Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The thing that really really confused me about the Watchmen film is that despite the hundreds of pages of arguing I have never seen Nite Owl seeing Rorschach's death brought up. It changes the scene completely, but squid chat is way more controversial apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Saw Age of Ultron. I like it a lot! I think I'm following the general consensus in that I liked it way more than the first one, but not as much as the "best" MCU films (e.g. Winter Soldier). It's filled with, what would you call it, sweet/cute moments, like Tony and Rhodes bringing out their armor fists at the same time. Ultron is great, just completely loopy and unhinged without even meaning to. The scene where he gives a guy a billion dollars, cuts off his arm, then sincerely apologizes about it gives so much characterization. On the other hand his actual plot... it's not close to being the lamest movie supervillain plot I've seen (God knows there's been a lot of terrible third act stake raisers) but the bottom line is I no clue what he was trying to do while watching the film. Reading some stuff of the internet afterwards helped it make more sense (my favorite interpretation is that, like Tony, he had the feeling that a huge, terrible threat was coming to Earth in the near future and, like Tony, didn't believe that current humanity could survive it) but it's still pretty flimsy.

I kinda wish Ultron could appear again (his presence is entertaining sort of like a classic Disney villain) though I know that's really unlikely given how much precedent there is for the MCU not having recurring villains (other than Loki).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rough Lobster posted:

I feel like when Wanda pulled out the main Ultron's heart thing and didn't smash it might hint that he's not forever dead. I mean he's a goddamn robot, he's gotta have a backup squirreled away somewhere.

There are a lot of hooks that could be used to justify him not being dead, I just don't expect any of them to be used. They just don't seem to have any interest in it. It's funny, back when Avengers 1 came out the MCU was thought to be unusual among superhero films for not always killing off the villain at the end (compare: every single Spider-Man film).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Question IRL posted:

Five will get you ten that at least one episode of Agents of Shield will have the team chase a laptop/USB drive with Ultron on it.

Nonsense; it'll be a stack of floppy disks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
There's an interesting article about the process of making Ultron from the concept art + mocap.

:stare:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Teenage Fansub posted:

The afterlife doesn't have to be dark. Hopefully it's very similar to Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

"This is most atypical."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Chaos Hippy posted:

Speaking as someone who's never seen it, unless the rest of the movie is exactly the opposite of the clip posted above, I highly doubt that.

The "comic book" cuts never stop for the entire film and it's goofy in a really bad way every time. I wish that Youtube video continued for like 5 seconds more because there's more.

Like, I know these sorts of forums are really firm on the "superhero movies shouldn't be afraid of superheroes/comic books" idea, but maybe they shouldn't go that far on the other end.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 3, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Got my AoU bluray today, and I had no idea that they actually had Spader on set acting out Ultron with a mo-cap suit on.

I love the way Ultron moves, he's just so languid and chill for a giant robot. If that's because of Spader then it was worth it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

People can be born with talent. They just hone it in with experience and practice.

What is even the point of arguing something like that?

I can't really comment on the issue because I haven't been keeping track and don't really know the distinction between this and the various other directing choices that have been called weird in the past. (Is there a difference if they were a TV director? Does that count Whedon?)

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 6, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It seems like if there's anything to mock about that poster it's Batman and Superman looking like roided balloons.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ignite Memories posted:

This is why it's frustrating you are accusing people of body shaming - because body shaming comes from a place of misogynistic criticism, the notion that everyone should look a certain way, when the actual motive is the desire for some characters to not look as conventionally sexy as they could possibly be.

I know I'm not responding to a hivemind here, but from every actress body casting thing I've ever seen it seems that the woman is always set up to lose. They're too pretty, or not pretty enough, too tall, or too short. I think this started to bother me with Gwendoline Christie's role in Game of Thrones, where she had criticism from both men and women with opposite arguments.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Stop bringing up GBS.

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make - that people have it out for actresses specifically? Plenty of people complained that Hugh Jackman is too tall to play wolverine.

edit: FWIW I think Gwendoline Christie was stupendous loving casting.

Pretty much. The Hugh Jackman example is different because he is too tall to ever be called short, so the movies just never brought up his height at all. And why not, nothing's a 100% accurate adaption anyway (though this causes its own nerd arguments). With discussions of actresses it feels like the metrics are a lot vaguer (and thus much harder to actually win).

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually based on previous Empire covers, I now think Joker is going to be amazing.

Someone post the one where Professor X looks like he's burning up a city with his rocket wheelchair.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

A lot of people didn't like that either

tony daniel sucked hard during batman RIP

Ignite Memories posted:

It doesn't make me angry to look at, but it also doesn't make me the least bit excited or interested in the character... In much the same way that when I see a real person dressed / tattooed like that, I am not interested in looking at or talking to that person.

Edit: I like the cover itself, but that's more due to the graphic design.

Just because something was published doesn't make it good. We'd all be making fun of rips-off-his-own-face joker if that was the one they chose to put in the movie.

I wouldn't be thrilled if Ant Man and The Wasp ended with the wasp being eaten by the blob, that's for sure. Bad decisions happen in comics too.

Now I'm wondering what would it be like if movies started adapting the absolute least popular versions of characters. Like Scarebeast or One-Face.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hakkesshu posted:

It's different but I don't think it's inspired. I don't really have much reverence for the character to begin with but whenever they're trying to make him "provocative" is when I like him the least.

I think this is a good point. People bring up Ledger's Joker but Gritty Hobo Joker was actually really new and surprising at the time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I stand by my statement that if you're gonna reach that far for the "Joker is so mutable and chaotic" thesis, Superman still trumps him, as does Batsy himself. It's a surface level reading of the character that falls apart when you think about it for more than 5 seconds.

Admittedly Batman has probably the second most popular "is wildly changing and mutable" interpretation. I mean there was a whole episode of The Brave and the Bold about it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know what to believe about an actor's ability to charm because after watching the first Fantastic Four film I thought it would be impossible for the guy playing Human Torch to ever be not-punchable.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Grendels Dad posted:

It's pretty funny that both posts that try to stem the tide of Shyamalan-level jokes got Shyamalan's name wrong.

There's three different spellings on this page alone. :v:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

theflyingorc posted:

lol i'd love to hear how the two situations are different

I'm pretty sure you're not expecting a serious answer but I'll go for it anyway: Shyamalan's name is obviously not in English so making fun of it on a English-speaking forum has vague "man, foreign names sure are cuh-raazy" vibes.

Blended Cucumber on the other hand is so English it becomes funny.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I know what you mean but you're giving me flashbacks to Rhino hype for Amazing Spider-man 2.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

Also we've had the typical comic book Lex in how many movies now? I'm interested in an alternate interpretation, though we'll have to see if Eisenberg's is good.

My experience with Superman comics is entirely second hand, but isn't the common observation that Gene Hackman Luthor isn't like any comic version (and Spacey was blatantly trying to be a clone of Gene Hackman). Movie Luthor is a vicious clown that's obsessed with real estate.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I didn't read whatever the supposed spoilers were and have only watched the trailers for BvS, but I feel like people get way too caught up on the destination and not the journey, especially when it comes to big studio comic book movies where certain plot points are pretty much a given. I feel like if, say, Lawrence of Arabia were released today, people would bitch on the internet about how the first five minutes spoils the movie. Not that I think this movie's gonna be anywhere close to that one, but people complaining that they've seen the whole movie from 5 minutes' worth of trailers is just ridiculous to me.

I guess it seems strange to me because a lot of these people seem to be setting themselves up for disappointment both if the leaks are true or fake.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

bobkatt013 posted:

Or Captain America was a member of the Fantastic Four?

Is it true that Chris Evans is the only guy to have fond memories of working on the Fantastic Four? Because that's hilarious.

Sockser posted:

Or how Captain America and Superman dated Ramona Flowers?

The second was actually perfectly appropriate casting since it came after Superman Returns, where Superman is literally a douchey ex-boyfriend that stalks his ex with X-ray vision.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 6, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Chaos Hippy posted:

The problem is that Raimi cast a thirty-year-old robot with the mannerisms of a weepy twelve-year-old in the role of a wisecracking teenage superhero.

Perhaps I'm being unfair. It might not be Maguire's fault. It could have been the script that didn't contain a single attempt at Spidey-style humour or wit. Or maybe Raimi just did a lovely job of directing his poorly chosen lead. Either way, the worst thing about Raimi's Spider-Man movies was Spider-Man. That's kind of an automatic fail in my eyes.

I thought the worst part was Mary Jane (because Mary Jane is unbelievablely terrible and the center of each film). I like pretty much everything about Raimi Spider-man expect for the actual leads, basically.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Not to mention how one of the most recurring sets in the films is Peter's lovely broken down apartment. Unless I'm just being naive and it should be even smaller and shittier to be realistic, I dunno.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
What I get from this and the Daredevil thread is that New York is hell on earth.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

BiggerBoat posted:

Is there a new Daredevil thread?

Nah I just didn't want to say "the Netflix Marvel thread" and lose the point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dauher posted:

What exactly about that Justice League could lead anyone to be deeming it "incredibly stupid and bad looking"? Its just concept art of a bunch of superheroes standing in a pretty standard super hero group pose.

That's the reason why people are calling it bad. It looks like a fanposter where a bunch of stock photos are arranged to stand next to each other.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Jagermonster posted:

It's really bothering me they're not revealing the antagonist. It's the whole impetus for putting the team together.

Honestly, why should they? Everyone complained when the BvS spelled out Doomsday's appearance.

Agreeing that the Suicide Squad trailer looks astoundingly better than any of the other promotional material so far.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
^^^ That's kind of terrible argument because Joker/villain avatars are incredibly popular.

Jagermonster posted:

Possibly. But compare that trailer to any marvel trailer where the threat/antagonist is presented.

Nobody likes the MCU villains outside of Loki though.

(I say this as someone who loves Ultron, but nobody likes them.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

theflyingorc posted:

the redtext should maybe clue you in that i didn't actually choose this avatar

That was when someone got incredibly mad at you in Games, right?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't believe this thread seriously went on about "SJWs calling everything problematic". What the gently caress dudes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AdjectiveNoun posted:

There's plenty more to the idea of the Mandarin than just being the Yellow Peril incarnate.

Name one thing, one single thing. Nobody ever brings up what they apparently like about the Mandarin so much outside of "oh racism is just so whimsical don't want to be grimdark like DC harhar."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
As an afterthought. Nobody cares about the Mandarin as a character outside of him apparently being a symbol of pepeople being really attached to racism. Does he even do anything cool in the comics?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TwoPair posted:

I didn't really see IM3 as a film with a political message, it's message seemed to be "BANG BOOM LOOK AN IRON MAN EXPLODED KABLAM SPECIAL EFFECTS".

e: but seriously I read IM3 as a character piece on Tony and his PTSD over NYC/getting over all his issues. I didn't really see where politics factored in to the equation unless you're trying to make a whole argument like this one.

It's less that the film revolves around a political message and more that it just has certain political implications by existing(since nothing exists in a vacuum). And oh boy do I have news to tell you (general you, not directly you) if you don't think a power hungry Chinese businessman villain wouldn't go without comment. Like people still make jokes about the Trade Federation in the Star Wars prequels.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Why is there this assumption that every actor casted for a genre film desperately wants everyone to forget about it? I mean a several year commit ment is heavy stuff but people remember what RDJ was most known for before Iron Man, right?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mochiballs posted:

I'm talking about race and not nationality. It seems I'm not going to get a lot of sympathy here about this, but I'd just like Asian comic book characters to be portrayed by Asian actors in movies instead of their stories changed to avoid having Asian actors.

People were trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you didn't mean "half Asian people might as well be white!" but whelp.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, has Deadpool ever not been annoying or wacky?

Isn't Deadpool's thing that he started off as a completely serious Deathstroke ripoff?

DrProsek posted:

That Variety review gives it a good score but the body of it is basically confirmation that Deadpool will be really annoying and wackyrandom. Like, it and other similar reviews are making me suspicious that all the people giving it good reviews are just into wackyrandom humor or at least not totally burned out on it.

Jesus dude, you make it sound like people liking different things is a conspiracy to hide the "real" good things.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 7, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gavok posted:

Lurdiak in the comments posted:

Hahaha you aren't joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, how crazy of me to have opinions on a movie based on a character I care about. No one else has ever done that. I am an abnormal weirdo.

Im going to add "opinions about movies" to the list of things I'm apparently not allowed to have according to really lovely BSS posters.

To be fair the non-Chris Sims part of Comics Alliance has (always been?) really really bad about playing things negatively all the time to be funny/interesting. There's literally a column that's "you liked this thing? Well gotcha!"

Also you haven't watched it either so that's kinda weird.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 11, 2016

• Locked thread