Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think that poster is awesome and I'm really excited for the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's a reasonably attractive trailer but not a particularly interesting one. There's a certain lack of dynamism to it, and as much as I basically worship Patrick Stewart's voice, I can listen to that reading much better material. Contrasted with the Winter Soldier trailer, there's not much to recommend it. Now, First Class also had completely lovely trailers and ended up being a lot of fun, but it coasted entirely on the strength of the cast, that might well be the saving grace of DoFP too.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

James Gunn just posted this to Twitter:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's also nice to see that Saldana appears to have put on some muscle mass, she's normally so painfully thin I wasn't sure how she'd pull off looking dangerous.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I thought he was doing all the mo-cap for Groot too. That really does count for a lot.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

He was just in a tv movie last year.

And a tremendously lovely comedy with DeNiro, Freeman and Kline.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

If we're nominating Sherlock actors then I'd rather have Andrew Scott as Strange, although I don't think Cumberbatch is a bad pick. I don't know if either can do American accents though.

Cumberbatch has done Southern accents in two films this past year (12 Years A Slave and August: Osage County) and handled them convincingly enough. They're closer to his natural accent than a more "default" American accent but I wouldn't think it beyond him.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Like Tropic Thunder, for example.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't know the pre-pro timelines but I suspect we'd still have his turn as Sherlock, which would do a lot for him, but there's no question that Marvel brought him to a level beyond.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

FoneBone posted:

I don't know - I'm doubtful that he would have been cast in Tropic Thunder if he hadn't been cast in Iron Man beforehand.

As near as I can tell the productions of the two had significant overlap so I don't know that the one had anything to do with the other.

Ignite Memories posted:

Honestly, I kind of feel like it was the other way around.

Robert Downey Junior made Marvel Studios' career.

To no small extent, yeah but I think that, ultimately, they made each other. It was one of those perfect moments where everything lines up and succeeds beyond all expectations. They needed each other and nerds are better off for it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Little Mac posted:

This thread is weird. Everyone seemed pretty hyped for this movie after that first trailer and now a magazine known for releasing bad and misleading images does so and everyone's like "what a shitfest."

I was almost as underwhelmed by the trailer for DoFP as I was for the First Class one. It lacked any sense of dynamism or pacing, especially as compared to the Winter Soldier trailer which came out just before, though it was certainly a step up from First Class' "the X-Men watch TV news" trailer. Everything about this film smacks of a flailing desperation to beat Marvel at its own game but without any real understanding of why the MCU is as wildly successful as it is. And frankly, I don't know that I have any faith left in Singer; he hasn't made a good film since X2, 11 years ago (and I didn't mind Superman Returns but it was far from a home run.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It strikes me that lesson Fox, and frankly DC, have taken from the MCU is more heroes = more money. They see the end result of The Avengers and ignore the five years of work leading up to it, they forget that The Avengers was the payoff to a lot of work and not a quick cash in. First Class and Man Of Steel: On The Knight Shift are jumping to the endpoint without any build up. It's understandable that they're blinded by a $1.5 billion box office take, but given how much Fox is pouring into DoFP, it's going to be really easy for a modest response to become a proportional bomb.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

Regardless of how DOFP does, anyone thinking that Fox would sell the rights back to Marvel is probably going to be sorely disappointed. Fox would rather make a dozen underperforming X-Men films before they let Disney profit off of a single one.

Oh, no question. The franchise would have to poo poo the bed with the lights on before there's any chance they'll relinquish the rights. It would take a merger or a major change up of studio execs, or some bizarre rights swap for them to give them up willingly.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When you consider that Singer produced and co-wrote First Class and is bringing in much of the cast from that movie, this statement doesn't make a lot of sense.

Singer only has a story credit for First Class which is rather nebulous in terms of his actual involvement on that end of things. It could mean as little as suggesting that Magneto goes to South America at one point.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 28, 2014

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I always figured Metropolis was supposed to be Chicago since it's the closest major city to Kansas

Back in the 80's at least, Central City was the Chicago analog in DC. At least that's what the old West End RPG lead me to believe. They even had a version of the Cubs.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The simple fact that they've managed to make The Falcon look as cool and as plausible as they have is to be commended.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

prezbuluskey posted:

Well characters like Batman and James Bond are bigger than any actor who has played them. With Ironman, RDJs depiction is much more important than the character.

Bond is the slightly better analogy, but the MCU is going to end up with a critical difference; the characters are going to be recast but the continuity won't be scrapped. RDJr will eventually age out of the role or get too expensive or any number of possibilities and Marvel will need a new Stark. They're not going to reboot the franchise though, they won't need to. Like Banner and Rhodey before, they'll keep the same cinematic history but use new actors to keep the universe flowing. Anything else would be inconceivably stupid.

Also, everything about GotG looks loving amazing and I can't wait to see it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Who says the continuity won't be scrapped? It's not like it hasn't happened in superhero films already. They'll do it just as soon as they hit a slump.

Because that means they won't be building on the success and continuity of the four (and growing) amazingly successful franchises under the MCU umbrella. Resetting would be beyond counterproductive for them and runs counter to everything Marvel has done for the past six years

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Time will tell, I suppose. I don't foresee it going that way, not anytime soon at least. 15 years from now, who knows? That's too far out to speculate. In the shorter term, the MCU will turn 10 before too long and I don't expect any reboots out of it, they're not going to do anything that that diminishes the marketing power of the third highest grossing film of all time. Maybe after three Avengers films and at least trilogies of the constituent franchises, maybe, but not before that.

The thing is, they've built this amazing momentum and not only would it be a financially stupid gamble it would also be really difficult to pull off, given the way they're constantly greenlighting MCU films. They might rehash storylines, sure, but given how long it takes to produce a film, especially a Marvel film, they've got years worth of material to draw from and remold for screen. The same impulse that causes comics to rehash and replay and reboot is the same impulse that I think will shield the MCU from restarting; there's just no incentive for them to do it. It's easier and more profitable to keep on the way they're going and recast as necessary and until they have a series of profound bombs, I just do see them changing course.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I've been rereading the X-books too and what really struck me other than:

bobkatt013 posted:

Also all the bad guys would fall in love with her. I am rereading it and Doom and Dracula both want to make her their brides.

Seriously, it's so amazingly soap opera I can't even believe it sometimes. What I came to really enjoy about Storm was her rejection of that goddess-like serenity and the embracing of her emotions and humanity, which led to the mohawk era. Halle Berry's Storm didn't even reach serene, she was just flat.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Just saw Winter Soldier and it's loving excellent; it's been a long time since I saw a superhero film and was genuinely unsure of what was going to happen and that was a delight. My only quibbles with it are that some of the CGI/CGI-enhanced backgrounds looked less real than many of the Marvel films before and I wish that the fights weren't filmed in the modern shaky-cam style, especially since the fight work is really good. I want to be able to see good fight dammit. I also thought that Sebastian Stan looks so different as the Winter Soldier than he does as Bucky that I can't imagine Cap recognizing him, since I as an audience member couldn't see much resemblance. That's probably all just my issue though. I do have a slight problem with some of Widow's background in that she was seven years old when the KGB was disbanded, and I just can't believe that a seven year old would be an operative of any sort outside of some vague intel gathering, and definitely not the way she's made out to be. It's minor but that took me out of the moment.

Other than that though, I loved it, it's daring in ways I was not expecting Marvel to go to. Redford was amazing, of course, and even though his role as the villain was completely obvious, the connection to Hydra took me by surprise. I was also surprised with Johansson's performance because I really liked her in the role. I don't know what changed but I finally saw her bringing some acting game to the part.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I kept meaning to mention this, but drat did Winter Soldier's robot arm look good. If I had not seen the set photos of the pre-cgi arm, I'd think it was a practical effect.

Not only were the effects for it excellent, the logic of how it worked was excellent. I loved that it wasn't hand-waved into being a generic super-strong limb but actually had a clear means of operation, it was a tool not just a McGuffin.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Interesting that the Quicksilver picture has him listed as "Pietro Maximoff" and "Quicksilver;" I thought Fox only had the rights to one of those names and Marvel had the other.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

zoux posted:

Also, are there any mutants that have manifested their X-gene at birth? In reference to that baby Colossus pic there.

Nightcrawler and Multiple Man are two that immediately come to mind. Franklin Richards maybe?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

First Class was a mediocre script rescued by a few excellent casting choices and also January Jones who was dreadful. The villains who weren't Kevin Bacon were entirely superfluous as were most of the other good guy mutants. I really enjoyed the film but but not so much as to overcome my lack of faith in Singer and how crowded the film seems.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lobok posted:

Seriously though, who is that actually supposed to be? Joker? Is it just a cool thing to have it stuck in the wall or is it supposed to be someone else who has super strength or super-card-throwing abilities?

It just means that Ricky Jay is in the movie, which means David Mamet is doing rewrites. Which would be the strangest goddamned thing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I wish Marvel had the X-Men rights because then they could do Captain Britain and then Excalibur.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

zoux posted:

Does anyone else get the sense from the marketing that they are going to make Groot kind of a gentle giant that fights when he has to when in the comics he is...hella not that.

Well he is described by Star Lord as being one of the "two thugs" so there's some reason to hope.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, say what you want about that production, but making Dogberry and Verges wannabe TV cops is god-damned inspired.

The only way to play a Clown in a comedy is to play it completely straight and Fillion loving nailed it. Best Dogberry I've ever seen.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

zoux posted:

The new hot rumor is that he's the voice of Cosmo.

Fillion just shot this down on Twitter.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

You know, Batista actually sounded pretty ok in that admittedly tiny-rear end clip. He actually successfully delivered a joke!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Man, I had a totally different experience with the preview; I couldn't be much more hyped for it. I was really happy with Rocket overall, the CGI is incredibly expressive and Cooper's performance was a huge help to it; it had all his usual charisma and was just very present in the moments in super actory way that I can't quite put into words. Groot looks great, Quill is spot on, Gamora didn't have a ton to do but what there was worked for me (I do wish she'd bulked up more though, she's not as waify as she's looked in the past, but dammit I'd have loved to see Saldana have gone the full Linda Hamilton T2 route.) Batista is definitely the wild card; he was better than I was worried he'd be and he had some background physicality that was actually quite effectively funny, but his humorless, literalist shtick could get old really fast.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah, that moment wasn't as funny without the blocking graphic, and his line about not knowing how the machine works makes so much less sense when he's referring to his own loving hand.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I heard tale that you people existed. Are you the world's only Vision fan too?

I've always liked Vision. I like Quicksilver too after reading the early run of X-Factor :colbert:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Havoc904 posted:

Do we know who is playing Bova yet or is that going to be the big surprise?

Well we know Andy Serkis is doing mocap for something...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's funny how so much of the internet was mocking Days of's Quicksilver. Then he ended up being the best part of the movie, and Avengers Quicksilver just looks boring as hell.

On the other hand, the DoFP Quicksilver screwed with the flow of time instead of just being super fast so he was wholly inauthentic :colbert:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The biggest problem with the Deadpool footage is that it gives no indication of what a live-action Deadpool movie would look like. I understand the choice to make it all CGI, but it's useless because we have no way of knowing how he'd look with actual humans. Of course, he looks better than the 'humans' in the clip but that's really a value-neutral statement since the whole thing looks like a high-quality video game cutscene. It's ok for building buzz I suppose, but meaningless in terms of showing anything about an actual movie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Phy posted:

I'm 3/4 expecting that Yondu's arrow is just controlled by the whistling, and Steve Miller's Jungle Love will be on Awesome Mix Vol. 2

Well that's how it works in the comics.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gavok posted:

You guys keep bringing up Yondu's role in the movie, but all I read is

Yeah, what the hell was that about? I mean, it was entertaining as hell but is that a reference to something or just a thing that happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

This stuff warms my heart, good job Marvel :unsmith:

Granted, these are probably near the bottom, but!

As you can tell, it's part of the Marvel section, which is probably in the back third of the credits but is by no means buried. If you're a credits reader like I am it's really well-placed and draws the eye immediately. I was really happy to see those two lines.

• Locked thread