Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Dammerung posted:

Just found out today that my institution has been mistakenly thinking of me as a Sophomore because the credits I got from my previous institution don't seem to have transferred over yet. It's only been a year and a half, it seems like it should have been more than enough time for those credits to have been counted, but what do I know?

This happened when I transferred with an Associate of Arts degree from community college to a state school for my BS. After a full semester of being there I was still considered a sophomore on the school's system and I had to keep pestering my department for manual overrides for every class I wanted to take. In the meantime, the good classes would fill up and I'd be relegated to the bad professors in the early morning periods. The admin people blamed my former institution for "sending the transcript wrong" but finally, after pestering them three times in person, they came back apologizing because apparently some dumbass forgot to flip over my transcript and read 16 credits' worth of prereq classes on the last page.

This same school also served chicken that was still bloody in the middle in the dining halls, and on occasion we'd even have "French fry bars" where the main entree that day was our choice of curly fries, waffle fries, sweet potato fries, steak fries, and regular fries. How nutritiously balanced! When the student body complained about the poor quality of the food, the Sodexo reps calmly stated that the only way to provide better meals was to hike meal plan prices and crack down even harder on students taking food outside the hall. Clearly, us taking an orange and a few cookies was sending Sodexo into bankruptcy.

Let's see... they've also (1) sold my personal information to credit card companies who keep spamming me with applications to get cards with the school logo on it, (2) they call me every year asking me to donate to some bullshit project like a fountain with no educational merit, and then (3) act completely baffled as to why anyone in our generation might not have a steady job immediately after graduating that allows us to donate to our alma mater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ketchupface posted:

Also, I have three roommates in a two-room dorm and one has literally never stayed the night, one is a furry and the last is in a cult.

I, for one, would gladly hear stories about this motley crew in either the bad roommate or anime husband threads.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My undergrad institution has a relatively new degree program in Student Development, and the whole point is to create res life advisors. I cannot possibly think of a lamer career choice than being a glorified professional RA for the rest of your working years. I'd sooner take pride in working at Jimmy John's and making delicious sandwiches every day than having to write up older students in on-campus apartments for having bottles of cooking sherry, or desperately trying to convince awkward freshmen to attend your arts and crafts night with free popcorn.

The saddest part is that several RAs I met actually switched to that major after being so thoroughly brainwashed by the allure of heavily discounted tuition and the idea of not having to get a job in the real world.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Last fall when I submitted my financial aid request for $7500 in unsubsidized Stafford loans, I expected to get it all that semester. Nope! They decided to split it in half and give me $3750 then and $3750 now. I got about a grand back as a refund, which was quickly spent on food, gasoline, and bills over a few months. So last month I sent in another form asking for another $8000 to cover my living expenses until September and I still haven't seen a single penny of it despite my account showing a zero balance for weeks. When I went to bitch to the financial aid department today, I learned that:

1. "Oh, that's weird, they shouldn't have done that" about splitting the first request
2. "Our advisors only meet with students Monday through Thursday. My boss only sees students by appointment."
3. "So you didn't want the Perkins loan then?"
4. "It says here they declined to give you the full amount for the second request, but maybe because you only checked the Spring semester box" well duh, Fall's already done with.

I'm thinking that they screwed me over to try and force me into accepting their Perkins loan because then the school can make more profit off the interest. They can eat my poo poo if they think they can deny my funding because I'm just a little walking profit engine to them. Someone's getting a new anus on Monday.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Preem Palver posted:

It can really vary from place to place. My local CC's teachers were either young adjuncts at nearby universities teaching classes on the side at a CC and were awesome, or crazy fuckheads that somehow had advanced degrees but couldn't teach anywhere else. The Biology teacher was a creationist that didn't believe in evolution or germ theory. My US History to 1877 teacher spent at least 10 minutes of every lecture ranting that African-Americans were better off as chattel and that they should be grateful to white people for taking them out of Africa, and would outright deny that there was any evidence of slaves being mistreated or abused in any way.

Hahaha, I also had a CC teacher who taught Microbiology and Gen Bio II while being a creationist. At least she was a professional microbiologist and understood germ theory, and while she didn't agree with evolution she just sort of skimmed the top of the basics within 30 seconds and didn't test on it. She did once have to give a student a point back on their test when they answered "Name a species of marsupial" with "Tazmanian devil" and she honestly didn't know that Taz from Looney Tunes was based on a real thing.

My history teacher, on the other hand, was the total opposite of yours. The answer to everything was basically "white people are awful and we should all feel ashamed of ourselves for persecuting everything no matter how long ago it happened or what our own beliefs actually are." We spent 3 classes watching Amistad to somehow reinforce that point...?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Ha. That's probably one of the many "surprise" fees they tack onto your bill. Student Union fee, the Fee for the Gym you'll never use, the Alumni fee, etc.. If you look at the breakdown (which is rarely made publicly-available), it's insane how many 'incidental' fees students pay for on top of their tuition. My wife went to Guelph, and one of the fees students their have to pay is an "Aboriginal fee". Nobody could figure out what that fee was for.

I pay at least $500 in fees for things I'll never use every semester. It's not much, but I see this as a justification to bring all my recycling to school and dump it in their bins so I don't have to pay for the service at home. (Chicago hates the environment.)

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TunaSpleen posted:

This same school also served chicken that was still bloody in the middle in the dining halls, and on occasion we'd even have "French fry bars" where the main entree that day was our choice of curly fries, waffle fries, sweet potato fries, steak fries, and regular fries.

I finally found the picture I took of this crime against starch.

This is supposed to be at the nicest dining hall on campus. The administration sometimes has meetings here, but naturally they got nice catered meals while we got scurvy.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Double Plus Good posted:

I seriously hate this as well, even though I majored in an allied health field that has pretty good post-graduation job security (99% employment rate for all graduates in the last 5 years). My university was recently posted low on some ROI list, and some of my friends who fit the Business or STEM Major from Big State College were being smug about it. We're a liberal arts university whose biggest majors are art, music, theatre, and education, no loving poo poo our graduates aren't making the big bucks. Pretty sure nobody dreams of being an elementary school teacher rolling in the dough. The term "starving artist" has been around for a long time, dudes, nobody is going to be surprised.

Plus, not every STEM field is hopping in demand. I study evolutionary biology--aside from scant positions at colleges and natural history museums, I may as well become an overqualified biology tutor. My advisor specializes in snake systematics but he told me to play up any other areas I'm good at (such as microbiology) to increase my chances of getting a job after my Ph.D.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My school's biology department wants to implement a portfolio requirement of all graduate students to ensure that we're learning, able to synthesize information and think critically, all that good stuff. They even entered the requirement into the course description books. The problem is, this concept is so new that none of the faculty (including those who proposed the idea) know what it is we should be doing, have made no effort to enforce anything, and haven't informed the other faculty how to implement it. My advisors like me and don't want to delay my graduation, so I'd better not be stuck with "But you didn't do your first semester self-evaluation essay!" or some retroactive bullshit like that. Wouldn't my research thesis published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal be evidence enough of my competence?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

Here's my shitfest:

An incident extremely similar to yours happened a few years ago to my fiance in a brief timespan between him getting on antidepressants, us dating, and planning for postgraduate studies. I don't want to derail the thread with more E/N college dorm drama but you don't have platinum/PMs so you can message me at medya_bertoxx@hotmail.com if you ever feel alone in stupid RA political poo poo.

The details I will spill for the thread:

-My fiance once casually debated the position of agnosticism with a very devout Baptist girl, and she felt so personally offended that someone else wasn't a Christian that she complained to the hall director, who later convinced her to claim he was sexually harassing her because of it
-A dorm hall total population of 130, and half of the RAs plus the assistant hall director were all in the same sorority... nope, not breeding rumors here, we promise!
-Fiance also attempted to stick up for the one male RA whose community projects (like free popcorn and arts and crafts, you know that sort of dumb dorm poo poo) were getting sabotaged by the women RAs because they honestly decided one day that they didn't like him
-RAs pathetically attempting to spy on me for a semester just for being affiliated with the kind of guy who makes friendly banter with theists is an evil agnostic sexual predator

This was in a dorm exclusively for upperclassmen and non-traditional students, so the youngest person involved was 20 and the oldest was... ugh. 53. High school never truly ends.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

Awful physics professor

I briefly had an ancient Physics 101 professor who wore his pants halfway up his torso, used a pocket protector, and generally looked like he crunched numbers in the control room back when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. He didn't teach from our absurdly expensive textbook but still tested from it and gave us bafflingly stupid examples about "a cow-shaped dot" and questioned us on "If gravity is acting on you equally to the Earth pushing back, then how do you manage to move around?"

He refused to accept "our mitochondria generate adenosine triphoshate and the detachment of an inorganic phosphate releasing energy is what overcomes physical resistance" as an answer. I dropped the course two weeks in because I didn't like walking out of class feeling dumber than when I walked in. Fortunately, basic physics was also taught by a pair of women who treated every lecture like an episode of Beakman's World and made physics awesome.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Irradiation posted:

So you gave a smart-rear end answer to a physics problem, and somehow he's the bad guy?

I was among 20 other biology students because it was the class for non-physics majors. Several of us contributed that answer but the old fart didn't appreciate not getting to see our pained facial expressions. If a student acknowledges that they're the force that keeps themselves from remaining at rest, they should be encouraged instead of insulted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

N. Senada posted:

The important part is that you were a self-righteous rear end to an old man. You and 20 other people certainly showed him.

Before or after he demonstrated how horribly one can possibly teach a subject by hastily scrawling a bunch of equations without explaining them and asking trick questions for his own amusement? Teaching to non-majors should be an effort to inspire them to have some interest in your field beyond the classmate who said "ugh when will I ever use this, if I find a raccoon in a pulley or something?" At least the other professors made it interesting by explaining the physics of flight in birds and the light spectrum we use to see. And no loving cow-shaped dots or anything idiotic like that.

• Locked thread