Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Are heated floors pretty standard over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Pretty much yeah, can't remember any new houses where we would've installed radiators. Floor heating is just a lot more energy efficient since you dont need to keep the temperature as high to feel warm and basically the only way to go if you ever want to take advantage of geothermal heating

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

punakone posted:

You, you are the fucker moving out from the city ruining my countryside with your suv and or holier than thou economy car. Or you cant take care of your dogs so when ours protects its house you get mad. Or you cause rezoning of traffic signs making stuff stupider cause off course this big new development is more important for ease of traffic. And your kids are hooligans too with their mopeds and vandalising :argh:

But seriously, you seem to be going well! Having your own House is best and last i visited Maalahti it was really beautiful. I lived in the countryside aswell in a different municipality where i encountered all that.

Actually I'm moving back out to where I came from. I grew up far more rurally than this. Little village of 10 houses near Hinjärv, 5km to the nearest real place with a few hundred people and an actual store. My grandparents lived 200 meters away & where old school farmers, my childhood was like a series of scenes from that old 1920s comic "out of our way" they post in BSS.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Just a Fish posted:

Pretty much yeah, can't remember any new houses where we would've installed radiators. Floor heating is just a lot more energy efficient since you dont need to keep the temperature as high to feel warm and basically the only way to go if you ever want to take advantage of geothermal heating

Well they do install Ground heat exchange pumps in old houses with radiators too, not as efficient they say, but a substansial upgrade.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Just a Fish posted:

There's the thing about radiators, that their placement tends to be really inefficient. Floor heating is much better at distributing heat equally throughout rooms.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I guess I'm just used to furnaces and forced air being the norm, I'd kill for a heated bathroom floor.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just don't do like my cousin who went for electric floor heating when he built his house. 800 euro electric bill in january whoops.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just don't do like my cousin who went for electric floor heating when he built his house. 800 euro electric bill in january whoops.

I bet the cat liked the warm floor though.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Actually I'm moving back out to where I came from. I grew up far more rurally than this. Little village of 10 houses near Hinjärv, 5km to the nearest real place with a few hundred people and an actual store. My grandparents lived 200 meters away & where old school farmers, my childhood was like a series of scenes from that old 1920s comic "out of our way" they post in BSS.

Haha, seems like youre even more from the sticks than I am. But yeah, that was mostly hyberbole, but theres way too many memorie of yelling at the people who moved away from the city to the countryside and decide that its a good idea to blaze through the 30kmh zone with really bad views from yards to the road and someone might just be backing out on the road from one of those. I hated that.

But wow, Ive only driven through Maalahti going to Vaasa during midsummer and its seriously gorgeous looking place, though Hinjärv doesnt ring a bell for me, and from your pics your house seems to be on a good spot aswell, hopefully all will go well and the builders will not fleece you. Ive heard that happen a couple of times aswell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Long Francesco posted:

I guess I'm just used to furnaces and forced air being the norm, I'd kill for a heated bathroom floor.

If your bathroom isn't huge, electric floor heating isn't too terrible to pay for. Throw that under some tile and you'll be really happy.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Well they do install Ground heat exchange pumps in old houses with radiators too, not as efficient they say, but a substansial upgrade.
Weell.. if you absolutely have to renew your current heating system and there is no district heating available then maybe yes, but i kinda doubt that it would ever pay itself back.
And sorry, i wont siderail the thread any further, just want more pics! :D

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My parents replaced the electric boiler in our house (in Sweden) with geothermal heating a few years back, keeping the radiators. The electricity savings have offset the capital investments of the system after like 5 years or so.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm afraid I haven' been able to take pics for a few days now since I've come down with the flu, had a fever of 38 degrees (100,4F) last night and I'm clogged up with mucus. Can't even visit the children incase I infect them. Just sitting at home, passing the time and drinking homemade sea buckthorn juice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Not much news on this front, the metal roof is up on the garage but construction seems to have slowed down, probably for the concrete pouring which is today.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm sorry, I may have missed this but why are you building your house separate from your garage? When I was house hunting here in the US an attached garage was an absolute must. Having to walk out in the cold/rain to your car really blows.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

My guess would be that he doesn't want to pay to heat the garage, which makes sense.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PopeCrunch posted:

My guess would be that he doesn't want to pay to heat the garage, which makes sense.

If it's attached it doesn't need to be heated. It's not like we have any vents going into ours but its just nice to not have to trudge through muck or rain or even have to put on shoes when I realize I forgot my purse in the car.

Unless Finland has some weird rule that all attached structures must be heated - if that is so, carry on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tigntink posted:

If it's attached it doesn't need to be heated. It's not like we have any vents going into ours but its just nice to not have to trudge through muck or rain or even have to put on shoes when I realize I forgot my purse in the car.

If it detached you also have:

1.) safety: a storage enclosure attached to a living space. In most code scenarios this requires a 2 hour fire barrier (in the US, this has been watered down to two sheets of 5/8" drywall).
2.) comfort/safety: fumes and noise. Whether it's exhaust or something functional you are doing in the garage (painting, cleaning with solvents) it's not getting vented directly back into your home when you open the man door to the inside.
3.) noise: If you use your garage as more than a storage space or to park cars and don't live alone this is a big deal.
4) +10 MAN CAVE.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 26, 2013

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mostly it was just a matter of not finding the right model of house that had such a configuration. I simply liked the look of this house more than the ones that had attached garages and then I felt the separate garage solution looked nicer too so I went with that. Walking over to the car isn't that big a deal to me, and the garage will be unheated except one room I will turn into a hobby room.

When I grew up we didn't really use the main shower in the house but we used the one in the furnace room in another building that heated the greenhouses, so every morning before going to school I'd step outside and walk 50 yards to the other building in sandals and a bathrobe, even if it was -20C (OK I'd slip into my ~*nokian rubber boots*~ if it was that cold). At least the furnace room had the upside that it was always 30 degrees C minimum. I guess after doing that for most of my life walking to the car in the cold isn't a big deal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

When I grew up we didn't really use the main shower in the house but we used the one in the furnace room in another building that heated the greenhouses, so every morning before going to school I'd step outside and walk 50 yards to the other building in sandals and a bathrobe, even if it was -20C (OK I'd slip into my ~*nokian rubber boots*~ if it was that cold). At least the furnace room had the upside that it was always 30 degrees C minimum. I guess after doing that for most of my life walking to the car in the cold isn't a big deal.

Nokian makes boots? Holy gently caress, I've got to try to find some over here in Canada. The winter tires have been a godsend, I can only imagine their boots would be equally awesome.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah I actually bought a pair of Nokian Naali boots last night, the warmest winter boots I know of, it's what we where issued in the army (conscription in finland) and they where some solid boots. I needed some quality boots for later when I'll be outside and working on the garage (we're doing the finishing work ourselves there, putting up the paneling and doors and such).

Nokian Kairat are a slimmer/lighter version for people who don't need extreme cold protection, lots of people say they're good for most winter conditions, but my feet always freeze easily so I went for the best.

Some more photos of the house, windows have been assembled and it looks like the roof has had more work done on it:

I couldn't get inside for a look because the doors are barred with plastic sheets to protect against the wind:

Behind the house:

All those boards running up and down across the walls are what the paneling will be attached to later, that way you get an airgap between the outermost layer and the rest of the wall.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
This thread makes me want to build a house :)

How is the electrical system planned and built up? Do you have any nice drawings to share with us? Will you have LAN cabling built in?

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
Lookin' good; glad to see the storm didn't set things back too much.

And that you're feeling better. Keep up the good work!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Are unattached garages really that weird? I'd say only about half the houses around here that have a garage have an attached garage (US, Midwest). My parents have a separate garage. Is it really a deal-breaker to be out of the human-controlled environment for the 15 second walk from the garage to the house?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

EssOEss posted:

This thread makes me want to build a house :)

How is the electrical system planned and built up? Do you have any nice drawings to share with us? Will you have LAN cabling built in?

Yeah I got an electrical plan here but it's in finnish, but gigabit ethernet will be installed in most rooms. Fiberoptic cable will come in near the door and I hope to put the network central there.

timg'd for size:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Today we overcome a great obstacle that's been bothering me the whole week. Had real problems all week trying to get the hoses that connect the heat pump to the borehole, the hoses are supposed to go in through tubes that go underground and then under the foundation but the guy who was there to hook everything up said it was impossible, the bend in the tubes was too extreme, in fact it went in like 2 meters then back out and then up through the floor. So instead of a gentle L bend like the plans said, it was more of an S shape.

But the guy who actually laid down the tubes and other earth work, insisted this was fine and it could be done. Well I doubt it's fine and that this was meant to be like this. But if we could get them through then we could avoid the alternative, which is having the hoses come up outside the wall and then go through the wall itself. This would require us to build an insulated box outside the wall and the guy who laid down the tubes just didn't think it was good and kept insisting we could get them through.

(edited above for clarity, I was a bit tired last night)

So today we dug them up (again, by hand, I am sore) and he took the hoses home, washed them off and kept them in a boiler room to warm and soften them. Then again at 19:30 we went back and started working and through some immense effort that left my underclothes entirely soaked in sweat we where able to get them through. Hallelujah! I am seriously happy we where able to get this done and we wouldn't have to rely a makeshift solution that's usually done on older building that get these pumps installed later on.

Some pictures from earlier today:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 2, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You have a roof! Yay! Look like all you need for roofing now is the portico.

Good job sucking it up on the geothermal...or were those radiant pipes?. Either way, a little pain now make it a lot better for a long time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Motronic posted:

Good job sucking it up on the geothermal...or were those radiant pipes?. Either way, a little pain now make it a lot better for a long time.

I'm not sure what you mean by radiant pipes in this context?

We got a borehole that's 130 meters deep and a loop of anti-freeze liquid travels through this hole, sucking heat out of the ground water, then it goes up, through the hoses we had all this trouble with, into the house and then to the heat pump in the corner which through some real nifty heat exchanging can extract every bit of heat from the water, which we then use to heat all our water as well as the hydronic floor heating.

This is what the setup looks like:

This system was ordered as a package deal along with the house, which is why I favored these builders as well, less to hire out to 3rd parties the better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm not sure what you mean by radiant pipes in this context?

OK, so that was the geothermal loop.

"Radiant" (heat) loops would be the ones that were laid down and attached to the welded wire on the ground before concrete. The loops that get the water (or antifreeze mixture) that actually heats your floor.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, the tubes are part of the overall loop. They where a real PITA to get through those tubes, I still got sore muscles.

Nothing much new seems to have happened at the site so far, some cabling on the inside and today we got a delivery of panels. I decided to take all the waste insulation (rock wool and glass wool) from the house and install them in the garage walls. Free insulation after all. Gonna buy a few extra bales or it won't be enough for all of it, but close. No reason to not insulate the garage when I can get most of it for free. That will probably help keep the room I do want insulated to keep its heat better.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

No reason to not insulate the garage when I can get most of it for free. That will probably help keep the room I do want insulated to keep its heat better.

In that case, double check that you got enough ventilation. Otherwise you might run into some problems with moisture.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
drat that's a clean construction site :aaa:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Great thread OP. It's very fun watching what looks like a great little house come together. That and Finnish construction / layout, etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Its going to be a bit sparse with updates for a while now as we are down in Helsinki with the younger twin who is scheduled for surgery on tuesday. My parents are managing the site meanwhile, last i heard the builders where putting up more insulation on the walls, then a layer of plywood and finally a layer of drywall.

So the anatomy of the wall is like this:
Paneling
Air space
Drywall
Glass wool insulation
Plastic moisture barrier
Glass wool insulation
Plywood
Drywall

That's a lot of layers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just an update to let you know I'm still alive. We've been down here in Helsinki since December 6th, no real idea when we can go back home, we'd been hoping before christmas but that might not happen. Open heart surgery does take a while to recover from but he's been doing real well.

I've been real annoyed at being stuck down here while the construction is going ahead without me. My parents are helping out but no photos have been taken of all the new stuff that's been done so my photo journal is going to have a big gapwhen I get back.

So far they've finished putting in all the interior walls and stuff, they're now putting up the panelling on the outside also (nearly complete), elctricians are there as well and they're now doing more work on the roof I believe. This thing is gonna be almost complete when we get back. :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well speak of the devil. Not 10 minutes after this post I get an email from my parents with a bunch of fotos of the house. Cell phone quality but it's something:

Some interior shots.

Future living room, though there is a wall missing so you're also seeing a bedroom.

I believe that's the hall, bedroom and the smaller bathroom:

Brick walls for the bathroom/sauna

Electrical stuff

God the new flickr interface is making it really hard to share photos...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wow, this looks amazing! Hope you get home soon for more updates.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well we finally got back late last night, no real new stuff is happening at the construction site because it's christmas and everybody have taken a longer holiday, after new years it will pick up again. I just took some better quality pictures of the site this time:

Kitchen:

Windows, shows the "layering" of the wall:

Another close up for those who might appreciate details:

Side view:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ohhh...I though it was metal siding.

How is that going to be finished? Is it covered with something or just painted?

Overall, it's looking really good. Now comes the slow part where it won't really seem like progress is being made. Framing/roofing/siding is so much more immediate gratification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Motronic posted:

Ohhh...I though it was metal siding.

How is that going to be finished? Is it covered with something or just painted?

Overall, it's looking really good. Now comes the slow part where it won't really seem like progress is being made. Framing/roofing/siding is so much more immediate gratification.

Yeah we're big on wood as building material here. It's just got a base coat of paint right now, later towards spring we'll paint it.

• Locked thread