Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeup, because technically other than one attack on campus property by the door the area around the campus isn't school property. You can ask security to walk you to the edge of school property and then you're on your own the second you step off into the woods/street. One attack was at the intersection where you turn off of to get to the school.

I think it took them an hour or so to report the one attack to the police, and that was only because he came back less than half an hour later to attack a different woman a second time.

Not school security, the loving cops. You call the cops. The police. You dial 911/999/112/whatever your local police emergency number is. If you see or hear of someone being sexually assaulted you CALL THE loving POLICE. You don't rely on campus security to do it, you get on your mobile phone.

Seriously, how hard is it?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In my school campus security were student volunteers who's only job was to give a final warning before calling the real police.

But I thought in the states campus police were just normal police with guns and handcuffs and everything.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

At my school (in Canada) the campus has private security that have no weapons or restraints and will call the cops if they need to escalate things beyond asking someone to leave if they're trespassing or whatever.

It's kind of jarring to see "campus police" having weapons, handcuffs, pepper spray, and such like that one guy in the US who sprayed a line of Occupiers.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Apr 2, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

It's kind of jarring to see "campus police" having weapons, handcuffs, pepper spray, and such like that one guy in the US who sprayed a line of Occupiers.
Maybe I'm used to it since I went to UConn in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, so the school's police were literally the only cops around for miles barring like three state troopers. Yale University has its own police department, but all of its cops are techincally New Haven police officers and they actually serve as backup to the local police (mainly because New Haven is a hellhole). And then there's a ton of schools that only have the unarmed security. It all pretty much depends on where the school and how big it is.

I just found out that what used to drive me crazy about my school, its 16GB/week bandwidth cap, still exists and is still only 16GB a week. I guess it's better than the 7GB a week it was when I first got there, but drat.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
16GB a week per person, or for everyone?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

16GB a week per person, or for everyone?

Per person. It gets messy with routers, though, I remember my roommate hosed me over without realizing it when he streamed the olympics for a day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All term, several of us in one class have been requesting that our marks get posted on Blackboard. Multiple times. He's no luddite; he's posted all of our lecture Powerpoints, has a links page, and custom background.

He keeps saying he will. Our final is on Thursday. Not a single grade has been posted. What the hell? This is his only class! I hate not having my marks available.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Does he not hand back graded assignments or what?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I hate living in Australia. My bandwidth cap is 8gb per month. :qq:

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

The whole concept of "campus police" seems really weird to me in the UK, i'm pretty sure i've never even seen any kind of uni security. Then again UK uni's normally don't even have a campus in the sense that you do in the US so i guess there's less need. Also i didn't live in the main student hall's, i'd imagine security would be more active there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

The whole concept of "campus police" seems really weird to me in the UK, i'm pretty sure i've never even seen any kind of uni security. Then again UK uni's normally don't even have a campus in the sense that you do in the US so i guess there's less need. Also i didn't live in the main student hall's, i'd imagine security would be more active there.

Yeah. UC Merced, where I go, is about a mile outside of town so we need a few cops of our own to deal with disturbances promptly. I'd imagine it's less necessary when the town's grown around the university.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Avshalom posted:

I hate living in Australia. My bandwidth cap is 8gb per month. :qq:

But hey, at least the speeds are too low to realistically use it all!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kavak posted:

Does he not hand back graded assignments or what?

He accepted them all by e-mail!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Dear Professor my name is John Smith i am in your engineering class.Sir this has been a very tough time for me i live by exit 4 on highway and i drive all the way for every single class and i cant even do group study because of the distance i have been studying on my own.i live with my friend my family is in the home country.i have been working very hard to get my masters done i am their only hope.i work odd jobs to save money for my masters so i can complete the studies as fast as possible.life has been very tough for me.

i was'nt able to perfrom good in the first exam but i learnt from that i worked more hard. i have given my best in the final exam. i have always studied alone i just know very few people and this distance where i live has always created problems for me.Please Professor i won't graduate if i dont get a good grade in the subject. i have given my best and i cannot even afford anything. This is the most important thing in my carrier. The grade is everything in this subject. I am very shy person i dont usually ask questions even if i dont understand thats why you never heard from me but i could't stop myself from writing this.Please sir i need a good grade to graduate otherwise i wont graduate.

Sincerely,

John Smith

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

He accepted them all by e-mail!

The best part is when your lovely teachers don't even use the school email so everyone has to frantically make sure that they have the right yahoo or hotmail or god knows whatever the gently caress address the teacher actually uses...

And then says if you didn't send your work to the right one it's your own fault, therefor you deserve to lose a huge chunk of marks.

gently caress you teachers. For a university level course you're all less professional than the 18 year olds straight out of highschool.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The best part is when your lovely teachers don't even use the school email so everyone has to frantically make sure that they have the right yahoo or hotmail or god knows whatever the gently caress address the teacher actually uses...

And then says if you didn't send your work to the right one it's your own fault, therefor you deserve to lose a huge chunk of marks.

gently caress you teachers. For a university level course you're all less professional than the 18 year olds straight out of highschool.

Isn't that kind of thing usually listed front and center in the course syllabus?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

Isn't that kind of thing usually listed front and center in the course syllabus?

What course syllabus? We don't even get assignment sheets for most projects. It's great when the teacher decides on a new assignment within the last 2 weeks when exams are going on and doesn't even write it down (or remember assigning it) too.

This kind of stuff is pretty normal for art school.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I had teacher last semester that used a Bellsouth.net address. I didn't even know that those were a thing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hell, at least they have e-mail. I know in the year 2000 I was trying to get a hold of the head of a program between semesters and couldn't because he 'didn't use e-mail' and wouldn't be back on campus until the start of the semester, so no messages I could even leave for him would reach him until it was too late.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Picnic Princess posted:

All term, several of us in one class have been requesting that our marks get posted on Blackboard. Multiple times. He's no luddite; he's posted all of our lecture Powerpoints, has a links page, and custom background.

He keeps saying he will. Our final is on Thursday. Not a single grade has been posted. What the hell? This is his only class! I hate not having my marks available.

Blackboard is a really awful system and I hate it.

Also, in my Moral Philosophy class (Ugh) during a class 'debate' about voluntary euthanasia on of the guys arguing against it brought up an absolutely terrible metaphor comparing voluntary euthanasia to giving paedophiles child-shaped sex dolls. What a goddamn trainwreck.

Also, the student site isn't letting me change my courses at all so now I have to waste a week getting a few of them changed to something relevant.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Blackboard is a really awful system and I hate it.

Also, in my Moral Philosophy class (Ugh) during a class 'debate' about voluntary euthanasia on of the guys arguing against it brought up an absolutely terrible metaphor comparing voluntary euthanasia to giving paedophiles child-shaped sex dolls. What a goddamn trainwreck.

Also, the student site isn't letting me change my courses at all so now I have to waste a week getting a few of them changed to something relevant.

I wish there was some way to find a philosophy class in which everyone was over 30 or had a career and a kid already, because listening to 18 year olds living in a dorm talk about philosophy sounds like my version of hell. I hope I can take it online someday so I can at least drink a bit to lessen the pain.

Blackboard is awful, but I think ANGEL is worse. Is there anything beyond those two that's useful?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Ariza posted:

I wish there was some way to find a philosophy class in which everyone was over 30 or had a career and a kid already, because listening to 18 year olds living in a dorm talk about philosophy sounds like my version of hell. I hope I can take it online someday so I can at least drink a bit to lessen the pain.

Blackboard is awful, but I think ANGEL is worse. Is there anything beyond those two that's useful?

No, not really. We used some opensource POS called Sakai that was just like Blackboard except, well, even less functional.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
My Campus uses Direct2Learn, it's better then the blackboard mess of the technical college I transferred from

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Ariza posted:

We had a George Carlin routine in my philosophy class (since the first intro to philosophy was required for all majors).

MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
WELL MAH DADDY TOLD ME THAT'S WRONG AND THAT IS WHY IT AIN'T RIGHT.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
THE BIBLE TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.

Seriously. The dude was anti-women's rights, anti-euthanasia, anti-abortion, anti-nudity, and almost everything because 'IT'S WRONG'.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Over three years of a psychology degree I got friendly with one of my lecturers, he was a nerd like me and ended up being my dissertation supervisor. When we met in his office for tutorials meant for discussion about my final year projects we ended up chatting about other bullshit for ages, it happened a few times and because I trusted him as a friend and confidant I ended up talking to him about some of my life poo poo. I was having some mental health issues and confided in him a bunch about my problems such as, after he mentioned the scars he'd noticed on me, my self-harming; he swung that around to his own self-harm issues which I could definitely have done without knowing. I considered him a friend as well as a mentor, I trusted him. I guess I thought he might refer me to the mental health officers on campus - because who can you trust with that sort of thing if not your teachers?

When I handed in my dissertation - reminder that he was the one marking it - he hit on me at the end-of-year party, gave me a ride back to my flat, wanted to come with me inside, which obviously I rejected. That was the last time I saw him. Within days he was messaging me on facebook directly asking me out on dates, asking if I was as interested in him as he was in me. I said no as politely as possible and haven't spoke to him since. He didn't even show up at my - and the rest of my class's - graduation in 2011.

He marked my dissertation 2 marks below what I needed to get a 2:1. :argh:

Wouldn't surprise me if he was a goon so hey Ben, I liked you as a lecturer but gently caress you're a creep. Guy was beyond out of line directly hitting on me and coaching personal information out of me when he was still beyond doubt my teacher, not my friend. I probably should have known better than to tell him poo poo but I trusted him. :sigh:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

tentawesome posted:

In my international relations class while we were discussing Reasons for War 101, one of the students argued that the rational actor theory is invalid because Muslims operate in a radical and unpredictable manner, because their religion mandates that they have to kill all unbelievers to get into heaven.

While a Muslim exchange student was sitting two rows behind her.

Old post, but I've had to use an argument somewhat along these lines in a paper once because my Mil History professor was one of those really old crotchety ex-intelligence types who literally thought that Muslims operated completely differently from Westerners because violent religion etc. I toned it down to the more reasonable stance that people who believe in a higher cause won't always act rationally with regards to self-preservation, but I still felt lovely typing it out knowing I was pandering to the prof's racism. Breezed through the class with an A though despite literally spending every class catching up on my lack of sleep.

Another prof wasn't really complaint-worthy, just tragically hilarious. He had spent somewhere close to two decades in college grabbing various degrees, and his first course of action upon "finishing" (he never really finished doing this) was, unsurprisingly, to get a job as a professor. Except he was so out of touch with the world at hand that he didn't know how to actually communicate with anyone except teaching directly from a textbook, or attempts at appearing hip and cool despite being too nerdy for a class full of engineers. I can't even remember what subject the guy was teaching, but I can remember that he liked to show us all pictures of his wife and dog, every week, sometimes for the period of an entire lecture.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

We had a George Carlin routine in my philosophy class (since the first intro to philosophy was required for all majors).

MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
WELL MAH DADDY TOLD ME THAT'S WRONG AND THAT IS WHY IT AIN'T RIGHT.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
THE BIBLE TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.

Seriously. The dude was anti-women's rights, anti-euthanasia, anti-abortion, anti-nudity, and almost everything because 'IT'S WRONG'.

I had the female version of this in an entry level psych course. Challenged half the poo poo the professor said because apparently it messed with the world view her mom bestowed on her. Almost every time she spoke the venom just poured off her words. You don't have to agree with everything a course teaches you but you definitely don't need to be a poo poo head and prove what a strong independent and intelligent woman you or your mother are to the class.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was accepted into a program, told 24 hours after being accepted I shouldn't have been accepted and wouldn't be accepted after all, then contacted a week or two later to tell me they were waiting for me acknowledge my acceptance.

A friend had gotten an acceptance letter in error because she had the same name as someone who had been accepted. My friend, however, was not. She kicked up enough of a stink to be let in though.

It astonishes me any institution lets their employees use their personal email addresses for work stuff like that. I'm pretty sure in Canada it is against privacy laws.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
To join in campus PD chat, last year at my university two people were mugged literally in the parking lot of the campus police department, which is fully lit and lies beside the third busiest street in the town. My university used to have at least one sexual assault or mugging a week on campus, due to an unlit 70ft tunnel that went under a road over to the freshman dorms, but thankfully someone in the administration had the wherewithal to brick up the tunnel and just paint a drat crosswalk across the road several years ago.

The first year I was here, the university wound up on the national news after the football team, allegedly under the direction of their head coach, stole every single copy of the campus newspaper. They were trying to cover up the story about two of the football players getting a few prospective students ridiculously high on weed and pills (one of the high-schoolers had called 911 because he thought he was dying) during a visitation weekend. Neither the team or the coach received any disciplinary action. Me and several dozen other people were going to protest this gross misconduct on the part of the athletics department and university administration, but were told quite clearly that if we did so, we would all be expelled and campus PD wouldn't be gentle in breaking up our protest.

I took a Modern European History course this last semester. One week we watched The Lives of Others, a fantastic film about life in 80s East Germany. One of the students, who happens to sound a lot like Kermit the Frog, groaned and moaned during every nude/sex scene in the film. Considering it's a film about police surveillance in a failing Soviet state, the sex scenes were overwhelmingly depressing and not at all erotic. Everyone in the class had to sit through Kermit groaning in arousal as a woman was coerced into having sex with a government official under threat of imprisonment, and then he began groaning again a few minutes later when you saw her nipple as she stood in the shower and cried after being raped.

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009
I moved across the country for graduate school. As agreed in a contract I signed with the school, I would get paid 2300$/month. So I saved up and moved inSeptember, assuming I would get paid in October when school began. Except they forgot to tell me that I wouldn't be paid until November. Ok that's not great, I borrowed money against that paycheck and scraped through that month, then borrowed a smaller amount against the subsequent paycheck to pull me through at 1500$/month. Now I've paid back both loans but the school also has stopped paying me a full 700$ That I'm owed. So for Thanksgiving I was short, and it took several weeks to resolve and get paid, during which time I got to bounce my rent check. Surely this cannot happen again, I thought. But now the new paycheck is a full 700$ short again, and oh, the only person that can fix it is on vacation for three weeks. She is in charge of 10,000 graduate students accounts. I'm glad I gave up making money to go back to below poverty levels and not be able to pay rent again!

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

One of my professors wrote the textbook for the course, which isn't unusual. However, the book is out of print and is $300 everywhere I've seen it. The punchline is that the class is online and only has two test grades (and an optional final) making up the entirety of the course.

Obviously I'll drop the class rather that buy this gently caress's book if I absolutely can't muddle through without it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The best solution is to just pretend you have the book and agree with everything the prof says, while complimenting how well it was written. Then suggest that you'd like to help him with future editions.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
waitlists are the stupidest thing.

I've been on the waitlist for this required class since the end of november I was #1 on the waitlist. I've gone to all the class meetings so far this semester ( only 2 but still ) just got an email saying I'm being dropped from the class cause some idiot who probably just signed up for it called the registar and whined until they got bumped up to the top so when a spot did open up he got it.

gently caress that guy seriously

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
^I'd call them up myself and raise holy hell.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I'm glad this thread is here, I have a quick one from yesterday. I knew this English class was going to be awful, she assigned us 6 2-page essays for the first week's homework, in addition to 4 chapters in the book. One of the chapters is about marking corrections on a paper, and has a "try this" essay in the book to practice on. I got points marked off for not writing corrections in my textbook for that essay. I have the goddamn Kindle version. gently caress this class.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm glad this thread is here, I have a quick one from yesterday. I knew this English class was going to be awful, she assigned us 6 2-page essays for the first week's homework, in addition to 4 chapters in the book. One of the chapters is about marking corrections on a paper, and has a "try this" essay in the book to practice on. I got points marked off for not writing corrections in my textbook for that essay. I have the goddamn Kindle version. gently caress this class.

What the gently caress. Do you have to color in the pictures too?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
It's community college, not Harvard, jesus dude

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The last few classes I took a few years ago were all online, so this poo poo:

gently caress you, every online test/quiz submission system ever invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Oh god gently caress mathXL.

• Locked thread