Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I'm astonished you can get away with a wood house in such cold weather. In the UK everything is made of red brick. I've never seen a house not made of stone or brick in real life.

Also intensely jealous of your floor heating/cooling rather than my non-functional radiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

I'm astonished that you think wooden houses are unsuited to cold weather. If that were the case, why would wooden houses be so common in areas colder than the British Isles? As far as I know, this idea that wooden houses are cold is a strange urban myth unique to the UK.

*shrug* mostly because there's the idea that heavier = better insulated, though given brick has higher thermal conductivity than wood as evidenced by it being cold to the touch, it's fairly logical that wood would work fine if not better.

As most of what we have to deal with is rain I guess that might be why everything's brick over here.

As before I really wish we could have that floor heating. I don't think anyone builds houses with anything except a gas boiler and radiators over here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think the thermal mass of bricks would work against it when it gets cold for long times (like here it can be -20 -30 at its coldest) unless it was insulated from the outside by something that has more insulative properties, like wood. It works if it gets warm during the days, but it doesn't even do that here. Last december we clocked 6 hours of sunlight, yes for the whole month.

That's the case with the concrete foundation, loads of insulation and in the ground, and then more insulation on the inside and another slab that becomes the inside floor is then floating on insulation and surrounded by it on all sides. Because if it gets contact with the outside it's gonna be hell in winter even with heating.

That was another oddity, your house seems to be slightly raised off the ground? We don't do that here, at least not as much, there's about 10/15cm between the floor and the ground and I think that's mostly to keep surface water getting in. The basic floor is usually very cold.

• Locked thread