Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Saeku posted:

I just ran into one of my profs at a club where we were both dressed to impress, gently caress I'm glad it's the end of the term or it woulda made poo poo WEIRD

For some inexplicable reason finding out that your teachers and professors are actually human is a profound shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For some inexplicable reason finding out that your teachers and professors are actually human is a profound shock.

When you spend most of your years in the school system as subordinates, with your teachers as authority figures over you, having the power gap close can indeed be a profound shock.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm not surprised that my nebbish middle-aged math prof has a life outside his job. I am surprised that he's a house DJ.

Likewise, he knows me as the type-A overachiever. I was getting wild on the dance floor in platform shoes and a vulture feather cape. Bit of a different impression.

After I graduate in three weeks I'll show up at his shows :sotw:

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

When you spend most of your years in the school system as subordinates, with your teachers as authority figures over you, having the power gap close can indeed be a profound shock.

Wait till you see how much we drink!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's not always a shock cause you found out they're human, sometimes cause you're profoundly weirded out. One time while I was at work (grocery store), one of my teachers came in. I thought it was pretty obvious from class I disliked him, but he was bein super chummy. The weird part was that he was wearing loving super tight bicycle shorts.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

smug n stuff posted:

Had a GenEd writing/presenting course last quarter. There were 4 main assignments--a short oral presentation, a longer essay, a "podcast," and a longer oral presentation. These were spread through the quarter. I never received feedback or grades on the final product of any of the four assignments--literally the only grade I got in that class was the final grade--no idea how it came to be, no idea what the weight of the assignments, nothing. For all I know the prof didn't even read my essay or listen to the bullshit "podcast".
Apparently the prof's been suffering from cataracts lately, making it harder for her to do stuff, but still. It's pretty frustrating to put work into stuff and see literally zero evidence that the prof's even looked at it.

One of my profs last semester was kind of like this. She (or the TAs) would grade weekly assignments, but we'd have no idea what we did right or wrong. Just a number out of 3. The assignments themselves were simple enough, a couple paragraph write up on whatever that weeks theme was. They were supposed to help us prepare for the final paper but when you get "2/3" back and no idea why, it was pretty useless.

She also didn't have any exams, just these assignments and an open-ended final paper. Not having to study for exams was nice and gave me time for my other classes, but the lack of any real feedback was insanely frustrating.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

So in my microprocessor system design class, so much poo poo has been incredibly slap-dash and/or last minute. We had to give a 5 minute talk about a topic related to embedded systems, alright that's fine, but at no point did we ever get any instructions on what to do. No format, not grading rubric, no information other than "5 minute talk with slides." Now we just got an assignment to make a poster for our projects, that's due 3 days after it was assigned, when we're all frantically trying to get our projects to just work. Then we're told we won't get reimbursed for the cost of printing it, even though it's a required part of project. :vd:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

OniPanda posted:

So in my microprocessor system design class, so much poo poo has been incredibly slap-dash and/or last minute. We had to give a 5 minute talk about a topic related to embedded systems, alright that's fine, but at no point did we ever get any instructions on what to do. No format, not grading rubric, no information other than "5 minute talk with slides." Now we just got an assignment to make a poster for our projects, that's due 3 days after it was assigned, when we're all frantically trying to get our projects to just work. Then we're told we won't get reimbursed for the cost of printing it, even though it's a required part of project. :vd:

If you saw my huge vent a couple of posts above, I'm basically having that problem in genetics class. I have learned nothing in that class, as his assignments fluctuate wildly. I've been getting perfects in his class ever since I stopped giving a poo poo about it. It's a joke. Maybe you might luck out and the profs. might be lenient on grading. But with that cost comment, that probably won't happen, yeesh. Sorry you're going through that.

Aside from that, I feel like this whole semester has been a waste. My environmental microbio class is a little loose in structure and basically everything is projects, so it's kinda like "do well on the project and forget about it". My organic chemistry II class is brutal, I pretty much zone out, but it's not really professor or the class that is the problem. I just don't find the subject well...fun and if I don't find it fun, my enthusiasm goes out the window. Still passing, but I loving know I could be doing better if I gave a poo poo. Immunology is the only decent class, actually structured and ordered, very heavy in detail and quite interesting, gotta catch up on stuff though. Just had no energy, really. Anxiety is in check though and my depression is lighter, plus my project is finally starting to go up to speed. Or so I think, just nervous about laying it out and trying to present on it really. Meh.

Lamech posted:

Wait till you see how much we drink!

The grad student that I work with in my lab told me this and at first I thought he was exaggerating. loving go to a conference three weeks ago and I see these distinguished scientists slamming drinks as if they found out they're getting divorced or dying. Every professor must have cirrhosis before receiving their PhD.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

If you saw my huge vent a couple of posts above, I'm basically having that problem in genetics class. I have learned nothing in that class, as his assignments fluctuate wildly. I've been getting perfects in his class ever since I stopped giving a poo poo about it. It's a joke. Maybe you might luck out and the profs. might be lenient on grading. But with that cost comment, that probably won't happen, yeesh. Sorry you're going through that.

My Cal 3 class and my thermo classes this semester have turned into similar disasters. The professor in the thermoclass just scrolls through his badly written PDF notes that essentially come down to formulas to know. He regularly cancels class or dismisses it after less than half an hour. The results are essentially he's teaching how to plug and chug. I'm getting absolutely nothing out that class.

Calculus is even worse. The teacher has undergone a bit of mental breakdown. That's not an exaggeration, after being missing over a week (and not telling anyone including the department they wouldn't make it for the first class they missed) they came back and explained they had been undergoing treatment for their mental illness and proceeded to share way too much information about them. The class has been completely disrupted and we're missing huge chunks of vital information. The TA is trying to salvage the semester as best they can (and they're getting a double load of the end of semester treats that I give out for doing so), but it's a complete disaster.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Random Stranger posted:

My Cal 3 class and my thermo classes this semester have turned into similar disasters. The professor in the thermoclass just scrolls through his badly written PDF notes that essentially come down to formulas to know. He regularly cancels class or dismisses it after less than half an hour. The results are essentially he's teaching how to plug and chug. I'm getting absolutely nothing out that class.

Calculus is even worse. The teacher has undergone a bit of mental breakdown. That's not an exaggeration, after being missing over a week (and not telling anyone including the department they wouldn't make it for the first class they missed) they came back and explained they had been undergoing treatment for their mental illness and proceeded to share way too much information about them. The class has been completely disrupted and we're missing huge chunks of vital information. The TA is trying to salvage the semester as best they can (and they're getting a double load of the end of semester treats that I give out for doing so), but it's a complete disaster.

Yeah, it's a goddamn shame when it's a subject you want to learn but you end up paying for drivel. Thankfully, the genetics class is mostly poo poo I do in my lab anyways, so I actually didn't miss anything. But some additional background information wouldn't have been bad. :eng99:

I think the only good thing this school year is being in a research lab. Opened my eyes to what I could expect in grad school or phd nonsense. The juicy, juicy gossip, goddamn.

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Apr 17, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thermo continues to provide the fun. On a test I took Friday, one person completed the exam before time was called. It was three questions long and I had just started the proper work on the third problem when it ended. The class average was 61, I got a 57 since I got 0/35 points on that last problem. Personally, I think I should have gotten some points on that last problem since I had derived some properties before it was over and wrote down a path to follow to solve it, but I'm not arguing over it since even with a wild curve I'm not saving this grade. The final will replace the lowest exam grade (and the class only has exam grades because it's a terrible, terrible class). What a poo poo show.

But wait, there's more! Four classes, so four finals. A whole week to take them in, right? Which is why my finals are Monday 3 to 5, Monday 5:15 to 7:15, Thursday 8 to 10, Thursday 10:15 to 12:15. :smithicide:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Thermo continues to provide the fun. On a test I took Friday, one person completed the exam before time was called. It was three questions long and I had just started the proper work on the third problem when it ended. The class average was 61, I got a 57 since I got 0/35 points on that last problem. Personally, I think I should have gotten some points on that last problem since I had derived some properties before it was over and wrote down a path to follow to solve it, but I'm not arguing over it since even with a wild curve I'm not saving this grade. The final will replace the lowest exam grade (and the class only has exam grades because it's a terrible, terrible class). What a poo poo show.

But wait, there's more! Four classes, so four finals. A whole week to take them in, right? Which is why my finals are Monday 3 to 5, Monday 5:15 to 7:15, Thursday 8 to 10, Thursday 10:15 to 12:15. :smithicide:

Better than the thermo class my friend took. He said the class average was in the 30s. I stayed the gently caress away from thermo.

Related to not arguing, got my grade for the project class, B+. One of my project partners was given a B-, which he thought didn't seem right because our grades were pretty close, emailed the teacher, got changed to an A-. My other partner had a B, which got changed to a C+. I very much feel I should have gotten an A-, but like gently caress am I gonna complain now, because they could change my grade to anything.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I had four finals in a single day, back to back last Friday. It started with organic chemistry and ended with immunology. Let's just say I wasn't sober for the weekend...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I had four finals in a single day, back to back last Friday. It started with organic chemistry and ended with immunology. Let's just say I wasn't sober for the weekend...

My school at least has a policy that if you have three or more finals in a single day that a teacher has to make accommodations and reschedule. I haven't been able to use that yet, though...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

My school at least has a policy that if you have three or more finals in a single day that a teacher has to make accommodations and reschedule. I haven't been able to use that yet, though...

A lot of people just prefer to suck it up and deal with it. Where I went the policy was that if you had three or more you could ask your professors to reschedule at least one of them. They were under no requirement to actually do that. Usually they'd be pretty chill about it if somebody asked but people rarely did.

Of course people were also far more likely to ask on the first couple days. People with four finals all on the last day would be like "gently caress yeah Imma study!" but then drink a lot instead.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Hey Reslife, thanks a bunch for not cluing me in that I'd need to lease and furnish my own off-campus apartment until 2 months before classes! that's super-helpful!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Started the Summer semester this week. For some reason I'm always in classes with what has to be the same dickhead in different skin every time. They all act so similar, they're skinny white guys who are very loud and argumentative and constantly offering anecdotes and media recommendations that nobody asked for.

The professor seems very sweet, and it's almost funny to see her entire demeanor change when he opens his mouth.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
There was no study guide for the exam I just finished and I guessed wrong on a lot of the stuff we needed to prep for.

Go by what we did in tuts? Bad move, dummy, that poo poo ain't on here.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Low Desert Punk posted:

Started the Summer semester this week. For some reason I'm always in classes with what has to be the same dickhead in different skin every time. They all act so similar, they're skinny white guys who are very loud and argumentative and constantly offering anecdotes and media recommendations that nobody asked for.

The professor seems very sweet, and it's almost funny to see her entire demeanor change when he opens his mouth.

I have this girl in one of my summer classes, she sat down first day and since then she's non-stop. She's gay, she'll let you know, even though there's no reason to have that come up in a conversation. Did you know she's gay? She calls her girlfriend her partner, so people know she's gay. That's why she does that, so they know she's gay. Something bad happened to her niece, she's really broken up about it. Oh you're not going to ask? She's going to tell you anyways, and talk about it all class.

She's a freshman though, she'll figure it out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't know what it is about my online courses and horrifying bad textbooks. Last summer I took a geography course whose textbook included anti-GMO conspiracy theories as part of the text. Now I'm getting the far side of nuttiness spectrum in my microeconomics course. The first example they used of economic analysis was linking having free health coverage (Medicare specifically) to obesity; something so transparently flawed and manipulative (the book was written right after Obamacare passed) I want to slap the textbook authors for including it.

And then there's the review question where the answer in the required online material doesn't match the question or even the explicit solution provided in the book. So, thanks Pearson for keeping up that high quality and justifying your obscene prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man, gently caress Pearson. My intro to econ book last semester was terrible and seemed like it was written as though the reader already knew econ. Uhh, this is an intro course please introduce me to econ first.

• Locked thread