Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know what's bad? Showing up forty-five minutes late to the final.

You know what's worse? Showing up that late when you're the professor.

I'm 95% certain he didn't even have the final written when we finally sent someone out to hunt him down at fifteen minutes past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Every post in this thread is a reminder that, 6 months out of college, thank gently caress I am out of college. It gets better friends, 100% promise

its never that easy to get laid again, just fyi

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Well I passed everything, got decent grades. Overall, stress is much lower and I get to enjoy the rest of this year.

Feels nice, man.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

The hero our class needs.

He was visibly perturbed in our last class period after checking how much the price of our required texts for his next class had risen; this message arrived a little late.

Thank you Mike.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Huh? Loop and node equations are most definitely part of basic circuit analysis... Laplace is a tad higher level, and im kinda pissed that i learned it first in my ENA class as "ok just replace d with s and d squared with 2s" rather than in my signals class as an extension of fourier...

Loop and node are basic. Laplace and phasor are not.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

A White Guy posted:

Every post in this thread is a reminder that, 6 months out of college, thank gently caress I am out of college. It gets better friends, 100% promise

its never that easy to get laid again, just fyi

Don't worry the honeymoon wears off and it gets lovely.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bomrek posted:

The hero our class needs.

He was visibly perturbed in our last class period after checking how much the price of our required texts for his next class had risen; this message arrived a little late.

Thank you Mike.

I had a prof that admitted that "requiring" a textbook was mandatory but she wasn't going to teach anything from it so we shouldn't buy it. She essentially admitted that as a prof she was forced to choose a textbook because that was the status quo but she didn't agree with it so she told us to basically help her fight the system by not buying her required texts and she taught what she felt like teaching instead. She's super cool and I volunteer as an assistant on her field trips now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I had a prof that admitted that "requiring" a textbook was mandatory but she wasn't going to teach anything from it so we shouldn't buy it. She essentially admitted that as a prof she was forced to choose a textbook because that was the status quo but she didn't agree with it so she told us to basically help her fight the system by not buying her required texts and she taught what she felt like teaching instead. She's super cool and I volunteer as an assistant on her field trips now.

I've actually been pretty lucky about textbooks in my last couple of semesters. I've had textbooks written by the department that they gave away as a PDF, books that they intend to use over a series of courses (my Calculus book, for example, got used in three courses) and professors who just come out and say they assign the book as a supplemental. Sadly, that is going to end next month where one course is going to have a required textbook with a required workbook.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Text books haven't been a burden on me in my program for the past few years but buying hundreds of dollars worth of supplies and materials every semester has filled in that money sink gap.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
I never had much problems with books, most editions tend to have a PDF floating somewhere.

It's mostly the online HW bullshit that burns my wallet. I hate those things, they're wastes of time and generally do not help on exams. Profs. generally fixate on lecture problems or textbook work.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Dear Sir, I would like to make a request of change in the grade to B from the current grade of C+ because otherwise I will have repeat the course and paying out pocket for the studies is not possible for me with family. This semester I had an agreement with my company that I will get atleast B or better in order to get reimbursement for my fees. I would deeply appreciate for your kindness regarding it. I understand you have to consider all the student but can you kindly consider this as a special case and grant it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm taking a language class in a non-serious manner (its been a lot of fun), and this CC, which cannot have more than a 700 students, has a full-time loving parking Nazi. Small town extension CCs :cripes:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's time for textbook fun!

"$225 for a textbook?! Grrr.... well it's required to do the homework. Wait a second, this doesn't come with the online access code. With the code it's... $350!! :eek:"

gently caress you, textbook publishers. gently caress you sidewise with a rusty spike covered dildo that's been left in the freezer over night.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Served on a PRC(tenure review groups) as a student rep a year ago. I thought I was mad at textbook fuckery. As it turns out if a professor is up for tenure they have to play the textbook game or the board knocks you for "failing to take the business end of college seriously".

We have a historian who uses free web articles, is massively popular, and has won teaching awards from a sister school. He gets ratfucked in every tenure cycle because he's not quiet about admin fuckery and he openly dogs on expensive textbooks. The staff in my committee went in on him for "sabotaging our relationship" with the campus bookstore.

Also as a student employee gently caress the campus bookstore. They insisted on being the ones with the Student ID machine for some reason. Which would have been fine but then they tried to get all student workers(event board, peer mentors, work study, etc) to cover shifts at the store they just downsized.

The reason? Students keep coming in for IDs and the clerks can't run the printer and register counters simultaneously.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Razorwired posted:

Served on a PRC(tenure review groups) as a student rep a year ago. I thought I was mad at textbook fuckery. As it turns out if a professor is up for tenure they have to play the textbook game or the board knocks you for "failing to take the business end of college seriously".

I hate buying textbooks from the school for that reason. I'm going to have to buy a small one this semester and I'm kind of annoyed at it. It's a foreign book and so even though I can get it for half price online (about $10 instead of the $20 they want to charge), it'll take too long to reach me. It's petty in the face of a $600 bill for my textbooks just for some electives that aren't even in my major, but every dollar counts.

What i'm probably going to do for my stupidly, insanely, are-you-loving-kidding-me expensive textbook is pay the $120 fee for the homework access (can I reiterate that "gently caress you" here?) and spend $3 on the previous edition of the textbook for the readings.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Razorwired posted:

We have a historian who uses free web articles, is massively popular, and has won teaching awards from a sister school. He gets ratfucked in every tenure cycle because he's not quiet about admin fuckery and he openly dogs on expensive textbooks. The staff in my committee went in on him for "sabotaging our relationship" with the campus bookstore.

Also as a student employee gently caress the campus bookstore. They insisted on being the ones with the Student ID machine for some reason. Which would have been fine but then they tried to get all student workers(event board, peer mentors, work study, etc) to cover shifts at the store they just downsized.

The reason? Students keep coming in for IDs and the clerks can't run the printer and register counters simultaneously.

Wow. Our bookstores are separate businesses and my department doesn't give a poo poo about our business relationship. We even put copies of our textbooks on reserve in the library for students to use. If they're short staffed, they can hire more people, I would raise hell if people tried to take my student workers for nonsense like that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had to buy a fifty euro textbook once

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Two compulsory classes in semester 2, both follow-ups to semester 1. Both take place same day, same time, in two different campuses. :downs:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

The only course available to complete my minor was cancelled 3 days ago.

Welp another semester it is! :suicide:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Before I get last term's exams graded I can't get the grades for the courses.

Before I get the grades for the courses I can't get my degree.

Before I get a degree getting a job will be drat hard.

I don't even know if I passed all the exams you slow assholes. All of these days doing nothing I could've spent redoing poo poo if I did fail any.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I've spent nearly $400 for e-book access so I can do my homework. More likely than not, the e-book will remain unread since the professors will cherry-pick what they feel is important. Just make your own assignments so we don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to do our homework.

Thankfully, it's my last semester.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My thermodynamics class is not using the online assignments from the textbook manufacturer! Yay!

But all the tests are open book and the professor demands the current hardcover edition, no international editions. Oh, and apparently he's decided to teach the course in Imperial units because thermodynamics wasn't considered difficult enough.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

One of my classes is using a Google site instead of blackboard this semester which sounds fine until you realize all of the files on the site are locked away behind permissions set so you can only access them if you're logged in through your school email google account. I have three google accounts now: Internet, personal and school. Guess which one is the default (It's not school). I'm having a hell of a time opening up any of these documents because my accounts keep defaulting to the not-school ones and even when I switch to the school account first it still thinks I'm on my other ones and denies me permission or just puts me back on the default Google Drive page for my school account without the document I'm trying to access. I wish he were just using blackboard for these docs. At least I don't have to deal with account permissions and switching.

Oh and the link to the student questionnaire he linked is actually the Edit link for his form so there's no way to answer it since trying to do anything causes you to start editing his survey.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Oh, and apparently he's decided to teach the course in Imperial units because thermodynamics wasn't considered difficult enough.

What the gently caress

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

FPzero posted:

One of my classes is using a Google site instead of blackboard this semester which sounds fine until you realize all of the files on the site are locked away behind permissions set so you can only access them if you're logged in through your school email google account. I have three google accounts now: Internet, personal and school. Guess which one is the default (It's not school). I'm having a hell of a time opening up any of these documents because my accounts keep defaulting to the not-school ones and even when I switch to the school account first it still thinks I'm on my other ones and denies me permission or just puts me back on the default Google Drive page for my school account without the document I'm trying to access. I wish he were just using blackboard for these docs. At least I don't have to deal with account permissions and switching.

Oh and the link to the student questionnaire he linked is actually the Edit link for his form so there's no way to answer it since trying to do anything causes you to start editing his survey.

Open chrome in incognito, log in with school Google account? It'll step around weird account remembering funkiness.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Silly Newbie posted:

Open chrome in incognito, log in with school Google account? It'll step around weird account remembering funkiness.

Thankfully I was able to contact him, explain the situation, and he was able to alter settings (I think he turned off user authentication) and I can access it without a problem now. His questionnaire got fixed too. Now I just have to cope with the fact I'm sitting through a 200-level critical thinking & writing class that's gonna teach me one way to think and write while I also take a 200-level journalism writing class that will teach me the exact opposite methods so I can do journalism better. Bleh.

Oh well. At least I have some interesting 300-levels this semester. Asian Government and Politics seems like it'll be an interesting course with a cool professor, and History in Film: 1970s has a list of awesome movies we're going to watch over the semester. We get to watch Blazing Saddles at one point!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OniPanda posted:

What the gently caress

I know! And I'm not even a "metric is the only system that shall ever be used!" kind of guy. A lot of human measurements don't fit nicely in powers of ten so why not have people use comfortable measurements for those purposes. But science and engineering? For gently caress's sake, standard units exist to make those fields more coherent!

On the plus side, he's walked back the "current edition" stuff so I can just buy a $3 book for the tables we're going to use.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

I know! And I'm not even a "metric is the only system that shall ever be used!" kind of guy. A lot of human measurements don't fit nicely in powers of ten so why not have people use comfortable measurements for those purposes. But science and engineering? For gently caress's sake, standard units exist to make those fields more coherent!

On the plus side, he's walked back the "current edition" stuff so I can just buy a $3 book for the tables we're going to use.

Yeah, I used to be all "imperial is fine" until I started having to do physics and then further into engineering classes. Now I'm all on the :bandwagon: for using metric for calculations. If you want imperial units, convert after :colbert:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

One of my professors this semester is an incredible hard rear end. I've had 4 classes with her so far and in 3 of them she's verbally dressed down a student over some infraction of her draconian rules.

No food, no drink
No electronics in class
No talking
No distractions
Three absences costs a letter grade, 4 is an automatic failure of the course (this is a 3/week course)

She is far more interested in being the Ruler of the classroom than she is in actually teaching.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I really hate that. It honestly just disrupts the class more than the occasional guy watching Youtube on his laptop or whatever.

My sophomore year, my American Government professor just stopped class for literally 20 minutes because a few people were on their phones, and she wouldn't continue class until they had got up and left.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My measurements class the professor would literally send people outside for time out for talking to their neighbors. Personally I was never distracted by talkers, but him ranting about it sure was disruptive.

Re units, it's bad enough dealing with lbs/inches in solids/machine design/etc, thank gently caress thermo and heat transfer here mostly stick to metric. Slug is just such a silly name for a unit.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The criminal justice professor is upping her game.

She spent the last 5 minutes of class complaining/yelling/warning people about leaving the room while she's teaching. As in getting up to go to the bathroom.

She says starting next week anybody who leaves even once when the class has already started is going to be counted as absent. Anybody who comes in even 1 minute after class has started is going to be absent. Anybody who has to leave even one minute before class is over is going to be absent.

Reminder that 3 absences in her class is a failing grade.

I'm pretty sure at this point she's proposing poo poo that is just against college rules. She literally wants people to bring in doctors notes so they can go to the bathroom.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I can count myself lucky that my worst professor story is a math teacher who means well but can't teach for gently caress all. She's one of those Ph. D's that is brilliant, but she's so far removed from undergraduates that she doesn't really "get" how to explain concepts to people who don't already know what she's talking about. Fine person too. Just a worthless professor.

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, I used to be all "imperial is fine" until I started having to do physics and then further into engineering classes. Now I'm all on the :bandwagon: for using metric for calculations. If you want imperial units, convert after :colbert:

It's almost like it is easier to do math in a measurement system in base 10 than... whatever the gently caress imperial pretends to be. I'm all for intuitive measurements, but I'm at the point in my life that I really just want the math to be simple.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Agent355 posted:

She spent the last 5 minutes of class complaining/yelling/warning people about leaving the room while she's teaching. As in getting up to go to the bathroom.

She says starting next week anybody who leaves even once when the class has already started is going to be counted as absent. Anybody who comes in even 1 minute after class has started is going to be absent. Anybody who has to leave even one minute before class is over is going to be absent.

I'm pretty sure at this point she's proposing poo poo that is just against college rules. She literally wants people to bring in doctors notes so they can go to the bathroom.

You're reporting this person to her superior, right?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Agent355 posted:

File a complaint with the dean or whoever is in charge of the department. She's being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat. You probably got some classmates that are willing to go with you. Seriously, I find myself late to class because I'm performing an experiment or my previous class is literally a ten minute walk away. Hell, sometimes profs. are late to class due to meetings and poo poo.

Also, excel can suck my nuts. Quit crashing you piece of poo poo!!!!

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
It's a bit of a ladder jump, but Deans are the answer to many problems.

I am a professor at a college, and last week, three weeks into the semester, a girl walked by our Dean's open office door and said she'd like to graduate this spring with honors but one of her honors classes was cancelled because it only had two students enrolled.

Overnight, an honors section of said class was created, I was assigned to teach it, an online shell for the class was made, the student was transferred into it, and I was handed a new contract giving me basically overload pay to "teach" this honors class. I was then told to fill out a waiver form, basically saying another of her classes counted as this honors class she needed. Overnight. The loving Dean.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Lamech posted:

It's a bit of a ladder jump, but Deans are the answer to many problems.

I am a professor at a college, and last week, three weeks into the semester, a girl walked by our Dean's open office door and said she'd like to graduate this spring with honors but one of her honors classes was cancelled because it only had two students enrolled.

Overnight, an honors section of said class was created, I was assigned to teach it, an online shell for the class was made, the student was transferred into it, and I was handed a new contract giving me basically overload pay to "teach" this honors class. I was then told to fill out a waiver form, basically saying another of her classes counted as this honors class she needed. Overnight. The loving Dean.

Deans are practically the dean from China IL. Voiced by Hulk Hogan and completely badass.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lamech posted:

loving the Dean.

Ftfy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just needed to get a regular "gently caress Mastering ______________ !" here. Feedback? General guidelines? Who needs those! Just do a page of calculations for forty-five minutes for all or nothing!

I wound up resorting to Wolfram Alpha to do the math after I sank about six hours into the assignment over the course of several days. Because solving a system of four equations of complex numbers by hand is pretty much a guarantee of some kind of error.

I take comfort in the fact that there's pretty much no way that the exam is going to be this annoyingly complicated (famous last words).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Random Stranger posted:

I just needed to get a regular "gently caress Mastering ______________ !" here. Feedback? General guidelines? Who needs those! Just do a page of calculations for forty-five minutes for all or nothing!

I wound up resorting to Wolfram Alpha to do the math after I sank about six hours into the assignment over the course of several days. Because solving a system of four equations of complex numbers by hand is pretty much a guarantee of some kind of error.

I take comfort in the fact that there's pretty much no way that the exam is going to be this annoyingly complicated (famous last words).

Not to be the professional rear end in a top hat who is all like "well I have work experience" way post college age, but I'm going to: the feeling of "I burned 6 hours on this poo poo that is probably going to be wrong or thrown away anyways" is valuable work experience.
Source: am in IT as a designer/implementor.

• Locked thread