Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

My undergrad ethics teacher wants us to write a total of 3750 words for our two hour final. Ignoring the content completely, I don't even think I can physically write that much in that span of time. By the way, 3750 words is 2.5 times the length of the term paper we had to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Zeether posted:

I've read about SCAD and noticed that an alarmingly large amount of people there despite taking classes that utilize Photoshop, Maya, etc. are extremely incompetent with technology to the point where they don't know how to open the setup for the free Adobe CS5 they got.

That's every school though. My program has 4 classes you have to take to learn how to use the computers/software and people can't be arsed to go beyond that. We have people graduating who don't even know how to set up the cintiq/tablet software in order to use the computers.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hummingbirds posted:

My undergrad ethics teacher wants us to write a total of 3750 words for our two hour final. Ignoring the content completely, I don't even think I can physically write that much in that span of time. By the way, 3750 words is 2.5 times the length of the term paper we had to do.
Yeah, that's averaging a word every two seconds for two hours straight. Pretty high, seems like.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's every school though. My program has 4 classes you have to take to learn how to use the computers/software and people can't be arsed to go beyond that. We have people graduating who don't even know how to set up the cintiq/tablet software in order to use the computers.

How is that even possible in this day and age of technology?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the computer front, there was no way to actually find out if there were spaces available in a class unless you signed up for it.

You couldn't call any department on campus to find out of ABC 101 had any available seats left. No one would be able to tell you and would instead tell you, "You need to log into your online account and the system will tell you if there are seats available."

Not quite that simple. The system would ONLY tell you the list of all the sections offered, but not tell you if spaces were left or how many. In order to find out if seats were still there, you had to actually go through the process of, "I want to register for this class", at which point you'd be signed up automatically if there were spots available and rejected if not.

However, once you signed up, if you were still in the process of trying to sort out a schedule, if you needed a class that conflicted with it you couldn't sign up for that one while the other was on there. You also couldn't drop any classes if it put you under full-time without seeing a dean or something.

Then you'd get the, "Why did you sign up for this class it if you didn't want to take it?!"

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Although I've graduated the current weather reminds me of something dumb my university used to do.

They had Ice Polishers.

They were golf cart-sized little cars that Campus Operations drove around that had big spinning brushes on them (exactly like a street sweeper would have). They would drive over all the sidewalks on campus in the winter which had the effect of a) removing all the snow so you had nothing for traction and b) polishing the ice beneath the snow into a crystal clear sheen so that you couldn't see it and it had maximum 'slipperyness' (tm). They did not follow this up with salt or ice melt or anything.

I don't think I ever saw even one person walk on the sidewalks during winter because they were a giant icy deathtrap. You ended up with footpaths carved through the snow just 2 feet away from the sidewalk, every year.

Please tell me where this is so I can slip, sue, and retire.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

The cafeteria is literally out of every caffeine-containing drink. This is unacceptable.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

suztan posted:

The cafeteria is literally out of every caffeine-containing drink. This is unacceptable.

drat. Worst I've had is the espresso machine here breaking, which wouldn't be a problem if the nearest Starbucks wasn't like two miles away.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

JediTalentAgent posted:

For grad school miscommunications, I knew a person who was accepted into a grad program only to end up being short a few hundred dollars by the payment deadline. They called the school up, explained their problem, and were told, "Okay, you won't be able to start the program this semester..."

A few weeks later, just before the program was set to start and they'd already made other plans, they got a call from someone at the program asking why they dropped out. They explained the money issue and were told, "Oh, if you were only going to be short a few hundred dollars, we could have given you a grant or a waiver to cover that."

I was accepted into a program, told 24 hours after being accepted I shouldn't have been accepted and wouldn't be accepted after all, then contacted a week or two later to tell me they were waiting for me acknowledge my acceptance.

I've heard so many horror stories about grad school applications having similar problems. I actually did get my entry into graduate school delayed a semester for similar reasons. Basically, I had one undergrad class to finish up in the summer before I could graduate, so I applied to Graduate school in the fall after that. I figured that it'd be no problem, since there was two weeks between final grades being posted and the deadline to send in your degree transcript. I was wrong.

The grad school I was applying to refused to take anything that was not the Official Degree Transcript, which was going to be released three days after the deadline. I tried everything to get them to take me provisionally because I had already received my grades and knew they were good enough. I got my undergrad dean to sign my non-degree transcript certifying that I did graduate, I called everyone in the program I was applying to, and I couldn't get anything to work. I also had the amusing phone conversation where I discovered that I was not eligible for provisional acceptance to the program because I did successfully graduate, and the program was for people who were still finishing their undergrad or something stupid like that.

I ended up just working for a semester and starting up in the Spring, but I still can't get over how hosed that whole situation was.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A department had developed a new online degree and unique in that there wasn't a specific program like it on campus, but it got cancelled before it even began.

Turned out that after doing the work to make an online degree program, the school saw it as too valuable as an on-campus program so they should adapt it and offer up as an on-campus only program.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Apr 2, 2014

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Inspector Zenigata posted:

A person I have had several classes with raped a girl I know and even though the school found him guilty he didn't get expelled. My school is usually ranked in the top five or ten most liberal colleges in the US, so this is making a HUGE controversy that I am unfortunately personally close to, and it's happening right during an academically stressful period that has been extremely trying for me.

People are theorizing that he didn't get expelled because he's a famous philanthropist that started a really famous charitable organization and chose to go to college here, so he's sort of a poster boy for the school.

You can just link to an article about it or something. Everybody knows where you go to school (you said so on the last page of this thread and a bunch of times in the old tumblr thread) so I don't think you need to worry about anonymity or anything.

That's really sucky, though. Just try and put it out of your mind until finals are over. Support your friend, but try and put outrage and collegiate politics (the worst thing) away and focus on your classwork - One of the best things I learned in my undergrad was how to support loved ones without derailing my own life.

In bitter campus news, it snowed on Friday (so, a week ago). They cancelled classes Friday. Okay, whatever, there were some final review sessions I wanted to go to but it really was dangerous.

Then on Sunday night they cancelled Monday finals and moved them to Tuesday.

Then on Monday night they cancelled half of Tuesday's finals and moved them all to Friday. This sucks for me because I now have to miss work on Friday. Bet it sucks more for the kids who already bought plane tickets home.

The conditions today were exactly the same as they were on Monday morning.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I wasn't aware that colleges controlled law enforcement in America?

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If you're taking an introductory class on a foreign language, and you make it to the final exam, and you complain to the instructor that you can't take it because you haven't learned how to read that language's script yet, why are you there?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I couldn't find a real article (probably because of the fact that Hampshire handled it rather than the police) but his name is Lale Zino Labuko; he was just forced to move out of campus housing and not participate in non-academic things on campus. I wasn't trying to protect his anonymity, I was trying to protect my friend's. If I could find a non-tumblr post about it, I'd post it.

I don't even know which cops you guys have. In Amherst you have

1)Amherst PD
2)Amherst College PD
3)UMass Amherst PD
4)Some "Campus Police" thing that's part of none of the above that handles... I don't know. Smith, Mt Holyoke and Hampshire, maybe? The actual town police is smaller than the cops for the colleges.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

The Chairman posted:

If you're taking an introductory class on a foreign language, and you make it to the final exam, and you complain to the instructor that you can't take it because you haven't learned how to read that language's script yet, why are you there?

There is this woman in my Japanese II class (so, roughly 2/4 of the way through the text) who literally cannot write hiragana, the Japanese syllabary system. So when we write on the board answers to questions, her "watashi wa genki desu." looks seriously out of place next to everyone elses' "私は元気です.". Everyone else in that class is otherwise competent and driven, so I just ignore her. v:v:v

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

InEscape posted:

You can just link to an article about it or something. Everybody knows where you go to school (you said so on the last page of this thread and a bunch of times in the old tumblr thread) so I don't think you need to worry about anonymity or anything.

That's really sucky, though. Just try and put it out of your mind until finals are over. Support your friend, but try and put outrage and collegiate politics (the worst thing) away and focus on your classwork - One of the best things I learned in my undergrad was how to support loved ones without derailing my own life.

In bitter campus news, it snowed on Friday (so, a week ago). They cancelled classes Friday. Okay, whatever, there were some final review sessions I wanted to go to but it really was dangerous.

Then on Sunday night they cancelled Monday finals and moved them to Tuesday.

Then on Monday night they cancelled half of Tuesday's finals and moved them all to Friday. This sucks for me because I now have to miss work on Friday. Bet it sucks more for the kids who already bought plane tickets home.

The conditions today were exactly the same as they were on Monday morning.

I think we go to the same place. What we should've had happen is simply had finals delayed until week 1 of next term or had them proctorable or something. There were a ton of crashes and people slipping all over even today.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That inspired me to go on my alma mater's newspaper to see what was going on with regards to snow and finals, and the headline involved the worst professor I ever had. You know the kind of guy that goes "Uhhhh" a lot? Once during an organic chemistry lecture, we counted 50 "uh"'s and "ummms" in five minutes. He was a painfully terrible lecturer for a really important subject. I hate professors where I can do just as well, if not better, studying on my own instead of going to class.

Oh, the headline was him being arrested for peeing on cars while completely hammered, so at least I got a good laugh out of it.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
My undergrad institution has a relatively new degree program in Student Development, and the whole point is to create res life advisors. I cannot possibly think of a lamer career choice than being a glorified professional RA for the rest of your working years. I'd sooner take pride in working at Jimmy John's and making delicious sandwiches every day than having to write up older students in on-campus apartments for having bottles of cooking sherry, or desperately trying to convince awkward freshmen to attend your arts and crafts night with free popcorn.

The saddest part is that several RAs I met actually switched to that major after being so thoroughly brainwashed by the allure of heavily discounted tuition and the idea of not having to get a job in the real world.

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008

I couldn't find a real article (probably because of the fact that Hampshire handled it rather than the police) but his name is Lale Zino Labuko; he was just forced to move out of campus housing and not participate in non-academic things on campus. I wasn't trying to protect his anonymity, I was trying to protect my friend's. If I could find a non-tumblr post about it, I'd post it.

I wanted to read more about this so I googled "Lale Labuko rape" (wow that is a lot of tumblr) and look at the ad that popped up:

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
-

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Aug 17, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I thought cafeteria people watching was just a local phenomenon. Halloween was pretty much the happiest time for these people since they could wear their really interesting suits and have a free pass.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I took a class that requires a B or higher to pass and I cannot sign up for classes that require it until after the grade is officially submitted. One of the classes that requires the B or higher class as a prerequisite is also shared with students from another major who don't have to wait for grades to go up and can just sign up right out of the gate. Said class also has only one session and has filled up to capacity, so now myself and several other classmates have been waitlisted all because my college somehow thinks that locking students out of registering until grades go up is a good idea when the class is shared by another major.

Needless to say I'm quite pissed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My college has had three major security incidents in the past year. The Chancellor who actively covered them up is getting $200000 and a paid leave of absence until her contract is up for her trouble. Meanwhile, students just have to hope that nothing else bad happens which we won't find out until the next day----and even then only through text alerts, for those who signed up for them.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Astrofig posted:

My college has had three major security incidents in the past year. The Chancellor who actively covered them up is getting $200000 and a paid leave of absence until her contract is up for her trouble. Meanwhile, students just have to hope that nothing else bad happens which we won't find out until the next day----and even then only through text alerts, for those who signed up for them.

My campus has had a sexual assault almost every other week (including two in one day outside one of the major entrances), and security doesn't really give a poo poo. The most they've done is asked people to walk in groups. Police only got fully involved when a guy broke into someone's house and tried to assault the people living there too.

We call the area around the school the "rape woods" and the campus "rape central". It's kind of scary that you can't even walk to the campus gym when it gets dark because someone got assaulted there.

The only notifications are through our school email a few days after each assault happens too.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Dec 14, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jesus, the worst my university's had was a burglarizing of the campus store a few years back.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I thought my university was bad for taking 1½ months to grade papers.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I wish my macroeconomics professor gave us the study sheet she promised us instead of showing videos about Keynes and Hayek in a rap battle :(

I also wish my comp teacher spoke English well and didn't go off on tangents about Taoist philosophy and belief at least once per class.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I know this one is petty on my part: A school told me that the only way I could classes through them would be as a non-degree-seeking student. I'd be taking the same classes as everyone else, paying the same price, getting the same ABCDF grade as everyone else, doing the same work.

As a caveat of this, if I would ever attempt to return to their school as a degree-seeking student, NONE of the coursework would count towards the degree.

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012

I go to a similarly silly bullshit school (Hampshire) I know that SCAD and Hamp are both respectable schools, each quite good in its own right and there is a small but very real furry group here, and that's just counting the ones who wear cat ears and such every day; lord knows how many furry sleeper agents walk among the rest of us. I had a class where somebody insisted on being called Zazthameil or something. Real name? Marckus with a ck. Kid was doomed from the start.

A few pages ago, but this just reminded me of my first year at Hampshire in which I ended up with a furry brony roommate. I had to transfer into a different room after the first semester because he was always up until 5-6 in the morning talking with his pals on mumble about fluttershy and poo poo. He was a pretty chill dude besides that, but goddamn there is only so much furry brony conversation I can take at 5 AM.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know this one is petty on my part: A school told me that the only way I could classes through them would be as a non-degree-seeking student. I'd be taking the same classes as everyone else, paying the same price, getting the same ABCDF grade as everyone else, doing the same work.

As a caveat of this, if I would ever attempt to return to their school as a degree-seeking student, NONE of the coursework would count towards the degree.

So were you taking those classes for a degree elsewhere or what?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I ended up not taking them, but apparently they were telling me the only way I could take classes while not attending school full-time would be to register as a non-degree-seeking student and take classes only in the Summer. If I'd try to come back as a full-time student, they said their records would not allow me to use those classes as part of my graduation requirement.

I should likely correct myself to some degree, though: Given that I'd speak with a lot of people, their interpretation of what the final outcome would be were different and no one would agree on it. One person would that it was the policy and that was it. Someone else would say it was the norm HOWEVER I could petition to have them recognize the coursework upon acceptance into a full-time program, but no guarantees.

Nondegree Student Regulations states: "The same grading system is applicable to both degree and nondegree students. Credit earned on nondegree status will not be applicable to a degree except by subsequent admission to degree status and approval of the college."

The bolded part was the bit of the gray area. Even being accepted into a degree-granting program, the college itself could still say it's at their discretion if they'll accept them for the graduation requirements.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh, I am so glad this thread exists. I need to vent about this.

So I decided that I'd reapply to college after a year out due to personal reasons, thinking some change in my life might do me good. I applied for a class in 3D modelling and multimedia illustration, in about April. No problem, unconditional place on the course, yada yada see you in September. September comes around and I enrol only to be told that the course itself has changed; I'll now only spend one half of the time doing the course I signed up to do, and I have to choose a second course to fill in the other half of the time. My only options are Photography, Fine Art or Graphic Design. None of these have any relevance to anything I want to do in the future, none of them are anything I would voluntarily take, but here I am being told to choose one or I have no course to go on. It was far too late to reapply elsewhere, and I didn't want the soul-crushing boredom and depression of another year doing nothing. So I've essentially been tricked into doing a course I have no interest in doing whatsoever.

But there's more.

Course hours were listed, and we got Wednesday mornings off. Great! I can sleep in. Except, no I can't, because three weeks in we get it sprung on us that we also have to take a mandatory Wednesday morning "Functional Skills" class that teaches THE most basic English and Maths skills. Like, sub-GCSE level things. The diagnostic test had you spell the word "bread"... with all the consonants filled in already. I have an A level in English and Maths, so I ask if I can just not do the Functional Skills thing... Nope. Even though I have qualifications far in excess of the material, it's still mandatory.

So I'm stuck in two classes I absolutely loathe that I was told nothing about before the first day.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

My campus has had a sexual assault almost every other week (including two in one day outside one of the major entrances), and security doesn't really give a poo poo. The most they've done is asked people to walk in groups. Police only got fully involved when a guy broke into someone's house and tried to assault the people living there too.

We call the area around the school the "rape woods" and the campus "rape central". It's kind of scary that you can't even walk to the campus gym when it gets dark because someone got assaulted there.

The only notifications are through our school email a few days after each assault happens too.

Holy poo poo do people not call the police on sexual assaults what the everloving gently caress?

Where is that psyduck head exploding gif?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm finally done and probably failed 3 of my 4 finals, but I'm done!

Got 5% removed off my paleo lab final because I gave my info to a fellow student, felt guilty and confessed.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Holy poo poo do people not call the police on sexual assaults what the everloving gently caress?

Where is that psyduck head exploding gif?

Yeup, because technically other than one attack on campus property by the door the area around the campus isn't school property. You can ask security to walk you to the edge of school property and then you're on your own the second you step off into the woods/street. One attack was at the intersection where you turn off of to get to the school.

I think it took them an hour or so to report the one attack to the police, and that was only because he came back less than half an hour later to attack a different woman a second time.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Dec 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Yeup, because technically other than one attack on campus property by the door the area around the campus isn't school property. You can ask security to walk you to the edge of school property and then you're on your own the second you step off into the woods/street. One attack was at the intersection where you turn off of to get to the school.

I think it took them an hour or so to report the one attack to the police, and that was only because he came back less than half an hour later to attack a different woman a second time.

Please tell us where you go so that I can tell everybody I know to never go there.

• Locked thread