Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Memento posted:

Structural geology: actually super loving hard. I loved every single second of it, but I worked my loving arse off for my Distinction grade (think 3.0-equiv GPA level).
Yeah its just not the geology that I like, too much mathmatics which has never been my strong suit, like Stats and Prob this year where my professor decides having 1hr office hours and decides to call that a day. Though I shouldn't be upset with him that I got a 63 on the test I mean he lets us use a note paper. However he should actually teach us the types of problems that he gives for the homework and not assume that we are all good on Calculus/intergrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

GreenCard78 posted:

The SUNY system doesn't have a standardized system of credits? That is surprising.

I'm hoping it's just some sort of administrative screwup!

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Getting a second undergraduate degree is sort of fun even though I sort of feel like that kid who was too dumb for grad school (I'm coming for you, PhD). But poo poo I forgot how bad lower division courses are. Choice quotes from my math instructor (easily the worst teacher I've ever had in 17 years of education):

"Hurry up and answer guys it's not rocket science" (as brand new baby freshman struggle to enter answers into a lovely unresponsive clicker on a 45-second timer).

"I have a great trick to memorize this but if you want to learn it you'll have to come see me out of class some time."

"I hope you got that email I sent last night about printing out that document for today because if you didn't that sucks for you."

The lights flickered a few times during one lecture: "is someone in the back doing that? Seriously if someone's doing that on purpose everyone should just...kill you" (it turned out to be a kid in a wheelchair who didn't realize the switch was there and he was pressing it, or possibly his aide who was leaning against it? She had to email an apology to everyone).

Her lectures are a rushed, irritated audiobook version of the textbooks. Honestly I don't understand why she seems so angry at her class the whole time. This isn't high school, the kids aren't that aggravating and they mostly just shut up and let her talk but she started day one with a lovely lecture about how if we texted, talked, used laptops or anything in class she'd kick us out, as if we were just the worst thing she had to deal with all day. I mean, I get it. These classes aren't fun to teach and it's boring low-level math that everyone just wants to get through and move on from. But I have no idea why she's so angry.

Also: she put a question on our midterm (MC/scantron) with no right answer. Shook my confidence a little but I could tell it was sketch. No worries, she threw it out and apologized. Then she out another problem of the same type up on the board for us to do (on those stupid clickers).

There was no right answer on that one either.

It wasn't a joke.

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
In my major program there is one person who should have graduated last semester but instead decided to improve their grades by retaking a few earlier classes. Normally I would be fine with this but this specific person is extremely aggravating and easily one of the most awkward people I have ever suffered to meet.

He never seems to brush his teeth, laughs as loudly as he can at jokes from conversations on the other side of the room the room, constantly hovers just behind people, and has the greasiest hair in the entire world. He deliberately sharpens his nails and lets them grow long, and wears the same loving plaid button up short sleeved shirts day in and day out.

These problems wouldn't be as awful as they are if it was only 15 minutes at a time but no, he sits in the lab for hours on end after his classes are done for the day.

I can't wait for him to be gone at the end of the fall, it will feel magnificent to never see him again.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
I swear to God one of these days there are going to be consequences for doing things like this

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My Java class meets only on Wednesdays at 12:30. The final exam schedule has no slot for this, and our professor said "Eh let's just use the closest one." I told him "No, that will be some other class for sure" and his response was "Don't worry about it". Now he's on the phone when he should be teaching us about Java, and this is only because nobody in the class wanted him to roll the dice on our final exam time.

God.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Is it to much to ask for some sand or salt on the sidewalks on my university? It's Wisconsin so it's not like you weren't expecting this weather this time of year.

Also would be nice if my adviser had a few more office hours then the 2/week he has or that he'd respond to emails/voice messages, since I can't register for next semester till I speak to him

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I'm in a very small program-- about two other kids started in my month, besides me-- and it's been a struggle to have classes actually, you know, exist. At first, the administration was like, "If there aren't five people for this class, we'll cancel it." Then, it became four. Then, three. Then, they got rid of it entirely, and started assigning classes based on the phases of the moon or something. I'm doing courses that very much require real human interaction, but they're all online because we're too much of a hassle to deal with.

I could basically just put down, "I go to Full Sail," and be done with it, really.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That reminds me of a time when I was wanting to take summer classes as a non-current student. I was actually once told that the Summer session was the session they 'encouraged' local non-students to take classes. I was told that this was the chain of events I'd have to follow:

Apply for Summer Classes by Feb or March. This doesn't actually get you into the class, it was a pre-enrollment period telling you if you'd be allowed to the chance to apply up for the class that Summer. Not the chance to sign up for the class, the chance to APPLY to sign up to take the class.

If got pre-approved, you still weren't able to sign up for the class. If you weren't a current university student, you'd have to wait until the class had been in session at least a few days before being allowed to actually sign up. (In summer course schedule, that could be a LOT of material you're missing.)

At this point, you're still not actually allowed to sign up, though. Because you're going to be a 'late enrollment' because you had to wait 2-3 days after the first day of class, it now requires teacher and school approval to sign up.

So, if they decide that you haven't missed too much material, then you get to start the class behind everyone else.
If they reject you, then you've spent the last 3 months trying to adjust all your non-school schedules around to make not taking a class possible.

edit: How it reminded me was that I remember them cancelling the June class I was interested in by early May due to 'lack of enrollment' by that time.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Dec 7, 2013

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So I have a job as a student counselor for students in the Diversity center. I'm with the student activist group and I submitted some stuff regarding cultural appropriation to the student paper. With that in mind shut the gently caress up in class, Social Justice Sammy. This was the last week of instruction so our prof wanted to give us a light load before the final. So we plug in a video about endangered languages. Not my favorite method of teaching but I have to be on campus for work so cool, let's do movie time.

The second day we watch the video here's this rear end in a top hat raising his hand, "Before we watch this I just want to say that I don't think it's okay that white people have taken it upon themselves to :words:"

So we derail and try to get the point home that anthropologists know and encourage people to find flaws in their methods but if we do nothing these languages die quickly. He eventually says something about uplifting the community and we start part two.

Literally the first goddamn scene is "And after we helped them develop a written alphabet the community started making story books for their children to learn with."

gently caress you, Mr. Tumblr. You owe me 300 bucks for the lectures I didn't get to because you have to go off about white oppressors while your skin tone is roughly bleach.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Dammerung posted:

Just found out today that my institution has been mistakenly thinking of me as a Sophomore because the credits I got from my previous institution don't seem to have transferred over yet. It's only been a year and a half, it seems like it should have been more than enough time for those credits to have been counted, but what do I know?

This happened when I transferred with an Associate of Arts degree from community college to a state school for my BS. After a full semester of being there I was still considered a sophomore on the school's system and I had to keep pestering my department for manual overrides for every class I wanted to take. In the meantime, the good classes would fill up and I'd be relegated to the bad professors in the early morning periods. The admin people blamed my former institution for "sending the transcript wrong" but finally, after pestering them three times in person, they came back apologizing because apparently some dumbass forgot to flip over my transcript and read 16 credits' worth of prereq classes on the last page.

This same school also served chicken that was still bloody in the middle in the dining halls, and on occasion we'd even have "French fry bars" where the main entree that day was our choice of curly fries, waffle fries, sweet potato fries, steak fries, and regular fries. How nutritiously balanced! When the student body complained about the poor quality of the food, the Sodexo reps calmly stated that the only way to provide better meals was to hike meal plan prices and crack down even harder on students taking food outside the hall. Clearly, us taking an orange and a few cookies was sending Sodexo into bankruptcy.

Let's see... they've also (1) sold my personal information to credit card companies who keep spamming me with applications to get cards with the school logo on it, (2) they call me every year asking me to donate to some bullshit project like a fountain with no educational merit, and then (3) act completely baffled as to why anyone in our generation might not have a steady job immediately after graduating that allows us to donate to our alma mater.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I haven't gone to college for a while, but I loving love it when state universities raise tuition because costs are so high, oh no you guys and then they build luxury dorms so that students can pay even more out the rear end to stay there the first year.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Dammerung posted:

Just found out today that my institution has been mistakenly thinking of me as a Sophomore because the credits I got from my previous institution don't seem to have transferred over yet. It's only been a year and a half, it seems like it should have been more than enough time for those credits to have been counted, but what do I know?

My University, during my first semester as a transfer student to any four-year school, told me I wasn't a 'Junior' because I had too many semesters/credits from a community college.

I found this out while during that semester because I attempted to change majors, as their course catalog said any major changes had to be done by the end of the first Junior semester at the college, and that I wouldn't be allowed to do so.

TunaSpleen posted:

Let's see... they've also (1) sold my personal information to credit card companies who keep spamming me with applications to get cards with the school logo on it, (2) they call me every year asking me to donate to some bullshit project like a fountain with no educational merit, and then (3) act completely baffled as to why anyone in our generation might not have a steady job immediately after graduating that allows us to donate to our alma mater.

I never filled out anything to anyone that I was going to my Uni for the semester, but I got hit with the spam stuff, too. Well after I'd dropped out and at the time when I was originally supposed to graduate I started getting ads for class rings and other graduation-related things.

The absolute best of these things: The college that I had to drop out of, itself, sent me a letter the month I was supposed to have originally graduate inviting me to join the school's alumni association.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Dec 7, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I haven't gone to college for a while, but I loving love it when state universities raise tuition because costs are so high, oh no you guys and then they build luxury dorms so that students can pay even more out the rear end to stay there the first year.

There was a thread once talking about why education is so expensive and all I remember was "rock climbing walls, undergraduates love them some rock climbing walls." It's the best way to put it.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
-

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Aug 17, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
For grad school miscommunications, I knew a person who was accepted into a grad program only to end up being short a few hundred dollars by the payment deadline. They called the school up, explained their problem, and were told, "Okay, you won't be able to start the program this semester..."

A few weeks later, just before the program was set to start and they'd already made other plans, they got a call from someone at the program asking why they dropped out. They explained the money issue and were told, "Oh, if you were only going to be short a few hundred dollars, we could have given you a grant or a waiver to cover that."

I was accepted into a program, told 24 hours after being accepted I shouldn't have been accepted and wouldn't be accepted after all, then contacted a week or two later to tell me they were waiting for me acknowledge my acceptance.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The CLEP exam for Spanish was almost the death of me. I tried to get a good grade on it so I didn't have to take Spanish II for my degree (come on, 4 years of high school Spanish isn't enough?) and failed it because the listening sections had the voice quality of an Intellivision. If you're considering the CLEP to get credit so you can get out of taking classes, good loving luck.

Also I had someone I know from another class drop a Java class because he wanted it to have a textbook and there wasn't one. :psyduck:

Aside from that I also don't like when I park, come back from class, and see that someone has stuck flyers under my wiper blades. They keep doing it even when I have a pile of them still in the car easily visible as if to say "cut it out."

Oh, and in one summer class I had there was a guy who sat in front of me and smelled absolutely terrible. We watched Blade Runner in that class and there were times where his stench would kick in and my enjoyment of the movie was diminished slightly. I've never had any other experiences with classmates that have bad hygiene after that, thankfully.

Zeether has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Dec 9, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Welp I'm probably going to end up with a C in Probs and Stats unless I completely fail the final. God he never gave proper partial credit, I was one of the last people out drat it! :negative: Hopefully the Final will just be the last three tests with different numbers so I can use my permitted cheat sheet to write down the formulas for it.

Also it was a dick move to have a third test a week before the finals :argh:

E: On the plus side I'm getting my Paleontology work study stuff set up and I'm going to be making 10 $ an hr :getin:

achillesforever6 has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Dec 9, 2013

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Yep, this happened on my campus. And it's getting even better - they've decided recently to spend $15,000,000 to put in a new college stadium. We don't even have a football team...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just remembered this from the Java class talk on page 3: in my Java class I have 2 assignments and an exam that are still not graded because one of the TAs can't get on webcourses to submit them due to some problem with access and has to give each grade to the professor. My university uses Canvas for webcourses stuff and while it's a significant step up from the evil that is Blackboard it still has problems.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

My school is apparently one of the best for art in the world, but recently they decided that students don't actually need teachers or class time pffft. All our core classes are less than 2 hours long now with one teacher per subject for well over 100 students. No teacher's aids or assistants either. There's an internship we have to take in one year that is 3 months long, but we might not get paid for it. If we don't do it, we can't get our degree/pass. I've also discovered that in the 4 years here, you actually start learning anything of worth in 3rd year where one of the teacher starts at the beginning again and reteaches you everything because the first two years were taught wrong.

But hey we got new computers!!! NEW COMPUTERS GUYS.

SCAD?

Irish Joe posted:

Took an exam today and one of the questions had the most ridiculous set of answers I have ever seen:

For so-and-so to do such-and-such a thing is
A. not uncommon.
B. extremely common.
C. common.
D. the norm.

Man, that's as bad as nursing school questions! Where all answers are correct but one answer is slightly more correct than the others!

Spalec posted:

I'm not in college but my wife is and the amount she spends on textbooks is ridiculous, every course needs at least one $60+ book (normally written by the professor, nice way to forcibly sell your book and make some cash!).

Is that the normal in the US/Canada? I went to university in the UK and I bought maybe 5 textbooks my entire degree, none of which were compulsory. 2nd year onwards we mostly used scientific journals which we could at least access freely at university.

Just don't blame your friendly bookstore employees! It's usually the publisher/author responsible for the exorbitant cost, bookstores make most of their money on merch rather than textbooks.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

I go to SCAD and this guy definitely doesn't. The classes are required by the accreditors to be at least 2 and a half hours & you only have to wait one year before you actually get into your core curriculum.

Most my complaints are really petty - SCAD apparently calculated my bill for the next semester during the three days I was waitlisted for a class and informed me of this via a past due notice. :smithicide:

I live on campus because the school takes off 2/3rds scholarship if you don't and tuition is so high that the amount I lose is well over the cost of housing. My dorm is the smallest, was incorrectly advertised as having an oven, and has literally no dedicated parking despite this being against city regulations. Exactly two shuttles visit this dorm (SCAD does not have a singular campus but owns buildins scattered around town and sometimes in sketchy areas, making walking or biking impractical) and neither do so on weekends.

Also, I have three roommates in a two-room dorm and one has literally never stayed the night, one is a furry and the last is in a cult.

The classes are really good though so I'm going to stick it out.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dammerung posted:

Yep, this happened on my campus. And it's getting even better - they've decided recently to spend $15,000,000 to put in a new college stadium. We don't even have a football team...

Any time anyone tells you that they're going to "run [whatever it is] like a business," just turn around and walk away.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Dammerung posted:

Nope, nothing like that - both colleges are members of the SUNY system, which makes this miscommunication really strange.

I had the same issue with an English class between 2 SUNY campuses and it's been 3 months of annoying phone calls and they still haven't fixed it yet. I was told it was fixed, but when I went to sign up for classes last month I was missing that pre-req and of course it filled up immediately. Because I'm insane and have moved too much, I have been to exactly 8 different schools and the only one that had administration workers worth a poo poo was a small community college in the Midwest. The big schools always, always have the shittiest loving people (lazy + assholes) working in their offices. It reminds me of the DMV.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Any time anyone tells you that they're going to "run [whatever it is] like a business," just turn around and walk away.

The problem is that people who know how to run a business are too smart to get involved in running a university, which has what could be called a "fragmented corporate culture", or to translate: everybody hates each other and will actively sabotage other departments and academics even if it harms themselves too. The administrative staff are usually either resentful or incompetent, and the financial tracking is limited to "how much did our phone campaign bring in?". This was three paragraphs long before I calmed down.

Good business administrators are busy running good businesses.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
I went to the community college in my hometown, and boy howdy, is it ever amazing.

As an incoming freshman, they set me up with everything I needed, helped me do my FAFSA, all the steps. After about a year, I change my major to education and ask for the classes that would get me qualified as a paraeducator. "Take child development," I'm told. Sure! Great! Awesome!

Two years of CDev classes go by and... I'm still not qualified for a degree or certificate. I wonder what the gently caress is going on and go to the counselors. "Oh, you're just missing one more class, Lolitas! We'll sign you up right away!" Sweet! A special education needs class and I'm done! Tack on a few funsie courses to fill out my roster and I'm set!

I then go to the class and find out that my professor is the Dean of Special Education! And she is looking at my transcript and asks me "Lolitas, why on earth did you spend so long in Child Development? This course is an 18-month, 3-class program, taken over 2 semesters. You could have been done back in 2009." :cripes:

I finish up the class, complete it successfully, and... surprise! The Alright family is expecting kid #1! My doc fills out the medical release forms, I deliver them to Administration, get a receipt, and am told that I'll have either a pass if the professors of my other classes decided that I did well enough at that point, or just a "No Credit", which wouldn't impact my transcripts negatively, and did not count as a No Pass/Fail. Great! Super! Gonna go have my baby, bye!

I then try to apply for jobs in my field. Rejected because of lack of credits? Great. Let's call the school. Again. Turns out that they had decided sometime during my final semester of college that all CDev majors, including my major, needed an Intro to Child Development class, unless they had already taken CDev classes previously. Well, I had. Lots of them! More than I needed, in fact! So what the hell was the problem? I had even went to the extra length of putting in an override request form.

They just... didn't enter it. I would have to move back to town, enroll all over again, and take that one loving Intro Course. Or take the No Child Left Behind exam, which would count as the Intro class, would successfully complete my degree program for my AA, and the State of California would send me an extra certificate of completion on top of that! Yay! I take it and pass it because it's fourth grade math and psych questions about handling students where one option always seemed to be "Verbally or emotionally humiliate the loving poo poo out of the kid in front of the whole class!". I send the results to the college and request my degree.

Request denied. Business office hold. I immediately begin to seethe, because I did everything under the sun for that medical leave and gently caress if-

They owed me money.

They denied my request for my degree because I have to go down there and get the money they owe me.

And then I get the privilege of paying them $18 for my final transcript and $30 for my physical degree.

gently caress my college.

EDIT: The cherry on the sundae was that they sent me a letter in the mail telling me that I will no longer qualify to apply for classes at that college after this year. Apparently many people who graduated already or who are graduating this year got the same letter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Vindolanda posted:

The problem is that people who know how to run a business are too smart to get involved in running a university, which has what could be called a "fragmented corporate culture", or to translate: everybody hates each other and will actively sabotage other departments and academics even if it harms themselves too. The administrative staff are usually either resentful or incompetent, and the financial tracking is limited to "how much did our phone campaign bring in?". This was three paragraphs long before I calmed down.

Good business administrators are busy running good businesses.

True of most University departments in my experience - the Business School at the University I work in seems an exception to the rule however, perhaps unsurprisingly.

I want to move departments.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Ketchupface posted:

Also, I have three roommates in a two-room dorm and one has literally never stayed the night, one is a furry and the last is in a cult.

I, for one, would gladly hear stories about this motley crew in either the bad roommate or anime husband threads.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Ketchupface posted:

I go to SCAD and this guy definitely doesn't. The classes are required by the accreditors to be at least 2 and a half hours & you only have to wait one year before you actually get into your core curriculum.

Most my complaints are really petty - SCAD apparently calculated my bill for the next semester during the three days I was waitlisted for a class and informed me of this via a past due notice. :smithicide:

I live on campus because the school takes off 2/3rds scholarship if you don't and tuition is so high that the amount I lose is well over the cost of housing. My dorm is the smallest, was incorrectly advertised as having an oven, and has literally no dedicated parking despite this being against city regulations. Exactly two shuttles visit this dorm (SCAD does not have a singular campus but owns buildins scattered around town and sometimes in sketchy areas, making walking or biking impractical) and neither do so on weekends.

The classes are really good though so I'm going to stick it out.

Yeah I go to Armstrong so ya'll SCAD people amuse me. Although because I'm a foreigner everyone thinks I go to SCAD. I've also worked at your bookstore - some of the kids just kill me with their ridiculous behaviour. Also I've been seeing a lot of furries around and I do not like it. I saw a flyer for a furry club at Armstrong, I was scared.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
What the hell would a furry club even talk about?

Ugh, probably horrible things. Never mind.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

a travelling HEGEL posted:

They don't really tell us things. Generally, they announce things and then get confused when the student body isn't happy to learn that another $20,000,000 dollars is being sunk into creating a new building for certain departments while other departments are being closed down entirely.

Ariza posted:

The big schools always, always have the shittiest loving people (lazy + assholes) working in their offices. It reminds me of the DMV.

I think I'd take the DMV over whatever passes for office work here.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Although I've graduated the current weather reminds me of something dumb my university used to do.

They had Ice Polishers.

They were golf cart-sized little cars that Campus Operations drove around that had big spinning brushes on them (exactly like a street sweeper would have). They would drive over all the sidewalks on campus in the winter which had the effect of a) removing all the snow so you had nothing for traction and b) polishing the ice beneath the snow into a crystal clear sheen so that you couldn't see it and it had maximum 'slipperyness' (tm). They did not follow this up with salt or ice melt or anything.

I don't think I ever saw even one person walk on the sidewalks during winter because they were a giant icy deathtrap. You ended up with footpaths carved through the snow just 2 feet away from the sidewalk, every year.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm taking a break from writing a paper that's due tomorrow morning to tell the story of the most uncomfortable moment in my college career so far.

It was a few weeks ago, during a federal holiday where public schools had off but we didn't. My professor, a woman in her 30s-40s, had brought in her two kids, a boy and girl around 8 years old. They weren't really bothering us, they were out in the hall coloring or anything, so I didn't care. I should mention, this was one of those once a week, 3 hours with a break halfway through, and it was lunchtime so I was running out to grab some food. I was just on my way out the door when my professor pulls me aside, and tells me that her son has been in the bathroom for a long time, she thought he had food poisoning, and that she wanted me to go in and check on him since I was the only boy in her class. And this wasn't a even a normal public bathroom with stalls and stuff, this was one of the ones that's just a toilet and a sink. So like any sane person, I tell her no, and that I'm not comfortable with that, then went off to get my lunch. On my way back, I pass the professer in the hall and she tells me "sorry to have bothered you" in a tone that strongly suggested that I was being the unreasonable one.

This was also the professor who routinely gave me poo poo for going to the bathroom during class, and would mark people absent for being 30 minutes late.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Apr 2, 2014

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
During my first year as a psychology student, I went to see an academic adviser. The adviser, who was also chair of the psychology department, told me I should take Research Methods in Psychology in my second year. This is a required course that only psych majors can take, and is one of the most challenging and heavy duty courses in the undergraduate program. Lots of coursework, 3 hours, twice a week, and taught by a hardcore, Yale educated professor (we were a small Canadian university). She advised I take it in my second year to "get it over with" and to not take a full course load while taking it as it's the equivalent of two courses in one.

While she was right about not taking a full course load, she was WRONG AS HELL about taking it in my second year. My program allowed me to only take intro psych in my first year, no other psychology courses. Intro psych did not even touch the research related aspects of psychology and as such I was woefully unprepared for it. I had never heard of APA writing or scholarly journals, and suddenly I had to start researching and writing them. This course requires a B+ to get into the masters program, which I did not get, needless to say.

Apparently most others knew better. Out of the 60 or so in that course, I was one of maybe 5 or 6 second year students. None of the second years made it into the masters program.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Dammerung posted:

I think I'd take the DMV over whatever passes for office work here.

Fun experiences with office staffers.

When I wanted to see someone about getting into a program, rather than let me schedule an appointment or let me speak to someone as I requested, they instead do everything but.

I was wanting to get into a program and was rerouted and forwarded from office to office because no one knew anything. Finally, they send me to what was the head office/head person in charge of the programs. Great, now I'm finally going to see someone who can tell me what's what and tell me what I need to do.

I go in, I ask if they're available or if I can make an appointment to speak with them. Nope. Instead, the secretary takes my questions, ONE AT A TIME, walks into the office, asks the question to the person in charge, comes out, gives me an answer. We repeat this like 4 times in the meeting, where apparently I cannot be allowed to speak directly to this person and have to use their assistant as a go-between.

"He says you need to go to the office of X"
"They sent me here because they couldn't answer my question."
(Walks into office)
"He says he went to the office of X and that they sent him here."
"Tell him to go to the Department of Y."
(Walks out of office)
"You need to go to the Deapartment of Y."
"I did that, too, they sent me to the Office of X which sent me here."
(Walks into Office)
"He said they sent him to X."

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

Miranda posted:

Yeah I go to Armstrong so ya'll SCAD people amuse me. Although because I'm a foreigner everyone thinks I go to SCAD. I've also worked at your bookstore - some of the kids just kill me with their ridiculous behaviour. Also I've been seeing a lot of furries around and I do not like it. I saw a flyer for a furry club at Armstrong, I was scared.

My furry roommate claims she started the SCAD furry club and actually abandoned it because it got too toxic. I have no idea who goes there except my cultist roommate's ex-boyfriend, who goes every day wearing a sonic t-shirt, a sonic hoodie and a sonic baseball cap.

I really don't have any good stories about them because they're actually both decent human beings besides the whole furry or the "literally thinks that their OC exists in a parallel universe close enough to ours that they can communicate by thinking & can change places mentally" thing. At some point I'm going to write an anime boyfriend post about the cultist roommate, though, because despite being an alright dude he has a very strange religion.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Apr 2, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A school once told me to spend a few thousand dollars taking a class at an out-of-district community college so I'd be eligible for transfer into one of their programs (that I'd ALSO have to retake at their school upon being accepted, so I'd be out a lot money and time twice over).

I made plans, was about to drop the hammer and do it, and asked them again to make sure.

"Um, no, you'd still be ineligible for acceptance even if you took those community college classes." I reminded them of our previous conversation and their response was along the lines of, "Oh, I know I said that, but..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've read about SCAD and noticed that an alarmingly large amount of people there despite taking classes that utilize Photoshop, Maya, etc. are extremely incompetent with technology to the point where they don't know how to open the setup for the free Adobe CS5 they got.

• Locked thread