Tony was who I felt the most sympathy for.

Agreed, while I don't necessarily feel much sympathy for Tony I don't see how he could've done anything different given the circumstances.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What good is American global hegemony if we have to wait two extra weeks for our own goddamn movies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

zoux posted:

What good is American global hegemony if we have to wait two extra weeks for our own goddamn movies.

Blame the Russo brothers for making a good movie. If it was trash like BvS i'm sure it would've debuted in the U.S. so the bad word of mouth couldn't kill it as fast. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna see Civil War tonight hopefully, there's a single screening happening at my local theater. Waiting for this one's been killer.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
The Russo Brothers have confirmed that they're retitling 2018/2019's "Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and 2.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/avengers-infinity-war-1-2-to-be-retitled-confirms-russo-brothers

"Captain America: Civil War" directors Joe and Anthony Russo have now confirmed that they're retitling 2018/2019's "Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and 2," as to not anger fans over releasing the third "Avengers" epic in two parts.

"The movies are two very different movies," Joe told Uproxx.

When asked how the films will be labelled, Anthony said, "It is misleading."

Joe remarked, "The intention is we will change it, we just haven’t come up with the titles yet. But, yes, we will change it. And, yes, that is a scoop: we will retitle them."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: War of Infinity

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Avengers Disassembled and New Avengers.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Avengers 3: Infinity War
Avengers Forever. This is when the franchise starts to go down the Schumacher road and Iron Man gets little nipples on his armor.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

AngryBooch posted:

Avengers Disassembled and New Avengers.

:holymoley:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Avengers - Thanos Wins: Fatality and Avengers: Heroes Reborn

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Avengers: Everything Dies and Avengers: Everything Lives

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Avengers Go to Hollywood and Avengers Go to Paris.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Avengers HeartGold and Avengers SoulSilver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Avengers: Captain America: Civil War parts one and two

• Locked thread