Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DrSnakeLaser posted:

So this isn't all about how super-fun animation is, why is there always someone with a guitar in places you're trying to concentrate? Just lounging about during finals week strumming.

I've seen guitars and ukuleles here, including one midnight serenade for a girlfriend's birthday that nearly turned into that scene from Animal House. I don't care if you want to be romantic, I'm trying to loving sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I was on an animation course, where I met some of the biggest work shy cunts I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. Need 12 frames of black and white inked and coloured in a week? You'd get the roughs in two, which would be janky as hell. They moved to the middle of nowhere and then complained about the parking charges (£1 for maybe an hour lecture for the whole week). Everything the course did was wrong including trying to force them away from anime and do some drat life drawing.

I had to work as a director for the first time in my three years there, relying on second years (who don't give a poo poo) and these third years (who are just plain poo poo). The whole thing was just a huge mess and I so wish there was something other than "firing" them that could have been done, or altenatively that ANY group work had happened before the final year of the course.

Similarly, a friend of mine was railroaded into using a particular software for animating rather than using stop-motion, mainly for speed, industry potential etc, which is fair enough. Except none of the lecturers had any idea how to use it and had to get a guy to come in to teach her specifically. Turns out there was only one technical animator on staff. Eventually she used another software with the exact same results and they didn't have a clue, instead of the buggy poo poo they recommended.

So this isn't all about how super-fun animation is, why is there always someone with a guitar in places you're trying to concentrate? Just lounging about during finals week strumming.

I feel you. I'm in an entirely different continent but animation teachers are the worst.

We got maybe a month to do a flour sack animation. Immediately after that, the teacher gave us a full character animation to do (probably 4-5 seconds of hand drawn poo poo) within 2 weeks. While midterms were going on for every other class.

They haven't even shown us how to block in keyframes yet. I really have no idea why I'm still at this school, especially since our studio space isn't home to people with guitars. Oh no. It's people who don't do their work watching really loud anime or movies screaming at each other all day. Then they realize they have to pull another all nighter and scream all night.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I study CS at my university and we have had a couple of mislabeled courses and certain weird professors.

Notably the professor responsible for the basic Java course (and some other courses).

Recently, my institute started using a new delivery-system made by some master-students - in general it works great. It is being adopted as the standard for not only my institute, but for the entire faculty. However, the earlier mentioned professor would not have any of this as he had his own delivery system running for the Java-courses. "Delivery system" is a far stretch.

Allow me to describe it.
  • There is no user authentication. Yes, that's right, you can deliver hand-ins as anyone (provided you know their username). However, since this can be easily abused, they have put up an IP-filter allowing only university IPs to connect to the service :bravo:.
  • It has a plagiarism check. I'll say that it works quite well in regards to catching people who cheat, however - it is not the super-awesome piece of software that this professor claims it to be. Whenever you deliver, the system would actually go through every single file delivered - ever (even for other courses), rebuild all the data for the comparison, do the comparison and then let the file through. Combine the fact that there were over 10000 files delivered in this system with 30 students trying to deliver just before the deadline. The plagiarism-checks could have easily been scheduled post-delivery or as low priority processes.
  • Only one file per delivery. Anyone that has touched programming (and especially any language like Java) can tell you how great this is.
  • The system would also just randomly crash for no apparent reason.
  • It is not open-source despite having at least one master thesis behind it claiming that it is. The reason for not being open source is because "the students would then know how to fool the plagiarism check". I'd say that if you know how to fool a plagiarism check by reading the code for it, you probably know how to pass the assignment.

This professor has fought with all his might for keeping this system, but he finally had to admit defeat this semester. However, he has plans about making a version 2.0 of the delivery system. :eng99:

I find this in a way saddening, not only by its mere existence, but because this is the department of computer science. Such things should not happen here.

TZer0 has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Nov 27, 2013

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

TZer0 posted:

I study CS at my university and we have had a couple of mislabeled courses and certain weird professors.

Notably the professor responsible for the basic Java course (and some other courses).

Recently, my institute started using a new delivery-system made by some master-students - in general it works great. It is being adopted as the standard for not only my institute, but for the entire faculty. However, the earlier mentioned professor would not have any of this as he had his own delivery system running for the Java-courses. "Delivery system" is a far stretch.

Allow me to describe it.
  • There is no user authentication. Yes, that's right, you can deliver hand-ins as anyone (provided you know their username). However, since this can be easily abused, they have put up an IP-filter allowing only university IPs to connect to the service :bravo:.
  • It has a plagiarism check. I'll say that it works quite well in regards to catching people who cheat, however - it is not the super-awesome piece of software that this professor claims it to be. Whenever you deliver, the system would actually go through every single file delivered - ever (even for other courses), rebuild all the data for the comparison, do the comparison and then let the file through. Combine the fact that there were over 10000 files delivered in this system with 30 students trying to deliver just before the deadline. The plagiarism-checks could have easily been scheduled post-delivery or as low priority processes.
  • Only one file per delivery. Anyone that has touched programming (and especially any language like Java) can tell you how great this is.
  • The system would also just randomly crash for no apparent reason.
  • It is not open-source despite having at least one master thesis behind it claiming that it is. The reason for not being open source is because "the students would then know how to fool the plagiarism check". I'd say that if you know how to fool a plagiarism check by reading the code for it, you probably know how to pass the assignment.

This professor has fought with all his might for keeping this system, but he finally had to admit defeat this semester. However, he has plans about making a version 2.0 of the delivery system. :eng99:

If find this in a way saddening, not only by its mere existence, but because this is the department of computer science. Such things should not happen here.

poo poo, I wish that we had an electronic hand-in for our programming assignments. No, my professor requires us to turn in the source files + jar on either a flash drive or a burned cd, and print a hard copy of the source code to turn in as well. At least printing at the school is only 5 cents for a single-sided page, or 8 for double-sided...

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Working at a help desk I get about 40 questions a day a day (when we're busy) that could be answered in 5 seconds if they just went on Google Maps. Like, you have a smartphone or a laptop, you probably know what google maps is, and yet you never thought to use it to check directions or bus times? I totally get it if you're from another country or don't speak English so well, but native English speakers, now I have to look it up for you, then read you out the directions, then write them down because you don't know how to follow basic directions, and then go over them twice.

On a related note: stop complaining about having to walk across campus you loving babies. Will you make your bus? I dunno, can you walk for 2 minutes in the same direction continuously without stopping?

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

taiyoko posted:

poo poo, I wish that we had an electronic hand-in for our programming assignments. No, my professor requires us to turn in the source files + jar on either a flash drive or a burned cd, and print a hard copy of the source code to turn in as well. At least printing at the school is only 5 cents for a single-sided page, or 8 for double-sided...

You can't use e-mail? Sheesh.

But to be honest, what you're describing is still in some ways better than this system. The main TA was in practice a part of the hand-in system (involuntarily) as he had to do a bunch of manual processing in order to get the files for the other TAs. With him gone, the system has broken down. Replacing what you are describing with a delivery system is also easier as there is no seemingly viable alternative.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

My business prof was basically the 80s guy from that one Futurama episode. He spoke in buzzwords and would remind us how busy and important he was at any opportunity. This wasn't a big deal, most of our professors were teaching as a part-time job while their career in what they were teaching was winding down. This guy was apparently still super busy though. On the first day he told us "If you're only 5 minutes early, you're already 10 minutes late." which was actually pretty good advice and he took it really seriously. Along with anything else he said.

Until one day he showed up a half hour late. Several people didn't wait this long, and it was a small class so it was a noticeable chunk that was gone. Us remaining people tried to joke with him about it, asking what happened to always being 15 minutes early. He instantly flies into a rage about how he has real life things to deal with, his business that he has and we don't demands a lot of attention and we have no right to act superior. He demands that we inform the absentees that they'll be reported to the dean for their absenteeism and disrespect, and he went on like this for about 15 minutes and then dismissed the class. From then on he would show up 20-30 minutes late every other class, and didn't show up at all at least once.

At least he left the room for smokes/phone calls/whatever for the entire duration of every test. It therefore seemed pointless to complain about him considering the class average was like 95% despite half the class showing up drunk because gently caress it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
You're all grown ups and can do whatever you want during class. Stare at your phone, play games on your laptop, jerkoff, whatever. I don't care, I'm not your mom or the professor so I won't ever say anything. But when you're failing the living hell out of macroeconomics and everyone else has at worst a C...maybe it isn't the professors fault. Maybe you should pay attention once or twice and not stare at your phone. Maybe you should quit yelling about how you'll have your dad call the Dean.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Requiring first-year students to have $1,200 per semester meal plan and then serving them offal is really loving lovely. So glad I can buy my own groceries now.

http://www.usforacle.com/food-for-thought-1.2818638

Also, saying "I don't take attendance, you don't have to come to class if you don't want to" and then having a quiz or a paper required to be turned in in person every single class is dishonest, you gently caress.

I hate my university.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Hummingbirds posted:

Also, saying "I don't take attendance, you don't have to come to class if you don't want to" and then having a quiz or a paper required to be turned in in person every single class is dishonest, you gently caress.

I hate my university.

Ironically this term it's my favorite professor that does something like his. Granted he flat out said at the beginning of the term "I don't take attendance. However, if it's the weekend of Coachella or Brewfest or something and there are like 7 people in the class I'm having a quiz. To get an A you have to be in the room and physically able to sign your name."

In 100 level classes there was attendance for Running Start. But the prof would usually just pass the sheet around on a Friday and have you initial each date. Which works out unless you're Running Start and attendance factors in your staying in college courses.

Speaking of post 100 classes. Please pay attention in your Anthropology 101 or your English Comp. I am sick of wasting entire sessions because some fuckwhit didn't pay attention during the sessions on Cultural Relativity and Sociological Perspective and is now in a 2-300 course accusing anthropologists of being racists for notating cultural differences. Because then we get to waste a day so that these assholes can relearn what social sciences actually do.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The field by the student center is just too perfect for playing Frisbee on and taking naps in the sun.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Hummingbirds posted:

Requiring first-year students to have $1,200 per semester meal plan and then serving them offal is really loving lovely. So glad I can buy my own groceries now.

http://www.usforacle.com/food-for-thought-1.2818638

I hate my university.

Holy poo poo. :psyduck: I really hope that never happened at the MSC restaurants.

The school I attend now had for years a bunch of 1,2 and 4 bedroom apartments for on campus housing (these apartments have a huge waiting list to get into). Recently, they decided to start building more on campus housing, however instead of $350-$750 a month apartment rooms, they are building ($750 a month, including the required $1500 a year meal plans) 3 bed-1 bath residence hall suites with no kitchens. They have built 4 already, and are building yet another in the perfect place to build more apartments.

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Oct 21, 2013

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I was on an animation course, where I met some of the biggest work shy cunts I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. Need 12 frames of black and white inked and coloured in a week? You'd get the roughs in two, which would be janky as hell. They moved to the middle of nowhere and then complained about the parking charges (£1 for maybe an hour lecture for the whole week). Everything the course did was wrong including trying to force them away from anime and do some drat life drawing.

I did work-study in my college's art gallery for a while, which turned me into the unofficial TA for all of the night art courses, and the anime people always made me sad. Every 100 level course had a handful of shitheads who thought they were amazing artists because they could perfectly rip off Dragonball Z or whatever and I don't think a single one of them ever stuck with it after their freshman year. There was always someone having a huge dramatic breakdown and accusing the professor of not understanding art. I really despised those people. There's an equivalent in every major, but the anime art majors are the worst.

Anyways, I want to give a special thanks to the media department for teaching me how to run a radio station. If I ever time-travel back to 1989, I'll be on the cutting edge of broadcasting technology.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My anthropology course a few years ago had a weekly discussion of some selected readings. One such reading was about the perception of Islam as a violent religion in America. One of my classmates, a christian, had been pretty cool up until this point, but this time around he kept basically pointing out that "no you guys they have a history of violence", and thankfully, everyone was called him out on his poo poo as he seethed and actually turned red with anger over the course of the discussion.

I later found out that he had been yelling at the professor before class for suggesting that he try and be more objective about the article.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One day while studying for a final a bunch of classmates and I pulled up the mugshot of the professors' DUI from ten years ago and laughed about it.

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)
Aghhh, drat it all to hell, but this Discrete Math course is hell. I'm not sure I could get a C...which is what is needed to actually pass the class. It seems that no matter how much I visit the prof for help on homework (every Tuesday and Thursday) it's going to end up pretty bad. The same prof is my Java/Python teacher, so he knows how I work and I see him a lot.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
The computer science department and the linguistics department have an equal amount of professors. This is sufficient for the 12 kids in the linguistics program, and not so much for the hundreds of computer science students. Also the CS students get our own computer lab with free printing, which is nice until you realize that every computer is coated in a visible brown layer of CS-student filth. I guess that room, out of every other room in the building, just doesn't get cleaned?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

One day while studying for a final a bunch of classmates and I pulled up the mugshot of the professors' DUI from ten years ago and laughed about it.

My professors hold flexible office hours and truly seem to care about my research area of passion. :unsmith:

Their goddamn TAs, however, need to pull the stick out of their collective asses. "Et al. Is a Latin abbreviation with a period at the end which you have all grievously neglected and points HAVE BEEN deducted for incorrect in text citations"

And here I thought I was a grad student at a prestigious university.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Okay so earlier I complained about having to review 101 poo poo in an Anthropology course because the professor did a lecture on urban Westerners being terrible at navigation because they think in relative directions.

So today we talk about the societal practices in Islamic nations that have to do with their preservation of classical Arabic in terms of religious and official functions and Arabic dialects that arose from social use.

Suddenly I don't know what class I walked into because the guys that were crying racism at the conclusion that Dutch urbanites can't navigate are going all Fox News on how Muslims will cut your head off for praying wrong.

I think my department is Anthropology's version of those Christians that take evolutionary biology to argue the controversy with those damned lieberal professors.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Razorwired posted:

Okay so earlier I complained about having to review 101 poo poo in an Anthropology course because the professor did a lecture on urban Westerners being terrible at navigation because they think in relative directions.

So today we talk about the societal practices in Islamic nations that have to do with their preservation of classical Arabic in terms of religious and official functions and Arabic dialects that arose from social use.

Suddenly I don't know what class I walked into because the guys that were crying racism at the conclusion that Dutch urbanites can't navigate are going all Fox News on how Muslims will cut your head off for praying wrong.

I think my department is Anthropology's version of those Christians that take evolutionary biology to argue the controversy with those damned lieberal professors.

In my international relations class while we were discussing Reasons for War 101, one of the students argued that the rational actor theory is invalid because Muslims operate in a radical and unpredictable manner, because their religion mandates that they have to kill all unbelievers to get into heaven.

While a Muslim exchange student was sitting two rows behind her.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This past semester, Indiana University has offered such gems like:

-The student in my international studies class going on a quasi-racist rant against Southeast Asian Muslims, despite our professor being both Indonesian and Muslim.

-The obnoxious libertarian/constitutionalist kid in my poly-sci class throwing a shitfit when presented with the argument that, yes, it turns out the founding fathers were not all-wise and benevolent as American mythos portrays them.

-Hungover/still drunk TA in said poly-sci class.

-loving FINITE MATH

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PBJ posted:

-Hungover/still drunk TA in said poly-sci class.

-loving FINITE MATH

I don't see what's wrong with these two.

What is that second one, anyway?

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

I don't see what's wrong with these two.

What is that second one, anyway?

Meh, the first one was annoying since the TA wouldn't stop randomly dry heaving and murmuring to herself in the back of the class, and the professor ignored her until someone said something. Why she even came to class that day (or didn't leave for the bathroom) is beyond me.

Finite math is a notoriously difficult class that basically includes everything from probability theory to calculus, and everything in between. I think the usual class average is a C-.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Doesn't probability include calculus as a matter of course, ie pdf->cdf? And is finite math anything like discrete math? I hated that course.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Doesn't probability include calculus as a matter of course, ie pdf->cdf? And is finite math anything like discrete math? I hated that course.

Yeah, more or less. I'm pretty sure it's just our university's name for it. In any case, it's more myself being bad at math and not not understanding the subject matter enough than anything else.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Razorwired posted:

I know this isn't quite the right thread for it, but would you mind expanding on this? I've never heard of this before.

There is another student in one of my poli-sci classes who is one those kids, you know, the type who oh so helpfully answers questions posed to the professor and just know everything. Today we were discussing the NSA's tapping of foriegn leaders' phones and this same guy (who looks like a total goon) starts talking about how Assad stole plutonium from the US and how we should stop spying on Israel :psyduck:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm studying writing with a focus on editing, and our big final course has gone... poorly.

Int he big final semester editing course, we have been put into groups to work on a major, real-world editing assignment. We didn't have classes every week because the course was more about doing poo poo than learning poo poo, which was fair enough, and we were expected to get together for group meetings every week. My group instead used Facebook to work together, which worked well enough.

But then the tutor cancelled a class we were meant to have after two weeks off. ...And then she cancelled the next one. And then she just didn't turn up to the last class we had before the mid-semester break. I can't be angry at her for that one, because it turned out she'd been hospitalized, but when we came back afterwards to a replacement tutor, the other shoe dropped and we saw what was really going wrong. And by god was it going wrong.

-Of the eight or nine groups working on separate projects, only one or two had their client's contact details and had been in touch with them. They had their material they were meant to be editing, but they didn't really know what they were doing with it beyond 'edit it, I guess'.
-One group hadn't even got their material. This was halfway through the course, and they literally could not do any work.
-One of the three assignments we were supposed to hand up remained an enigma, because nobody could ask the old tutor about it. It sure as hell wasn't editing, we could tell that much.
-The way we were told to edit these things doesn't apply to how you actually edit documents in the real world. I personally gave this one a pass, because the things we were given were too much for students to do solo and there's only so much to go around, but it is training in skills and forming problems that should not exist in the first place.

The replacement tutor had to do some major maintenance work on the entire course. Project components had to be replaced (or provided in the first place) on short notice, that mystery second assignment completely ditched, parts of the final assessment completely reworked, and she needed to teach us some pretty important concepts that weren't brought up at all.

That last part's where my group comes in, because we were working on something completely different; a fiction publication for students full of short stories, chapters of novels that probably don't entirely exist, and poetry. Which is pretty decent all-up, except for the fact that we didn't know how to edit creative work. The first class that was cancelled was supposed to be the one on editing creative works, so for almost the entire course we were working from educated guesses. We were finally taught that last week, except for anything about poetry--because the current tutor's never edited poetry at all before, and so can't really provide any assistance. The whole thing's due next week, and not only did we learn how to do this only last week, we still don't know how to edit poetry.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
Huh. Maybe it's just because I'm mostly taking technical courses (except for COM and GER), I haven't seen a lot of the previous stuff. The worst I have is this guy in my COM class is going to be giving a persuasive presentation that we shouldn't play video games.:rolleyes:
Which will be very well received by a class of Technology majors.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Egregious Offences posted:

Huh. Maybe it's just because I'm mostly taking technical courses (except for COM and GER), I haven't seen a lot of the previous stuff. The worst I have is this guy in my COM class is going to be giving a persuasive presentation that we shouldn't play video games.:rolleyes:
Which will be very well received by a class of Technology majors.

PLEASE tell us how this turns out. :allears:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Farecoal posted:

I know this isn't quite the right thread for it, but would you mind expanding on this? I've never heard of this before.

Upon reading that my statement was a bit misleading. The study was strictly on the linguistic ramifications of using absolute direction, like north south east and west, vs relative, right left above below.

The subjects whose culture used absolute direction were able to plot novel routes to known destinations up to 300 km away with a 96% success rate. The group whose language focused more on relative direction couldn't navigate a novel route to known areas within 2km.

The exercise is used as proof of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which states that a culture's language can color their perception of reality. Other examples include cultures that use the same word for blue and green being literally unable to distinguish some blue-green shades. Sapir-Whorf is a departure from Noam Chomsky's theory of universal grammar and there's some debate there. The short version is that a linguist will use Chomsky and a linguistic anthropologist(and maybe sociolinguists) will use Sapir-Whorf.

Anyway the reason that my class started a shitstorm was because the relative direction group was a bunch of Dutch men from population centers and I'll have to dig up my notes but I think the absolute direction group was Indigenous Australians. And the Australians were chosen because they don't have relative direction in their language. What caused a shitstorm is that the class couldn't grasp that it was a study of ways to view direction, not a competition of Europeans vs Australians.

Even though they've supposedly been taught cultural relativity and sociological perspective in their 101s they accused the study of racism. It was really frustrating and blew a week of class because I registered with a bunch of anthropology students that don't know how the field works.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
6 hour meeting (for a scheduled 2 hour meeting) in our Student Activity Building over whether or not a dumb student service should be cancelled or not. Jesus loving Christ everybody, the UN doesn't take itself this seriously. Maybe you could dress up like bigboys and play student politics somewhere else? Like not where everyone eats lunch and hangs out?

Also if you vote "nay" to letting the Islamic students take a 15 minute break from said meeting for evening prayer, you are a sack of poo poo undeserving of higher education.

VVVVV Is your mom also the Registrar? Just tell her you're taking whatever class she thinks you should and take Gender Studies instead, especially if it's not even going to show up on your diploma. Is that not an option for you?

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Oct 30, 2013

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

6 hour meeting (for a scheduled 2 hour meeting) in our Student Activity Building over whether or not a dumb student service should be cancelled or not. Jesus loving Christ everybody, the UN doesn't take itself this seriously. Maybe you could dress up like bigboys and play student politics somewhere else? Like not where everyone eats lunch and hangs out?

Also if you vote "nay" to letting the Islamic students take a 15 minute break from said meeting for evening prayer, you are a sack of poo poo undeserving of higher education.

wow, jesus, Acting so serious yet not doing a thing about some of their own intolerant students, jeeze. What a load of hypocrites.
So, I was speaking to my English professor, and she really enjoys the feminist analysis that I write, and recommends me for a gender studies course. Turns out I wanted to be in that course, but my mom doesn't think it's "relevant". Well, I have to take humanities credits anyways, even if I'm majoring in Comp Sci, so what does it matter if I take English or Gender Studies?
See, I thought it would be really neat to take a course in gender studies, seeing as just how male-dominated the tech industry is; even though the field had so many things in the early years invented by women.

nuts_rice has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Oct 30, 2013

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
I'm in the last week of undergrad, and this is the first semester I've had where I've had clashes between subjects, and somehow I had heaps this semester. It's normally not a problem because I could just listen to the recorded lectures and catch up. One of my organic chemistry subjects clashes with another lab, so obviously I have to go to the lab. The last lecturer of the three for that chemistry class is some full on crazy guy who I acknowledge is pretty drat smart, knows his poo poo and as far as I'm aware has achieved heaps already even though he is pretty young, but for whatever reason apparently he's decided not to record his lectures at all.

This seems to be a conscious decision because usually when other lecturers forget to record or don't put on the lapel mic, the lectern automatically records every hour anyway and the only problem with that is that I have to jack up the volume on the recording to be able to hear what they're talking about. But yeah, now I have nothing but the lecture slides to study off which also isn't great because the guy likes to write on the board.

Normally I would have been bothered to chase it up earlier or whatever, but after more stress than usual this year what with family surgeries and weird family bullshit I really can't be hosed, and it just annoys me a lot that there are some people like myself who didn't not go to the lectures just because they were slackers but actually had other unavoidable classes and this guy's made a choice that makes it poo poo for us.

Luckily for honours I'm going back to the non-uni affiliated lab I got work experience at last year so I can do something I'll actually enjoy.

Edit: Oh, on the topic of labs, I seem to frequently be paired with the shittest lab partners.

In first year physics we had to do a group project where we proposed an experiment, carried it out over semester, and then present it at the end. None of the group did anything even when I asked so I ended up doing all the proposals, the exp design, the work, the report, and when I refused to do the presentation the rest of my group royally hosed it up. And they tried to blame any lack of work being done etc. on me. When I tried to get this guy to write the introduction to our report (which was about radioactivity etc.) he wrote, "Strontium 90 is the radioactive isotope that gave Johnny Alpha his powers, allowing him to see through rocks, walls, and even into people's minds to see if they were lying." When I flipped my poo poo at him, he sent back some paragraphs that were plagiarised and I ended up reporting him to the unit coordinator.

The rest of my undergrad years were just as bad, and most recently I've had a partner who is somehow bad because he is too keen. Every third phrase out of his mouth is "I have an idea..." and it inevitably fucks everything up and makes it more complicated than it should be. I've told him heaps of times to just stick to the protocol and don't fix what isn't broken but he is just way too keen for his own good.

Chroisman has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Oct 30, 2013

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

PLEASE tell us how this turns out. :allears:
It wasn't that great. By that, I mean it wasn't him going on some 7 min. long Jack Thompson-esque diatribe on how GAMERS WILL ESCAPE THEIR BASEMENT CAVES AT NIGHT AND ACT UPON THEIR DOOM FUELED BLOODLUSTS:byodood:. It was about "You shouldn't play videogames because there are these fat, anti-social neckbeards who got sucked into it. Therefore playing more than 2 hours will turn you into a neckbeard."

What was more distressing was that two speakers cited the Huffington Post.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So while I was studying for my Comp Sci degree, one of the instructors in the department was basically the second worst teacher I had. There was one worse, but I only had her a couple times. This guy taught basically every single high-level course there. I could tell stories for days about this guy but the most memorable one involved him handing us all example C code. He wanted us to all take it to the lab, run it, and then make some simple tweaks to it to show we understand the basics of C. Simple enough, but my buddy, the first guy to try it out, after compiling and running the code as-is, ground the entire computer lab to a halt somehow. Rinse and repeat for basically every single piece of code this guy ever gave us. Did I mention that he insisted on hand-writing notes for everyone during lectures and this included the code he gave us? He rarely gave us actual digital copies of example code, he expected us to transcribe it during lecture. No one could possibly make a mistake!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glagha posted:

Did I mention that he insisted on hand-writing notes for everyone during lectures and this included the code he gave us? He rarely gave us actual digital copies of example code, he expected us to transcribe it during lecture. No one could possibly make a mistake!

So it was like a history class, except programming?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know if this sounds more like me whining or if I actually have a valid complaint, here. I transferred to a 4-year school after spending a lot of time at a community college getting every single prereq. met for transfer.

Semester starts and for the first time in several years I'm having a lot of trouble in school. So, about 3 weeks in, I go see an academic advisor to drop the class that is giving me the most trouble.

So, I go and see them and they tell me I need to me careful about dropping out of classes because I'll run out of time to complete my degree. I'm not really too concerned and tell her, "Well, I've got 10 semesters to complete my degree, I don't think I'll NEED all those. At worst, I'll to need a fifth semester..."

She looks at me, asking me where I got the idea I had 10 semesters with them to finish a degree. I point to the screen that I'd been working off of since even before school started that listed my final authorized term of enrollment to be nearly 5 years in the future.

"Like I said, at most I'll probably only ever need a fifth semes..."

She suddenly started messing around and drops it down to 3 remaining semesters (edit: 4 total counting the one I was in at the time). I feel the blood leave my face, my chest goes cold and my guts feel hollow. I don't know what just happened here.

She then proceeds to tell me that my number of authorized terms of enrollment were 'wrong' and she 'fixed' them to be 'right' to reflect 3 semesters remaining. I slowly begin to panic. What happens if I don't complete my degree in 3 more semesters? What if I have one class left to take after 3 more semesters? What do I do?

There were extensions, but they're almost never given out, so I likely wouldn't get one regardless of how close I was to graduating. So, if I'm one class shy of graduating after 2 years, and I can't take the class to graduate, how do I get my degree?

Her instructions: After 2 years at their school, even if I was short just one class, I'd have to transfer to ANOTHER 4-year school and fulfill all their requirements for graduation (essentially, another 2 years of school work) in order to get my degree.

Edit 2: I fully get that finishing a degree upon transfer in 2 years is completely normal, but I was also used to classes being unavailable, classes being full, classes conflicting, and so on.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Oct 30, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I emailed a teacher of an online class to apologize for getting behind on my discussion posts because I had personal stuff going on, and I was working hard to get caught back up. I wasn't really that far behind, and I figured maybe I wouldn't lose quite as many points if I talked to him about it right away. I got an email back saying that maybe I should just withdraw from the class.

Oh yeah, just drop the class, forfeit $500, and all the work you've done so far because I'm a lovely teacher who doesn't care. gently caress that guy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lizard Wizard posted:

So it was like a history class, except programming?

Except that the syntax is vitally important and transcribing something incorrectly can ruin everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Razorwired posted:

A bunch of dorks eat up 3 or 4 tables with Pathfinder books, Magic decks and laptops every time I go into grab lunch in the cafeteria. Earliest I've been in to eat is 11:00 and latest is 1:30 and they're always there. They're never eating or studying. As someone that runs a D&D table and is in a few groups as a player, loving nerds ruin college.

This group of people is in every college campus cafeteria from my experience, and it always seems to include fat guys who hit on me and invade my personal space while I'm trying to read or do coursework, and girls wearing cat ears who meow and shriek memes and make me want to kill myself.

• Locked thread